╌>

New study finds surprising cure for stress

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  67 comments

New study finds surprising cure for stress
By spending a minimum of two hours outside a week, people may see reduced stress and depression, as well as lowered blood pressure and help with asthma, new research suggests.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Small steps to a healthier you. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  Krishna    5 years ago
y spending a minimum of two hours outside a week, people may see reduced stress and depression, as well as lowered blood pressure and help with asthma, new research suggests.
I wonder if it also works if the time spent outside is time spent not being aware of surroundings (i.e.being absorbed in being aware only of an electronic device such as a smartphone or laptop and not being aware of one's actual surroundings?).

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Krishna @2    5 years ago
I wonder if it also works if the time spent outside is time spent not being aware of surroundings (i.e.being absorbed in being aware only of an electronic device such as a smartphone or laptop and not being aware of one's actual surroundings?).

An excellent point. People are so involved with their technology that they don't enjoy their surroundings. I even see this with couples out to eat a nice dinner. It is really sad. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3  dave-2693993    5 years ago

Maybe with friendly faces, at a picnic, under a shade tree in the park, by a babbling brook, or lake...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  dave-2693993 @3    5 years ago

Sounds good to me.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
4  luther28    5 years ago

As I spend the majority of my time outdoors I will agree that the stress of modern life falls away like so many leaves while out and about. Sadly this can be undone by merely 30 minutes of news:)

I suppose it balances out in the final analysis:)

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  luther28 @4    5 years ago

I try not to take things that I can't change to heart. 

luther28
Sophomore Silent
4.1.1  luther28  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1    5 years ago

I am working on it :)

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7  It Is ME    5 years ago

I stressed for many years as a self employed person.

Built a big front porch and put out bird and squirrel feeders 8 years ago, and I've destressed since then.

It's great making coffee and sitting out there just watching nature go by in the morning before starting work. After work with a beer is great too.   

The only thing missing, is a babbling brook. But one day, I'll have that too !

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
7.1  dave-2693993  replied to  It Is ME @7    5 years ago

I used to have a hawk that would light on the back rail of my rear deck and look for dinner in the lower back yard. It knew when I was there and would leave the humming birds alone.

On the front porch I had a couple generations of praying mantises that would come up on the arm of my rocking chair as I sipped a beer or two in the summer evenings...

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  dave-2693993 @7.1    5 years ago
On the front porch I had a couple generations of praying mantises that would come up on the arm of my rocking chair as I sipped a beer or two in the summer evenings...

One of the best sports events on my porch, is watching two Lizards trying to dominate each other. Did you know, when it's quiet, you can here those little things hiss at each other ? It's wild ! 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
7.1.2  dave-2693993  replied to  It Is ME @7.1.1    5 years ago

LOL, imagine multiplying that times the size of a T Rex!!!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  dave-2693993 @7.1.2    5 years ago
LOL, imagine multiplying that times the size of a T Rex!!!

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

I'm not ready for a Jurassic world yet. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
7.1.4  dave-2693993  replied to  It Is ME @7.1.3    5 years ago

LOL

katrix
Sophomore Participates
7.1.5  katrix  replied to  It Is ME @7.1.1    5 years ago
One of the best sports events on my porch, is watching two Lizards trying to dominate each other

I like watching the hummingbirds dive bomb each other at my feeders while they make chittering noises.  I have 3 feeders - there is no reason 2 hummingbirds can't each eat at a different feeder at the same time, you would think.  But no.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  katrix @7.1.5    5 years ago

For such itty bitty things, hummingbirds are very aggressive.  Like the Yorkies of the bird world.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
7.1.7  katrix  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.1.6    5 years ago

They really are.  Such interesting creatures.  They'll come up and hover right in front of my face if their feeders are empty. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8  Freefaller    5 years ago

What if it's -30 to -40 outside for weeks on end?

Ender
Professor Principal
8.1  Ender  replied to  Freefaller @8    5 years ago

Or 95°F (35°C) and high humidity.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @8.1    5 years ago

Or swarms of biting gnats and mosquitoes. 

Ender
Professor Principal
8.1.2  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.1    5 years ago

Oh yeah.

Flies have been really bad this year.

What I don't remember getting is our usual swarm of love bugs. I saw a couple but not as many as usual.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @8.1.2    5 years ago

I don't usually have many flies, but gnats and mosquitoes are thick every year from spring until fall.  I have to coat myself with bug spray to work in the garden, and they've driven me in from relaxing on my deck many times.  I seldom eat out there, because of the bugs.

One year, my parents were visiting, and we decided to have a bonfire in the back yard and roast marshmallows.  We bought some citronella candles.  About the only effect they had on the bugs was that one crawled into the melted wax and drowned.  So much for repelling them.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
8.1.4  katrix  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.3    5 years ago

I bought an easy-up with removable screens.  It's great for evenings when the bugs are out.  I'm trying to quit smoking and when I do, I might have to get one of those screened hats for gardening - smoking is the only thing that keeps the gnats away.  I might look silly, but I won't have gnats in my eyes and mouth.

And citronella candles don't work at all, from my experience.  Although your post was hilarious!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  katrix @8.1.4    5 years ago

I've thought about looking for one that will fit on my deck, but it would have to be small enough to leave room for the grill.

Good luck with the smoking thing.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
8.2  dave-2693993  replied to  Freefaller @8    5 years ago

hmmmmm? I am thinking sun tea, or lemonade or cold beer on the front porch or rear deck in the evenings.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  dave-2693993 @8.2    5 years ago

I'm with Dave.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Freefaller @8    5 years ago

Move! LOL!

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8.3.1  Freefaller  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @8.3    5 years ago

Lol I will, just not yet

katrix
Sophomore Participates
8.4  katrix  replied to  Freefaller @8    5 years ago
What if it's -30 to -40 outside for weeks on end?

You move.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Two hours a week outside doesnt sound like much. Thats a 20 minute walk a day. A 40 minute walk every other day would probably be better for you though. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
10  sandy-2021492    5 years ago

Walked the dog,  got into the garden a bit, and weeded most of the flower beds.  I also found a yellow jacket nest, and decided it was time to come inside.  No stings, fortunately.  So, it was nice out, but not necessarily stress-free.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
10.1  dave-2693993  replied to  sandy-2021492 @10    5 years ago
I also found a yellow jacket nest, and decided it was time to come inside.  No stings, fortunately. 

ooooh, good thing you fund it early in the season.

Unload a spray bomb in it at night. They will be sleepy-by and not bother you.

Once you start to spray, DO NOT STOP until the can is empty.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
10.1.1  bccrane  replied to  dave-2693993 @10.1    5 years ago

I've found that the dairy barn spray called CV-80D works better than wasp spray, you can find it at farm supply stores.  Most wasp and hornet sprays need to contact the insects to kill them, not this stuff, it just takes the fumes.  One shot at the opening and it kills the whole nest, the ones that do fly out don't get very far and their not interested in stinging.  

As for being outside to relieve stress, not if you're a farmer right now and watching the almost daily rain when your crops aren't in yet.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
10.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  dave-2693993 @10.1    5 years ago

I waited until the sun went down and soaked them with hornet spray. Nary a whimper from them.  I'll check tomorrow to see if I got them all.

Ender
Professor Principal
10.1.3  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @10.1.2    5 years ago

You all are murderers  !

Heh Heh

The other day I saw this big ass wasp. Don't know what kind it was but it was huge. It was going along the ground and carrying some kind of Caterpillar or grub that was as long as it was (if not longer). It dropped it once and stopped and picked it back up and kept moving with the thing squirming the whole time.

Wish I had my camera. Sad to think what the fate was of the poor thing.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
10.1.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @10.1.3    5 years ago
You all are murderers  !

When it comes to wasps, hornets, and yellow jackets, I murder with glee.  Nasty bastards.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
10.1.5  dave-2693993  replied to  bccrane @10.1.1    5 years ago
As for being outside to relieve stress, not if you're a farmer right now and watching the almost daily rain when your crops aren't in yet.

You are right. It has been bad.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
10.1.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  sandy-2021492 @10.1.2    5 years ago

They're still alive.  Grr.  I'll look for the CV-80D.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
10.1.7  dave-2693993  replied to  sandy-2021492 @10.1.6    5 years ago

I have a gasoline and match cure that has never failed. Hopefully you wont need that.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
10.1.8  sandy-2021492  replied to  dave-2693993 @10.1.7    5 years ago

It's in the flower beds around my house, buried in mulch.  So, can't do that. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
10.1.9  dave-2693993  replied to  sandy-2021492 @10.1.8    5 years ago

Ooops. Right, don't try that.

I would think Amazon could be a source for the CV-80D.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
10.1.10  sandy-2021492  replied to  dave-2693993 @10.1.9    5 years ago

I have a farm co-op a block from my office.  I'll try there first, just because I'd like to get rid of them soon, before the dog tries to eat one.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
10.1.11  katrix  replied to  Ender @10.1.3    5 years ago

Some parasitic wasps lay their eggs in other insects.  They hatch and eat the insect from the inside out, while it's still alive.

I have to admit I get a sense of satisfaction when I see a tomato hornworm with what look like grains of rice on its back, knowing that the trichogramma wasplets will soon be dining in style.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
11  The Magic 8 Ball    5 years ago
New Study Finds Surprising Cure For Stress

agreed...

the only question I have is how could anyone even consider this "surprising?

New Study Finds Previously Known Age Old Cure For Stress

turn it all off, go outside... go to the beach, go surfing, later get on a motorcycle, whatever.

sunshine and fresh air are magic

cheers :)

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
11.1  dave-2693993  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @11    5 years ago

LOL

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
13  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Sitting alone by a flowing stream in a wooded area, hearing only the sounds of nature, are the most relaxing, stress-releasing experiences I have ever had.

https%3A%2F%2Fi0.wp.com%2Fwellspringsofw

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
13.1  Larry Hampton  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @13    5 years ago

I wonder what differences there are comparing spending time outside in Nature, to spending time outside. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
13.1.1  Krishna  replied to  Larry Hampton @13.1    5 years ago

I wonder what differences there are comparing spending time outside in Nature, to spending time outside. 

Of course if you're outside and your attention is totally focused on your iPhone the benefits may be lessened. (And probably worse if you interacting on Social Media). I think the difference depends to a large degree what you are doing when you are outside. Also where you're doing it.

Krishna
Professor Expert
13.1.2  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @13.1.1    5 years ago

Also many people report spending time near bodies of water makes them feel good. I had heard that may be due in part to the presence of negative ions-- I don't know if that's true.

Has anyone here noticed a more positive effect from spending time near water-- a woodland stream, a lake, the ocean, etc?

pat wilson
Professor Participates
13.1.3  pat wilson  replied to  Krishna @13.1.2    5 years ago
Has anyone here noticed a more positive effect from spending time near water-- a woodland stream, a lake, the ocean, etc?

Oh ya, all of the above !

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
13.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @13.1.2    5 years ago

I absolutely feel more comfortable next to water - First of all, I love fishing, and secondly I don't get seasick when I'm on rough water.  I spent much of my summers as a kid at my grandmother's cottage next to a bay and across the narrow Burlington Beach strip to the far west end of Lake Ontario, and it had always been my dream to have a lakeside second home, which was fulfilled when I bought this one, where I spent much happy time:

I will relate one of the most spiritual moments of my life. Almost 47 years ago I was standing alone up on a cliff at dusk at the most southerly point of the USA overlooking the ocean - on the big island of Hawaii.  A huge storm was just subsiding, and I looked out over the turbulent ocean, the biggest waves I'd ever seen crashing on the rocks below, the salty spray on my face, and I think I was the closest to nature as ever I was in my life. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
13.1.5  Split Personality  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @13.1.4    5 years ago

To all in this thread,

we are semi aquatic animals by nature of evolution and this is yet more proof.

What lures millions to the world's beaches and lakes every year for a treasured week or two?

Why does our heart rate slow down when we dive under water?

We came from the oceans, developed into some sort of primate,

then returned to the seas for  thousands of generations, eventually losing most of our hair below the neck line and

after learning to walk upright in deep water, squint at the sunlight reflected on the water,

we learned to speak, since our hands were often in use, fishing or swimming.......

Food for thought, most people have an unconscious and almost instant adverse reaction to

crabs and eels, and spiders and snakes.  It's not something we are taught, it's in our DNA.

Happy Fathers Day

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
13.1.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Split Personality @13.1.5    5 years ago

Excellent post,SP.  However, you made me laugh with this:

"...losing most of our hair below the neck line..."

When I was a junior counsellor at summer camp at the age of 18, the camp had a contest to see who had the hairiest shoulders.  I got second prize.

Here in China, the people do have almost no body hair - it's pretty well only above the neck and pubic.  They generally refer to me as "Low-eye", which means foreigner, but if they see my arms  or legs they call me "Howzuh" which means monkey.

Does that mean I'm less evolved?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
13.1.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @13.1.4    5 years ago

913.jpg?seafeverJPG154

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way, where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
13.1.8  Split Personality  replied to  Split Personality @13.1.5    5 years ago
Why does our heart rate slow down when we dive under water?

I should have noted that it is a feature we share with other sea mammals like whales and seals...

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
13.1.9  dave-2693993  replied to  Split Personality @13.1.5    5 years ago
Food for thought, most people have an unconscious and almost instant adverse reaction to crabs and eels

What does that say about us who salivate?

and snakes

Yep, snakes too.  Scorpions on the barby, anyone?

katrix
Sophomore Participates
13.2  katrix  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @13    5 years ago

I went kayaking on a creek once with a group of people - lots of little rapids and riffles, birds, and such - and one girl's fiancé turned on a boom box.  He was told in not so polite terms to turn it off.   What the heck is the point of being outside like that if you can't enjoy the sound of the water moving over the rocks?  Needless to say, he hasn't come back out with us.  Guess he doesn't appreciate nature very much.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
13.2.1  Freefaller  replied to  katrix @13.2    5 years ago
turned on a boom box.

Lol from that term I'm guessing this happened in 1985(ish)?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
13.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  katrix @13.2    5 years ago

LOL. I'm surprised the group didn't see it and tell him not to come if he intended to bring it.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
14  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

For anyone who is stuck in a city apartment, there is always this (use speakers or headphones):