╌>

‘He’s just a psychotic’: Letterman looks back with regret on his dozens of Trump interviews

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  11 comments

‘He’s just a psychotic’: Letterman looks back with regret on his dozens of Trump interviews
“He used to be kind of like the boob of New York that pretended to be wealthy, or we thought was wealthy, and now he’s just a psychotic,” Letterman told THR. “Is that putting too fine a point on it?”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

...The December 1987 episode launched a decades-long on-screen dance between the two men. Trump would reportedly go on to appear  more than 30 times  on both Letterman’s “Late Night” and its CBS successor, “Late Show.”

“More than 30? Wow! You’re welcome, America,” Letterman said this week when he was told about the stat on The Hollywood Reporter’s  Awards Chatter podcast . But in his interview on Tuesday, the 72-year-old comedy legend left little doubt about where he falls on that question he asked Trump back in 1987 — Love him or hate him?

“I had no sense that he was the soulless bastard that he’s turned into,” Letterman said on the podcast.

Letterman is far from the only media personality rehashing his history with Trump in light of his ascent to the presidency.

Trump landed in politics with a persona — wealthy playboy, savvy tycoon, gruff truth-teller — ironed into place by decades of media appearances. From Letterman’s guest chairs to Howard Stern’s radio show to the board room of “The Apprentice,” America got regular doses of Trump well before he ran for office. Letterman and others like Stern beamed Trump to the masses for entertainment. For Letterman, it’s not funny anymore.

“He used to be kind of like the boob of New York that pretended to be wealthy, or we thought was wealthy, and now he’s just a psychotic,” Letterman told THR. “Is that putting too fine a point on it?”

Trump popped up on Stern’s immensely popular radio show on dozens of occasions  between 1993 and 2015 , calling into the show and appearing in the studio. Often, the shock jock maneuvered the conversations toward sex, with Trump boasting about his alleged bedroom antics.

“He’s one of the best guests ever,” Stern told  “CBS Sunday Morning” last month. “As a radio guest, he says whatever pops into his mind. And he understands how to play that game — doesn’t appeal to everyone, but it appeals to enough people, that style appeals to enough people, to turn them on.”

Stern, however, did not let his affection for Trump as a guest cross over into his political decisions. In 2016, Trump asked the radio host to endorse him in his matchup against Hillary Clinton.

“I had to say to Donald on the phone — it was uncomfortable — ‘I can’t endorse you.’ And I haven’t heard from him since,” Stern told “CBS Sunday Morning.” “We don’t talk at all.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

There is no other president in the history of this nation that draws this sort of reaction from prominent public personalities who knew him before he rose to power. 

And yet, we are presented every day, from conservative media,  with the utter charade that Trump is "normal" or represents a reasonable way to lead America. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

Trump is the prez, and Letterman is not. He won it fair and square with no collusion or obstruction. Easily wins reelection while left wing fools scream at the sky and stamp their tiny feet like spoiled children.

FOUR MORE YEARS!!!   jrSmiley_49_smiley_image.gif

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

I heard an interview with the Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang wherein he devised a good mashup adjective for Trump - "narcisstrionic". 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @2    5 years ago

He seems to care more about our country and its citizens right now than the hapless democrats, who appear not to have a clue or a plan other than resist, which is futile.

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.1  CB  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1    5 years ago

This is what inarguable delusion looks like in real-time, children. Observe closely. Emphatically.

President Donald Trump behaves as though this country is his and republican senator Mitch McConnell's to slap around and deal with self-righteously. Watch out! When the pendulum reaches its arc, guess what?

JBB
Professor Principal
3  JBB    5 years ago

From trashy reality TV to professional wrestling Trump is always a sideshow freak.

The Pinhead of DC. Donald J Trump is still The Original Short Fingered Vulgarian...

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4  bbl-1    5 years ago

Trump psychotic? 

Whatever.

However and for me personally----I simply can not grasp why a person ( Trump ) that spent all of his adult life cheating sexually ( and in perhaps other matters ) will, when given the opportunity appoint judges in positions of power that will take away 'the way out' for men such as him.

This too.  I do not accept 'this new found christian crappola' this president seems to endear upon himself.

CB
Professor Principal
4.1  CB  replied to  bbl-1 @4    5 years ago

Trump is using republican-conservative evangelicals (there is another separate 'fold' of evangelicals not party to these folks) even as much for cover as they are using him for conservative judge appointments.