╌>

Toddler falls to her death after grandfather dangles her from cruise ship

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  freefaller  •  5 years ago  •  37 comments

Toddler falls to her death after grandfather dangles her from cruise ship

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A one-year-old American girl slipped from her grandfather's hands and fell to her death off a docked cruise ship in Puerto Rico, authorities said Monday.

The man was holding his grandchild out a window on the Freedom of the Seas cruise ship when he lost his grip and dropped her, police told The Associated Press. The child fell the equivalent of 11 storeys and died.

The incident happened Sunday afternoon with the cruise ship docked in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Royal Caribbean Cruises called the incident "tragic," and said it is providing the family with assistance. The company declined additional comment.

The Freedom of the Seas has 15 decks and can carry up to 4,515 guests, according to the Royal Caribbean Cruises' website . The vessel is approximately 64 metres tall, according to the ship-monitoring website Ship Technology .

No further details have been released about the incident. An investigation is ongoing.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Freefaller    5 years ago

What kind of moron dangles a toddler out a window 11 stories up\

and said it is providing the family with assistance

Hopefully that means assistance to the nearest jail cell

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Freefaller @1    5 years ago

Terrible story, but posted by a rather apropo 

named poster

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.1  devangelical  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.1    5 years ago

butter fingers

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.1    5 years ago
but posted by a rather apropo named poster

Totally unintentional, but I guess you're right

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Freefaller @1    5 years ago

The utter stupidity of the grandfather means he will have to live with that the rest of his life, however long that may be.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.3.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.3    5 years ago
he will have to live with that the rest of his life,

I'm ok with that, although I'd rather he do his living with it while looking out a barred window.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.4  Ender  replied to  Freefaller @1    5 years ago
What kind of moron dangles a toddler out a window

Michael Jackson.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2  TᵢG    5 years ago

This is too much for me to contemplate.   My mind immediately raced to the reality of how that man (a dumb man) must feel.   What the family is going through now.   I do not want to think about this.

Just too devastatingly sad.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Negligent Homicide - the man must pay for his sins, unless he is totally senile and was considered completely mentally incompetent.  However, how old could he be if his grandchild was only a year old?  If he has a soul, he will never again live in peace.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4  PJ    5 years ago

So this dude tortured and terrorized this child by hanging it upside down outside of a window prior to him dropping the child to it's death.   I have no words.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  PJ @4    5 years ago
by hanging it upside down outside of a window

The child was upside down?  Not that it makes his idiocy any worse, but still wow.

I won't pretend I never did any scary stuff (and in retrospect probably stupid) with my kids but jesus christ not 11 stories up

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.1.1  PJ  replied to  Freefaller @4.1    5 years ago

My mistake, the article doesn't claim the child was upside down.  I made that assumption by mistake.  sorry -

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4.1.2  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  PJ @4.1.1    5 years ago
My mistake

No probs, I just thought you'd read another article.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     5 years ago

I can't wrap my head around this...There are no words.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @5    5 years ago

How can anyone, much less a supposedly loving family member, think of doing such a dangerous thing with a child, much less, one that young. There is simply nothing that can begin to excuse or defend that kind of action. And where were the other family members at the time to supervise the child? Was no other family member there to see what was about to happen with the Grandfather sticking the child out the window? Was the man not sound of mind? 

These are some questions that I myself would want to know. It just does not make any sense at all. 

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
5.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Kavika @5    5 years ago

So so sad.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6  Tacos!    5 years ago

He should have thrown himself off right after.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Tacos! @6    5 years ago

You'll get no argument from me on that

GregTx
PhD Guide
7  GregTx    5 years ago

How in the hell could a grandfather even come close to thinking that it would be alright to dangle his grandchild over an expanse at that height?! I get anxious when my grandkids put their feet on the bottom of the railing.

Ender
Professor Principal
8  Ender    5 years ago

I don't get what would posses the man to do that. Was he thinking it was funny...or maybe mad at the child...don't get it.

If he has any conscious he is going to live the rest of his life in grief, knowing what he has done.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Ender @8    5 years ago
Was he thinking

I don't believe thinking played a big part in this tragedy.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
10  Split Personality    5 years ago

And as is usually the case, a day later,

a totally different story emerges about an open window in the children's play area aboard the cruise ship.

Preventable? Absolutely.

100% the grandfathers fault.  No

Was he "dangling the child over the side of the ship"?  No, not even close.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
10.1  It Is ME  replied to  Split Personality @10    5 years ago

"Essentially her grandfather lifts her up and puts her on a railing and where he thinks that there is glass there because it's clear, but it turns out there was no glass there," he said."

The breeze that high up didn't give it away ?

How the Fuck doesn't an ADULT know if their is glass in the way or not before sitting a kid on a railing/ledge that prevents even ADULTS from going close to the glass. Glass is NOT that clear.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
10.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  It Is ME @10.1    5 years ago

looks like the ledge was for food/drinks, not a barrier

Certainly can't see which window was open from the inside.

is it the second from the right?

or the fourth from the right?

Alternating windows appear to be capable of sliding open.

Is the grandfather without blame?

Certainly not by virtue that, yes you would assume he could tell whether or not a window was open.

Did he throw her out the window or dangle her out the window?  Not likely

Will the cruise line settle this out of court?  Most likely...

It Is ME
Masters Guide
10.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  Split Personality @10.1.1    5 years ago
Is the grandfather without blame?

Nope !

It's entirely his fault for not looking FIRST, especially with "Little Precious" in his arms !!

He didn't hold her under the railing, that's for sure !

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
10.2  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Split Personality @10    5 years ago

To be fair that's only the families lawyers story, likely the actual story is somewhere between the two.  Guess we'll just have to wait until the actual investigation is done to get some semblance of the truth. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
10.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Split Personality @10    5 years ago
And as is usually the case, a day later,

Yes, now a totally different story...by a family member who perhaps wants to put the blame on the cruise company to save the Grandfather from possible prosecution.  

Question: Why did the Grandfather put the baby on to ledge and not check to see if the window was indeed closed? Surely at that height there would be some air coming in through an open window. Even in my own home when my window is open I can feel air coming in, even on a calm day, as opposed to being closed. So why didn't the Grandfather double check to make sure the window was indeed closed?

Question: Why did the Grandfather not have a firm hold of the child lest she fall off the ledge even if the window was closed?

These, at least to me, are questions that still need an answer. It would seem to me that a rational person would be more careful with such a precious child to not take anything for granted when in an unfamiliar environment.

So no, I do not by any means blame only the cruise ship in this case. It was pure negligence on the Grandfather's part for not being more careful with the child. It seems that the family member is now simply trying to put the blame fully on the cruise company to try to get a big settlement and save the Grandfather.  

However, I don't think that will float, nor are the courts likely to buy it either. The Grandfather is at fault for his negligence in making sure the area where he put his Granddaughter was truly safe.

JMOO

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
10.3.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Raven Wing @10.3    5 years ago

Regardless of litigation or prosecution one thing I can foresee is cruise lines sealing all windows shut to prevent unforeseeable human stupidity.  Thanks Gramps.  

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
10.3.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Freefaller @10.3.1    5 years ago

I agree. It is hard to imagine the amount of gross stupidity of some people in the world.