╌>

Op/Ed New Study Finds 2 In 3 “Hate Crimes” Are Hoaxes…

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  badfish-hd-h-u  •  5 years ago  •  211 comments

Op/Ed New Study Finds 2 In 3 “Hate Crimes” Are Hoaxes…
A political scientist found that fewer than 1 in 3 of 346 such allegations was genuine.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Shocker.

Via   WSJ :

…Mr. Reilly eventually compiled a database of 346 hate-crime allegations and determined that less than a third were genuine. Turning his attention to the hoaxes, he put together a data set of more than 400 confirmed cases of fake allegations that were reported to authorities between 2010 and 2017. He allows that the exact number of false reports is probably unknowable, but what can be said “with absolute confidence is that the actual number of hate crime hoaxes is indisputably large,” he writes. “We are not speaking here of just a few bad apples.”

The author’s bigger concern, and rightly so, is the growing politicization of hate crimes, especially when they are directed at underrepresented groups and regardless of whether they in fact happened. The sad reality is that there is no shortage of individuals and entities with a vested interest in exaggerating racial tensions in the U.S.—from civil-rights organizations to corporate diversity officers to professors of race and gender studies.

These alleged incidents are invariably seized upon by politicians and activists looking to feed a sacrosanct belief among liberals that discrimination and oppression are the main drivers of inequality. “In the mainstream media we hear almost constant talk about scary new forms of racism: ‘white privilege,’ ‘cultural appropriation,’ and ‘subtle bigotry,’ ” Mr. Reilly writes, yet “a huge percentage of the horrific hate crimes cited as evidence of contemporary bigotry are fakes.”

If “Hate Crime Hoax” merely offered examples to illustrate the extent of this phenomenon—and the book offers nearly 100—it would be providing a much-needed public service. But Mr. Reilly has a larger point to make. The Smollett case isn’t an outlier. Increasingly, it’s the norm. And the media’s relative lack of interest in exposing hoaxes that don’t involve famous figures is a big part of the problem.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

epistte
Junior Guide
2  epistte    5 years ago

The author of this story should learn what statistics mean because how can it be one-third of all hate crimes when he doesn't know what the exact numbers are. 

…Mr. Reilly eventually compiled a database of 346 hate-crime allegations and determined that less than a third were genuine. Turning his attention to the hoaxes, he put together a data set of more than 400 confirmed cases of fake allegations that were reported to authorities between 2010 and 2017. He allows that the exact number of false reports is probably unknowable, but what can be said “with absolute confidence is that the actual number of hate crime hoaxes is indisputably large,” he writes. “We are not speaking here of just a few bad apples.”

These claims read like something from the site "Moonbattery"

JBB
Professor Principal
3  JBB    5 years ago

Considering the source is Weaselzippers I've gotta call bullshit on this crap.

The real tragedy of any rare misreportings of hate crimes is that they allow the far farfar right wing fascist types and foreign propagandists to impotently try and cast doubt upon the multitudes of legitimate hate crime that are still being committed in America and across the world. Who would wish to do something so despicable? Those racists, sexists, homophobes, the religiously intolerant and xenophobes out there who wish to continue terrorizing minorities with impunity...

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  JBB @3    5 years ago

The original source is The Wall St Journal.  It is behind a pay wall.  The fact that another source carried it and linked to it does nothing to impact on its credibility.  

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.2.1  cjcold  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.2    5 years ago

Only rational thinkers know about credibility. Far right wingers obviously don't.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @3.2.1    5 years ago
Only rational thinkers know about credibility. Far right wingers obviously don't.

Aren't you the one who attempted to claim that the WSJ was a far right publication?

LMFAO!!

epistte
Junior Guide
3.2.3  epistte  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.2    5 years ago
Aren't you the one who attempted to claim that the WSJ was a far right publication? LMFAO!!

The Wall Street Journal has an obvious conservative bias,

Business types admit that the Wall Street Journal has a conservative bias.

The Wall Street Journal is controlled by Rupert Murdoch via Dow Jones Publications, which in turn is owned by Murdoch's News Corp. Murdoch owns a controlling 39.4% voting stake in both News Corp and 21st Century Fox. News Corp purchased the newspaper for $6 billion in 2007 from the Bancroft family. It is a conservative, business-oriented publication, but it is less overtly political than Murdoch's other major media outlet, Fox News.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  epistte @3.2.3    5 years ago
The Wall Street Journal has an obvious conservative bias,

Well now, that certainly is a far cry from what was claimed--that it is a far right publication. Even MBFC doesn't say that!

Thanks for the link PROVING it, BTW!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.2.5  cjcold  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.2    5 years ago

The WSJ is actually a far right wing rag.

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
3.2.6  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  cjcold @3.2.5    5 years ago
The WSJ is actually a far right wing rag

Yes, for the OP-ED page. But the news side is pretty good.  It's been doing a good share of calling out Shitbag Trump's lying, criminality and incompetence. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.2.7  Raven Wing  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.2    5 years ago
LMFAO!!

Texan....if you keep LYFAO you will soon suffer from the incurable affliction known as Noassatall. jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

(joking)

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.2.8  Jack_TX  replied to  cjcold @3.2.5    5 years ago

Riiiight.  Because AMD's earnings are the subject of heated political controversy....  *eyeroll*

epistte
Junior Guide
3.2.9  epistte  replied to  Jack_TX @3.2.8    5 years ago
Riiiight.  Because AMD's earnings are the subject of heated political controversy....  *eyeroll*

Intel is a better investment.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.10  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @3.2.5    5 years ago

Once AGAIN, not according to the "bible" used here.

Keep trying though, I am almost positive someone will believe you!

it just ain't going to be me.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.2.11  XXJefferson51  replied to  cjcold @3.2.1    5 years ago

Two sentences, two sweeping generalizations. jrSmiley_76_smiley_image.gif

Junior Participates
3.2.12  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Raven Wing @3.2.7    5 years ago

As well as whatever brain condition results from her constant "SHMFH"

Junior Participates
3.2.13  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.2    5 years ago
The fact that another source carried it and linked to it does nothing to impact on its credibility.  

It does, however, raise the question that rightwing shithole WZ violated the copyright laws by disseminating the entire piece.  

Junior Participates
3.2.14  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.4    5 years ago

Your ability to either change what was claimed or deliberately confuse who claimed it  in order to ignore or pretend you did get proof or facts is as remarkable as it is consistent.  Episette wasn't the one who claimed it was "far right" but that the WSJ had "obvious" conservative bias and you knew that.  Yet you still tried to brazen   From the site episette used to corroborate her claim:

You've pretty much emptied your  trick bag for evading, confabulating, misrepresenting, deflecting, diverting  and  just being generally deceitful.  You've branded yourself and are easy pickins' now, Tex.  It's gonna be a rough ride so hang on tight. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Let me try and inject some reasoned common sense into this article. 

I read the full Wall St Journal article from which the right wing site Weasel Zippers excerpted a few paragraphs.

This paragraph from the seeded article contains ALL of the statistical information given in the Wall St. Journal article. 

Mr. Reilly eventually compiled a database of 346 hate-crimeallegations and determined that less than a third were genuine. Turning his attention to the hoaxes, he put together a data set of more than 400 confirmed cases of fake allegations that were reported to authorities between 2010 and 2017. He allows that the exact number of false reports is probably unknowable, but what can be said "with absolute confidence is that the actual number of hate crime hoaxes is indisputably large," he writes. "We are not speaking here of just a few bad apples."

Ok.  What do we see? 

Mr. Reilly eventually compiled a database of 346 hate-crime allegations and determined that less than a third were genuine. 

Where do these 346 cases come from ? What were the circumstances? The demographics involved?  No word in the seed. 

According to the FBI there were 7,100 hate crimes reported in 2018 .

The author in the seed is cherry picking something, but what?  The article doesn't tell us. 

He then says there are a lot of hate crime hoaxes, but then doesnt tell us what the percentage is , and again what were the circumstances or the demographics. 

What the seed represents is an allegation without any particular evidence or even explanation. 

We are supposed to believe the article is accurate , and meaningful, because...........because? 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @5    5 years ago

I was going to reply to number 4 but it was deleted and more added to it’s reposting above.  The seed author is an African American Wall St Journal writer, Jason Riley who along with DeRoy Murdock are among their best writers.  The book the Riley article quotes from is by a Mr. Reilly.  Are you referring to the African American article writer or the author of the book that the author of the article quotes from.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.1    5 years ago

I am referring to the statistics that are quoted in the seed.  Who cares by the way, if the Wall St. Journal writer is black? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.1    5 years ago

XX, there were over 7000 hate crimes reported in one year, 2018,  yet the article tells us that the author examined a "data base" of 346 cases and determined that only 1/3 of them were legitimate.  What happened to the other thousands of cases?  What was the criteria for looking only at these 346?   The seeded article provides no explanation whatsoever. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.1.4  Dulay  replied to  Release The Kraken @5.1.3    5 years ago
I see Jussies. Jussies everywhere...

You have yet to dispute anything that John said at all.
Are you going to try or should we move on?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.1.5  cjcold  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.2    5 years ago
What was the criteria

It's called cherry picking. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1.6  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.1    5 years ago

Since the article is about hate crime hoaxes the info is important so that no one associated with the article or defending it can have the race card played on them by some virtue signaling social justice warrior.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1.7  XXJefferson51  replied to  Dulay @5.1.4    5 years ago

[Deleted]

Junior Participates
5.1.8  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Release The Kraken @5.1.3    5 years ago
I see Jussies. Jussies everywhere...

Confession noted.  

Junior Participates
5.1.9  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.1    5 years ago
Who cares by the way, if the Wall St. Journal writer is black? 

That's much less important than it comes from an editorial writer on the notorious rightwing WSJ opinion page.  You don't get that job from being liberal.  

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.1.10  Dulay  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.1.6    5 years ago
Since the article is about hate crime hoaxes the info is important so that no one associated with the article or defending it can have the race card played on them by some virtue signaling social justice warrior.

Well gee Xx, unlike you, most social justice warriors know that hate crimes are not limited to RACE. 

Secondly, since you state the 'info is important' why not post the WHOLE article from the WSJ instead of just the part in the seed? 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.2  cjcold  replied to  JohnRussell @5    5 years ago

Just more far right wing lying propaganda.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @5.2    5 years ago

Just more far left wing hysteria.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.2.2  cjcold  replied to  Texan1211 @5.2.1    5 years ago

When fighting far right wing fascism/Trumpism, logic rules. Science rules. Ignorance sucks.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.2.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  cjcold @5.2.2    5 years ago

science as described by those who self label as pro science truly sucks.  [Deleted]

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.2.4  cjcold  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.2.3    5 years ago

So science over ignorance is a bad thing? Best you shoot your computer and [Deleted]

Junior Participates
5.2.5  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.2.3    5 years ago
science as described by those who self label as pro science truly sucks.

It's far too late for you to claim you now trust science, XX.  Cherry-picking what you consider science just reveals the lengths you will go [Deleted]

Junior Participates
5.2.6  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @5.2.1    5 years ago

jrSmiley_90_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.2.7  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.2.3    5 years ago
science as described by those who self label as pro science truly sucks.  

What on Earth are you trying to state now?     Science is a single thing — a method for advancing our understanding of the reality we occupy.    Do you dislike the fact that science is based on critical thinking?   That it demonstrates the Earth is 4.54 billion years old as part of a 13.77 billion year old universe and that human beings are the product of biochemical evolution (as are all other life forms) and that all the spectacular bodies and dynamics in the cosmos is the result of cosmological evolution?   That we know how stars form by accretion and how they produce heavier elements (like Carbon) that are distributed upon the death of the star and are later part of a biochemical evolutionary process that produces life forms?

What would prompt someone to declare that science sucks?      jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Is it because science contradicts the nonsense of the Bible such as a worldwide flood, a 6,000 year old Earth or the creation story(ies)?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.2.8  XXJefferson51  replied to  cjcold @5.2.4    5 years ago

I stand by my statement in full.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.2.9  XXJefferson51  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @5.2.5    5 years ago

I trust science.  I despise the whole concept of the term pro science consensus as described by its creators. Science that excludes other ideas outside it’s so called consensus is not true scientific inquiry but a clique made up of hate filled bigots.  

epistte
Junior Guide
5.2.10  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.2.9    5 years ago
I trust science.  I despise the whole concept of the term pro science consensus as described by its creators.

You have never supported science when it disagrees with your very conservative religious beliefs.  Nobody created science. Science is a method for determining fact.

Science that excludes other ideas outside it’s so called consensus is not true scientific inquiry but a clique made up of hate filled bigots.  

What are the ideas that are outside the consensus of true scientific inquiry? 

Who are these hate-filled bigots?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.2.11  cjcold  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.2.9    5 years ago
I trust science.

Obviously you don't. You are a anthropogenic global warming denier.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.2.12  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.2.9    5 years ago
I trust science.  

You do not have to trust science, you can be persuaded that science works by using facts and reason.    

I despise the whole concept of the term pro science consensus as described by its creators.

What are you talking about?   People can abuse science by twisting its findings or faking results, but science itself is a method (along with the findings of said method).

Science that excludes other ideas outside it’s so called consensus is not true scientific inquiry but a clique made up of hate filled bigots.  

'So called' consensus?   Are you serious?   Sounds like sour grapes from one who wishes the pseudo-science nonsense of organizations such as AiG, Creation Institute, etc. was simply accepted without normal scientific scrutiny.   No matter how much you wish your pro-religious pseudo-science will be recognized as true science, the scientific method is not going to change from critical thinking and solid evidence to accommodate your religious desires.   Put forth real science rather than wishful thinking and beliefs based on incredulity.

… a clique made up of hate filled bigots.

Yeah, the flat-Earthers are conspiracy theorists too.   Welcome to their nonsense club.

Patience ends with stubborn, endless willful ignorance.    Patience ends with aggressive confirmation bias.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.13  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @5.2.2    5 years ago
When fighting far right wing fascism/Trumpism, logic rules. Science rules. Ignorance sucks.

Gotta hand it to you--you are kind of entertaining.

Haven't seen you fight a thing, though.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.2.14  cjcold  replied to  Texan1211 @5.2.13    5 years ago

Earned my first black belt at 16. Spent 10 years as a bouncer in some rough clubs. You really don't want to see me fight.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.15  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @5.2.14    5 years ago
Earned my first black belt at 16. Spent 10 years as a bouncer in some rough clubs. You really don't want to see me fight.

Tough internet keyboard warriors always scare the bejabbers out of me.

/s

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.2.16  TᵢG  replied to  cjcold @5.2.14    5 years ago

Which martial art and style?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.2.17  XXJefferson51  replied to  epistte @5.2.10    5 years ago

Anyone who uses that term to silence or label people or sites who view science differently and question the consensus mob mentality.  I am and proudly stand by all that is labeled by the intolerant them pseudoscience.  Creation, the flood, angels, man caused climate change denial.  I openly mock the pro science consensus to the faces of those who advocate for it as it’s used and defined.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.2.18  XXJefferson51  replied to  cjcold @5.2.11    5 years ago

And proudly so.  I am pro literal six day creation, believe that the global flood actually happened, believe that angels are real messengers of God, created by Him.  Global warming is a hoax and man caused climate change is a fraud perpetrated upon the world by the closed minded bigots who call themselves the pro science consensus.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.2.19  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @5.2.15    5 years ago

Nothing like bragging about ones fighting skills to a guy pushing near to 60 years old.  

epistte
Junior Guide
5.2.20  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.2.17    5 years ago
Anyone who uses that term to silence or label people or sites who view science differently and question the consensus mob mentality.  I am and proudly stand by all that is labeled by the intolerant them pseudoscience.  Creation, the flood, angels, man caused climate change denial.  I openly mock the pro science consensus to the faces of those who advocate for it as it’s used and defined.  

Is this your idea of  trusting science? You still have no learned that you cannot redefine words to fit your unsupported opinions.

I trust science.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.2.21  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.2.18    5 years ago
And proudly so.  

Why?   You hold beliefs simply because other human beings told you they were true.   No evidence whatsoever, just claims by human beings.   In what can one take pride?

I am pro literal six day creation, …

Because of the Bible?   An errant, self-contradicting book conceived, written (and modified) by ancient men over thousands of years?   

… believe that the global flood actually happened,  …

In direct contradiction of geological evidence to the contrary.   In direct contradiction to basic logic (administration of all those animals).    In direct contradiction to modern engineering (an ark, as constructed, could not possibly be seaworthy).    And, finally, support for a god that would kill all living creatures (not just human beings, but all life except ... oddly ... for water dwelling life) because of the failings of the human beings alone.   Human beings, by the way, that He ostensibly created and over whom has absolute control.

… believe that angels are real messengers of God, created by Him.  

The angel concept is an adaptation of the lesser gods of the even more ancient mythologies.   They are angels because of the marketing desire to have a monotheistic religion so as to have the most powerful god.    ( My god can beat up your god. )    So instead of being lesser gods (like Mercury) they are angels.    

Global warming is a hoax …

Except that it is demonstrably real.  jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

… and man caused climate change is a fraud perpetrated upon the world by the closed minded bigots who call themselves the pro science consensus.  

You actually deny that our actions have no negative impact on the climate?    Based on what … the Bible?

JBB
Professor Principal
5.2.22  JBB  replied to  TᵢG @5.2.21    5 years ago

When fundamentalists embrace a literal interpretation of the Bible they are proclaiming that contrary to all evidence, logic and reason they literally hold unconditional belief in the most simple minded explanations possible for the ancient writings of ancient men. As if they are complete literal incontrovertible truths in spite of or despite all cantravening evidence.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.2.23  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @5.2.21    5 years ago

When it comes to faith, non believers debating with believers and vice versa is truly a fools errand.

Some have a strong faith in the scientifically unprovable.   Some don't.

No point to debating it because generally speaking, you aren't going to change the faithfuls views and they're not going to change folks opinion with a lack thereof.

Fools errand ......

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.2.24  Dulay  replied to  Sparty On @5.2.23    5 years ago

Stating facts is never a fools errand. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.2.25  Sparty On  replied to  Dulay @5.2.24    5 years ago

Thanks for more empirical data.

It's collecting in massive proportions here on NT.

Keep it up!

Junior Participates
5.2.26  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.2.8    5 years ago
I stand by my statement in full.  

And we're so grateful you do.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.2.27  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @5.2.23    5 years ago

I never expect to change the position of the person I am debating.    Especially if the views are outrageously in conflict with well established facts.   Rather, I am opposing the nonsense for the dialectic.   To have the positions and claims out on the table along with their rebuttals.

In short, it is for the readers, not the debate opponent.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.2.28  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @5.2.27    5 years ago

As a person with a technical background i am intimately familiar with the scientific method to problem solving.   Use it every day.   However, attempting to apply that to something that is by definition "not provable" is the nonsensical approach IMO.   And yet many non believers are found wanting, looking down their intellectual noses as it were. towards people of faith.

A place and a time for everything.   Trying to define faith, using a scientific method, is not rational and yet many fall back on that to defend their specific lack of faith.   It makes no sense.   Asking for proof of the unprovable.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.2.29  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @5.2.28    5 years ago
Trying to define faith, using a scientific method, is not rational and yet many fall back on that to defend their specific lack of faith. 

Is that what you think I am doing?   Trying to define faith using the scientific method??   Well, no, that is not it at all.

I am countering faith-based 'truth'.    When someone claims, for example, that biochemical evolution is pseudo-science I will counter that.   Doing so is not defining faith, it is rejecting faith as a source for accurate truth and arguing that the far better and demonstrable method for approximating truth about our reality is the scientific method.

Asking for proof of the unprovable.

Where do you find me ever asking people to prove their beliefs?   Never.   From me, it is always a challenge to put forth a solid supporting argument based on facts (evidence) and reason (sound logic).

So if someone claims that global warming is a hoax I will most certainly challenge that.   You would too, right?    Same with claims of a 6,000 year old Earth.   You, I presume, agree that this nonsense is bad to teach to the next generation?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.2.30  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @5.2.29    5 years ago
I am countering faith-based 'truth'. 

You counter it based on what?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.2.31  TᵢG  replied to  Sparty On @5.2.30    5 years ago
You counter it based on what?

Read the next sentence:

TiG @5.2.29 When someone claims, for example, that biochemical evolution is pseudo-science I will counter that.   Doing so is not defining faith, it is rejecting faith as a source for accurate truth and arguing that the far better and demonstrable method for approximating truth about our reality is the scientific method.

Scientific findings for biochemical evolution are among the highest cross-verified of all science.   Biochemical evolution is as close to a fact as science can get.   (For example.)

If someone claims that global warming is a hoax I will most certainly challenge that.   You would too, right?    Same with claims of a 6,000 year old Earth.   You, I presume, agree that this nonsense is bad to teach to the next generation?    Teaching that human beings coexisted with dinosaurs, for example (like in the Flintstones)?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6  JohnRussell    5 years ago
Hoaxes are not tracked formally, but the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism at California State University, San Bernardino, said that of an estimated 21,000 hate crime cases between 2016 and 2018, fewer than 50 reports were found to be false. The center believes that less than 1 percent of all reported hate crimes are false.

But such false reports can play an outsize role in undermining the credibility of real bias victims and anti-hate efforts. In the aftermath of Mr. Smollett’s arrest, one lawmaker has even promised to draft a bill increasing the penalty for filing false hate crime reports.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7  JohnRussell    5 years ago

It is absolutely amazing how many off topic comments there are on this seed. 

Very very few of the 72 comments addressed the purported points made in the seeded article. Shaking my head. 

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
7.2  al Jizzerror  replied to  JohnRussell @7    5 years ago

I enjoy responding to ridiculous propaganda with "off topic comments".

According to Stormy Daniels about 2/3's of her orgasms are fake.  She claims that 100% of her orgasms with The Donald were fake news.

[Deleted]

cjcold
Professor Quiet
7.2.1  cjcold  replied to  al Jizzerror @7.2    5 years ago

Damn Sandy! I wanted to read the rest of it!

Junior Participates
9  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    5 years ago

I'm enjoying how the seeder uses the notorious and self-admitted ("Scouring the bowels of the internet") rightwing pukefunnel outlet Weaselzippers site to bring this big load of BS to TNT.  Seems both the WSJ and the bowel scraper decided to keep  using Jussie Smollett as the case-in-point somehow forgetting that all charges of committing a hoax were dropped against him.  But the intent is clear:  Make the unsupported and racist implication that minorities, particularly blacks, make up the vast majority of  these hoaxes when there was no such evidence presented in the actual article.  

In fact, we all know that one of the biggest and continuing  hoaxes of this type come from white racists who constantly stoke fear of black-on-white crime by faking (i.e., hoaxing) the stats.  Of course we all remember one of the most famous cases of this was the white SC mother (Susan Smith) who tried to blame black men for murdering her two young children.  That has been a  standard tactic by whites for generations and it often worked.   But there's even a more interesting event of a race based hoax in the case of the beating and rape of a white jogger in Central Park.  Five young black men were arrested and soon after a leading citizen of that city was calling for them to be put to death before a trial even began.  All five were later exonerated by DNA evidence but that citizen never admitted his egregiously racist pre-judgment much less retract any of his statements.  That disgusting citizen is none other than Donald J. "Shitbag" Trump.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @9    5 years ago

You do realize that the author of the Wall St. Journal article the seed is about is himself African American?  And that his interest in exposing the hoaxes is so that more attention can be placed upon the real instances of hate crime that do need to be addressed and fully prosecuted?  

Dulay
Professor Expert
10  Dulay    5 years ago
You do realize that the author of the Wall St. Journal article the seed is about is himself African American?

Point? 

And that his interest in exposing the hoaxes is so that more attention can be placed upon the real instances of hate crime that do need to be addressed and fully prosecuted?

What is your evidence of that claim Xx? 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
10.1  cjcold  replied to  Dulay @10    5 years ago

Cornhusker for Palin needs no evidence or proof; [Deleted]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
10.1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  cjcold @10.1    5 years ago

[Deleted]

Junior Participates
11  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    5 years ago

Can't wait to see how Fish and other righwingers explain this "fake hate crime"  away:

A black principal, four white teens and the ‘senior prank’ that became a hate crime

Anyone want to take bets these over-privileged white boys aren't going get a pass on this?  I expect they'll put on their sad faces and say they didn't really mean it and the judge will note what good families they come from and how unfair it would be to let this bit of mischief ruin their college dreams, etc., etc., etc.  You know, the same way black kids would be treated for doing the same thing.