╌>

Nicki Minaj cancels Saudi Arabia concert after complaints from human rights groups

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  40 comments

Nicki Minaj cancels Saudi Arabia concert after complaints from human rights groups
"There is no good reason for Minaj to do business with the Saudi dictatorship,” the Human Rights Foundation's president said.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By   Janelle Griffith

Rapper Nicki Minaj said Tuesday she is pulling out of a concert in Saudi Arabia to show support for women’s rights, LGBTQ rights and freedom of expression.

“After careful reflection, I have decided to no longer move forward with my scheduled concert at Jeddah World Fest," Minaj said in a statement to NBC News. "While I want nothing more than to bring my show to fans in Saudi Arabia, after better educating myself on the issues, I believe it is important for me to make clear my support for the rights of women, the LGBTQ community and freedom of expression."

Minaj was due to headline the July 18 festival, billed as “one of the biggest music events ever staged in the Middle East.” The event will take place at the King Abdullah Sports Stadium in Jeddah, with other scheduled performers including former One Direction member Liam Payne and Steve Aoki.

The Human Rights Foundation in a letter last week   called on Minaj to cancel her performance . The advocacy group cited Saudi Arabia's imprisonment and execution of homosexuals, oppression of women and the   murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi .

“There is no good reason for Minaj to do business with the Saudi dictatorship,” Thor Halvorssen, the president of the Human Rights Foundation, said in an   online statement .

"If she proceeds with the show, she will be whitewashing the vast array of human rights crimes" committed by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, he added.

On Tuesday, the New York-based organization praised Minaj’s decision to not perform at the concert.

“We are grateful to Nicki Minaj for her inspiring and thoughtful decision to reject the Saudi regime’s transparent attempt at using her for a public relations stunt,” the foundation president said. “The July 18 festival in Saudi Arabia still shows Liam Payne as a performer. We hope that he follows Nicki Minaj’s lead.

"Minaj’s moral stance differs from celebrity performers like J-Lo and Mariah Carey who in the past have chosen to line their pockets with millions of dollars and stand with dictatorial governments as opposed to with oppressed communities and imprisoned human rights activists,” the statement said.

Organizers of Jeddah World Fest did not immediately return a request for comment.

A   post   on the event's Instagram page Tuesday afternoon said Minaj had canceled "due to personal reasons."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

It's nice to see someone putting their money where their mouth is, instead of just mouthing off. What do you think? Is Nicki right?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

Absolutely - she would be more than welcome in Tel Aviv - in the only true Democracy in the Middle East, where women enjoy equality and LGBT are celebrated.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.2  1stwarrior  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

This is funny.  Nicki was blasted by the Saudi government for her risque dress and dancing and said she needed to clean up her act if she wanted to perform in their country.

What a way for show business to twist it to favor the "stars".

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.1  CB  replied to  1stwarrior @1.2    5 years ago

First, prove your statement - link to the article where Saudi Government explicitly tells her to "clean up her act." (Though Nicki M., can be an R-rated theme.)

Second, even if so, it matters little :

Minaj was due to headline the July 18 festival , billed as “one of the biggest music events ever staged in the Middle East.” The event will take place at the King Abdullah Sports Stadium in Jeddah, with other scheduled performers including former One Direction member Liam Payne and Steve Aoki. The Human Rights Foundation in a letter last week  called on Minaj to cancel her performance . The advocacy group cited Saudi Arabia's imprisonment and execution of homosexuals, oppression of women and the  murder of journalist Jamal Khash oggi .

Clearly they knew Minaj's catalog of work before they invited her to headline however long ago. And, Nicki has every right to listen to her supporters in this country where she resides. (Why risk protests?)

Lastly, are you some conservative morality agent? If you are - how do you feel about Saudi Arabia's piss poor record on homosexuality, women, and murder of journalists?

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.2.2  1stwarrior  replied to  CB @1.2.1    5 years ago

Nicki Minaj has reportedly pulled out of an upcoming festival performance after her booking met with a public backlash due to the festival’s controversial location, according to the Associated Press. She already canceled a number of shows during her recent European tour.

The response to Nicki’s performance came in large part from The Human Rights Foundation, which issued a statement imploring the rapper to consider the message her performance would send. Saudi Arabia enforces gender separation public schools and universities and private businesses both, but recently loosened laws to allow women to drive and attend sporting events.

Aside from technical difficulties and political statements, Nicki has also been known to pull out of shows over hurt feelings as well. She most recently refused to perform at events associated with the BET Awards after an unflattering Facebook post compared her to Cardi B, taking the opportunity to gloat over the show’s record low ratings after the fact.

lib50
Professor Silent
2  lib50    5 years ago

I was glad to hear this,  at least Nicki has more conscience and sense than our own government.  Its been hard to watch the Saudis get a pass for everything, from 9/11 to Khashoggi, with no repercussions.  Every little bit of moral justice is a plus.

CB
Professor Principal
3  CB    5 years ago
"Minaj’s moral stance differs from celebrity performers like J-Lo and Mariah Carey who in the past have chosen to line their pockets with millions of dollars and stand with dictatorial governments as opposed to with oppressed communities and imprisoned human rights activists,” the statement said.

So here is an example to the 'American' president! He chooses to stand with dictatorial government leaders and professes to 'bring home the bacon (or beef if you will),' and let other nations freedom and goodness -their records on oppression, and civil and human rights abuses be ignored. And yet some voters stand with our 'menace' president even though they are sharp enough to know that all money ain't good money! Moreover, mammon can cause a man or woman a soul!

Good on Nickie Minaj for risking it all in the Middle East - for she may never be invited back. She has taken that into account and stood on solid ground. But, heaven's no, this girl didn't go.

Nicki being as sophisticated as you are - Gurl, write a song and video about this experience turning now real-life 'monsters' of the world!

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     5 years ago

Kudos to Nicki

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

I must confess, Iv'e never heard of Nicki, but I don't consider her performing in Saudi Arabia to be an endorsement of what that government does. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6  Trout Giggles    5 years ago

You go, Nicki! Not of a fan of your music, but I just became a fan of you

CB
Professor Principal
6.1  CB  replied to  Trout Giggles @6    5 years ago

Hi Trout! I love the Nicki Minaj sound. She is an exceptional artist for sure. I posted the Anaconda video below for BF, because he can take it. Honestly, I don't blush to often, but when I watched this video the first time I was a "basket case" by the end. Immediately, I showed it to some women to get perspective. It's raunchy and Nicki had enough 'balls' to perform in on TV at various award shows since. She barely scaled it down for 'American' television - but she did do it.

She is definitely adult themed in her rapping and music presentations. On the critic's side in me: She does make amazing creative musical sounds in her productions.

Note: My most favorite lines in Anaconda:

1. "You can tell I ain't missing no meals." 
  2. "P . . . put his a . . .to sleep; now he callin' me Nyquil."

HA!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  CB @6.1    5 years ago

I don't think I've ever listened to any of her music, but I don't listen to modern pop these days. I probably should listen to her before saying "I'm not a fan of her music"

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
7  Dean Moriarty    5 years ago

I don't remember people getting upset when the Rolling Stones preformed in communist Cuba. 

CB
Professor Principal
7.1  CB  replied to  Dean Moriarty @7    5 years ago

Hi Dean. First, the Rolling Stones. Second, in Cuba - not Middle East.  Second. Nickie Minaj's 'breaking news' is she is NOT performing. (Smile.)

CB
Professor Principal
9  CB    5 years ago

Here is Nicki Minaj on the Today Show stage: (The video is not as clean as I would like it, but the sound quality is 'vicious.' See Savannah Guthrie and Al Roker getting down on the sidelines!)

Nicki has street 'cred.'

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
9.1  livefreeordie  replied to  CB @9    5 years ago

Nicki has street 'cred.'

liberal slang for she’s rude, crude, and has no respect for Christian values

CB
Professor Principal
9.1.1  CB  replied to  livefreeordie @9.1    5 years ago

Well, can we count on Christians to make an 'app' for that? How about you? Can we, Christians, count on you?

How are your armaments (aka: WMD's)  holding up today? Keeping your 'powder' dry?

I don't think I have ever heard or read Nicki Minaj issue a prepared statement about her and her "millions" being ready for an insurrection of her own creation. So there is that to her cred. How about you? Have you ever issued such a statement, 'man of God'?

lib50
Professor Silent
9.1.2  lib50  replied to  livefreeordie @9.1    5 years ago

Oh, so that's why you like Trump's 'street cred'?  WTF?

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
9.1.3  livefreeordie  replied to  CB @9.1.1    5 years ago

Being ready to defend our liberties against tyranny is the act of a citizen.it is unrelated to my faith as a Christian.

But I take my advice from the wisdom of our founders and those who influenced them

“[The purpose of a written constitution is] to bind up the several branches of government by certain laws, which, when they transgress, their acts shall become nullities; to render unnecessary an appeal to the people, or in other words a rebellion, on every infraction of their rights, on the peril that their acquiescence shall be construed into an intention to surrender those rights” ~ Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia Q.XIII, 1782. The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, (Memorial Edition) Lipscomb and Bergh, editors, ME 2:178 

"Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience." -- John Locke, 1690

Alexander Hamilton Federalist 28

If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no recourse left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government, and which against the usurpations of the national rulers may be exerted with infinitely better prospect of success than against those of the rulers of an individual State. In a single State, if the persons entrusted with supreme power become usurpers, the different parcels, subdivisions, or districts of which it consists, having no distinct government in each, can take no regular measures for defense. The citizens must rush tumultuously to arms, without concert, without system, without resource; except in their courage and despair."

Finally, let the words of Edward Abbey ring true to this day

"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." 

-- Edward Abbey father of environmental movement in"Abbey's Road", 1979

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
9.1.4  livefreeordie  replied to  lib50 @9.1.2    5 years ago

I don’t like or admire ANYONE’s “street cred”

CB
Professor Principal
9.1.5  CB  replied to  livefreeordie @9.1.3    5 years ago

Why are quoting what slave holders have to say about liberty to me?  They were hypocrites. Pretenders.

As for Mr. Edward Abbey, surely he was not referring to stirring up an insurrection against the rule of law! Such an activity is unconstitutional on its face! Moreover, the civil war between the states from 1861 - 1865 was not about liberty either. Thus, it was a southern-state insurrection!!

You should really stop exploiting dead slave holders and other writers for your own advantage.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
9.1.6  livefreeordie  replied to  CB @9.1.5    5 years ago

Of those I quoted, only Jefferson was a slaveholder. Even with that sin, he was one of the greatest Americans in our history

one that I quoted was the father of the modern green movement 

again I request that you stop lying about me.

I have NEVER called for an insurrection against the government. Defending your life and liberty from an attack by government is not an act of insurrection. Neither is the call to either dissolve the union or to secede.defense against tyranny is the right of ALL free people.  

CB
Professor Principal
9.1.7  CB  replied to  livefreeordie @9.1.6    5 years ago

Alexander Hamilton was 'conflicted' over slavery. Still, Hamilton was no friend of slaves. Moreover, he deliberately married into a slave holding family. Guilty of association and inaction to end slavery.

Even my foot! You can't clean up Jefferson, a big hypocrite slaver, so easily. Would that a slave could have put him to work on the plantation! Then, he would have known the meaning of wanting liberty he denied others. Thomas Jefferson was a fraud! Even his NT bible cries out fraud!

I don't have to tell untruth about you. I can produce your own words. You are not of a defender of your freedom because no one here or anywhere else in the country is seeking to take your individual freedoms away. It is a delusion you harbor against people (outcasts really) whom you do not like, wish ill-will, and worse should they get in your way!

Therefore, it is you that expressed a desire and listed offensive actions you and your millions have prepared to disallow the function of this nation's Rule of Law in due course.

Don't try to spin your way out of it.