╌>

Justin Amash on what his GOP colleagues say privately

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  5 years ago  •  8 comments

Justin Amash on what his GOP colleagues say privately
Its what the president does it what he says, that's not how people are supposed to talk.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Former Republican Rep. Justin Amash (I-MI) tells CNN's Jake Tapper what high-level Republican officials have told him about President Trump behind closed doors

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

Justin Amash (/əˈmɑːʃ/; born April 18, 1980) is an American lawyer and politician serving as the U.S. Representative for Michigan's 3rd congressional district since 2011. His district is based in Grand Rapids and includes most of its suburbs and Battle Creek. It includes much of the territory represented by former President Gerald Ford. Originally a member of the Republican Party, he announced on July 4, 2019, that he was leaving the GOP to become an independent.

While opposition to Trump within the Republican party is growing, IIRC Amash is the first Republican congress-person to leave the Party over Trump's nuttiness.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Krishna @1    5 years ago

Growing?   It's always been there.   How quickly some forget the 2016 campaign.

Unfortunately for them, their constituencies largely felt differently.   Enough so that Trump got elected.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

There's is some speculation that Amash may run for president as an independent, splitting the Republican vote.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Krishna @2    5 years ago

What nuttiness? His administration has been winning one battle after another.

Any Republican politician who wants to survive is jumping on the Trump Train.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1    5 years ago
What nuttiness? His administration has been winning one battle after another.

The "Left" wouldn't know that, as it doesn't get reported on the likes of MSNBC,NBC,ABC,CNN, etc.....

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.2  Ronin2  replied to  Krishna @2    5 years ago

Amash will not split the Republican vote. I am from the district right next to his. (I used to be in his district; but you know gerrymandering). 

The Republican Party can't stand Amash. They have given him a strong primary opponent each reelection bid. While Amash had (definitely past tense) a strong following in his district; it has waned severely after he came out in favor of impeachment of Trump. He may have lost the last of it when he left the Republican Party, and resigned from all of the committees. What is he going to do caucus with the Democrats? In his district that is political suicide.

Amash is just the newest bauble the left leaning media has latched onto. Before this how many people outside of his district even knew anything about him. Which leaves running for POTUS as an independent out. He won't draw enough votes from Trump to do anything.

Oh, and Amash left the Republican Party over more than just Trump. He is not enamored with the amount of partisanship in either party.

In June, Amash quit the conservative   House Freedom Caucus , of which he was a founding member.

Amash did not say whether he would caucus with Democrats or Republicans, and he did not declare an affiliation with any other party.

He ended his op-ed with a call for others to join him in rejecting partisan loyalties.

"I'm asking you to believe that we can do better than this two-party system — and to work toward it," he wrote. "If we continue to take America for granted, we will lose it."

TTGA
Professor Silent
2.2.1  TTGA  replied to  Ronin2 @2.2    5 years ago
While Amash had (definitely past tense) a strong following in his district; it has waned severely after he came out in favor of impeachment of Trump. He may have lost the last of it when he left the Republican Party, and resigned from all of the committees. What is he going to do caucus with the Democrats? In his district that is political suicide.

That told it all.  Had no idea you were so close Ronin.  I am in his district (southern Ionia County) and the chance of it going to anyone but a Republican is zero.  The Democrats from the piece of Grand Rapids in that district can't offset the strong Republican majorities in the rural counties that make up most of it. There have been strong doubts about Amash around here for some time but, since he was a Republican, he got the benefit of the doubt.  After this nonsense, though, he's toast.  Can't be sure, but I suspect that either Julie Calley (State Rep at present) or her husband (former Lt. Governor Brian Calley) could be the next pick.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
3  luther28    5 years ago

Former Republican Rep. Justin Amash (I-MI) tells CNN's Jake Tapper what high-level Republican officials have told him about President Trump behind closed doors

They have all had something to say long before and after Mr. Trump was elected, which any sissy can do. They could win my respect if they would opine about it publicly, but that would require gumption so I will not hold my breath. Case in point one Paul Ryan who all of a sudden has quite a bit to say after the fact.