╌>

Trump says it's not appropriate for Megan Rapinoe to protest during national anthem

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  25 comments

Trump says it's not appropriate for Megan Rapinoe to protest during national anthem

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

President Trump on Monday said he does not think it's appropriate for Megan Rapinoe, a co-captain of the U.S. women's soccer team, to protest during the national anthem.

"No. I don’t think so," Trump said in an exclusive interview with The Hill when asked about Rapinoe's actions.

Rapinoe has previously knelt during “The Star-Spangled Banner." During this year's Women's World Cup, she has abstained from singing along during pregame ceremonies. Rapinoe, who is gay, has referred to herself as a "walking protest."

Trump, who has suggested NFL players who protest during the anthem shouldn't be in the country, disagreed with Rapinoe's actions but offered praise for the women's national team.

"I love watching women's soccer," he said in the Oval Office. "They’re really talented."

The women's national team advanced to the quarterfinals of the World Cup with a victory over Spain on Monday afternoon.

Trump declined to take a position on whether women's soccer players should receive equal pay as men, saying he would have to look more closely at the issue.

"I think a lot of it also has to do with the economics," Trump said. "I mean who draws more, where is the money coming in. I know that when you have the great stars like [Portugal’s Cristiano] Ronaldo and some of these stars … that get paid a lot of money, but they draw hundreds of thousands of people."

"But I haven’t taken a position on that at all," he added. "I’d have to look at it."

All 28 members of the U.S. women's team filed a lawsuit in March against the U.S. Soccer Federation alleging discrimination in pay and resources based on gender. The women's team won the 2015 and 1999 World Cups, while the men have never won a World Cup title. 

White House counselor  Kellyanne Conway  said earlier this month that she supports equal pay for equal work, but cautioned against politicizing the issue.

Numerous Democrats, including several 2020 presidential candidates, have voiced support for the team's push for equal pay

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Just pay the lady US soccer players the same as the men are paid. It's not like there's a thousand of them. 

And the idea that it is "not appropriate" to stay silent during the national anthem? WTF ?  Are we in a totalitarian state?  Since when is remaining silent not appropriate? 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

Of course these women should receive equal pay.

She's very good at what she does, so why play the drama queen about the Anthem?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    5 years ago

I guess she wants someone to show her the money. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Sunshine  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    5 years ago
show her the money.

I doubt being silent will get it for her, but to each her own.

Kaepernick was shown the door.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.3  Split Personality  replied to  Sunshine @1.1.2    5 years ago

Kaepernick wasn't putting points on the board.

Megan Anna Rapinoe ( / r ə ˈ p n / ( 11px-Loudspeaker.svg.png listen ) ; born July 5, 1985) is an American professional soccer midfielder / winger who plays for and captains Reign FC in the National Women's Soccer League . As a member of the United States women's national soccer team , she helped the U.S. win the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup , the gold at the 2012 London Olympics , and finish runners-up at the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup . Since 2018, she co-captains her national team alongside Carli Lloyd and Alex Morgan . [2] Rapinoe is internationally known for her crafty style of play [3] [4] [5] and her precise cross to Abby Wambach in the 122nd minute of the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup quarterfinals against Brazil , which resulted in an equalizer goal and eventual win for the Americans after a penalty kick shootout. The last-minute goal set a record for latest goal ever scored in a match and was awarded ESPN's 2011 ESPY Award for Best Play of the Year. During the 2012 London Olympics, she scored three goals and tallied a team-high four assists to lead the United States to a gold medal. She is the first player, male or female, to score a Goal Olimpico at the Olympic Games.

All in spite of 3 ACL injuries in 2006,2007 and 2015.

Very impressive comebacks.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.4  Split Personality  replied to  Split Personality @1.1.3    5 years ago

Goal Olimpico.  Scoring unassisted from a corner kick.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago
Just pay the lady US soccer players the same as the men are paid. It's not like there's a thousand of them. 

When they draw in the same TV money and attendance numbers that the men do at the professional level; then you can talk about equal pay on a level playing field.  This is a business after all.

And the idea that it is "not appropriate" to stay silent during the national anthem? WTF ?  Are we in a totalitarian state?  Since when is remaining silent not appropriate? 

Trump, just like the soccer player protesting, is entitled to their opinion. He is free to voice his, just like she is free to voice hers. We are all free to agree or disagree with one or both.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.2.1  Ronin2  replied to  Ronin2 @1.2    5 years ago

OK, I stand corrected. This is about pay at the National level on the world stage where the US women out pace the men for TV ratings and attendance. Not US professional soccer.

I have no problem with paying the women's national team the same as the men's. While in the US the women are more popular than the men; on the world stage it is different. Not sure women's soccer will be ever as popular as men's; which is why the take prize money and take home pay is so different.  

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
1.2.3  Old Hermit  replied to    5 years ago
They should play a game men's team vs women's winner take all.

Just how young are you Muva? (friendly smirk) billie-jean-king-bobby-riggs-555x370.gif

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.2.5  SteevieGee  replied to    5 years ago

These women would probably beat the men.  Maybe they should swap salaries.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
1.3  katrix  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

Shouldn't Trump stop giving a crap about sports and what athletes are doing, and get back to trying to start WWIII via Twitter?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.5  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago
And the idea that it is "not appropriate" to stay silent during the national anthem? WTF ? Are we in a totalitarian state? Since when is remaining silent not appropriate?

Must have happened the same time when someone's opinion isn't allowed to be expressed if it disagrees with anyone protesting against the US.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.6  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

No...pay them commensurate with the revenues they drive.  If the men's team makes more money, the men should get paid more.  If the women's team makes more money, they should get paid more.  

It's very simple.  There is no "equal work" in the entertainment business.

I think he's talking about her taking a knee.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    5 years ago

I don't think I'm ever going to be ok with people protesting during the national anthem, but it's a free country and I wouldn't advocate force to stop her. I reserve the right to find her actions inappropriate, though.

Normally, I would say that sports is entertainment and you get paid based on the income you generate. However, these teams represent the United States, and as such, I think they should be paid the same. This is not the same thing as the Lakers and the Sparks.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

I think I'm more respectful of the Stars and Stripes and American national anthem than a lot of Americans are, but then I consider them to be symbolic of your country, not the temporary government that governs it.  I recall an expression that was common at one time - "Love it or leave it."  I'll add to that - "Don't forget to lock the door on your way out."

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    5 years ago

[Deleted]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tessylo @3.1    5 years ago

[Removed for context]

[I'm not leaving.

[deleted]

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4  Ed-NavDoc    5 years ago

All I see is another overindulged disrespectful little shit of a athlete looking for an extra 15 minutes of fame!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1  Tessylo  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4    5 years ago

You said that on my seed about her not going to the White House.

Redundant much?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Tessylo @4.1    5 years ago

Nope, just still relevant.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5  Texan1211    5 years ago

I think Rapinhoe's choice of WHERE and WHEN she is staging her protests is a little off.

I fully support her right to do it, just don't like the timing of it.

I feel if you wear the US uniform and are representing your country, you should be much more respectful while doing so.