╌>

Trump's Choice

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  25 comments

Trump's Choice

The premise of this little article is speculative, intended to garner opinions. It is not based on any presently known or existing information.

-

President Trump has said he would be open to information from foreign sources that might help him during his next election. This caused John Harwood of NBC to wonder about something on a cable news show this afternoon. - - -   What if a foreign government or other foreign agent told Trump that they could gain access to US voting machine tabulations , and change the votes in various swing states so as to guarantee Trump wins re-election?

What would Trump do?  Would he report the offer to the FBI and maybe risk losing the election, or would he stay silent and allow a foreign government to fix the US presidential vote on his behalf?

What say you?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Unfortunately, no one knows.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

We can be sure that Democrats would try such a thing because the majority of them will do anything to win.

In spite of what most lefties think, it's not possible to change votes by the means listed.

lib50
Professor Silent
1.1.1  lib50  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    5 years ago

JFC, what a load of projection.  It gets tiresome, really it does.  Trump did it and just admitted he'd do it again, and its A CRIME.  I guess he is above the law, makes on wonder why anybody else would be expected to follow it. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2  MrFrost    5 years ago
What would Trump do?  Would he report the offer to the FBI and maybe risk losing the election, or would he stay silent and allow a foreign government to fix the US presidential vote on his behalf?

To trump, winning is all that matters, I firmly believe he would happily accept help from a foreign hostile nation to win a US election. Mueller report said that's what he did in 2016, no reason to think he wouldn't do it again. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  MrFrost @2    5 years ago

He doesnt know how or when to keep his mouth shut, hence people will speculate.

When Trump talks about accepting politically sensitive information from foreign powers , is he saying that it would be ok to do so in the future, or is he saying it was OK when he did it in the past?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    5 years ago

All he said is that he would listen to it, then report it if it was something illegal.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    5 years ago
is he saying that it would be ok to do so in the future, or is he saying it was OK when he did it in the past?

Yes.

I pointed out the other day that accepting help from a foreign national to win an election is a felony. No one with any power has called him out for it, so why not do it again? 

John, we hear all the time, "they think they are above the law!!!!", both sides do it....the right did it to Obama, the left did it to Bush, etc.. Why is THIS time different? Because trump literally thinks he IS above the law. He equates wealth with power and being part of the "elite class" where the rules don't apply to him. He has been that way all his life. I saw him probably 25 years ago(?) on Regis and Kathy Lee. Regis asked him how can always get building permits in Manhattan when others can't. His reply? "You just have to know which palms to grease." When he was asked if it was illegal? He smiled and said, "there are ways around that". He is a crook and a liar, always has been, always will be. He is scum. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.3  MrFrost  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.1    5 years ago
All he said is that he would listen to it, then report it if it was something illegal.

Yea, he said that after it was pointed out that it was illegal. Mueller report said specifically that he and his campaign did not seek out help from Russia, but when help was offered, he and his campaign ACCEPTED that help. You know what that's called Greg? Say it with me...

FELONY. 

And what are felony's? Impeachable. 

That's why there is a growing call to impeach that orange haired moron. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.3    5 years ago

Lots and lots and lots of whining about impeachment, but I rarely if ever hear a single person calling for it to call out Democrats for not doing it.

PJ
Masters Quiet
3  PJ    5 years ago

We already know he has and would again accept any type of assistance from anyone or any country.

I'm waiting for Trump, his lacky republicans and idiot supporters to introduce ending term limits for Presidents.  Then we need to be concerned that he's already made a deal with a foreign power to hack the voting machines.  

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1  Greg Jones  replied to  PJ @3    5 years ago

How do you hack a voting machine?

Do you really think this way?  jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

PJ
Masters Quiet
3.1.1  PJ  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1    5 years ago

Yes, I really think this way.   I realize that there are many things that can be done now that couldn't be done when I was younger.   Do you?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

I think it was a mistake to ever have changed the paper ballot and pencil system, in order to prevent such manipulation when it is so well known that a computer/internet system is prone to hacking.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.1  PJ  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    5 years ago

I totally agree with you Buzz. 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
4.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    5 years ago

Agreed, without a paper trail there can be no vote confidence.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    5 years ago

Fraud was rampant with paper ballots.

if you ever want to see how brazen electoral cheating can be, read about Lyndon Johnson’s first senate campaign.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.3    5 years ago

What was the fraud?  It had to be human fraud not related to the mechanics of the vote.  In Canada, representatives of every Party are entitled to (and most do) attend at every polling station during the vote and at the counting and reporting of the ballots.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.4  Greg Jones  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    5 years ago

Voting machines are not connected to the Internet, or do you know something we don't?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.4.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Greg Jones @4.4    5 years ago

So you are saying it is impossible to interfere with them.  Funny that cell phones can be espionage agents while electronic computerized voting machines are infallible.  Out of curiosity, how are the results sent out, by Pony Express?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.4.2  MrFrost  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.4.1    5 years ago
Out of curiosity, how are the results sent out, by Pony Express?

Bingo. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5  MrFrost    5 years ago

In WA. we vote by mail, I cannot even remember the last time I went to a voting booth...I think it was the first year I registered...long time ago. 

Ballot shows up in the mail, follow the instructions, (which are fairly specific), send it back. Easy. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6  Tacos!    5 years ago

I think there is no logical connection between what Trump said and the idea of changing votes or tampering with counts.

I am sympathetic to the idea that information - legally acquired - should be considered a thing free to be received and disseminated. Obviously we don't want to encourage bad behavior like espionage. I'm not talking about that. But we live in an age of free, global information. I think if we are going to try to criminally prosecute the transmission of legally acquired information, we are going to become overwhelmed very quickly. 

luther28
Sophomore Silent
7  luther28    5 years ago

What would Trump do?

In truth the premise is so outrageous that I actually believe that lunatic that Mr. Trump might be, even he would turn it down.

But then again with the things rattling around in his noggin, one really never knows.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  luther28 @7    5 years ago

Trump is a morally and ethically compromised individual. That is the main reason he is not qualified to the president of the United States.  We can hope he would never collude to have the election vote totals rigged in his favor, but there is no way , imo, it could be ruled out.  People don't call him a malignant narcissist for nothing. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
7.2  PJ  replied to  luther28 @7    5 years ago

Your assumption that this is so over the top that even trump would not do it is exactly how trump got elected (aside from the fact that we have a larger constituent than we thought of racists, misogynist and just plainly put, stupid people in America).  People didn't think he would be so corrupt but we've seen from him is time after time actively try to destroy America from the inside out. 

YES, he WILL do whatever is necessary to become the next putin.