╌>

7.1 magnitude earthquake shakes Southern California

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  22 comments

7.1 magnitude earthquake shakes Southern California
A 7.1 magnitude earthquake shakes Southern California, only one day after the most powerful quake there in 20 years.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

We will keep track of this as the day goes on.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

The one yesterday was just a bit of slow swaying for a few seconds. The one tonight was much stronger and lasted longer. As the one today was 7.1 compared to the 6.4 yesterday, it was no wonder it was stronger and longer, but, there was no shaking, just swaying.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  cjcold  replied to  Raven Wing @1.1    5 years ago

Last time I was in Cali. the building started shaking. She woke up and said "don't worry about it, it's a small one." And then she went back to sleep. Even random gunfire from miles away wakes me up. Don't think I could ever be a true Angelino.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.1.2  pat wilson  replied to  Raven Wing @1.1    5 years ago

Felt like the floor was made of jello for about a minute.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.3  Dulay  replied to  Raven Wing @1.1    5 years ago

When you're in them, they feel like that last forever. I lived in Mountain View, CA during the 89 earthquake. It felt like it lasted for a whole minute, it was about 15 seconds. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.4  devangelical  replied to  cjcold @1.1.1    5 years ago

Last time I was in a LA quake, I ended up standing in the parking lot of the Sherman Oaks Travel Lodge in my underwear by the time things stopped shaking. office staff was amused.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1.5  Raven Wing  replied to  cjcold @1.1.1    5 years ago

Yeah.....I have lived in So Calif. since 1961, and the first shaker I felt seemed like it was going on forever. But, it was actually only a couple of seconds and not that strong either. As the years have passed I have felt several much worse quakes. The ones in Landers and Van Nyes were the two that felt the strongest and I was living in South San Diego at the time. They both seemed to have gone on for at least several minutes, and the whole house was vibrating and groaning as it swayed. 

The one on Thursday was just a bit of swaying and only lasted for a second or so. But, the one on Friday was much stronger and longer, but, was just some swaying, no shaking.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1.6  Raven Wing  replied to  pat wilson @1.1.2    5 years ago
Felt like the floor was made of jello for about a minute.

Indeed! Left me feeling a bit queasy for a while. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1.7  Raven Wing  replied to  Dulay @1.1.3    5 years ago
When you're in them, they feel like that last forever.

They do! And you wonder if they will get stronger. Fortunately, they didn't.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.8  Dulay  replied to  Raven Wing @1.1.7    5 years ago
They do! And you wonder if they will get stronger. Fortunately, they didn't.

We had 'shakers' all the time but the first 89 quake moved my California King water bed off of the wall 4 inches. It took me 2 days to drain it and move it back. 

What really pissed me off is that I had just finished all of the drywall repairs from the prior 20 years of quakes and painted. Every freaking doorway in the house was cracked diagonally to the celling again! 

Actually, the worst part was no outside contact for over a week. Phones were jammed and it was impossible to contact my family or the home office in Sacramento. We had prepared and had stocked up so we were good on that and donated for people south of us. There was no getting to San Francisco or Santa Cruz. They collected stuff and helicoptered it south. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1.9  Raven Wing  replied to  Dulay @1.1.8    5 years ago

Indeed...the '89 quake was a nasty one. We didn't feel any of that, but, we read a lot about it. Having been to San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose and Sacramento I could mentally picture some of the areas that were affected. 

For the one in Van Nyes, I work up to the house swaying and could hearing screaming and crying in pain. We turned on the TV to see what had happened and where, it coincided with the screaming and crying I had heard at the time the swaying was going on. It is a very weird feeling when that kind of thing happens.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.10  Dulay  replied to  Raven Wing @1.1.9    5 years ago

Yes the swaying at night is horrid. For days after the first one, there were quakes that woke us up every night. The dog would jump on the bed and try to stay in the air until it stopped. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1.11  Raven Wing  replied to  Dulay @1.1.10    5 years ago

Yrs....It's almost like being in a horror movie. Only it's very real.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2  dave-2693993    5 years ago

Stay safe Raven Wing.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.1  Raven Wing  replied to  dave-2693993 @2    5 years ago

Thanks Dave. Things are good here so far.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Raven Wing @2.1    5 years ago

Stay safe my friend.  I didn't sleep much last night after it hit.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1.1    5 years ago
I didn't sleep much last night after it hit.

Thanks Dear Paula. I sat up most of the night as well. Reading up on what had happened and wondering if another was coming. I finally gave up at about 4:00 am and went to bed. But, every little noise I'd jump up expecting to feel more swaying. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Two full earthquakes hit the same area within 48 hours.

CNN is reporting this morning that there is "extensive" damage in the city of Ridgecrest.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    5 years ago

I live about 120 miles away as the crow flies. We haven't felt any of these quakes, although the dining room lamp was swinging when the 7.1 hit. That was the only way we knew.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tacos! @4    5 years ago

I was on my computer when the first hit.  At first, I thought I banged my knee but two more short jolts happened.  The second was a little stronger, with a rolling sensation.  The duration was about 15 seconds.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.1    5 years ago

Apparently my house felt it because last night we found a small crack in an upstairs bedroom ceiling. It's pretty thin, though. I would have never seen it, but younger eyes prevailed.

I can't really complain though. I grew up pretty close to the Sylmar quake of 71 (the earliest big quake I can remember). We had massive cracks in the ceiling and the entire chimney was slightly separated from the house. Then, the foundation cracked all the way around the house in the Northridge quake. 

So, no biggie today, I guess, but somehow when it's the house you paid for, even a tiny crack bothers you a lot more.