╌>

Trump Calls Putin "A Great Guy" And "A Terrific Person"

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  131 comments

Trump Calls Putin  "A Great Guy" And "A Terrific Person"
At his press gaggle with Putin Trump admiringly and longingly noted that there is no "fake news" in Russia, in other words no free press to contradict the pronouncements of the "leader".

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Trump has said, after his latest meeting with the oligarchical thug Vladimir Putin that Putin is a "great guy" and a "terrific person."

Maybe Trump is just pranking the libs. Right? Owning the libs. Is that the phrase? 

By now he knows that his worshippers will never care that he prostrates himself before a dictator and murderer like Putin, so now he is free to indulge all his authoritarian and dictatorial fantasies. 

At his press gaggle with Putin Trump admiringly and longingly noted that there is no "fake news" in Russia, in other words no free press to contradict the pronouncements of the "leader". 

Trump has slipped the last few tethers connecting him to a democratic worldview, and hopes and expects to bring his followers along as his throng of obedient drones. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago
The mouthpiece of Putin in the US, Russia Today, was happy. 
Though exact details of the G20 meeting between the US president Donald Trump and Russian leader Vladimir Putin have not been revealed, each head of state appeared quite satisfied with what came out of it.
Not sparing his words, Trump said on Saturday that he’d had a “great” and “excellent” meeting with his Russian counterpart a day earlier. He mentioned that the pair discussed trade and that he thinks the “two great countries” should work towards better economic cooperation.

Risking a further meltdown for Russiagate adherents and describing Putin in more colorful detail, Trump called him a “great guy” and a “terrific person.”

For his part, Putin said the closed-door conversation was as a “good meeting, business-like, pragmatic” and said that the pair agreed that bilateral economic ties should be strengthened.

...The two leaders shared another playful moment, after a reporter asked if Trump would press Putin about alleged interference in the 2020 elections. Trump then pointed to his Russian counterpart and instructed: “Don’t meddle in the elections, please.” Putin then cracked a smile.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3  Jasper2529    5 years ago

Trump punked the MSM again, and they fell for it again!  jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Jasper2529 @3    5 years ago

So, your "opinion" is that whenever Trump says something stupid, offensive or dishonest, or let's face it, evil, he is just messing around? Is that it Jasper?  Do you have a MAGA 2020 helicopter beanie yet? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    5 years ago
Do you have a MAGA 2020 helicopter beanie yet? 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3.1.4  Jasper2529  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    5 years ago

I was under the impression that a seeder is expected to foster healthy discussions and not make personal attacks (which would then encourage others to make personal attacks). It seems that I was mistaken. Carry on, John.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.5  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Jasper2529 @3.1.4    5 years ago

I am not allowed to tell you what I really think of your comment that Trump was punking the media when he said Putin is a great guy,  so I used a joke. 

When and if we are allowed to tell the truth here, joketime will be over. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.7  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @3.1.6    5 years ago

So your opinion of all this is that Trump is a punk.  It's not presidential but I guess if he's a punk he's a punk. Nothing to be done about it. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.8  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.7    5 years ago

He keeps you all riled up, so he must be doing the right things.

You take him literally instead of seriously.

He's doing a good job.

History will be kind.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.9  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.8    5 years ago
History will be kind.

He's a moron, and historians have already decided he's a moron. Maybe they will be kind and not mention it every day. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Jasper2529 @3    5 years ago

So your argument is that we should never take the POTUS seriously? 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3.3.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.3    5 years ago
So your argument is that we should never take the POTUS seriously? 

Please show me where I said anything close to that. Don't bother looking, because you won't find it.

lib50
Professor Silent
3.3.2  lib50  replied to  Jasper2529 @3.3.1    5 years ago

Well tell us now what you think about Trumps lies and love of murderous autocrats.  He didn't down the msm, he is owned by Putin. How are people supposed to take it?  How do you take it?

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.3.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Jasper2529 @3.3.1    5 years ago
Trump punked the MSM again, and they fell for it again!

So when should I take anything he says seriously? Every time he opens his mouth he sounds like Rain Man having a stroke. He sounds so stupid all the time that it is impossible to tell when he is "joking" or being serious but everyone is laughing at him anyways. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.3.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.3.3    5 years ago

Why should the president of the United States be "punking" anyone? 

[deleted]

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.3.5  Thrawn 31  replied to  JohnRussell @3.3.4    5 years ago

Exactly. I used to take the POTUS office seriously because they are the fucking POTUS. Now though I pretty much disregard anything and everything coming out of it because when the POTUS gets into twitter fights I regard them with the same seriousness as I do a 13 year old on Twitter (I don't even have Twitter).

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.3.6  It Is ME  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.3.3    5 years ago
So when should I take anything he says seriously?

I seem to have this little problem with wanting to see results. What someone "Says" is only as good as the results.

Things are great right now, except in "Left" world it seems.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.3.7  Thrawn 31  replied to  It Is ME @3.3.6    5 years ago

So I should completely ignore the FAIC?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.3.8  It Is ME  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.3.7    5 years ago
So I should completely ignore the FAIC

Real life supersedes !

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.3.9  Tessylo  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.3.5    5 years ago

He's the twitler in chief.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4  PJ    5 years ago

Only the small minded would think this is funny.  The word of the president no longer has any weight or meaning.  There are no words of wisdom or inspiration being spoken from this administration.  I can only determine it's because the base doesn't require either.  Hate and humiliation seem to be what the base craves. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
4.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  PJ @4    5 years ago

His base does not hate the Russians and is happy Trump has been able to reverse Obama's terrible foreign policy that had us headed towards another cold war with them. Trump deserves the Nobel. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.1.1  PJ  replied to  Dean Moriarty @4.1    5 years ago

Dean - I don't know how to respond to your asinine statement.  If you are okay with everything Putin stands for and has done within his own country and towards other countries then move there. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4.1.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Dean Moriarty @4.1    5 years ago

Yep, this country is fucking done. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.4  It Is ME  replied to  Thrawn 31 @4.1.3    5 years ago
Yep, this country is fucking done. 

Do you have a date and time ?

Most of us aren't as ready as "The Few" seem to be ! 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.1.5  Jasper2529  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.4    5 years ago

Obama is caught colluding with Russia on a hot mic, and MSM thinks nothing of it.

Trump jokingly replies to a stupid question about Putin/Russia in a press gaggle, and MSM goes berserk.

jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

lib50
Professor Silent
4.1.6  lib50  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.1.5    5 years ago
Trump jokingly replies to a stupid question about Putin/Russia in a press gaggle, and MSM goes berserk.

So you think Russian interference in our elections is a big nothingberder?  No problems with love of murderers?  No problem with his deep affinity to the dictators and autocrats instead of our allies?  Do you consider it a joke?  Putin can't even keep a straight face.  Don't try to pretend the gop is pro-American.  I can provide many links proving how Trump helps Russia over the USA.  I'm not mincing words.  That is Treason.  And evidently the gop is fine with it. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4.1.8  Thrawn 31  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.4    5 years ago

Basically when Trump got elected. Told me everything I need to know about the future of the electorate, they are as stupid as I feared. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4.1.9  Thrawn 31  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.1.5    5 years ago

Context can be confusing, you are forgiven. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.10  It Is ME  replied to  Thrawn 31 @4.1.8    5 years ago
Told me everything I need to know about the future of the electorate

At least the "One sided" all knowing stuff anyway. jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

I suppose the past 44 presidents were all the "Best Thing on the planet", since Sliced bread (can get moldy over time). jrSmiley_68_smiley_image.png

Oh ….. and "Peanut Butter" too. jrSmiley_12_smiley_image.gif

"Peanut Butter" does have one drawback though. It can stick to the roof of your mouth. Very distracting at times. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.11  It Is ME  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.1.5    5 years ago

The "Left" can NEVER do wrong. jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

They're as Pure as the "White" driven snow !

They just put the "Yellow" snow on a different shelf, and lock the door.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4.1.12  Thrawn 31  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.10    5 years ago

Have I not said repeatedly that most people are fucking idiots IMO? 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.1.13  KDMichigan  replied to  lib50 @4.1.6    5 years ago
I can provide many links proving how Trump helps Russia over the USA.

Well then lets start providing instead of spewing BSC Rachel Madcow shit. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.16  It Is ME  replied to  Thrawn 31 @4.1.12    5 years ago
Have I not said repeatedly that most people are fucking idiots IMO? 

Which/whose "MOST" ?

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
4.1.17  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.16    5 years ago
Which/whose "MOST" ?

[Deleted]

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4.1.18  Thrawn 31  replied to    5 years ago

Did he? Did Obama receive love letters? 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.19  It Is ME  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.1.17    5 years ago

Questions are HARD to answer when one doesn't actually have an answer ! jrSmiley_89_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.20  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.19    5 years ago
'Questions are HARD to answer when one doesn't actually have an answer !'

You would know that very well wouldn't you?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.21  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.20    5 years ago
You would know that very well wouldn't you?

Mirror, Mirror on the wall …………. jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
5  Dismayed Patriot    5 years ago
now he knows that his worshipers will never care that he prostrates himself before a dictator and murderer like Putin, so now he is free to indulge all his authoritarian and dictatorial fantasies

Sadly, I believe some of his followers would love to see Trump form a hit squad to go out and assassinate his political rivals or throw the Democrat, progressive and liberal thorns in their right wing fascist sides in prison or worse. 40% of Republicans polled said they saw Putin as a friend and ally, an authoritarian who has assassinated journalists, political opponents and dissenters, perpetrated massive election fraud in his own elections and illegally attacked our national election in an attempt to throw it in Trumps favor and succeeding. It's really no surprise that Trump would be publicly forced to lick Putin's boots after Putin has done so much for Trump and Trumps base not only doesn't care but are supportive of the illicit relationship.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6  It Is ME    5 years ago

"Trump has said, after his latest meeting with the oligarchical thug Vladimir Putin that Putin is a "great guy" and a "terrific person."

Ya gotta actually sit down and talk to someone before you can say you know someone.

Nothing wrong with "Talking", and nothing wrong with stroking an ego or two now and again, when it comes to world leaders?.

World Leaders Stroke U.S. Presidents ego's all the time ( Nobel peace prize jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif ) . That's why we've had a problem in this country until now.

Time to "STROKE" the others into submission . jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.2  Jasper2529  replied to  It Is ME @6    5 years ago

Ha ha ha! Good one!  jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.2.1  It Is ME  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.2    5 years ago
Ha ha ha! Good one!

The "FEW"....just never seem to understand …… ANYTHING ….. when it comes to "The World" !

The "Few" are still dreaming about lollipops and sugar plumb forests in their backyards.

Oh....and proverbial "Money Tree" too. They think "Dirt" is all it takes. Gotta Water, Water, Water that "dirt" !

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.2.2  Jasper2529  replied to  It Is ME @6.2.1    5 years ago

I know. My first comment, which was generalized and didn't specifically target anyone, made some heads explode.  I'm no longer following this article, because I don't need or want that BS in my life.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7  Thrawn 31    5 years ago

He has to say nice things about his daddy lol.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1  It Is ME  replied to  Thrawn 31 @7    5 years ago
He has to say nice things about his daddy lol.

Ya woulda thunk that Daddy was pissed, with all the "Presents" Trump has taken away from  "Daddy"....wouldn't ya ?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  It Is ME @7.1    5 years ago

They never want to talk about that, do they?  

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7.1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  It Is ME @7.1    5 years ago

He is mad at congress sure, but Trump has assured him that his bottom bitch it still out there for him.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1.1    5 years ago
They never want to talk about that, do they?  

Nope !

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

What would Ronald Reagan Say ? 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
8.1  Jasper2529  replied to  JohnRussell @8    5 years ago
What would Ronald Reagan Say ? 

I don't know what Reagan would say, but I do know that you told me this week that you don't post photoshopped photos.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Jasper2529 @8.1    5 years ago

That is not a photoshopped photo.  It is a photo of Reagan giving a talk from the oval office.  I added a caption. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
8.1.2  Jasper2529  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1.1    5 years ago
It is a photo of Reagan giving a talk from the oval office.  I added a caption. 

Thanks for admitting that you altered a real photograph.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Jasper2529 @8.1.2    5 years ago

Maybe you don't understand, but I didnt alter the photograph.  If I had replaced Reagan's face with a donkey's, that would have been altering the photograph.

Professor Guide
8.1.4  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Jasper2529 @8.1.2    5 years ago
Thanks for admitting that you altered a real photograph

You had to dig deep for that one, huh?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
8.1.6  Jasper2529  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1.3    5 years ago
Maybe you don't understand,

I fully understand, so there's no need to make a condescending comment.

but I didnt alter the photograph. 

I never said that you altered the photograph itself.

If I had replaced Reagan's face with a donkey's, that would have been altering the photograph.

However, by your own admission, you deliberately superimposed biased, editorial words onto the original photograph, thereby altering the original photograph and its original meaning.

Descriptive captions are placed above, below, or on the sides of photographs - see NYT, WaPo, NBC, MSNBC, CNN, and other media for proof.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1.7  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Jasper2529 @8.1.6    5 years ago

I'm not sure if it is your intent to derail seeds with this sort of obsessive trivia, or if you just can't help yourself.  

What are you going to do when a Trump supporter on this site starts to seed real fake news, like happened here in 2016? 

Will you complain about altered images on Trump's behalf?   I seriously doubt it. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
8.1.8  Jasper2529  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1.7    5 years ago
I'm not sure if it is your intent to derail seeds with this sort of obsessive trivia, or if you just can't help yourself.  

I have directly replied to your comments, so accusing me of derailing your seed is ridiculous.

What are you going to do when a Trump supporter on this site starts to seed real fake news, like happened here in 2016? 

I have no idea what happened on this site in 2016, because I didn't join until the end of 2017.

Anything else?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
9  Ronin2    5 years ago

Trump says many things.

Has he done anything to improve Russia's position in the world? Outside of making the left in this countries heads' explode on a daily, and sometimes hourly, basis?

lib50
Professor Silent
9.1  lib50  replied to  Ronin2 @9    5 years ago
Has he done anything to improve Russia's position in the world?

You must be kidding!  Here are a couple of things to consider.

Here are twelve ways that Putin has received his payout:
  1. Putin’s Goal:  Weaken and divide the transatlantic alliance.
    • Putin’s Payout: Trump undermines US relationships with European allies and calls the US’s commitment to NATO into question.
  2. Putin’s Goal:  Degrade the European Union and foster pro-Russian political movements.
    • Putin’s Payout: Trump attacks the EU and actively supports anti-EU, Kremlin-backed parties.
  3. Putin’s Goal:  Disrupt American leadership and dominance of the global economic order.
    • Putin’s Payout:  Trump is eagerly pushing for an all-out trade war with Europe
  4. Putin’s Goal:  Build global resentment and distrust towards the US and stoke anti-American sentiment.
    • Putin’s Payout:  America’s closest allies are explicitly suspicious and distrusting of the US because of Trump’s rhetoric and actions.
  5. Putin’s Goal:  Relieve economic and domestic political pressure from US sanctions on Russia.
    • Putin’s Payout:  Trump tries to roll back, impede, and blunt the impact of sanctions at every step.
  6. Putin’s Goal:  Legitimize his regime in the eyes of the world.
    • Putin’s Payout:  Trump repeatedly praises and defends Putin, lending the credibility of the US presidency to Putin’s standing.
  7. Putin’s Goal:  Revive Russia’s status as a great power and gain international recognition for its illegal seizure of Crimea.
    • Putin’s Payout: Trump publicly says that Crimea is part of Russia and calls for Russia to be welcomed back into the international community with no concessions.
  8. Putin’s Goal:  Continue to sow discord in Western democracies and avoid repercussions for interfering in American and European elections.
    • Putin’s Payout:  Trump dismisses Russian interference and has done nothing to prevent future interference, putting him at odds with his own intelligence community.
  9. Putin’s Goal:  Soften America’s adversarial stance toward Russia.
    • Putin’s Payout:  Trump is shifting the Republican Party’s generations-long hawkish views on Russia.
  10. Putin’s Goal:  Destabilize the US from within.
    • Putin’s Payout:  Trump attacks US institutions while driving divisive politics and eroding democratic norms.
  11. Putin’s goa l : Advance the Kremlin’s narrative to shape global perceptions.
    • Putin’s payout: Trump has repeatedly, and inexplicably, parroted Kremlin talking points across a range of global issues.
  12. Putin’s goal: Undermine international norms and democratic values abroad.
    • Putin’s payout: Trump has repeatedly failed to respond to human rights violations or support democracy abroad, creating a more permissive environment for autocrats to crack down.
The pattern is clear: Putin has received—and continues to receive—a good payout on his investment in Trump’s campaign.  

Long piece, but fascinating.

lib50
Professor Silent
9.1.2  lib50  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @9.1.1    5 years ago

Didn't think you read it.   Exactly why Putin was so successful.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
9.1.3  Ronin2  replied to  lib50 @9.1    5 years ago

The only thing fascinating about the 12 left wing bullets is the amount of stupidity involved.

Seeking to apply new pressure on President Donald Trump over his ties to Russia, the liberal Center for American Progress Action Fund is bringingon a former State Department official to run its new “Moscow Project,” while advocating the creation of an independent investigation even while the Senate Intelligence Committee’s probes proceed.

Max Bergmann — a former member of the State Department’s policy planning staff who was previously a speechwriter for Secretary John Kerry and a special assistant to the under secretary for arms control and international security — will lead the group’s efforts on Russia as political scrutiny mounts over alleged ties between Trump’s campaign and Russian intelligence. The organization is in the process of hiring more researchers and communications staff in its war room, which is run by former Harry Reid aide Adam Jentleson.

In addition to issuing a six-page memo to Capitol Hill offices on February 15 — the document called for an investigation just hours after the New York Times reported contacts between Trump campaign officials and Russian intelligence officers — the group is also launching digital ads targeted at House Speaker Paul Ryan in his home state of Wisconsin.

Aimed at Trump voters, Ryan voters, and veterans, the spots call on the speaker to support an independent investigation, which has been a rallying cry for some Democrats but few Republicans.

Next you will be asking me to believe the Steele Dossier is real.  Try and chose a source that at least pretends to be unbiased. Let me know when Trump actually has the US leave NATO, withdraws US troops from the Russia border, or does anything beyond talk. I can then officially announce I will vote for him next election. 

As for the second article. Yes, it in depth and long. You also realize it calls out Obama, Bush Jr, Clinton, and Bush Sr for Russia being so aggressive towards the US. Especially Obama after foster a coup in Ukraine, overthrowing Gaddafi in Libya, and destabilizing Syria? Keep poking the Bear long enough, and then act shocked as shit when the Bear reacts. It also makes Obama look like an idiot for not doing more before the elections; but then Hillary was supposed to win, and he didn't want to cast any doubt on her victory.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
9.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Ronin2 @9    5 years ago

Trump hasn't done anything to restrain them, in fact everything that has been done to Russia has been done by congress in spite of Trump. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
9.2.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Release The Kraken @9.2.1    5 years ago

Lol for real, we should push addiction habits and exacerbate their demographic problems. That will do more to cripple them than anything else. Last I saw the average age for a Russian male was 63 or so?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
9.2.3  Ronin2  replied to  Thrawn 31 @9.2    5 years ago

You do realize unless Congress can garner a 2/3rds majority in both the House and Senate they can't override a Trump Veto?  Trump signed those bills into affect. He is really pro Russian./S

override of a veto -  The process by which each chamber of Congress votes on a bill vetoed by the President. To pass a bill over the president's objections requires a two-thirds vote in each Chamber. Historically, Congress has overridden fewer than ten percent of all presidential vetoes.

Pretty hard to do since Trump has only issued 1 VETO; and the House failed to override it.

Damn that Trump. He introduced more ground troops into Syria- and hasn't withdrawn from that country like he promised.  Putin must love that.  He has put more troops in Iraq; which I am sure Iran loves since Iraq is their proxy state. He started sanctions against any country doing business with Iran- Russia must really love that.  He hasn't destabilized the planet with his economic tariffs or sanctions (of course the Democrats in Congress need to get off their asses and sign his new North American Free Trade Agreement).  He is forcing NATO to countries to spend more money on their own defenses; and he has the EU talking about making their own combined military. 

Both Canada and Mexico began the process of seeking legislative approval of the pact in late May after settling a dispute with the U.S. over steel and aluminum tariffs. Although, the pact’s biggest hurdles are expected to come from the U.S. Congress.

The Trump administration, meanwhile, has faced headwinds in getting the U.S. House, controlled by Democrats, to agree on moving ahead with the agreement.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D., Calif.) has expressed concerns about the deal and, first and foremost, is seeking assurances that new labor rules will be enforced in Mexico—so cheaper labor costs won't prompt companies to transfer U.S. jobs south of the border.

“All of this is too important to rush,” Rep. Richard Neal (D., Mass.), chairman of the House committee that oversees trade, said in a hearing Wednesday with Mr. Lighthizer.

To comply with labor provisions in the new trade deal, Mexico earlier this year passed landmark legislation that empowers labor unions to bargain more effectively on behalf of workers and gives workers the right to elect union leaders in direct elections with secret ballots, among other pro-labor changes.

Mr. Lighthizer, backed by U.S. business groups, has sought to hammer out a deal with Congress quickly—one which could allow some changes to North American trade policy through the U.S. legislation that implements the trade pact. But he added that he doesn’t think the text of the agreement with Canada and Mexico needs to be altered.

“Getting this done sooner rather than later is in everybody’s interest,” Mr. Lighthizer told lawmakers.

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump on Tuesday praised NATO countries for increasing their financial contributions to the Western alliance, but he’s still hounding them to pay even more, saying the United States still shoulders a disproportionate share of the cost of protecting Europe.

The president met at the White House with NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg, who is in Washington to mark the 70th anniversary of the organization formed to counter Russian aggression .

The two leaders had kind words for one another. But Trump, who once suggested he might pull the U.S. out of NATO if member counties don’t significantly boost their defense spending, took aim at Germany for not raising its contribution as high as he expects.

"We've worked together on getting some of our allies to pay their fair share," Trump told reporters as he sat with Stoltenberg in the Oval Office. "At some point, it's going to have to go higher."

Stoltenberg thanked Trump for his "strong commitment to NATO" and for his leadership in getting member nations to increase their commitments.

PARIS (Reuters) - A coalition of European militaries ready to react to crises near the continent’s borders was launched on Wednesday with Finland becoming the 10th country to join, amid calls by French President Emmanuel Macron for a “real European army”.

The French-led initiative would not conflict with the almost 70-year-old, U.S.-dominated NATO alliance, proponents say, but reflects in part concerns about a more isolationist United States under President Donald Trump.

The European Intervention Initiative took official shape in Paris after months of negotiations with Germany, who France wants at the center of the force.

Macron proposed the idea more than a year ago but was met with scepticism by other European Union nations, the idea coinciding with the EU’s launch of a landmark defense pact meant to promote joint military investment.

Germany, Belgium, Britain, Denmark, Estonia, the Netherlands, Spain and Portugal have all given their green light for the French-led move. It will see members collaborate on planning, on the analysis of new military and humanitarian crises, and on eventual military responses to those crises.

“In an environment where threats and upheavals of a geopolitical or climatic nature are multiplying, the initiative must send the message that Europe is ready, that Europe is capable,” a French defense ministry official said.

The imminent departure from the EU of Britain, long opposed to EU military collaboration outside NATO, has revived talk of defense cooperation - as have concerns that Trump might prove less willing than his predecessors to come to Europe’s defense in the face of a newly assertive Russia.

The initiative does not “contradict or circumvent the EU’s historic defense efforts, nor those of NATO,” the defense official said. “On the contrary, it will only improve interoperability between the participating countries.”

On Tuesday, Macron called for a “real European army” to reduce dependence on the United States.

European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker has long been a vocal supporter of the idea that the EU should have more common defense capability, separate from NATO.

I am sure that is what Putin was shooting for by backing Trump. NATO countries contributing more money to strengthen that force; and EU countries making a combined military force.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
11  dave-2693993    5 years ago

Trump Calls Putin "A Great Guy" And "A Terrific Person"

Falls in to the WTF category.

What are the latest love notes on Kim?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
12  XXJefferson51    5 years ago

Trump is a great American President.  He’s doing a great job making America a more powerful nation politically, economically, and militarily.  He’s restored Americans pride in our country and given repressed people around the world new hope in an America that is a beacon of light upon a weary world and a shining city on a hill because of Trump.  

Professor Guide
12.2  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  XXJefferson51 @12    5 years ago
[delete]

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
12.2.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @12.2    5 years ago

deleted for context

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
12.2.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @12.2.1    5 years ago

deleted for context

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
12.2.3  Dean Moriarty  replied to  JohnRussell @12.2.2    5 years ago

You reap what you sow. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
12.2.4  dave-2693993  replied to  JohnRussell @12.2.2    5 years ago

Interestingly enough, these exact same people had to suffer the antics of 3 little munchkins school yard bully tactics not long ago trying, and I emphasize TRYING to intimidate others who did not express their disapproval of Trump in their approved Goebbels like terms.

Bad idea John. Really ruined the site for many.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
12.2.5  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  dave-2693993 @12.2.4    5 years ago

Fortunately I have no idea what you are talking about. 

We're keeping a list of all the quasi-Trumpsters here, just for reference sake. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
12.2.6  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Dean Moriarty @12.2.3    5 years ago

Not really, as I dont pay a lot of attention to your stuff. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
12.2.7  dave-2693993  replied to  JohnRussell @12.2.5    5 years ago
Fortunately I have no idea what you are talking about.  We're keeping a list of all the quasi-Trumpsters here, just for reference sake. 

Yes, you do.

BTW, are you checking it twice?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
12.2.8  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  dave-2693993 @12.2.7    5 years ago

Really, I have no idea idea what you are talking about although I could detect your feeble attempt to insult me. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
12.2.9  dave-2693993  replied to  JohnRussell @12.2.8    5 years ago
I could detect your feeble attempt to insult me. 

Just reviving the facts based on your comment here:

People who sample this forum actually have to read this drivel? 

You will know when I give an insult.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
12.2.10  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  JohnRussell @12.2.5    5 years ago
We're keeping a list of all the quasi-Trumpsters here, just for reference sake. 

LOL, I am more curious about what is meant by Quasi.

Does it mean this? seemingly; apparently but not really.

or this? being partly or almost. Almost only counts in horseshoes hand grenades and heavy artillery....

How about any of these?  partly · partially · in part · part · to a certain extent/degree · to a limited extent/degree · to some extent/degree · half · in some measure · relatively · comparatively · moderately · (up) to a point · a little · somewhat · almost · nearly · very nearly · just about · all but · not totally · not wholly · not entirely · not fully · incompletely

and some more of my favorites, supposedly · apparently · allegedly · reportedly · professedly · ostensibly · on the face of it · to all appearances · on the surface · to all intents and purposes · outwardly · superficially · purportedly · nominally · by one's/its own account · on paper · pseudo- · pretendedly · ostensively · supposed · seeming · apparent · alleged · reported · ostensible · purported · nominal · so-called · would-be · pseudo- · bogus · sham · phoney · imitation · artificial · mock · ersatz · fake · forged · feigned · pretended · simulated · false · spurious · counterfeit · fraudulent · deceptive · pretend · put-on · fakey · cod · ostensive

As for the we, that doesn't worry me , and the appropriate "list " for myself would be the DILLIGAF  list I think.

SO in conclusion , what exactly is meant by quasi?

Professor Guide
12.2.11  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Greg Jones @12.2.1    5 years ago

deleted for context

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
12.2.12  dave-2693993  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @12.2.10    5 years ago
what exactly is meant by quasi?

Maybe this?63168394.jpg

lib50
Professor Silent
12.3  lib50  replied to  XXJefferson51 @12    5 years ago

What world are you living in?  We are the freaking laughingstock of the world and Trump has damaged our reputation so badly we may never recover.  Do you ever think about the ramifications of believing and repeating lies?   My god man,  the things you are defending and taking pride in are not what you think, not what the world thinks.  Trump has pissed on this country more than anybody I've ever seen, done damage to our institutions while praising the enemy and giving them cover.  And his base defended it!  Trump doesn't live in reality and evidently either do his sheeple.  Price you pay believing a person so lacking in brains, morals and character.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
12.4  MrFrost  replied to  XXJefferson51 @12    5 years ago
Trump is a great American President.

"Swing and a miss!!!!!!"

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
12.4.1  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  MrFrost @12.4    5 years ago
"Swing and a miss!!!!!!"

we have never cared about what people in other countries think... yer too funny 

as long as they stay out of our way they will be fine.

cheers :)

lib50
Professor Silent
12.4.2  lib50  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @12.4.1    5 years ago

We know, he doesn't give a fuck about our allies.  The question, why does he care so much about our adversaries and their opinions?   To the point of submission?   Nobody can possibly believe his lies and bluster, his actions all say 'bending over now, come and get me' to Putin, its pretty disgusting.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
12.4.3  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  lib50 @12.4.2    5 years ago
To the point of submission?  

trump has not submitted to anyone on the planet.      

but your hilarious :)

MrFrost
Professor Expert
12.4.4  MrFrost  replied to  lib50 @12.4.2    5 years ago
We know, he doesn't give a fuck about our allies.

They do when a dem is in office. But trump takes a shit on our allies while blowing every dictator on the planet and the cons scream how great it is. Trump pisses on his bases and they think it's rain. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
12.4.5  MrFrost  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @12.4.3    5 years ago
trump has not submitted to anyone on the planet. 

Trump has rolled over and played dead for putin since he took office. 

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
12.4.6  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  MrFrost @12.4.5    5 years ago

only in liberal land.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
12.4.7  MrFrost  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @12.4.6    5 years ago
only in liberal land.

Only in con land is trump a strong leader...

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
12.4.9  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  MrFrost @12.4.7    5 years ago
Only in con land is trump a strong leader...

that must be why the left impeached him so easily....   LOL

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

20-30yrs ago I never thought id see the day when the left became warmongers while trying to find peace in this world is a bad idea. 

heads up folks...

this kind of crap is why today's left is doomed to irrelevance.

the liberal/progressive/marxist BS no longer works. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
12.4.10  dave-2693993  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @12.4.9    5 years ago
20-30yrs ago I never thought id see the day when the left became warmongers while trying to find peace in this world is a bad idea. 

Actually, even that was a wrong perception at the time.

Though it has not happened on these shores, history tells us the murderous intent of the extreme left is more bloody than the murderous intent of the extreme right.

We seem to automatically know how blood the extreme right is, yet history tells us the extreme right is "only" 66% as bloody as the extreme left.

That is a conservative number.

We even have a member here that is proud of that leftist heritage and will cal history which points out this fact as "dubious" and proudly brandishes the extreme left with each and every post.

Signed a lucky descendant of a fighting surviving kid who came home from school one day to see each and every one of his relatives brains splattered across the walls of the house thanks to those extreme leftists pushed to the side, which most really do not want to acknowledge these days.

BTW, I am a hater of both extremes.

Is there such a thing as an extreme independent?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
12.4.11  Tessylo  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @12.4.9    5 years ago

The 'right' is dooming themselves to irrelevance every single day with that shitstain as a 'leader' along with his corrupt administration.  

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
12.4.12  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Tessylo @12.4.11    5 years ago
The 'right' is dooming themselves to irrelevance 

so ya say... LOL

but, the left has been saying that for about 10yrs now. and it still makes me laugh.

cheers :)