╌>

Amazon admits it holds onto your voice recordings indefinitely

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  12 comments

Amazon admits it holds onto your voice recordings indefinitely
In a letter to Congress, the online shopping giant reveals that even if you delete voice recordings from Alexa or Echo, Amazon holds onto a record of what you say.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Do you trust Amazon?

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2  FLYNAVY1    5 years ago

To ship purchases for delivery.... yes.  As far as internet security and privacy.....Hell No!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2    5 years ago

Agreed. I don't use either of those two devices anyway.  For other than shipping, I trust Amazon only slightly more than I do Facebook. Zuck has run  amok!

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3  SteevieGee    5 years ago

Mrs. Gee bought me an echo years ago when they first came out.  I sent it back.  It may not do anything until you say alexa but it is ALWAYS LISTENING TO YOU and, apparently, recording you.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
4  The Magic 8 Ball    5 years ago
In a letter to Congress, the online shopping giant reveals that even if you delete voice recordings from Alexa or Echo, Amazon holds onto a record of what you say.

hold up... people had to be told this was going on?   LOL

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5  It Is ME    5 years ago

I don't even trust my own "Smart Phone" !

It's "Smarter" than I am. It's like it "KNOWS ME" without "ME" even asking !

Don't have the other "Intelligent" stuff for just that reason.

charger 383
Professor Silent
6  charger 383    5 years ago

I don't really trust the alarm clock any more

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7  TᵢG    5 years ago

Two scenarios:

1. Echo records all audio within its range.   That would mean normal conversations that do not involve interacting with the device.   That is, audio that was not preceded by "Alexa, ..."
  2. Echo records all interactions directed to it.   That means it records every command issued such as: 'Alexa, weather' or 'Alexa, reorder toilet paper' or 'Alexa drop in on Kyle'.

Scenario 1 is outrageous.   If this were found to be true then Amazon would be in major trouble.   This could kill the Echo product line.

Scenario 2 is common.  Every time we do something online with anyone (not just Amazon) and, indeed, every time we do a search our interactions are recorded in perpetuity.   The fact that the interaction is voice rather than simply text is immaterial.  

And it is going to get worse.   For example, do you stop and consider the fact that your smart phone tracks you?   That your credit card usage tracks you?   That driving in your modern smart car tracks you?

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
8  Mark in Wyoming     5 years ago

Simple question, don't these things come with an "OFF " button or are they shipped and permanently in an activated on setting forever?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.1  TᵢG  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @8    5 years ago

In this case, you can only unplug the device from its power source or detach it from its WiFi source.   Either way, the device becomes a paper weight.