╌>

Senate expressly condemns anti-Semitism, after Democrat-led House 'can't bring itself' to do the same

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  5 years ago  •  24 comments

Senate expressly condemns anti-Semitism, after Democrat-led House 'can't bring itself' to do the same
"This resolution was also prompted unfortunately by the inability of the House of Representatives to come together and vote on a resolution straightforwardly and directly condemning anti-Semitism. Too many in political life have given into the extremes, including the embrace of boycotts and at times outright hatred for Israel, the world's only Jewish state."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The Senate unanimously passed a   resolution  on Thursday explicitly and unequivocally condemning anti-Semitism, after the Democrat-controlled House  abandoned a similar effort   in March in favor of a resolution broadly disapproving of all forms of bigotry.

The   new resolution , introduced by Texas Republican Ted Cruz and Virginia Democrat Tim Kaine, calls anti-Semitism "a unique form of prejudice stretching back millennia that attacks the equal humanity of the Jewish people."

"The Senate did what the House couldn't," a senior Senate aide told Fox News. "It said that anti-Semitism is a unique kind of bigotry that needs to be uniquely condemned. Everyone knows that's obviously, objectively true. The question is why the House can't bring itself to say so."

The resolution comes weeks after California Democrats   considered  a proposal that would have indirectly blamed Israel for right-wing anti-Semitism and violence. It also follows a series of comments from prominent freshman Democrats, particularly Minnesota Rep. Ilhan Omar, that members of both parties have called anti-Semitic.

Omar ignited a  bipartisan uproar across the country  earlier this year when she suggested on Twitter that some members of Congress have been paid by the American Israel Public Affairs Committee to support Israel. AIPAC is a nonprofit organization that works to influence U.S. policy. ("Let me be really clear," said New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, a Democrat. "Suggesting that support for Israel is beholden to a foreign power is  absolutely unacceptable  and illogical, too.")

ContentBroker_contentid-2b21eb0892464ee7
Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn., has been accused by Democrats and Republicans of being an anti-Semite. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)

Omar -- who also tweeted in 2012 that "Israel has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel" -- has separately suggested this year that Israel supporters were pushing U.S. politicians to declare "allegiance" to Israel.

In remarks on the Senate floor Thursday, Cruz seemed to be calling Omar out.

"We are in the midst of a wave of anti-Semitism seen both here in the United States and all over the world," Cruz said. "In just the last few years, we have seen repeated anti-Semitic comments made publicly, including insinuations questioning the loyalty and the patriotism of American Jews. We've seen physical violence against Jews, including shootings in Jewish places of worship such as the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh and the Chabad in Poway. We've seen a wave of physical attacks against Jews in the streets of New York."

Cruz continued: "This resolution was also prompted unfortunately by the inability of the House of Representatives to come together and vote on a resolution straightforwardly and directly condemning anti-Semitism. Too many in political life have given into the extremes, including the embrace of boycotts and at times outright hatred for Israel, the world's only Jewish state."

ted-cruz-wants-you-to-think-hes-extremel

Omar's remarks earlier this year led to several days of  infighting  and a  near-rebellion  by rank-and-file Democrats in the House, as the party's leaders wrestled with an appropriate response. Some wanted to mention Omar by name and focus on anti-Semitism, while a large and vocal contingent of Democrats said Omar was unfairly targeted.

During debate on the House floor over the resolution, Ted Deutch, a Florida Democrat, slammed his party's leaders for hesitating to sharply condemn Omar, and remarked that supporting language condemning anti-Semitism  "shouldn’t be this hard. "

"Why are we unable to singularly condemn anti-Semitism?" Deutch asked. "It feels like we're only able to call out the use of anti-Semitic language by a colleague of ours -- any colleague of ours -- if we're addressing all forms of hatred. It feels like we can't say it's anti-Semitism unless everyone agrees it's anti-Semitism."

deutch.jpg

Following a last-minute revision, the House in March passed a bipartisan resolution that only indirectly condemned Omar's repeated  'anti-Semitic' and 'pernicious' comments  -- without mentioning her by name.

The final vote was 407-23, with 23 Republicans voting no, and all Democrats, including Omar, voting yes. Iowa GOP Rep. Steve King, who faced his own  bipartisan blowback  for comments purportedly defending white nationalists, voted present.

The final draft of the resolution was expanded at the last minute to condemn virtually all forms of bigotry, including white supremacy, in what Republicans characterized as a cynical ploy to distract from Omar's remarks. Texas Republican Louie Gohmert, speaking on the House floor to announce that he would vote against the resolution, said: "Now [the resolution] condemns just about everything. ... Hatred for Israel is a special kind of hatred. It should never be watered down."

Cruz, speaking Thursday, echoed Gohmert's remarks.

"When the House tried to condemn anti-Semitism, sadly they were instead forced to water it down into a general resolution decrying bigotry of all sorts, listing every group they could think of," Cruz said.

"There's of course nothing wrong with condemning bigotry and hatred in general," Cruz added. "But anti-Semitism is a unique prejudice, with a unique history, that has led to unique horrors throughout history. Jews today are the most targeted religious group in the United States for hate crimes, according to the data compiled by the FBI.

"We need to be able to acknowledge that clearly and directly, and that's what this resolution does."

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

It's not hard to stand up and condemn anti-Semitism.

Thank you Senator Cruz for leading the way!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1  cjcold  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    5 years ago

It said that anti-Semitism is a unique kind of bigotry that needs to be uniquely condemned.

What makes anti-Semitism any more unique than any other form of historical bigotry?

The GOP coming out against bigotry is a ironic laugh.

Ender
Professor Principal
2  Ender    5 years ago

Why is he lying?

This by Cruz is nothing but red meat.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3  Ronin2    5 years ago

H.Res.183 - Condemning anti-Semitism as hateful expressions of intolerance that are contradictory to the values and aspirations that define the people of the United States and condemning anti-Muslim discrimination and bigotry against minorities as hateful expressions of intolerance that are contrary to the values and aspirations of the United States.

This is from the link you provided. Notice they threw in anti-Muslim discrimination, and bigotry against minorities?  That is called watering down. 

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1  Ender  replied to  Ronin2 @3    5 years ago

It is called condemning hate and bigotry, no matter the object.

Why should every minority or faith have a resolution when it can be summed up in one bill.

It is not watering down, that is a talking point.

It was still passed by the House and not taken up in the Senate. Cruz is just playing games.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ender @3.1    5 years ago
It is called condemning hate and bigotry, no matter the object.

Rep  Ilhan Omar is a democratic member of the House. Her anti-Semetic statements were the point of the House resolution. The resolution should have been specific and she should have been censured

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Ender  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.1    5 years ago

And the House resolution was to make it to where hatred should not be leveled at anyone, regardless of religion , minority status or ideology.

That some are against that is unbelievable. It was the right thing to do and condemn all of it.

Rejecting that and focusing on only one aspect is nothing more than political fodder.

Trying to blame the House for doing nothing is still a lie. Blame him and the Senate for not taking up the House bill.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ender @3.1.2    5 years ago
And the House resolution was to make it to where hatred should not be leveled at anyone, regardless of religion , minority status or ideology.

Oh fudge, we all are against that. What was the incident about?

It was the right thing to do and condemn all of it.

No, it wasn't. They didn't want to take on their little anti-Semite, after all that could be a problem, couldn't it?  So they did the cowardly thing. They simply said they were against all forms of discrimination.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Ender  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.3    5 years ago

Saying they are against all forms of discrimination is cowardly?

It makes me think you all only want it about antisemitism just so the doors can be kept open to other bigotry.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.5  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ender @3.1.4    5 years ago
It makes me think you all only want it about antisemitism just so the doors can be kept open to other bigotry.

That is a strange way of thinking. Or maybe it's just an attempt to justify what the House did?

Which is it?

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Ender  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.5    5 years ago

What is odd is saying that a bill condemning all forms of bigotry is wrong.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.7  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ender @3.1.6    5 years ago

We need to get off the merry go round. I've answer it

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ronin2 @3    5 years ago

Yes it is when the issue is anti-Semitism. You make it specifically about anti-semitism

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
3.2.2  Colour Me Free  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2    5 years ago

I agree Vic .. I deleted my comment .. but I do have to say one thing...

Omar is anti Semitic, but is also Muslim .. does that give Omar a pass to be anti Semitic?  I think the lines get blurred .. supposedly hate is everywhere - glad I do not live in a world with white supremacists hiding around every corner like so many others do.

'We' now live in a country where red hats are a trigger and even the media wigs out .. a desire to have a secured border makes one a racist white supremacist afraid of the 'browning' of America .. and the hate supposedly goes on and on - but who are the actual haters?

Peace Vic

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Colour Me Free @3.2.2    5 years ago

You are 100% right, democrats can't condemn Omar.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.3  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Ronin2 @3    5 years ago
Notice they threw in anti-Muslim discrimination, and bigotry against minorities?  That is called watering down.

That's ridiculous. It's not "watering down" anything to condemn hate and prejudice in all its forms. Are you saying Antisemitism is somehow worse or more of a crime than Anti-Muslim or anti-gay rhetoric or actions? Is it okay to malign, hate and discriminate against one minority but not another? Are their class levels for minorities as to which ones we should afford protections and others that shouldn't be? Were the Pink Triangle bearers in the concentration camps and gas chambers somehow treated better than the Jewish victims of the holocaust so we should accept hate and discrimination against gays but scream with outrage if anyone dared do the same to a Jew? The house Democrats voted to condemn all hateful expressions of intolerance, the Republican led senate chose to narrow it because they know many of their supporters still wallow in bitter hate towards gay and Muslim Americans. The foul stench of hypocrisy coming from the Republican legislature is almost overwhelming and it makes compassionate reasonable Americans sick to their stomachs to watch.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.3.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.3    5 years ago

It was done to avoid the issue of rep Omar constantly making anti-Semitic statements. She IS an anti-Semite!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.3.2  It Is ME  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.3    5 years ago
The house Democrats voted to condemn all hateful expressions of intolerance

They've never done that before ?

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.3.3  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.3.1    5 years ago
It was done to avoid the issue of rep Omar constantly making anti-Semitic statements. She IS an anti-Semite!

Did they replace the condemnation of antisemitism with the condemnation of antimuslimism? No. So if Rep Omar is an anti-Semite as so many seem to claim, isn't this still condemning her? Is condemning antimuslimism effectively condoning antisemitism? That seems to be what I'm hearing from the right, as if supporting religious freedom in America for Muslims is somehow anti-Semitic.

I fail to see any difference between the three Abrahamic religions so I choose to treat them all exactly the same. I will not discriminate against any of them but I will tell my children and anyone willing to listen that they are all the same tired archaic bullshit and none have any patent on truth. They've all done horrible things in the past, and all have had horrible things done to them. I view their members more as afflicted carriers of an ancient disease who should be pitied and every effort made to provide comfort for those recovering from such vile afflictions, but none should ever attack or discriminate against them as their virulent indoctrination was forced upon them as defenseless youth. Muslims, Christians, Jews, all forced into servitude of a faith that seems to demand they wage a holy war against the two opposing Abrahamic religions they were not raised in. The world will be a much better place once such useless traditions fade into the past just like those who worshiped Zeus, Baal, Ishtar, Marduk, Ra or Tiamat.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.3.4  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.3.3    5 years ago
So if Rep Omar is an anti-Semite as so many seem to claim, isn't this still condemning her?

No it is not!

Is condemning antimuslimism effectively condoning antisemitism?

No it is not!

That seems to be what I'm hearing from the right, as if supporting religious freedom in America for Muslims is somehow anti-Semitic.

Muslims don't have a special right to hate Jews nor any special rights to do anything.

I fail to see any difference between the three Abrahamic religions so I choose to treat them all exactly the same.

No, you didn't. You are making a case for Omar because she is a Muslim - a special status with liberals

Muslims, Christians, Jews, all forced into servitude of a faith that seems to demand they wage a holy war against the two opposing Abrahamic religions they were not raised in. 

How many religions are engaged in Holy war today?

The world will be a much better place once such useless traditions fade into the past just like those who worshiped Zeus, Baal, Ishtar, Marduk, Ra or Tiamat.

The world will be a better place when liberals treat people as individuals.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.4  Dulay  replied to  Ronin2 @3    5 years ago
That is called watering down. 

Actually, that is called inclusion. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4  seeder  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

Thank you for saying what so many fear to say.

Peace, my friend

JBB
Professor Principal
5  JBB    5 years ago

The damn gop has only false grace in this case. Which is, less than no grace.

The headline should be the gop refusing to condemn all forms of vile hatred...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @5    5 years ago
The world will be a much better place once such useless traditions fade into the past just like those who worshiped Zeus, Baal, Ishtar, Marduk, Ra or Tiamat.

The headline got it right. Liberals only cater to special group & special interests