╌>

Caifornia Town Of 28,000 Hit By Earthquake

Category:  News & Politics

By:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  23 comments

Caifornia Town Of 28,000 Hit By Earthquake

The city of Ridgecrest California was hit by a 6.4 earthquake July 4 morning. There are some reports of damage to buildings and fires in structures. The local hospital has been evacuated as a precaution. 

There is some fear in the area that another earthquake could be coming. 

07h10KHo_normal.jpeg

Kern County Fire

@kerncountyfire

# EarthquakeResponse @ kerncountyfire resources working nearly 2 dozens incidents ranging from medical assistance to structure fires in and around the city of Ridgecrest, CA. @ kerncountyfire Urban Search and Rescue teams en route. # kerncountyfirefighters

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    5 years ago

TV News says a warning has gone out for possible more earthquakes.   Tough 4th of July out there. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

Was sitting at my desk and watching the 4th of July parade here in our apt complex when the blinds started to slowly sway, and I could feel the room swaying a bit. No shaking, just slow swaying. 

We've had small quakes in our area here near Riverside CA where I live for the past few months, but, nothing really that big. The biggest was 3.1. I am about 2 hrs or so SE of the quake center so I didn't feel it that much. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

The coincidental thing here on the other side of the world is that there was at the same time a 5.2 earthquake close to where I live.  I was sitting at the computer in my 15th floor apartment yesterday and the building swayed three times. Videos showing the aftermath of the California earthquake were shown on the news broadcast here this morning - fires, cleaning up supermarket shelf spills, etc.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.2.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2    5 years ago

One thing about earthquakes.....they are non-discriminating. They don't care who you are, what your political or religious beliefs are, rich or poor, or your ethnic background. Anyone and everyone is fair game. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Raven Wing @1.2.1    5 years ago

One did a hell of a lot of damage and caused a lot of lost lives near here in 2008.  It did damage where I was at the time 1000 km away.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.2.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.2    5 years ago

Yes....it does seem that China, and Japan, are very prone to earthquakes, just like So. Calif. 

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.2.4  SteevieGee  replied to  Raven Wing @1.2.1    5 years ago
One thing about earthquakes.....they are non-discriminating. They don't care who you are, what your political or religious beliefs are, rich or poor, or your ethnic background. Anyone and everyone is fair game. 

Really?  Because I heard it was god punishing gays.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.2.5  Raven Wing  replied to  SteevieGee @1.2.4    5 years ago
Because I heard it was god punishing gays

Nah. That's just some CINO's slandering their own God. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

I was born in Ridgecrest. Glad I don't live there no more....

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.4  Raven Wing  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

A second, stronger quake of 7.1 magnitude hit near Ridgecrest at about 8:10 PM Pacific time. It was more swaying than shaking and lasted for about a minute or so. It was stronger and longer than the one yesterday, and it was not an aftershock but a new quake.

Yoda Girl looked at me as if to say, "Why are you moving the house so much?" But, she showed no signs of being scared.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.4.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Raven Wing @1.4    5 years ago

Do you actually live in Ridgecrest? If so, are you familiar with a street called Upjohn? That was the street I lived on as a child in the late 50's.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

There was a 7.2 on the 5th and downgraded to a 6.9.  The first one I barely felt, but the one yesterday I definitely felt.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2  MrFrost    5 years ago

Hoping all are safe. Having been in an earthquake, I can say they are really unpleasant. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  MrFrost @2    5 years ago

I remember a smaller Thanksgiving Day one here in Redding about 20 years ago and its same day aftershock.  Here’s hoping for the best for our fellow citizens in Ridge Crest and Kern County as well as the eastern parts of LA and San Bernardino counties.  

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.2  Raven Wing  replied to  MrFrost @2    5 years ago

I moved to So Cal with my parents as a young girl in 1961 and have experienced several quakes of various magnitudes since that time. The most significant one was the one in Landers. We were living in San Diego just a bit south of downtown San Diego, and the house began to move from side to side as if in slow-mo. But, it was the movements were very big stretches, and the heavy overhead beams in the den room were literally screaming as they were being stretched from side to side. The first one lasted longer than a minute, and the following quakes only lasted several seconds. It was truly the worst quake I can recall.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3  MrFrost    5 years ago

Some of the comments being posted about this story on fox news are truly disgusting. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
5  pat wilson    5 years ago

I was laying on my bed reading and felt the house sway a little bit. Makes you feel a little dizzy.