╌>

Booker Attacks Biden Over Remarks About Segregationist Senators: ‘He’s Better Than This’

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  badfish-hd-h-u  •  5 years ago  •  84 comments

Booker Attacks Biden Over Remarks About Segregationist Senators: ‘He’s Better Than This’

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Popcorn, please.

Via   The Hill:

Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) hit back on Wednesday against former Vice President Joe Biden’s defense of using his relationship with two segregationist senators as an example of civility, calling Biden’s remarks “deeply disappointing.”

“Vice President Biden shouldn’t need this lesson,” Booker told CNN’s Don Lemon.

“At a time when we have in the highest offices in the land, divisiveness, racial hatred, and bigotry being spewed, he should have the sensitivity to know that this is time I need to be an ally, I need to be a healer, I need to not engage in usage of words that harms folks,” he continued. “This is deeply disappointing.”

Biden dismissed calls from Booker and his fellow Democratic primary opponents to apologize for his Tuesday remarks about his work with former segregationist Sens. James Eastland (D-Miss.) and Herman Talmadge (D-Ga.).

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2  Jasper2529    5 years ago
“Vice President Biden shouldn’t need this lesson,” Booker told CNN’s Don Lemon. “At a time when we have in the highest offices in the land, divisiveness, racial hatred, and bigotry being spewed, he should have the sensitivity to know that this is time I need to be an ally, I need to be a healer, I need to not engage in usage of words that harms folks,” he continued. “This is deeply disappointing.”

Says the drama queen "Spartacus" senator and flailing presidential hopeful who's a proud member of the racist Black Congressional Caucus. 

Remember this, Cory Booker and Joe Biden: "If you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas".

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Jasper2529 @2    5 years ago
Remember this, Cory Booker and Joe Biden: "If you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas".

You mean he reached across the aisle to work with Republicans? 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Sunshine  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1    5 years ago
former segregationist Sens. James Eastland (D-Miss.) and Herman Talmadge (D-Ga.).

The Senators Biden bragged about working with where Democrat segregationist.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1    5 years ago

Nice try, Perrie, but no cigar. I timed out before deleting "and Joe Biden". 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sunshine @2.1.1    5 years ago

We know that, Sunshine. His point is that he could work with people he despised. There were loads of segregationalist in both parties back then. Why not talk about that?

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.1.4  Sunshine  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.3    5 years ago
We know that, Sunshine.

Didn't seem you knew that...

Are you not stating the dogs where Republicans?  The dogs where Democrats.

There were loads of segregationalist in both parties back then. Why not talk about that?

Go right ahead.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Release The Kraken @2.1.5    5 years ago

In this case the dogs were Democrats. Do you think that Biden didn't work with Strom Thurmond or Jesse Helms?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Release The Kraken @2.1.5    5 years ago
Everyone get a sponge, it's time to white wash Joe. 

Don't you mean it's time to smear his name?

lib50
Professor Silent
2.1.8  lib50  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.7    5 years ago

The same folk who praise Trump's character think they deserve the right to smear an honest Joe.  Expect to hear a lot more bullcrap.  I don't know how it sticks, frankly, no way to shine that Trump turd.  But they will try to bring down everybody to a Trump level.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  lib50 @2.1.8    5 years ago

Booker probably isn't a Trump fan, and he is criticizing Joe Biden.

Is that allowed?

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.1.10  Sunshine  replied to  lib50 @2.1.8    5 years ago
The same folk who praise Trump's character think they deserve the right to smear an honest Joe. 

You do know it is your party smearing your beloved Joe. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.11  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sunshine @2.1.10    5 years ago

There are plenty of people in the party that are defending Joe, including black Dems. The only reason we are seeing this outrage from Booker is that he is a candidate, too. I had some respect for the guy before this, but now I have none, and I wouldn't vote for him. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    5 years ago

Biden's critics are making his point for him.

It's entirely clear that he did not share the views of segregationists, but his disingenuous critics want to pretend he did so they can pat themselves on the back for their moral superiority.

Biden is simply saying that when these people were in Congress, he had to figure out a way to work with them to get things done. That's useful to the country. If you can talk to a segregationist, you might convince him that some small improvement in the law isn't the end of the world that he imagines it to be. So, it gets passed. In that way, you improve the world a little bit at a time. This is ultimately more valuable than making empty claims about how you are going to make radical change that never happens because you won't ever compromise.

What is Congress doing now? Nothing, because they're too busy barking at each other and flexing their intolerance. America is made up of many different people with different values. We are supposed to be finding ways to work together, not to bully and shame one another into fake agreement.

I don't agree with everything Biden says, but I will vote for a leader who can actually work with different factions. Unfortunately, his own faction is so focused on their posturing and virtue signaling, they may not come along for the ride.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Tacos! @4    5 years ago
I don't agree with everything Biden says, but I will vote for a leader who can actually work with different factions. Unfortunately, his own faction is so focused on their posturing and virtue signaling, they may not come along for the ride.

Fair enough Tacos. And I agree, that right now, the Dems are eating their own. It's a shame. 

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
5  Colour Me Free    5 years ago

The Democratic caucus was headed by a former Klansman and controlled by segregationists / Dixiecrats in 1973 when Biden joined the Senate .. (do not worry Democrats, I am told sometime in the 80's all those racist bastards became Republicans, or so the story goes)

Biden at this time has a large block of the black vote .. seems now the 'competition' wants that vote at any cost (?)

I say get all that can be seen as 'sordid things' out in the light .. Joe Biden's past is a matter of public record, there is no reason to run or hide for what might bite him in the ass, or what was accomplished working along side those that one does not agree with .. it is called compromise, something that is rare in todays political climate of dredging up the past .. the lack of compromise and reaching across the aisle is why nothing gets done in congress .. everyone has their own ball to play with and take it home with them at the end of each 'nothing got accomplished' day.                    

Times have changed, in a nation where white supremacy is now supposedly hiding around every corner .. it is doubtful half here would know a white supremacist was living right next door to them unless someone doxed the individual, knocked on the door and handed them the information.  

Only time will tell if the competition can kill Biden's campaign one cut at a time...

lib50
Professor Silent
5.2  lib50  replied to  Colour Me Free @5    5 years ago
The Democratic caucus was headed by a former Klansman and controlled by segregationists / Dixiecrats in 1973 when Biden joined the Senate .. (do not worry Democrats, I am told sometime in the 80's all those racist bastards became Republicans, or so the story goes)

No, that started happening before the 80's.  But why are you bringing up racist dems from the past when you ignore and defend the current racism and race hate emanating from Trump?  I don't see how we can even have a conversation on the topic when its a topic you want to avoid within your own ranks.  It is so hypocritical and nauseating listening to this sanctimonious judgement of a man known for his openness and honesty from people who require none from their own.  Dems do this to a fault, gop don't even know the meaning.  Clean up your own house first.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
5.2.2  Colour Me Free  replied to  lib50 @5.2    5 years ago

I have no clue what you are babbling about … do a lil research of your own, your ignorance is showing.

I have no rank or party, but you knew that already … had you actually read my comment you would know I do not sit in judgement of Biden.. but yes I agree with the sanctimoniousness . after reading you comment the stench of holier than thou fills the air. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.3  Tessylo  replied to  Release The Kraken @5.2.1    5 years ago
'Facts matter.'

Yes they do so why is your post devoid of facts?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.4  Tessylo  replied to  Release The Kraken @5.2.1    5 years ago
On another thread - per you and Dismayed Patriot
BF - 'maybe he likes his community to enjoy low unemployment over unemployment in the 16% range'

DP 'Considering that President Obama oversaw the drop from 16% black unemployment down to 7.8% meaning a total drop of 8.2% and then Donald Trump saw a 1% drop and tried to claim he was the one who saved black Americans jobs, only the dumbest of the dumb, most likely already Trump supporters, would believe the nonsense that it was Trump or republicans who came to their rescue.

But I guess if you can find someone dumb enough to believe it, then you've done your job. They say a sucker is born every minute, and this is proven true each time someone gets bamboozled to believe the lies coming from the right.'

Ender
Professor Principal
6  Ender    5 years ago
But more than a half-dozen CBC members argued that Biden’s remarks were taken out of context and that the former senator’s call for decency is needed now more than ever.

“I worked with Strom Thurmond all my life,” House Majority Whip James Clyburn (D-S.C.), the highest-ranking African American in Congress, said of the infamous segregationist senator. “You don’t have to agree with people to work with them.”

House Democratic Caucus Chairman Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.) said he had yet to see Biden’s full remarks from the fundraiser but agreed with his overall sentiment.

“I disagree with the overwhelming items that have come out of the mouth of Donald J. Trump. But we managed to work together with his administration to enact historic criminal justice reform,” Jeffries said.

“I think we here in the House Democratic Caucus have ourselves taken the position that sometimes you have to work with the opposition to the extent they’re in power without compromising your values if you can get things done.”

“If he was able to work with Eastland, he’s a great person,” Rep. Bennie Thompson, who represents a district in Eastland’s home state of Mississippi, said of Biden.

Rep. Joyce Beatty (D-Ohio) said she didn’t want to “reinterpret” what Biden said, adding that she thinks “he’s well equipped because of his experience” to work in a time of polarized government.

But Biden has a   deep well of support   within the CBC, in part due to his service in the Senate but also his time as vice president under Barack Obama.

“I think that sentiment is more important than ever because there’s lots of folks on the other side of the aisle that we don’t get along with, that we don’t agree with their views, yet we need to accomplish certain things that advance the interest of the American people,” said Rep. Donald McEachin (D-Va.), who has endorsed Biden. “So I think the comment was very appropriate.”