╌>

Trump suggests homelessness is a 'phenomenon that started two years ago' in barely comprehensible interview

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  5 years ago  •  58 comments

Trump suggests homelessness is a 'phenomenon that started two years ago' in barely comprehensible interview

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

• Trump suggests homelessness is a 'phenomenon that started two years ago' in barely comprehensible interview

Emma Snaith, The Independent

Donald Trump   has suggested that   homelessness   is a “phenomenon that started two years ago” and said that he “may intercede” to tackle the crisis.

The US president also implied that homeless people living in the streets of US cities were making police officers sick.

He made the comments in a rambling interview with Fox News host   Tucker Carlson   in Japan, which was broadcast on Monday.

When Mr Carlson asked Mr Trump why US cities including have “a major problem with filth”, unlike Japanese cities, Mr Trump appeared to talk about homelessness instead.

“It's a phenomenon that started two years ago,” he said. “It's disgraceful”.

He added: “You can’t have what’s happening – where police officers are getting sick just by walking the beat,”

“I mean, they’re getting actually very sick, where people are getting sick, where the people living there are living in hell too.”

Mr Trump may have been referring to a Los Angeles police officer who was diagnosed with typhoid fever last month after working in a downtown area with a large homeless population.

“Some of them have mental problems where they don’t even know they’re living that way,” Mr Trump added. “In fact, perhaps they like living that way."

“We cannot ruin our cities. And you have people that work in those cities. They work in office buildings and to get into the building, they have to walk through a scene that nobody would have believed possible three years ago.”

Throughout the segment, it was unclear what the US president was referring to as he did not mention the word “homelessness”.

“When we have leaders of the world coming in to see the president of the United States and they’re riding down a highway, they can’t be looking at that,” he added. “I really believe that it hurts our country.”

Mr Trump said the cities facing these problems “are usually sanctuary cities run by very liberal people”.

“We may intercede. We may do something to get that whole thing cleaned up,” he added. “It's inappropriate.”

Los Angeles   has seen homelessness increase by 16 per cent over the last year as the city’s housing crisis intensifies.

Likewise, in   San Francisco , homelessness has increased by 17 per cent in the past year despite the tech boom which has benefited many companies based in the city.

In the same fox interview, Mr Trump railed against some of these big tech companies in San Francisco.

“Facebook was against me,” he said. “They were all against me.

“Twitter was against me… I’ve been very good for Twitter. I don’t think Twitter would be the same without what I do on Twitter.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

“It's a phenomenon that started two years ago,” he said. “It's disgraceful”.

He added: “You can’t have what’s happening – where police officers are getting sick just by walking the beat,”

“I mean, they’re getting actually very sick, where people are getting sick, where the people living there are living in hell too.”

Mr Trump may have been referring to a Los Angeles police officer who was diagnosed with typhoid fever last month after working in a downtown area with a large homeless population.

“Some of them have mental problems where they don’t even know they’re living that way,” Mr Trump added. “In fact, perhaps they like living that way."

“We cannot ruin our cities. And you have people that work in those cities. They work in office buildings and to get into the building, they have to walk through a scene that nobody would have believed possible three years ago.”

katrix
Sophomore Participates
1.1  katrix  replied to  Tessylo @1    5 years ago

What a fucking idiot.  I lived in lower Manhattan for a year and a half in 2000/2001 - when Trump lived in the city - and the homeless were all over the place.

This man is a moron and an embarrassment to our country.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  katrix @1.1    5 years ago

I saw homeless people in Manhattan in 1980

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  cjcold  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.1    5 years ago

Spent time in NYC back in the 60s. and there were homeless folk living on the street back then.

How the hell did Trump get to be so stupid?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  cjcold @1.1.2    5 years ago
How the hell did Trump get to be so stupid?

It's the only thing he works hard at

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

Why would Fucker even broadcast this interview?

What a fucking moron.  

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3  lady in black    5 years ago

Moron alert POS orange conman toddler in chief.

Sorry, but it is sickening that there are Americans that actually support this national embarrassment.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
5  al Jizzerror    5 years ago

WTF?

Is the Donald taking "credit" for homelessness?  It's not something that started two years ago.

Many vets are homeless.  I hope Trump decides to provide (and all of the other homeless people) them with shelter.

“We may intercede. We may do something to get that whole thing cleaned up,”

So what's the cleanup plan?  Is The Donald going to put them in fucking cages?

Many homeless people have mental health issues.  Here's the proof:

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.1  bbl-1  replied to  al Jizzerror @5    5 years ago

The Final Solution?

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
6  livefreeordie    5 years ago

I listened to the interview. Trump did not say that homelessness started two years ago. It was in the context oh how leftist policies in these mostly Democrat run cities are leading to increased disease, filth, and crime.

It is absolutely correct

“While combatting climate change remains a top priority for Democrat Gov. Gavin Newsom and Democrat Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, the streets of California’s cities are filled with homeless camps, garbage, and disease-spreading rats.

In a throwback to medieval times, Los Angeles is facing an infectious disease epidemic caused by flea-borne disease linked to rat-infested streets. Last October, the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health issued a health alert surrounding an outbreak of flea-borne typhus in the homeless population in downtown Los Angeles.

A month later, Deputy City Attorney Liz Greenwood was diagnosed with typhus, which she claims came from fleas carried by rats that are infesting City Hall and an adjacent building, City Hall East, where she worked.”

LA business crippled by homeless crime and filth on NBC News

I used to live less than a mile from this riverbed which was a popular trail from biking and walkers until the homeless turned it into tent cities where they ran theft and drug rings until finally cleared last year. They would break into our homes., stand outside begging, or we’d find them passed out in our flower beds and bushes from drinking and drugs

And at the Santa Ana Civic Center which they also took over until last year

And of course San Francisco

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6.1  bbl-1  replied to  livefreeordie @6    5 years ago

Actually---and to be far more accurate---a better summation of what the Trump said or did not say could be simply categorized as--------nothing.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
6.2  pat wilson  replied to  livefreeordie @6    5 years ago
tent cities where they ran theft and drug rings until finally cleared last year.
And at the Santa Ana Civic Center which they also took over until last year
Why would you mention these while admitting they've already been cleaned up ?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

I think you'll find that homelessness is an epidemic in most major cities, though more so in temperate climates as mentioned above.  Ditto regarding rats and major cities.  

I find it interesting how you compare the homeless with filth.  Interesting is the only word I could find without getting a violation.  

Theft and drug rings?  Oh for fucks sake.  

It is not democratic policies leading to increased disease, filth, and crime.  

I don't trust the majority of your links and refuse to click on them.  

katrix
Sophomore Participates
7.1  katrix  replied to  Tessylo @7    5 years ago

OMG, the rats were everywhere in NYC in 2000.  Some of them were as big as a small cat. Go to Penn Station around 3:30 in the morning sometime .. .giant rats all over the middle platform, along the rails ...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  katrix @7.1    5 years ago

But it's because of the homeless don't you know?

katrix
Sophomore Participates
7.1.2  katrix  replied to  Tessylo @7.1.1    5 years ago

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's because of all the garbage generated by all the restaurants ;)

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
7.2  livefreeordie  replied to  Tessylo @7    5 years ago

Yeah because first hand video and network news stations are unreliable

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.2.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  livefreeordie @7.2    5 years ago

You tube whackjobs are hardly reliable.  Two of your other sources are news sites.

Whatever.  

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7.3  Split Personality  replied to  Tessylo @7    5 years ago

from a reportedly bipartisan group.........

Homelessness is a growing problem that negatively impacts the nation’s economic competitiveness.

According to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s (HUD) 2017 Annual Homeless Assessment Report ( AHAR ) to Congress,

homelessness in the United States increased for the first time in seven years , and increases in the numbers of unsheltered individuals in the

50 largest cities accounted for nearly all of the national increase.

In fact, on a single night in 2017, 553,742 people were experiencing homelessness in the United States.

Unsheltered homelessness is particularly high in California; 68 percent of California’s homeless population is unsheltered, contrasted with 24 percent in the rest of the nation

"increased for the first time in seven years" according to a 2017 HUD report by Ben Carson and the Trump Administration.

Ender
Professor Principal
8  Ender    5 years ago

The moron in chief has to always make it about him. From him being embarrassed by seeing the homeless on the streets to twitter being better off having him on the platform.

Saying that they are mentally ill, I can see his plan now. Bringing back people being forced into mental institutions.

Tucked away, out of sight, out of mind.

PJ
Masters Quiet
9  PJ    5 years ago

Another disturbing interview by trump. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
10  bbl-1    5 years ago

A term coined a couple of decades ago stated, "The dumbing down of America is underway."  The Trumpian base proves it.

As far as the Trump stating what he did--------which is non-sensical------uh, "Mexico will pay for the wall."  Covers it nicely.  Read em' and weep suckers.

This too.  If the Trump is re-elected he will be able to fill six or seven additional Supreme Court Seats.  And, hundreds of lower court positions.  The spirit of Roland Freisler is watching.

freepress
Freshman Silent
11  freepress    5 years ago

The man is totally delusional. He definitely has dementia, and all the signs have manifested since he took office. 

The wandering around not noticing the car in front of him getting off the plane, his disorientation at several world events like the one with Netanyahu and wandering off the stage and they had to run after him. 

Several times in the White House he has meetings that have been taped and doesn't remember names or cannot remember that someone he just talked about is in the room.

Add all the unbelievable speech slurring and difficulty with word finding, one of the more recent events was the "wardrobe" incident at the medal ceremony.

Trump has displayed classic signs of paranoia that come with dementia. Anyone that has ever had a family member begin to deteriorate knows this too well. He is unfit for office and his terrible family lets him embarrass himself and do nothing to get him help or encourage him to step down for medical reasons.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
11.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  freepress @11    5 years ago
one of the more recent events was the "wardrobe" incident at the medal ceremony.

Would you give me key words or a link so I can google that? It sounds interesting

Tessylo
Professor Principal
12  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

President Trump talks about the problem with homelessness and filth in large American cities like Los Angeles, San Francisco, and New York City in an interview with Tucker Carlson.

TUCKER CARLSON, FOX NEWS:  You’ve come to where we are now Osaka or Tokyo and the cities are clean.  There's no graffiti.  No one going to bathroom on the street.  You don't see junkies.  

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP:  It's very nice, isn't it?  

CARLSON:  Very different from our city.  

TRUMP:  Yes.  Well, no, some of our cities --  

CARLSON:  Some of our cities, but New York City, San Francisco, Los Angeles - they've got a major problem with --  

TRUMP:  It's very sad.  

CARLSON:  With filth.  Why is that?  

TRUMP:  It's a phenomena that started two years ago.  It's disgraceful.  I'm going to may be and I'm looking at it very seriously, we're doing some other things that you probably noticed like some of the very important things that we're doing now.  But we're looking at it very seriously because you can't do that 

You can't have what's happening -- where police officers are getting sick just by walking the beat.  I mean, they're getting actually very sick, where people are getting sick, where the people living there living in hell, too.  

Although some of them have mental problems where they don't even know they're living that way.  In fact, perhaps they like living that way.  They can't do that.  We cannot ruin our cities.  And you have people that work in those cities.  They work in office buildings and to get into the building, they have to walk through a scene that nobody would have believed possible three years ago.  

And this is the liberal establishment.  This is what I'm fighting.  They -- I don't know if they're afraid of votes.  I don't know if they really believe that this should be taking place.  But it's a terrible thing that's taking place.  And we may be --  

You know, I had a situation when I first became President, we had certain areas of Washington, D.C. where that was starting to happen, and I ended it very quickly.  I said, "You can't do that."  

When we have leaders of the world coming in to see the President of the United States and they're riding down a highway, they can't be looking at that.  I really believe that it hurts our country.  

They can't be looking at scenes like you see in Los Angeles and San Francisco.  San Francisco, I own property in San Francisco, so I don't care except it was so beautiful.  And now areas that you used to think as being, you know, really something very special, you take a look at what's going on with San Francisco, it's terrible.  

So we're looking at it very seriously.  We may intercede.  We may do something to get that whole thing cleaned up.  It's inappropriate.  

Now, we have to take the people and do something.  We have to do something.  

CARLSON:  Right.  

TRUMP:  And, you know, we're really not very equipped as a government to be doing that kind of work.  That's not really the kind of work that the government probably should be doing.  

We've never had this in our lives before in our country.  And it's not only those few cities, it's a couple of other ones.  

CARLSON:  No, it's a lot of cities.  

TRUMP:  At the same time, most of our cities are doing great.  But if you look at some of these, they are usually sanctuary cities run by very liberal people and the states are run by very liberal people.  

But the thing that nobody can figure out is do these governors or mayors, do they really think this is a positive?  Do they really think this is okay?  Because it's not.  It's destroying their city.  And it's destroying a whole way of life, and it's not our country.  It's not what our country is all about.  
I

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
12.1  bbl-1  replied to  Tessylo @12    5 years ago

Is Tucker C one of those ambial sexuals?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
12.1.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  bbl-1 @12.1    5 years ago

Like you said above the 'president' said absolutely nothing about doing anything