╌>

Fame, if you win it, comes and goes in a minute

Category:  News & Politics

By:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  9 comments

Fame, if you win it, comes and goes in a minute
For awhile that year it seemed like the short brash fast talking Texas billionaire could pull off the impossible and win the presidency from outside the two party framework.

Fame, if you win it, comes and goes in a minute....

lyric, "Make Someone Happy"

by Adolph Green and Betty Comden

=====================================

In the early 1990's, H Ross Perot was one of the most famous people in America. He ran for president as a 3rd party candidate and got almost 20 million votes against Bill Clinton and George HW Bush.  For awhile that year it seemed like the short brash fast talking Texas billionaire could pull off the impossible and win the presidency from outside the two party framework. Perot was leading in some polls early in the year. He didnt fare particularly well in the televised debates though and by election day it was clear all he could do was be a spoiler.  Still, it was quite a ride. 

Perot died today at the age of 89.  

I dont think anyone seeded anything here about Perot today, even though the news of his death came out this morning. 

On the ABC World News tonight, the news of his death was 5th or 6th on the list and only merited a quite brief story. 

I guess you need to do better than be the most successful 3rd party candidate in the past 100 years to get a big time obit. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    5 years ago
But more than a quarter century ago, Ross Perot revealed a truth about the American electorate ... the waning hours of his ...
th?id=AR_2a9a5b72b68d9fa5ed95598bf9644f52&pid=news&w=16&h=16&c=14&rs=2&qlt=90
The Atlantic 3h OPINION

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1  Split Personality  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago
Ross Perot Paved Way for a Billionaire to Be President

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     5 years ago

He gave it a hell of a run...

RIP Ross.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3  Paula Bartholomew    5 years ago

RIP Sir.  You were definitely unique.

PJ
Masters Quiet
5  PJ    5 years ago

I vaguely remember Perot when he was running for President because I was too young to vote.  What I do recall thinking is he said some kooky things but I also thought he made a lot of sense on some of the issues. 

RIP - Mr. Perot

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6  Sparty On    5 years ago

Who knows what would have happened had he not dropped out in 92 and then came back

Before he did that he was actually leading in polls in California and Texas mid 1992.

Yeah, you heard that right.

TTGA
Professor Silent
7  TTGA    5 years ago

He also made another famous statement while running.  That was the time when GM was starting to pull out of Michigan (heading for Mexico and China).  Ross said, "Would the last person out of Michigan please turn out the lights".  He knew what was going to happen.  No, he didn't have any information that wasn't available to anyone else, he was just very very smart about reading situations and their results.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8  Trout Giggles    5 years ago

RIP, Mr Perot