╌>

First Democratic debate highlights in under five minutes: Round 1

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  183 comments

First Democratic debate highlights in under five minutes: Round 1
Ten 2020 presidential candidates faced off in round one of the first Democratic debate, from a technical glitch to spars on immigration and health care.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

What was your highlight ( or low)?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1  MrFrost  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

70% of Americans think Roe V. Wade should NOT be over turned. I am one of the 70%. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  MrFrost @1.1    5 years ago

Frankly the candidates dodged the main abortion question on if there should be any restrictions on abortion; and if so what they were.

The majority of Americans also think the Hyde Amendment should be left in place. The Democratic candidates are completely out of touch on that. Of course they dodged that issue as well; but they have made their policies clear on the campaign trail.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/06/joe-biden-hyde-amendment-democratic-support.html 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

Julian Castro calling for the repeal of section 1325 of the Immigration and Nationality Act, which would mean it would no longer be illegal to enter the US. In other words, he is advocating for open borders. It was totally under reported by the media.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    5 years ago
Julian Castro calling for the repeal of section 1325 of the Immigration and Nationality Act, which would mean it would no longer be illegal to enter the US. In other words, he is advocating for open borders. It was totally under reported by the media.

Of course it would be under reported by the majority of media.

Wouldn't want anyone saying the truth--that some Democrats are for open borders.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    5 years ago

Thank God for a handful of publications & Fox News:

slV_OilN_bigger.jpeg
National Review

"Julian Castro Separates Himself from Field by Calling to Decriminalize Border Crossing"

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

• x9EsUs56_bigger.png
    Bill O'Reilly
    @BillOReilly

Rachel Maddow and Chuck Todd take over and immediately have technical problems leading some conservatives to say loudly: “see, there is a God.”

They cut to commercial.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

XnZoIj-Q_bigger.jpg
@LindseyGrahamSC

After tonight’s
#DemocraticDebate .......that whole Trump 3rd term thing is looking better and better.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @5    5 years ago
After tonight’s #DemocraticDebate.......that whole Trump 3rd term thing is looking better and better.

I hope you're kidding about that. There is a reason we only allow 2 term presidents. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1    5 years ago

FDR served more.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1    5 years ago
There is a reason we only allow 2 term presidents. 

I know - because of FDR!!!!!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.2    5 years ago

FDR did and because he was an honest man and cared about this country, he realized the danger of not addressing this. It is probably one of the best things he did for this country. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
5.1.4  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.3    5 years ago

How did he address it he won and fourth term and died? 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.3    5 years ago

Lol, No, FDR did because 4 terms were allowed in the 1930's & 40's.  As soon as the Republicans got control of congress, it was they who put a 2 term limit on the Presidency, because they hated the idea of FDR having 4 terms.  But look how it quickly bit them in the ass. They then had Eisenhower, who could have been re-elected until the day he died. Think how that would have changed American History?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.6  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.5    5 years ago

You are correct Vic. I checked. I guess I was getting that confused with the founding fathers who had no issue with it. 

Dewey was the one who got the ball rolling on the amendment. 

As for history, change any event and the butterfly effect kicks in. 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
5.1.7  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.5    5 years ago
Think how that would have changed American History?

I believe power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. It's almost as consistent as gravity. And it's almost a pre-requisite to be a bit narcissistic to even run for President, so without term limits that narcissism can only be amplified and corrupted over time, thus eight years should be the most anyone can serve in the highest office in the nation no matter how good a President we started out with. And just imagine what kind of a joke we would become when a President starts his first term already an absolutely corrupt narcissist like we have with Trump? I really don't want to see what eight years of absolute corruption looks like or what it will do to our nation.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.8  Sparty On  replied to  Dean Moriarty @5.1.4    5 years ago

It would be news to me if FDR had ANYTHING to do with the POTUS terms limits.

The history of it is quite interesting, with debates on the topic going back to the late 1700's

The 22nd amendment was indeed a good thing.  Now we need to do the same for congress.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.9  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.8    5 years ago
The 22nd amendment was indeed a good thing.  Now we need to do the same for congress.

AGREED!

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1.10  Ender  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.8    5 years ago

The only reason I am sort of against it for congress is then we would basically have a revolving door.

When we have government officials that are appointed to their positions then a constant revolving congress, it makes the entrenched non elected officials more powerful.

Just my thoughts on it, of course a twelve year time limit on senators should be long enough to solve some problems.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.11  Sparty On  replied to  Ender @5.1.10    5 years ago
The only reason I am sort of against it for congress is then we would basically have a revolving door.

I totally agree with what you're saying but i think the status quo may be worse.   It certainly isn't working very well.

One way to find out right?   Put to vote of the people i have little doubt it would pass.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.12  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.6    5 years ago
You are correct Vic. I checked.

"Heavy is the head that wears the Crown."  I don't like being right all the time, but it's necessary here.

Dewey was the one who got the ball rolling on the amendment. 

He was a political force in his day.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.13  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5.1.7    5 years ago
I really don't want to see what eight years of absolute corruption looks like or what it will do to our nation.

Corruption dosen't bother me half as much as Ideology. Recent history shows what radical beliefs have done to this country.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.14  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.12    5 years ago
"Heavy is the head that wears the Crown."  I don't like being right all the time, but it's necessary here.

Vic, I know you are just messing with me there, right? LOL!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.15  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.6    5 years ago

Roosevelt didnt want to run in 1940, let alone 1944.  He was well aware of the two term tradition. By 1940 the world was at war and FDR allowed himself to be persuaded that he was the best person to deal with it as president of the United States. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.16  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.14    5 years ago

Lol, Just having some fun

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.17  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1    5 years ago

I remember long ago watching a movie about Nixon where Kissinger arranged for him to meet with Chairman Mao and open trade relations increasing potential customers for American manufacturers by a billion possible consumers, and that Nixon, who was worried about re-election to a second term, would march into the convention with the biggest first vote majority ever experienced by a candidate.  Nixon went over and kissed Kissinger, saying "Henry, you're a genius", and then went and sat down at his oval office desk and pondered as to whether it would be a good time to consider a constitutional change to allow for a third term.  Funny how I remember things like that.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6  Sparty On    5 years ago

I tried watching but had to switch channels after about 30 minutes.   When they started competing with each other as to who could speak Spanish better.

It was like watching a kids T-ball game.   Moderators placing the ball on the tee and rooting them on to hit it out of the park.   Perhaps they asked some really tough questions after i shut it off but i doubt it.   Not the way it was going.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sparty On @6    5 years ago
Perhaps they asked some really tough questions after i shut it off but i doubt it. 

No, there was no Megyn Kelly to ask a tough question.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1    5 years ago

I like how some of them didn't even try to answer the question asked.   In that regard i think Warren did among the best from what i saw.   I didn't agree with her answers but she answered the questions pretty directly.  

Some of the others?   Not so much.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.1    5 years ago
I like how some of them didn't even try to answer the question asked. 

I think it was a strategy for Tulsi Gabbard. She told everyone about herself and talked about Iran and getting out of the middle east. She was smart in how she did it.  The questions on balance were what we expected - all softballs.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
6.1.3  Sunshine  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.2    5 years ago
I think it was a strategy for Tulsi Gabbard.

She went a bit overboard on the nuke scare with Iran.  Too much fear mongering in her for me.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.2    5 years ago
I think it was a strategy for Tulsi Gabbard.

Yeah, thats the read i got as well.   Probably a good strategy as well since few have heard of her and what she stands for.  

The media is too busy analyzing Beto's haircut or how much foam is in Klobuchars beer.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.5  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sunshine @6.1.3    5 years ago

Then I admire your equanimity.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.6  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.4    5 years ago
Probably a good strategy as well since few have heard of her and what she stands for.  

As well as contrasting her statement with the more outrageous statements about free stuff and open borders and abortion for all!

katrix
Sophomore Participates
6.1.7  katrix  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.2    5 years ago
I think it was a strategy for Tulsi Gabbard

I have to admit I've never heard of her. I'll wait until the field settles down a bit before I start paying attention; I must confess that I've never watched a primary debate.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.8  Vic Eldred  replied to  katrix @6.1.7    5 years ago
I have to admit I've never heard of her.

Most haven't. She may have corrected some of that last night.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
6.1.9  Sunshine  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.5    5 years ago
Then I admire your equanimity.

Thank you. I am sure there will be more fear based rhetoric tonight.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.10  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1    5 years ago
No, there was no Megyn Kelly to ask a tough question.

'Why do you insult women'   was a tough question? jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.11  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.10    5 years ago

Would you like to be asked that question as a Presidential candidate?  

BTW when I heard her ask it I was delighted. At that time I didn't think Trump was electable. I was hoping for either Rubio or Cruz. When she asked it I said to myself "she's taking him down." jrSmiley_19_smiley_image.gif

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.12  Vic Eldred  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.11    5 years ago

NBC did just the opposite. Julian Castro says he is against the section of immigration law making it illegal to walk into the US and there was no follow question highlighting what he just said - So you are in favor of open borders? jrSmiley_26_smiley_image.gif

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @6    5 years ago
When they started competing with each other as to who could speak Spanish better.

Such blatant pandering.   I can see stating a theme in Spanish (a single sentence).    After that it is a show that puts a tick in the 'not this one' column (for me).

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.2.2  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @6.2    5 years ago
Such blatant pandering.

I know.   If it wasn't so sad it would be comical.  

A real, mom dad, mom dad, mom dad ..... look at me moment.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
6.2.3  Sunshine  replied to  TᵢG @6.2    5 years ago

Booker was about ready to go New Jersey on Beto. jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif  

Ender
Professor Principal
6.2.4  Ender  replied to  Sunshine @6.2.3    5 years ago

It seems like Booker has been attacking every one lately.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
7  Sunshine    5 years ago

De Blasio trying to defend his treatment of the NYC police department was sad. He must have had a lapse in memory of them turning their backs on him.

Warren was obviously the chosen one for the moderators.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1  Sparty On  replied to  Sunshine @7    5 years ago
Warren was obviously the chosen one for the moderators.

Yep

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
9  livefreeordie    5 years ago

The bottom line is that the Dem party bosses want Biden, but will be overruled by the leftist base who will select from among Sanders, Warren, or Harris.   They will narrow down to either Warren or Harris. 

This will lead to a 45-48 State Trump victory 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  livefreeordie @9    5 years ago

Gotta disagree with you LFOD. I think Biden will make it. 

You know about what they say about unhatched chickens. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
9.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1    5 years ago

I think Biden will take the Democratic primary; but he will be dragged so far left he will turn off independents and moderate Republicans that might have voted for him in the national election.

Also, he will have the same problem as Hillary did during last national election. He will be the Establishment Democratic choice; but will turn off younger hard leftists so they will either stay home, go third party, or punish the Democrats by voting for Trump again (That alone would teach the Democratic Party!).

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ronin2 @9.1.1    5 years ago

I think that Biden is Biden. He will pretty much stay who he is. I think he is well aware of the situation. 

Hillary had a lot not going for her:

Benghazi, emails, not doing enough on the campaign trail, calling a large swath of the voting electorate "Deplorables", having a last minute call into question by Comey over nothing (which added doubt) and having a really bad dress maker who thought that fabric from a 1960's couch was good for a pants suit. And while given a choice right now for the younger voters, if it is left to Biden vs Trump, they will hold their noses and vote Biden. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Ronin2 @9.1.1    5 years ago

I am not too confident that Biden will win the nomination.

It would seem to be going against what the Democrats are so proud of NOT being--the party of old white men.

Even though most folks know you can't win an election without them.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.2    5 years ago
having a last minute call into question by Comey over nothing (which added doubt)

Even years later, I still find it hard to believe that anything Comey did or said had much influence. It is almost inconceivable that the vast majority had not already decided who'd they vote for.

And besides, why would it cast doubt when Comey also came out and "exonerated" her? Why wouldn't THAT count just as much?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9.1.5  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.2    5 years ago
calling a large swath of the voting electorate "Deplorables",

She said that about half of Trump voters were based on some level of "white grievance" against multiculturalism. Subsequent studies have confirmed she was correct.  Maybe a word other than "deplorable" would have been better, but Clinton thought that the majority would reject the racial based plea of the Trump campaign. Didnt happen, as we know.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.4    5 years ago

The vast majority had already decided to vote for Hillary.

Comey really fucked things up and essentially handed it to the turd Rump

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @9.1.6    5 years ago

So you seriously expect some to believe that people had decided to vote for Hillary, changed their minds because Comey reopened the "investigation" for almost 8 whole days before "clearing" her once again, and that people who changed their minds from voting for her to someone else wouldn't change their minds back again??

jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
9.1.9  livefreeordie  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1    5 years ago

I’ve been engaged in this since 1959 and I have a pretty good feel for these things since they went to the primary method.

the base of the Democrat party wants someone on the far left.   Biden will be vying with Kampala Harris for the Black vote and since California switched to an early primary date and is a high delegate count, she wipes out his perceived advantage 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
9.1.10  Ozzwald  replied to  Tessylo @9.1.6    5 years ago
The vast majority had already decided to vote for Hillary.

The vast majority DID vote for her.  Her loss lands squarely on her's and Putin's shoulders.  (since it has been revealed that Russia did hack some voting machines)

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.11  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.3    5 years ago
It would seem to be going against what the Democrats are so proud of NOT being--the party of old white men. Even though most folks know you can't win an election without them.

I think Obama kind of proves that point wrong. 

Personally, I would like to get away from identity politics and just pick the best PERSON. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.12  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.4    5 years ago
And besides, why would it cast doubt when Comey also came out and "exonerated" her? Why wouldn't THAT count just as much?

What a month before the election and he drops a possible bombshell only to take it back. How come you are not so philosophical about investigations into Trump? Because of course, these things matter. What happens negatively always remains in the minds of people.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.1.13  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @9.1.10    5 years ago

That's what I meant to say - the vast majority voted for Hillary and I was one of them.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.14  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Tessylo @9.1.6    5 years ago
Comey really fucked things up and essentially handed it to the turd Rump

He sure the hell didn't help her. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.1.15  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @9.1.10    5 years ago

How coincidental it was just before the election that Comey re-opened the investigation.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.16  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.12    5 years ago
What a month before the election and he drops a possible bombshell only to take it back. How come you are not so philosophical about investigations into Trump? Because of course, these things matter. What happens negatively always remains in the minds of people.

10/28/16 Comey announces via a letter that new emails have been found that are relevant to the investigation into Hillary Clinton.

11/5/2016 Comey clears Hillary Clinton once again.
He says the new emails do not point to any wrongdoing by Clinton.

Not a month before the election. Election was November 8.

Some would have us believe that Comey's letter to Congress greatly affected the election, all the while pretending that his clearing her had no effect.

To me, that is unbelievable and silly.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.17  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @9.1.13    5 years ago
That's what I meant to say - the vast majority voted for Hillary and I was one of them.

So you consider a 2.1% difference in votes a "vast majority".

That is rather strange.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.18  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @9.1.15    5 years ago
How coincidental it was just before the election that Comey re-opened the investigation.

Oh, yeah.

JUST as coincidental as Comey clearing Hillary just before the election--again.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
9.1.19  Ronin2  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.2    5 years ago
I think that Biden is Biden. He will pretty much stay who he is. I think he is well aware of the situation. 

I only wish that were true. He has already swung hard left on the Hyde Amendment, and immigration. He is old, white, male, and straight- which automatically puts him at odds with the hard left ideal candidate. He will be moving further left as the hard left attacks, and polls turn against him. 

Hillary had a lot not going for her:

I agree Hillary was not the ideal candidate; but losing Sanders supporters probably cost her the election (even with your astutely mentioned short comings). That and alienating fly over country by not campaigning there.

The last thing the Democratic Party needs is for it to like like they have the fix in for Biden the way they did for Hillary.

And while given a choice right now for the younger voters, if it is left to Biden vs Trump, they will hold their noses and vote Biden. 

I am admittedly out of touch with the younger voters- but they seem pretty anti Biden now.  His gaffe response to women questioning his prolonged embraces and touches didn't help any. At one point I could have voted for Biden; but he seems to be taking the McCain do anything approach to winning the nomination so far. Didn't vote for McCain, and will not vote for Biden- unless he develops a backbone.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.20  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.11    5 years ago
I think Obama kind of proves that point wrong.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.21  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.8    5 years ago

First of all, please don't imply I am crazy with that emoticon. 

Second, I think Comey put enough doubt into the mix. People are odd beings. They tend to remember the worse, and if that is what they caught and they were on the fence, then that is what they will remember. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.1.23  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.17    5 years ago

You beat me to it.  

Spot on!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.24  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.16    5 years ago

Look at your dates. 

Oct. 28, 2016:   In a letter to the leaders of congressional oversight committees, Comey notifies Congress that   the FBI is reopening the investigation   into the handling of classified information in connection with Democratic presidential candidate Clinton.

"The FBI has learned of the existence of emails that appear to be pertinent to the investigation," Comey writes. "I am writing to inform you that the investigative team briefed me on this yesterday, and I agreed that the FBI should take appropriate investigative steps designed to allow investigators to review these emails to determine whether they contain classified information, as well as to assess their importance to our investigation."

Republicans quickly jumped on the opportunity to bash Clinton. At a rally in New Hampshire, Trump said, "Hillary Clinton's corruption is on a scale we have never seen before." And the Republican National Committee added that the FBI's decision to reopen the investigation ahead of the election "shows how serious this discovery must be."

No information was revealed about the content of the newly uncovered emails. But by the end of the day, sources had confirmed to NPR the emails were found through an unrelated criminal investigation of Anthony Weiner, the disgraced former representative who was married to a top Clinton aide at the time.

Oct. 30-31, 2016:   The   FBI obtains the search warrant   necessary to examine the newly found emails. At this point, there's still no confirmation of whether the emails contained any new information or even whether they were sent or received by Clinton.

During this time, the assistant attorney general writes a letter to Democratic senators assuring them that the Justice Department is dedicating "all necessary resources" to go through the emails as quickly as possible.

These stories   illustrate the vague daily news dribble, spurred by Comey's announcement, that helped get the words "Clinton" and "email" back into headlines just a week before voters went to the polls.

Nov. 6, 2016:   Comey announces that the new trove of emails   doesn't change the FBI's recommendation   that the Justice Department not charge Clinton for her handling of classified information.

"Since my letter, the FBI investigative team has been working around the clock to process and review a large volume of emails from a device obtained in connection with an unrelated criminal investigation," Comey writes to 16 chairmen and ranking members of relevant House and Senate committees. "Based on our review, we have not changed our conclusions that we expressed in July with respect to Secretary Clinton."

Sources told NPR that almost every email the FBI reviewed in the new batch was a duplicate of an email the bureau had already seen.

Trump uses the news to call the FBI, and Comey by extension, "rigged."

"Right now, [Clinton's] being protected by a rigged system," Trump told a crowd in Michigan. "You can't review 650,000 new emails in eight days — you just can't do it, folks. Hillary Clinton is guilty."

Nov. 8, 2016:   Trump defeats Clinton   in the presidential election, with an Electoral College victory of 306 to 232. Clinton wins the popular vote by almost 3 million votes. Trump will become the next president of the United States.

Neither Clinton nor Trump mentions Comey or the Oct. 28 letter in election night speeches.

So even on Nov 6, 2 days before the election, he is still sowing the seeds of doubt with his "new trove of emails", and you don't think that affects the election.

Now that is really silly. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.25  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.21    5 years ago
First of all, please don't imply I am crazy with that emoticon.

It CLEARLY was not directed to you.

it is a little unbelievable to me that people would think that:

A. That most voters had not made their voting decision less than two weeks away from the election after months and months of campaigning. Ain't no way I'll ever buy that.

B. That Comey's letter made a HUGE difference to voters--most of whom had already decided that either Hillary was completely innocent or that she committed some shady stuff.

C. That basically exonerating Hillary didn't carry any weight compared to a mere "reopening" of an investigation.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.27  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.24    5 years ago

Comey's letter to Congress reopening the investigation didn't tell us anything new. We already had evidence that Clinton had classified info in her emails. The only surprise for us was that someone like Weiner would have HER emails on HIS computer.

Comey didn't cast any doubt on November 6 --he just reconfirmed what we already knew--that Hillary would not be charged with anything.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.28  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.25    5 years ago

Well, I happen to personally know 3 people that it did make a difference. All independents. The reason you find it so hard to believe is because you are a partisan and they were not. 

Were they leaning, yes. But that was the icing on the cake. 

btw... they thought the choices were so bad, they voted for Gary Johnson in protest. They would have voted for Hillary. 

Ender
Professor Principal
9.1.29  Ender  replied to  Ronin2 @9.1.19    5 years ago
but losing Sanders supporters probably cost her the election

I kind of have to agree with you. Imo there was a lot of butthurt Sanders supporters that would not vote for her.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.30  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.27    5 years ago
Comey didn't cast any doubt on November 6 --he just reconfirmed what we already knew--that Hillary would not be charged with anything.

Which implies that there was something wrong, but not enough.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.31  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ender @9.1.29    5 years ago
I kind of have to agree with you. Imo there was a lot of butthurt Sanders supporters that would not vote for her.

I can agree with that. People get petty. These are the same people complain the most about Trump. The irony. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9.1.32  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.24    5 years ago

Wait a minute, I thought Comey was part of a cabal that worked against Trump during the election. That is what right wing media says. And Trump. You mean thats all bullshit? jrSmiley_26_smiley_image.gif

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
9.1.33  Jasper2529  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1.5    5 years ago
Maybe a word other than "deplorable" would have been better,

She also called Trump supporters "irredeemable", so I suppose that's better than being "deplorable".

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.34  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.30    5 years ago
Which implies that there was something wrong, but not enough.

I have it on the good authority of many fine folks here that if an investigation occurs, and no charges are ever filed, the person under investigation is innocent of wrongdoing.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.35  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.28    5 years ago
Well, I happen to personally know 3 people that it did make a difference. All independents. The reason you find it so hard to believe is because you are a partisan and they were not.

Leaves me to wonder what exactly they were waiting on to make a decision. After months and months of campaigning, what were they hoping to hear in the last 8 days from any candidate that hadn't already been said to make a decision?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.1.36  Tessylo  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.21    5 years ago

She's just taking continual swipes at me because she cannot comment on my seeds

Also she is implying I am the crazy one with that emoticon 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
9.1.37  Greg Jones  replied to  Ozzwald @9.1.10    5 years ago
(since it has been revealed that Russia did hack some voting machines)

If that was true you would have posted a source. No votes were changed.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1.38  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.2    5 years ago

I think the ideal Democrat candidate would be an unemployed black anti-Semite trans-woman atheist devotee of Che Gueverra Stars and Stripes burning Anthem-kneeling American-born child of illegal Latino immigrants - Does that cover the waterfront of progressive leftists?

JBB
Professor Principal
9.1.39  JBB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.1.38    5 years ago

Why do you wish ill upon America? Good thing you do not get a vote...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.1.40  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @9.1.39    5 years ago

Thank goodness for that!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.41  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.1.38    5 years ago
I think the ideal Democrat candidate would be an unemployed black anti-Semite trans-woman atheist devotee of Che Gueverra Stars and Stripes burning Anthem-kneeling American-born child of illegal Latino immigrants - Does that cover the waterfront of progressive leftists?

I think you did a stellar job there, but I have the feeling that surely you must have missed some small group of the perpetually-offended.

LOL!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.42  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @9.1.39    5 years ago
Why do you wish ill upon America? Good thing you do not get a vote...

He did nothing of the sort.

Where did you read that at?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.43  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @9.1.23    5 years ago
You beat me to it.
Spot on!

Math is soooo hard!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1.44  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JBB @9.1.39    5 years ago

I used to love America - travelled it from Hawaii and California to Massachusetts and Florida, even owned a golf condo in Florida, went to classical and folk music festivals there, spent my vacations there, but then Obama stabbed Israel in the back, the Democrats welcomed and supported anti-Semites into their party, neighbour to neighbour hatred grew just because of politics, mainstream media ultra-bias, the country became one huge shooting gallery... I don't wish ill upon America - I wish it would recover. My comment was aimed at pointing out the present-day insanity.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
9.1.45  bccrane  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.24    5 years ago

The FBI knew about the emails on Weiner's laptop for a month before Comey did anything about them.  Comey started a new investigation before Hillary became president to help her after she won.  

Comey had to investigate or show he attempted to investigate the matter before Hillary became president, if he had waited until after the election of Hillary and then brought up the new found emails the republican controlled congress and senate would have been compelled to investigate and thus finding out that Comey knew before the election about the emails and did nothing, not only would he lose his job, but Hillary would have been facing impeachment herself with republicans in control of the investigation.  With the new investigation before the election, he saved Hillary the trouble of facing impeachment.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1.46  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.41    5 years ago

There are, but as usual I will be chastised for saying it by the self-styled angels on this site.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9.1.47  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.1.44    5 years ago

Buzz, your problem is that you are someone who is living in China portraying yourself as a "single issue" voter (commentator) on American politics and society and your issue is anti-semitism and the promotion of Israel.  While there is nothing wrong with your single issues as such, they are not at the forefront of what is going on in America.  They have led you to, very bizarrely in my opinion, belittle and diminish all concerns about Trump, and magnify all concerns about "political correctness"  beyond all proportion. 

You are out of touch. It is not your fault, but as you keep emphasizing your issues to the exclusion of all others it seems like you are getting more defensive personally. 

The most bizarre thing you do is continue to act as if Trump is popular and people who oppose him are just mean spirited extremists.  That is completely wrong but you cannot see that from where you are.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1.48  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1.47    5 years ago

As I have clarified previously for you I will clarify for others that the only thing about Trump that I support is his support for Israel.  Otherwise, he has bullied the Prime Minister of my country of citizenship, and his trade war with China is costing me money.  However, if Dershowitz says what he might do is legal, or if he has been unjustifiably attacked or falsely accused of something, or his family or staff unfairly punished (spit, for example) then I will become a devil's advocate. Is the fact that I have made it clear that I have more respect for your flag and anthem than a lot of Americans part of that "single issue"?  And the fact that I will no longer step one foot in your shooting gallery of a country part of that "single issue"?  How about Obama's gift to Iran giving them the funds to continue (even increase) world wide terrorism?  Oh, is that part of the "single issue" as well?

More than once I have complimented you for your articulate ability and multiple interests.  I really am beginning to resent that you cannot stop chastising me for not joining you in your daily crucifixion of the President of the United States.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.49  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.1.38    5 years ago

Why are you saying that to me? I'm an independent

And what makes you think that is the ideal dem? ( I get on good word from my dad, that he has a different kind of dem in mind).

I'm kind of confused.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1.50  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.49    5 years ago

Wow!  That comment refers WAY back to where you were discussing Biden and other possible contenders to the Democrat crown.  Lots of scrolling to get back there.

I guess I made that comment as a parody of what the leftists progressives would support.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
9.1.51  Ronin2  replied to  Ozzwald @9.1.10    5 years ago

Funny, outside of voter databases, secretary of states offices, election boards, and companies that make voting machines- I couldn't find an article that stated a single voting machine was hacked- or one vote changed.

There's no evidence that any of these hacking attempts — successful or not — affected the actual operations or outcome of elections in 2016. But some cybersecurity experts have raised the possibility that hackers planted malicious software that remains undetected. Moreover, the mere existence of cyberattacks against voting systems has served to undermine voters' confidence in elections .

Mueller is proving he is a bigger POS than Comey. No evidence, but he put up enough smoke to make those that already question the election results think Russia gave Trump the victory.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.1.52  Tessylo  replied to  Ronin2 @9.1.51    5 years ago

You're not looking hard enough.  

A lot of states had compromised voting machines/hacked.  If you don't think that had any effect on outcomes, well, that's foolish.  

I don't give a shit what you say about Comey, I think he really fucked things up for Hillary but your condemnation of a war hero and a man of integrity, Mueller, really takes the fucking cake.  

Comey, no evidence?  That's just whack.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.1.54  Tessylo  replied to    5 years ago

Not true.  

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
9.1.55  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.16    5 years ago

To me, that is unbelievable and silly.

With your myopic political point of view I'm sure you see it that way, but to the larger overall population, and the voters, we know it to be spot on.

Furthermore,  Mc Connell, having been reported to about the potential involvement of Russians within the Trump election team by the FBI, and other security agencies made it clear that any announcement to this information would be painted as a partisan political move by him and the GOP.

So here we have the public investigation into HRCs later cleared by the FBI, and the kept quiet Russian investigation that has resulted in indictments, guilty pleas, and prison sentences.  Obviously you're just fine with the double standard Tex.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.1.56  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.1.44    5 years ago

Don't buy into the hate Buzz.   That's what the haters want.   America is still the same country she's always been.   Full of mostly good people who just want to live and live.   Desiring only to thrive, take care of our families, neighbors, fellow countryman and to be left alone by the few who want to control our every move.   Show me a progressive and i'll show you a totalitarian screaming to get out.   Most American's are not that, no matter how loud the one's who are scream at the sky are.

And I really don't think there's more haters these days, its just that they have all these newish venues to sow their messages of hate and intolerance.   I mean really, look no further than NT for examples of that.   How long has NT been in existence?    Not long and look at all the sanctimonious, self justified hate you see on here.

We don't need to recover.   We just need everyone to start thinking for themselves and not be manipulated by the plethora of media driven haters out there.   That includes people in other countries as well.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9.1.57  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.1.48    5 years ago

That is a ridiculous comment.  One of your problems Buzz is that you are out of the loop so to speak. You imagine things about America and inflate them out of all proportion. The Democratic Party is not anti-semitic or anti-Israel. Transgenders are not a driving force in Democratic politics, atheists are basically a non issue in American politics, Che Guevera has been dead for 50 years, flag burning hardly ever occurs, only a literal handful of people protest the national anthem, and illegal immigration on the whole is no different than it has been for decades. Your "issues" are not big issues. Health care is a big issue, income inequality is a big issue, racism is a big issue. Anti-semitism is a big issue, but Democratic Party anti-semitism is not. It is a made up issue. You are becoming in thrall to right wing cranks. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1.58  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1.57    5 years ago

Boy, when it comes to politics you sure as hell take what I say really seriously.  You need the advice that your famous American philosopher, Churchy La Femme from the Okefenokee swamp, one of Pogo's friends, has to say: "Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent."

Split Personality
Professor Guide
9.1.59  Split Personality  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.1.44    5 years ago
but then Obama stabbed Israel in the back,

American Jews do not despise Obama,  especially that $38 Billion in military aid

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.60  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.1.58    5 years ago

How was he supposed to take that comment about the "ideal dem"?

I'm a democrat and I sure as hell don't want a Che Guavera in the White House.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1.61  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Split Personality @9.1.59    5 years ago

So you make it "all about the Benjamins" eh?  I make it about the political stab in the back at the UN.  Who was it who said that in the event of a conflict he stands with the Muslims?

I'm not going to waste my time again to talk about the US having the biggest aircraft carrier in the world in the Middle East without having to have one American soldier on board - (Alexander Haig).

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1.62  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.1.60    5 years ago

I'll bet there are a lot of young progressives who have his poster up in their rooms, or wear a T-shirt with his visage.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1.63  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.1.60    5 years ago

"I'm a democrat and I sure as hell don't want a Che Guavera in the White House."

Bill De Blasio Quotes Che Guevara at Miami Airport Union Rally

"State Senator Annette Taddeo, who attended the rally but said she left before de Blasio spoke, said she was "utterly disgusted" by the comment.

"This is completely unacceptable! How can anyone wanting to be the leader of the free world quote a murderous guerrilla -in Miami no less! A community filled with his victims!" Taddeo tweeted."

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.64  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.1.62    5 years ago

I will send you 5 Canadian dollars if you can find just one young person (under 25) with Guevera's poster in his or her room

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.65  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.1.63    5 years ago

Who cares, Buzz????

Are any of those people me? Did I say those things?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.66  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.1.63    5 years ago

Who cares, Buzz????

None of those people are named "Trout Giggles"

And I never said the words they uttered. I could give a shit what Bill Deblasio spouts

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.1.67  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.1.62    5 years ago

I see younger folks wearing them all the time around my town.   Most don't even know who he is.  

So..... I'm thinking for getting one of these to wear ..... you know,  for the kids ..... as a history lesson as it were ....

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1.68  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.1.64    5 years ago

If you send me return airfare from Chongqing to San Francisco I'll find progressive Berkeley students who do.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.69  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.1.68    5 years ago

Are you sure they know who he is?

I thought they weren't teaching history in school anymore...that's what everybody is saying anyway

Ender
Professor Principal
13  Ender    5 years ago

I didn't watch the so called debate. Watched the end of The Amazing Race instead.

At least I got to see some people race around the world, not just the US, and someone not a political candidate get a million bucks.

It is ridiculous, some of these people that somehow think they have a shot, even when they don't, just need to back out. Until some of these people are out and we can have a normal debate I will continue to tune it out.

They are only hurting themselves at this point.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
13.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ender @13    5 years ago
They are only hurting themselves at this point.

Indeedy

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
13.3  tomwcraig  replied to  Ender @13    5 years ago

Sometimes a person runs to get their ideas out there.  The problem with this current field is that all but 2 of them are running on identical platforms and those 2 that aren't are considered persona non grata due to pushing what would be considered somewhat centrist ideals.  Essentially, those ideas that Democrats praised Bill Clinton for supporting have now been thrown out and are considered too far Right-wing to be electable.

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
14  tomwcraig    5 years ago

I didn't watch it, nor do I plan to watch the other 10 candidates debate, or what I call "Yeah! What (s)he said, but I offer more stuff and Trump is more evil than what they say he is!"

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
15  Sean Treacy    5 years ago

Taking away millions of peoples health insurance and taxpayer funded abortions for men...

And people claim the democrats haven't become more left wing this century...