╌>

Trump wants to strike fear in anyone who might investigate or expose him, and it's working

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  5 years ago  •  13 comments

Trump wants to strike fear in anyone who might investigate or expose him, and it's working

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Michael J. Stern, USA TODAY Opinion

When I retired from the Department of Justice, shortly before the start of the 2016 presidential campaign, I found myself obsessively watching and reading the news. In an effort to reduce my chances of a stroke, I channeled my frustration with all things Trump into writing   political op-eds . Then I sent them to family, friends and many of the federal prosecutors I’m still in touch with in several U.S. attorney’s offices.

And from those prosecutors who get my articles, I’ve received nothing but an unabashed two thumbs-up. Until now.  

Since taking office, President Donald Trump has been pressuring the Department of Justice to   prosecute his political opponents   and the law enforcement team responsible for initiating the Russia investigation. Attorney General   Jeff Sessions resisted . But when Trump   installed William Barr   as the head of federal law enforcement, Trump had a strategy in mind. With a presidential twist of the arm, Barr raised a white flag before the first tendon snapped. 

Trump wants investigators to fear him

So began the Justice Department’s all-out offensive to   ­“investigate the investigators.”   In its wake, I’ve started receiving emails from federal prosecutors that go something like this: “Please keep sending me your articles, but don’t send them to my office email anymore.”    

At first, I was surprised that my former colleagues would have any concern about receiving an article published in a mainstream newspaper. But over the past two years, the president has publicly buried government employees who investigated criminal activity connected to him or his campaign.   FBI Director James Comey ,   Acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe ,   FBI agent Peter Strzok  and   FBI attorney Lisa Page   all worked on the investigation that documented Russian election interference designed to help Trump take the White House. All were fired or forced from their jobs.

f53c71096a721dfc221d050c43e03637

Add to that list the president’s statement that Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein   should be jailed   for appointing special counsel Robert Mueller and Trump’s order directing White House counsel Don McGahn to fire Mueller . And just last week, in response to word that Mueller is scheduled to testify before Congress this month, the president falsely accused the former special counsel of destroying text messages between Strzok and Page and added,  “That’s illegal. That’s a crime.”

Unvetted and unconfirmed:   Obama didn't want a 'what now' moment if he won. Trump didn't plan and now we have chaos.

The president’s public campaign to turn the tables on the investigators is not limited to tyrannical retribution. It is designed to make prosecutors and agents second-guess every move they make in future investigations, for fear of becoming a target of the agency that employs them. 

It’s designed to make them think: If I seek a wiretap on a Trump associate who is actively involved in criminal activities, will I end up spending the rest of my career prosecuting illegal reentry cases? Or, will DOJ assign someone to look through every text on my work phone, like they did to Strzok and Page? What will they do with the embarrassing personal texts they find?

Trump gets results with pressure and fear

Former FBI legal counsel   Jim Baker said recently   that the Trump-Barr attack on law enforcement will have a “chilling effect” on investigators who will worry that by investigating Russia’s interference in our elections, they could end up “being investigated themselves.”

I originally ended this piece with the comforting thought that Trump’s efforts will have no effect on those who inherit the duty of investigating corruption in the administration for which they work. But days passed, and I could not get myself to submit it for publication. 

Civil rights assault:  Trump Justice Department has turned 'religious liberty' into a license to discriminate

While I continue to have unfailing admiration and respect for the agents and prosecutors who dedicate themselves to the often thankless work of righting wrongs and keeping us safe, they are human. For all of Trump’s shortcomings, his superpower is influencing people through pressure, and desire, and fear. If the moral decomposition of   Barr Rudy Giuliani  and retired Marine Corps  Gen. John Kelly   has taught us anything, it is that.    

I don’t know Sarah Fabian. Yet I’m willing to bet that when she joined the Justice Department’s legal team, she never imagined she would be the subject of a   viral video   in which she defended DOJ’s position that it is entitled to withhold basic sanitary supplies, like a toothbrush and soap, from children in detention camps who are sleeping on concrete floors with foil blankets. 

Paralysis and fizzled investigations

There wasn’t a gun to Fabian’s head at last month’s court hearing. But as she squirmed under the inquisition light of the judges’ pointed questions, I could see DOJ’s long arm and a shadow of the threat that no doubt accompanied her into court that morning. 

Trump and his eager henchman Barr have made clear that agents and prosecutors who investigate the president, his administration or his campaign   are at risk   of   losing their jobs , their reputations and even their   freedom .

It isn’t necessary for Trump to expressly prohibit investigations he wants stymied. As the president’s former personal attorney, Michael Cohen, testified to Congress, Trump expresses the   subtext of his illicit directives in code . It so happens that agents and prosecutors, who have experience investigating the illegal activity of mob bosses, are well-versed in translating criminal code. 

For law enforcement agents and prosecutors, second-guessing means lost opportunities and investigations that fizzle when they should spark. For Donald Trump, investigative palsy is not an unfortunate side effect of the most recent iteration of his DOJ takeover. Fear, and the paralysis that follows, is the point. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

Trump Wants Investigators To Fear Him

So began the Justice Department’s all-out offensive to   ­“investigate the investigators.”   In its wake, I’ve started receiving emails from federal prosecutors that go something like this: “Please keep sending me your articles, but don’t send them to my office email anymore.”    

At first, I was surprised that my former colleagues would have any concern about receiving an article published in a mainstream newspaper. But over the past two years, the president has publicly buried government employees who investigated criminal activity connected to him or his campaign.   FBI Director James Comey ,   Acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe ,   FBI agent Peter Strzok  and   FBI attorney Lisa Page   all worked on the investigation that documented Russian election interference designed to help Trump take the White House. All were fired or forced from their jobs.

Add to that list the president’s statement that Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein   should be jailed   for appointing special counsel Robert Mueller and Trump’s order directing White House counsel Don McGahn to fire Mueller . And just last week, in response to word that Mueller is scheduled to testify before Congress this month, the president falsely accused the former special counsel of destroying text messages between Strzok and Page and added,  “That’s illegal. That’s a crime.”

Unvetted and unconfirmed:   Obama didn't want a 'what now' moment if he won. Trump didn't plan and now we have chaos.

The president’s public campaign to turn the tables on the investigators is not limited to tyrannical retribution. It is designed to make prosecutors and agents second-guess every move they make in future investigations, for fear of becoming a target of the agency that employs them. 

It’s designed to make them think: If I seek a wiretap on a Trump associate who is actively involved in criminal activities, will I end up spending the rest of my career prosecuting illegal reentry cases? Or, will DOJ assign someone to look through every text on my work phone, like they did to Strzok and Page? What will they do with the embarrassing personal texts they find?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

Our 'president' is a mobster, thug

luther28
Sophomore Silent
3  luther28    5 years ago

Trump wants to strike fear in anyone who might investigate or expose him

The investigations should be pursued to conclusion, but Tessylo I really do not want to have Mr. Trump exposed, just the thought has my eyeballs inflamed :)

Our 'president' is a mobster, thug

I must disagree, I have known both mobsters and thugs Mr. Trump is not bright enough to be either ( besides, he is a sissy).

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4  Trout Giggles    5 years ago

He thinks he's a dictator!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Trout Giggles @4    5 years ago

Well, he is a "dick" and has the intelligence of a "potato so your comment is spot on.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
4.1.1  luther28  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.1    5 years ago

Now that was rather clever indeed, well played :)

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  luther28 @4.1.1    5 years ago

That was clever!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  luther28 @4.1.1    5 years ago

jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    5 years ago

How can it be working when there are soooooo many investigations?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6  bbl-1    5 years ago

the Trump appears invincible because so many in power are protecting him.  His real weakness is himself.  And this too-------Melania.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7  Krishna    5 years ago

Trump Wants To Strike Fear In Anyone Who Might Investigate Or Expose Him, And It's Working

True. And it certainly is working!

He's got AOC totally terrified of him!

(In fact, watching the dem. presidential debates, its obvious that many of them are terrified of Trump-- and won't say a bad word about him!

So yes-- it is working!!!!)