╌>

Trump Now Also Wants Tanks At His Over-The-Top 4th Of July Celebration

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  139 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

President Donald Trump has been steadily bulking up the annual Fourth of July celebration on the Mall, inserting himself aggressively into the planning process and demanding military displays of strength, including a flyover by the Navy’s Blue Angels. 

wot_banner_militaryparade_ali_001.jpg

Now, he’s decided that he also wants tanks. 

According to the Washington Post,  the Pentagon is mulling whether or not to let Trump have the vehicles, some of which exceed 60 tons and could do damage to the streets. 

Trump has also eschewed the usual practice of hiring an event producer, diving into much of the minutiae — like from where to launch the exorbitant fireworks display — himself.

He has been eager for such a display, punctuated with military imagery, ever since witnessing the Bastille Day celebration in France back in 2017.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Maybe they can get him to climb in the drivers seat of one of them and point him in the direction of the Potomac River. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
1.1  Sunshine  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

I am sure you remember this guy...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Sunshine @1.1    5 years ago

Which has what to do with anything [deleted]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sunshine @1.1    5 years ago

Is that Don Jr. practicing for tomorrow? 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.2    5 years ago

No doubt!

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
1.1.4  Sunshine  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.2    5 years ago
Is that Don Jr. practicing for tomorrow? 

Don Jr. isn't a loser Democrat.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Sunshine @1.1.4    5 years ago

No, he's just a straight up loser.  

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
1.1.6  Sunshine  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.5    5 years ago

Well that is an improvement.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.7  MrFrost  replied to  Sunshine @1.1.4    5 years ago
Removed for context

Don Jr. isn't smart enough to be a Democrat. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
1.1.8  Sunshine  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.7    5 years ago
a Democrat.

Like this guy..lol

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sunshine @1.1.8    5 years ago

That's obviously photoshopped by one of my loser friends

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
1.1.10  Sunshine  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.9    5 years ago

Sorry, I didn't know that he is your loser friend.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sunshine @1.1.10    5 years ago

Yep...got lots of them. You don't have any loser friends? I feel bad for ya.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.12  It Is ME  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.11    5 years ago

[deleted]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.13  It Is ME  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.12    5 years ago

Truth will eventually overcome Crap !

"The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is."

Winston Churchill

Not now though.....wouldn't be prudent at this time ! jrSmiley_19_smiley_image.gif

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
1.1.14  Sunshine  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.13    5 years ago

A very wise man Churchill was.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.15  MrFrost  replied to  Sunshine @1.1.8    5 years ago

[Deleted]

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
1.1.17  Sunshine  replied to    5 years ago

So that makes driving around in a tank to show off acceptable?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.18  It Is ME  replied to  Sunshine @1.1.14    5 years ago
A very wise man Churchill was.

He was for the time....But the few "Left" (the most important ones jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif )…. find fault with him based on the times now.

The few "Left" (the most important ones jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif ) just have a hard time getting their heads around what went on "At the Time". They are constantly comparing the past with their limited thinking now....which is a bit ludicrous even now.... IMO !

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1.19  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sunshine @1.1.17    5 years ago

It is way more acceptable than the tank dog and pony show Trump is doing.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2  Sparty On    5 years ago

Blue Angel flyover?   Meh!   Happens all the time.

M1A's cruising Washington DC?  

Not a good idea

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @2    5 years ago

We don't really know what is going to happen, but if there is one word of praise for the Trump administration and president Trump coming from an official podium at the event it will be a disgrace. The 4th of July is a nonpartisan holiday, to say the least.  I have watched the national 4th of July celebration on tv occasionally, shown before this year on PBS, and I have never seen anyone mention the current administration, let alone praise them.  Trump plans to speak at the new celebration. What are the chances that he doesnt praise himself in that speech? Is there a figure less than zero? 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.3  Split Personality  replied to  Sparty On @2    5 years ago
M1A's cruising Washington DC?   Not a good idea

I remember in the late 1950's the use of tracked vehicles, ( particularly Sherman tanks ) were banned in Philadelphia parades for ruining macadam surfaces 

and damaging the trolley tracks. Sherman's only weigh 33 tons compared to the Abrams' 60 tons.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.3.1  Sparty On  replied to  Split Personality @2.3    5 years ago

It would tear the shit our of some already questionable roads.   Static display is one thing but rolling tanks through town is a non starter.

No doubt about it.   Tank drivers would have a blast though .....

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.3.2  MrFrost  replied to  Split Personality @2.3    5 years ago
were banned in Philadelphia parades for ruining macadam surfaces  and damaging the trolley tracks. Sherman's only weigh 33 tons compared to the Abrams' 60 tons.

If you ever get the chance, (and maybe you have already), climb in a Sherman tank. Not a lot of room. I bet most tank crews had a "no chili" rule. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.3.3  Split Personality  replied to  MrFrost @2.3.2    5 years ago

After being in a Sherman, a tour of the USS Pampanito  was like being in a 5 star hotel.

If you watched the recent movie Fury you can appreciate the lack of space/comfort in a Sherman.

and the lower escape hatch...

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.3.4  MrFrost  replied to  Split Personality @2.3.3    5 years ago

Never got the chance to tour a sub, would like to though one of these days. Cool article BTW. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.3.5  FLYNAVY1  replied to  MrFrost @2.3.4    5 years ago

There is the U-505 WWII vintage German DE sub at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.  Well worth the time.

The movie Das Boot if you've not seen it is also a pretty accurate description of sub duty from the second world war.

I think we've got a couple of "bubble-heads" that are members of NT that could give you some additional submarine tour information far better than what I can. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.3.6  Split Personality  replied to  MrFrost @2.3.4    5 years ago

"You know we're making a lot of new tanks right now. We're building a lot of new tanks in Lima, Ohio – our great tank factory that people wanted to close down until I got elected and I stopped it from being closed down, and now it's a very productive facility and they do, nobody's the greatest tank in the world."

wtf?

smh...

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3  lady in black    5 years ago

POS Orange conman the wanna be dictator

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4  Ozzwald    5 years ago

marty-two-bulls-1.jpg

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

Flashback:

The Inauguration of JFK

D-fslquWwAAG5rT?format=jpg&name=large

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @5    5 years ago

JFK's inauguration came at a time of heightened cold war conflict between the US and Russia and was within 16 years of the end of WW2 when tanks rolling through streets was a common sight. 

The U2 incident which was thought a potential match light to armed conflict was only 8 months prior to JFK's inauguration. 

Trump's tanks are so he can feel like a latter day armchair Patton. That is all it is. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1    5 years ago

And the grand military parade that FDR had for his 3rd inauguration? We had no war then, cold or hot!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.1    5 years ago

Are you serious? On Jan 20 , 1941 western Europe had been overrun by Hitler, and there were grave concerns about Japans expansion plans  into Southeast Asia. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.2    5 years ago

Oh, So that was FDR's purpose?   Well then he failed miserably. Until the Japanese bomber Pearl Harbor, FDR couldn't convince the American people of the need to intervene in WWII. So, according to your reasoning, both JFK and FDR had valid reasons to stage military parades, but President Trump must have his motivations questioned?

I think this is another occasion when I'll leave it for the objective observer to decide.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.3    5 years ago
So, according to your reasoning, both JFK and FDR had valid reasons to stage military parades, but President Trump must have his motivations questioned?

Hmmm thats a tough onejrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif . I'm going to say YES.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.4    5 years ago

What a shock!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.6  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.5    5 years ago

Well, are we on the doorstep of military conflict with a major world power today? 

That would be no. 

There is no purpose to a show of military force other than to amuse and aggrandize the idiot in the presidency. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.7  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.6    5 years ago
That would be no. 

I beg to disagree..North Korea & Iran are under the control of a mad man and a radical religious extremist.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1.8  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.1    5 years ago

Why compare a standard 4th of July event to anyone's inauguration?

Besides inaugurations are largely funded by the political parties and donations.

This isn't an inauguration and frankly neither JFK or FDR ever had more than 300 billion in national debt to worry about

while DJT is staring at 22 trillion ( and growing ).

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.9  Tessylo  replied to  Split Personality @5.1.8    5 years ago

I really don't get the comparisons either.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.10  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @5.1.8    5 years ago
Why compare a standard 4th of July event to anyone's inauguration?

Because those were notable military parades. Why is everything always so technically different when a liberal does something in relation to Trump?

Besides inaugurations are largely funded by the political parties and donations.

Are you saying that contributions paid for FDR & JFK's military parades. Can you show us?

while DJT is staring at 22 trillion ( and growing ).

Maybe you would tell us how that debt was accumulated?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.12  Tessylo  replied to    5 years ago

Good catch!  They step right in it every time don't they?

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6  FLYNAVY1    5 years ago

What a fucking waste of taxpayer dollars.  At an estimation of $92-million in cost. 

• How much to refurbish the base housing at Camp Lejeune?
  • How many more veterans could receive better care through the VA?
  • How many more gallons of jet fuel could be made available for pilots to train with, and spare parts to keep their aircraft in the air?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6    5 years ago
What a fucking waste of taxpayer dollars. 

Ya, It makes sense to attack it over the cost. We don't want to sound unpatriotic. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.1.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1    5 years ago

I care about lives my friend.....  Money to train with, money to care for veterans with, money to take care of military families with.

This fucking "Trump-centric" extravaganza puts the military on parade, which is anything but patriotic.  The people in uniform are not Trump's puppets.

Wave the flag, light off fireworks, send in marching bands by the hundreds, but don't make our military march in the same sort of spectacle that make us look like the other dictatorships of the world. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.1.1    5 years ago
Money to train with, money to care for veterans with, money to take care of military families with.

And when Defense spending was cut - you were against it, right?

extravaganza puts the military on parade, which is anything but patriotic.

Then why was it patriotic for JFK and Presidents before him?

same sort of spectacle that make us look like the other dictatorships of the world. 

Exactly when did a military parade become synonymous with dictatorship?

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.1.3  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.2    5 years ago

And you in turn of course have a "We support the troops sticker" on your car, and support this waste of money....

Try living in the present Vic...... Or better yet, give me an explanation on how you feel about the military marches in North Korea and Russia when you see them.

I know you want to, but you just can't seem break from General Bone Spurs in a public forum now can you. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.4  Vic Eldred  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.1.3    5 years ago
And you in turn of course have a "We support the troops sticker" on your car, and support this waste of money....

I do a little better than bumper stickers. I have three things I donate to. My #1 is The American Legion.

Try living in the present Vic...... Or better yet, give me an explanation on how you feel about the military marches in North Korea and Russia when you see them.

We really can't accept the present if we can't explain how we got here. I'll ask you again "Why was it ok for JFK to have a military parade and bad for President Trump?

I know you want to, but you just can't seem break from General Bone Spurs in a public forum now can you. 

Let's resist the need for a personal attack. Try and make your point.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.1.5  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.4    5 years ago

My point is that you know this use of the military is a waste of money, but can't bring yourself to admit that it's wrong which would put you for once in opposition to your savior.

And to your question of JFK vs Trump..... Try about 60 years of it not being done.  Different times, and we don't have the money to spare.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.6  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.1.3    5 years ago

Who knows if Vic actually believes in the worth of a military parade through American streets. 

He believes in Trump, in an almost worshipful fashion. That is all this is. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.7  Vic Eldred  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.1.5    5 years ago
My point is that you know this use of the military is a waste of money, but can't bring yourself to admit that it's wrong which would put you for once in opposition to your savior.

You see me as always being on the side of the President, just as I see you as always being against whatever he does. Let's put that aside, the issue is if the President is entitled to holding a military parade on the 4th of July.

And to your question of JFK vs Trump..... Try about 60 years of it not being done.  Different times, and we don't have the money to spare.

But you can't explain the how's & why's the times changed. I say that's important. Since you have left it to me to answer the question, I will. It started with the Vietnam War and the MSM shaping public opinion. No Fox News back then! The nation had an ideological view subtly imposed on it and a besieged LBJ refrained from any military parades in that turbulent time. His successors followed suit and not only don't we have military parades anymore, but you seldom see military personnel in uniform anywhere. That's all part of the legacy of Vietnam.  Recently the New York Times published an opinion piece maintaining that America was never "great," just simply ok. So the beat goes on. 

You started out by saying that the cost of the parade was your objection. Then you later compared a military parade to what dictators do. I think the later is your main point. I couldn't disagree more. We need more patriotism, not less. If we can throw money at failed states in Central America, we can appropriate more money for Defense and Ya, have a 4th of July parade!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.8  Sparty On  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.1.5    5 years ago

This is chump change in comparison with all the cuts made to the military over the last 50 or so years.    You really want to help fix that.

And while i agree that this money could be better spent, on for example rations that were actually packaged after the guys & gals who are eating them were born, these things have there time and place.

Parades honoring special dates, places and people  are a time honored tradition in the US and one that i approve of wholeheartedly.   Would i rather had C's younger than me in the field if diverting parade money would have made that happen.   You bet but you and i both know that's not how it works.   That money gets saved, it  likely gets diverted somewhere else much more useless than fresh rations or a parade.   Like flying some congressperson around the world in military aircraft.  

Yeah, there are a lot worse uses for that money than on a feel good parade IMO.   Many many of them.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.9  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.6    5 years ago
He believes in Trump

I do believe he is doing a good job.

Guilty, as charged!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.10  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.9    5 years ago

Doing a good job.  At what?

lady in black
Professor Quiet
6.1.11  lady in black  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.10    5 years ago

Suckering the gullible 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.13  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.1.1    5 years ago

The people in uniform are not Trump's puppets.

He never got that memo.  Maybe he will let Ivanka straddle one of the tanks.  Jarrod would develop tank envy once he saw his wife finally have power and strength between her legs.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.14  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1.13    5 years ago

Good one Paula. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.15  Trout Giggles  replied to    5 years ago

Who died and made you the author of the seed? Or better yet a moderator?

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.1.16  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.7    5 years ago

As your idea of patriotism is strongly linked to those that are or have worn the uniform, then how about we make veterans day a day off for them?

Let's be clear... these are my points:

1. We don't have money to buy fuel and parts to keep our aviators in the air to maintain training levels through flight hours, but we have money to waste on sending military equipment and personnel for a parade.
  2. Speak softly and carry a big stick sounds great to me.  Everyone knows we're the baddest MFs on the planet.  Why parade it around like the two-bit dictators in Russia, and NK do?

The best thanks we can give to those in uniform today is to get them the money to train in peace so they don't bleed in war.  Screw parading them around like some prized hog.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.17  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.1.16    5 years ago
Speak softly and carry a big stick sounds great to me.  Everyone knows we're the baddest MFs on the planet.  Why parade it around like the two-bit dictators in Russia, and NK do?

Exactly. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.18  Vic Eldred  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.1.16    5 years ago
We don't have money to buy fuel and parts to keep our aviators in the air to maintain training levels through flight hours

We all agree on that one, you and I and Donald Trump. 

but we have money to waste on sending military equipment and personnel for a parade.

That's a legitimate argument. We waste a lot of money via the federal government. So we begin here?

Speak softly and carry a big stick sounds great to me.  Everyone knows we're the baddest MFs on the planet.  Why parade it around like the two-bit dictators in Russia, and NK do?

Here is the official WH statement on why the President wants the parade:

"President Trump is incredibly supportive of America's great service members who risk their lives every day to keep our country safe. He has asked the Department of Defense to explore a celebration at which all Americans can show their appreciation."

It's not to project power, unless you simply believe nothing he says is true.

The best thanks we can give to those in uniform today is to get them the money to train in peace so they don't bleed in war.

Agreed, but that is not a case of either or.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.20  Vic Eldred  replied to    5 years ago

Based on what I see from liberals, I'd say after almost 3 years, they are still accepting!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.21  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1    5 years ago

What's patriotic about a tribute to the shitstain in chief?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.22  Trout Giggles  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.18    5 years ago

He doesn't give a shit about the troops risking their lives every day! This goddamn parade is all about him and nobody else!

Jesus, Vic....I don't know how anybody can't see that!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1.23  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.2    5 years ago
Then why was it patriotic for JFK and Presidents before him?

You are the one comparing the 4th of July to Inauguration parades, no one else.

If DJT wins in 2020 and his Inauguration Committee raises another 100 million

then they can help pay for a parade.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.24  Vic Eldred  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.22    5 years ago
I don't know how anybody can't see that!

What about an evil misogynist?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.25  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @6.1.23    5 years ago

Can't answer it?  I think there are a lot of objective observers here who can.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.26  Trout Giggles  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.24    5 years ago

If you're saying trmp is an evil misogynist, then we actually agree on something for a change

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1.27  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.25    5 years ago

Can't answer what?

You conflate appropriateness with being patriotic and confuse personal Inaugurations with a national holiday. 

Trump had his opportunity in 2017.  Now is not the time or place, at 100% taxpayer expense.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.28  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @6.1.23    5 years ago
You are the one comparing the 4th of July to Inauguration parades,

Oh, I see, it can't be compared to inauguration parades!  I'm used to that tactic. Here if you demand it must be a non Inaugural comparison:

"Jumping back to the early days of the American presidency, it was once somewhat common for a president to review a military parade on the Fourth of July. According to a   timeline   established by American University librarian  James Heintze, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, Martin Van Buren and James Polk all reviewed military parades on America's independence day. The tradition ended with Polk, though. His sucessor, Zachary Taylor, did not attend one. Instead his agenda for the day included making an appearance at a ceremony at the Washington Monument and infamously eating a "bowl of cherries and milk," which may have led to him falling ill and dying just days later." 

Read more:

I only hope that when I return Friday, we won't be reading of some leftist group trying to attack the troops.

Have a good one!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.29  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.14    5 years ago

I have my moments.jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1.30  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.28    5 years ago

Yes I insist on the distinction, sorry. As I said, inaugurations are never 100% taxpayer funded, they are funded by donation to the political party and Inauguration Committee.  Very distinct difference.

Maybe you can dig up the national debt for each POTUS you named and compare that to today's $22 trillion which is still growing.

We are off the charts in debt and don't need to piss away millions like this.

Have a safe 4th, Vic.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.31  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @6.1.30    5 years ago
Yes I insist on the distinction, sorry. As I said, inaugurations are never 100% taxpayer funded, they are funded by donation to the political party and Inauguration Committee.  Very distinct difference.

And now after seeing the ceremony, don't you feel foolish?  I suppose admitting to that is asking a lot.

Maybe you can dig up the national debt for each POTUS you named and compare that to today's $22 trillion which is still growing.

You brought it up. It was your'e complaint, yet you could neither tell us how much the President's 4th of July ceremony would cost, not would you explain how much each of the past 3 Presidents contributed to that $22 Trillion debt, which you are suddenly concerned about.

We are off the charts in debt and don't need to piss away millions like this.

You are a little late and heavily suspect with such concerns.

Have a safe 4th, Vic.

Thanks, It was one of the best.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7  Tessylo    5 years ago

65656543_10157014126238935_7878641102444560384_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_oc=AQlfZyuDQz2VScZY0ZMPQwdSTjpdmCCouze_MXklWgvuvvICk_gbfKep2bDGlfpHWvo&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=221d0048f723e06d0f407727240eafd6&oe=5D7DA8EA

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.1  MrFrost  replied to  Tessylo @7    5 years ago

Saw that this morning, one of those 6113 likes is mine. 

luther28
Sophomore Silent
8  luther28    5 years ago

Rather than tanks, why not let him ride a pony down Pennsylvania Avenue wearing a plumed hat and toting a toy sword. The same thing sort of, much cheaper and the pony self supplies the horseshit.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  luther28 @8    5 years ago
Have a safe 4th, Vic.

Where were all the tanks, luther?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9  Trout Giggles    5 years ago

He's planning his own event??? I see disaster written all over this...

Why doesn't he just call in a former Apprentice contestant and have them do it?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Trout Giggles @9    5 years ago

ah-HA!

That's why Pence was recalled back to Washington the other day. He needed to get to the Party Store

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
9.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  Trout Giggles @9    5 years ago
I see disaster written all over this...

It looks like your concern was misplaced. Do you feel foolish now?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.3.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Vic Eldred @9.3    5 years ago

Nope

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

I'm expecting this whole thing to be anti climax. I think Trump will pull back on the excess we all normally expect from him, and more importantly, it is supposed to rain in DC tomorrow. 

My understanding is that the tanks will be parked at the Lincoln Memorial (which is bad enough in itself) and there isnt going to be an actual military parade, but more of a sort of presentation of various military representations. 

But who knows, its Trump and it could also be worse than anyone expects. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @10    5 years ago

Parking the tanks at the Memorial won't look very good. It will make America look like it's under siege or something.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Trout Giggles @10.1    5 years ago
It will make America look like it's under siege or something.

Maybe there is a migrant caravan approaching the national capitol. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
10.2  MrFrost  replied to  JohnRussell @10    5 years ago
I think Trump will pull back on the excess we all normally expect from him

Yep, at which time fox news will scream that trump is trying to save money.....and his base will completely fall for it. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
10.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @10    5 years ago
But who knows, its Trump and it could also be worse than anyone expects. 

Lol, It look like he's done it again..............

Well done, Mr President!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10.3.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @10.3    5 years ago
Lol, It look like he's done it again..............

Done what? Peed himself? 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
10.3.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @10.3.1    5 years ago

No, Kicked the shit out of another leftist lie!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
12  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

I wonder if the Trump family business is going to make any money off this thing. Some good investigative journalists should look into it. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
14  Sunshine    5 years ago

A bit off topic....but on my way to work this morning there was a firefighter on the radio talking about fireworks safety and he said the most dangerous firework was the sparkler.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
14.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sunshine @14    5 years ago

thanks for the warning.

alert Trump while you're at it.

he may be thinking about playing with them tomorrow. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
14.1.1  Sunshine  replied to  JohnRussell @14.1    5 years ago
he may be thinking about playing with them tomorrow. 

Awe..someday it won't hurt so much.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
14.1.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sunshine @14.1.1    5 years ago

Whatever. I don't reply substantively to drivel. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
14.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @14.1    5 years ago

Good advice.  I was going to suggest the same thing.  He might burn his tiny little pussy grabbers.  

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
14.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Sunshine @14    5 years ago
the most dangerous firework

I'm pretty sure the gist of what Trump likely proclaimed when his dad left him over $400 million in cash and assets was "You're fired work!"... Never worked another day in his life because being a lying ignorant sexist asshole comes so naturally.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
14.2.1  Sunshine  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @14.2    5 years ago

The TDS crowd manages to get Trump digs out of radio show about firework safety....and they still can't figure out why they lost to him. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
15  TᵢG    5 years ago

I would prefer a more historic display celebrating the actual event - our declaration of independence and the origin of liberty in our nation.   I am good with really cool fireworks, large screen historical images on the mall.   The Blue Angels is cool but not as a show of military strength but rather the aerial entertainment.    Fire off some cannons in a grand salute.   Have a parade of historical figures.   That kind of stuff.

It is costly, unnecessary and an ill-advised worldwide message to show off military might.   We should be focused on liberty, etc. not on military might.   IMO.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
15.1  MrFrost  replied to  TᵢG @15    5 years ago
We should be focused on liberty, etc. not on military might.   IMO.

I totally agree. But I have to admit I would love to see a parade of our military's uniforms over the years. Start with the oldest, newest in the back. 

Let me be clear. I in no way support trumps version of the 4th of July which is nothing more than trump stroking his own pathetic ego, on the tax payers dime. That being said, our military has defended our liberty and way of life since we became a nation, I think they should be included in a "National 4th of July Celebration". Without the military, we would have no liberty or freedom. 

Just my opinion of course. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
15.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  MrFrost @15.1    5 years ago

I agree, the military is indeed critical to our liberty and honoring its history makes perfect sense.

I was referring to a display of military might.   I am all for recognizing and honoring the sacrifices of our historical military.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
15.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  MrFrost @15.1    5 years ago

It would be interesting to see how uniforms have changed over the years with a display like a parade. I went thru 2 uniform changes. We went from OD Greens to BDUs but our service dress stayed the same

MrFrost
Professor Expert
15.1.3  MrFrost  replied to  TᵢG @15.1.1    5 years ago
I was referring to a display of military might.

Fair enough, that comment was before I had any caffeine so I wasn't pay attention.. ;)

MrFrost
Professor Expert
15.1.4  MrFrost  replied to  Trout Giggles @15.1.2    5 years ago

I think we only had one, and it was just a color change. Green to tan, for Desert Storm. As I recall, initially the Corps said that you could NOT wear the, "desert cammis" when stateside, but changed that shortly after. I didn't care either way, I flew from Hawaii to Camp Pendleton, took a day to check out and went on 45 days of terminal leave. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
15.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  MrFrost @15.1.4    5 years ago

I was out by the time Desert Shield/Storm arrived but I remember the troops not being allowed to wear the tans stateside and then it all changed.

And they got those awesome desert boots that looked really comfortable. Were they more comfortable than the standard issue combat boots?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
15.1.6  MrFrost  replied to  Trout Giggles @15.1.5    5 years ago
And they got those awesome desert boots that looked really comfortable. Were they more comfortable than the standard issue combat boots?

They were ok I guess, a little more comfortable. I bought a pair of Israeli desert boots...now those were some comfortable boots. The sole was soft rubber, perfect for sand. The hoops I had to jump through to even wear them, (Marine's are picky about shit like that). The weird thing is to this day, I cannot remember where I bought them. 

Ender
Professor Principal
16  Ender    5 years ago

What pisses me off is we all know he will just use this as another political rally. He cannot help but talk about himself. It is always only about him, the narcissist in chief.

The flyover will include a performance by the Blue Angels, an F-35 jet from the Navy, an aircraft from Marine Helicopter Squadron One and one of the planes used in the fleet for Air Force One, the specialized airliner that carries the president.

It will also include a B-2 stealth bomber, the batwing shaped jet made famous during the Persian Gulf War, and F-22 Raptors, the Pentagon fighter jet, said a defense official

Link

Why all these planes needed..This is way over the top.

The celebration should be Independence...not domination. It should be freedom...not locking people in camps and showing might.

We are showing the world that we are becoming what we are supposed to be against.

Also,

The White House is distributing tickets for President Trump’s July Fourth speech on the Mall to Republican donors and political appointees, prompting Democratic lawmakers to question whether the administration’s planned celebration violates federal ethics rules.

The Republican National Committee confirmed on Tuesday that it had received some passes to Trump’s address at the Lincoln Memorial, which it described as standard for presidential events.

The White House has also provided a select number of tickets to top staffers at federal agencies, who are free to distribute them as they would like.

“We’ve never seen anything like this,” said Sen. Tom Udall (N.M.), the top Democrat on the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on the Interior, Environment and Related Agencies, in a phone interview. “No ticketed political event should be paid for with taxpayer dollars.”

Brendan Fischer, who directs federal reform for the Campaign Legal Center, said in a phone interview that while it may not violate federal ethics law to distribute limited tickets to the president’s speech to party contributors, “it certainly looks bad.”

“Limiting public access to a public monument on Independence Day in favor of wealthy donors just sends a signal that our political system favors the wealthy and well-connected,” he added.

Since federal appropriations law prohibits using public money for political purposes, Fischer noted, the issue will depend on what Trump says in his speech. If he refers to some of the 2020 presidential hopefuls, or polling related to the race, Trump’s reelection campaign may have to reimburse the U.S. Treasury.

“The content of the event, and the nature of the event, is probably the determining factor” as opposed to donors getting to see Trump up close, he said.

So those that will have top access to this are republicans and wealthy GOP donors. I know that some will defend trump no matter what he does yet I have to ask...What would these same apologists say if it was Obama using tax payer money to give top Democrat donors priority?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
16.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Ender @16    5 years ago

Trump's best play is to just talk about the country without mentioning himself. It might help him look "presidential" in the eyes of the easily impressed. 

The big suspense is can he control himself enough to do himself some good. 

If he even mentions his administration it would be out of line for the day. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
16.2.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @16.2    5 years ago

without mentioning himself .

He is incapable and unwilling to not make things about him.  The world revolves around him and the rest of his grifter/con artists family after all.jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
16.2.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @16.2.1    5 years ago
He is incapable and unwilling to not make things about him. 

It looks like you've been proved wrong!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
16.2.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Vic Eldred @16.2.2    5 years ago

I have been right more times than I have been wrong.