╌>

Tennessee governor declares day (July 13) honoring Confederate general and early Ku Klux Klan leader

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  36 comments

Tennessee governor declares day  (July 13) honoring Confederate general and early Ku Klux Klan leader
"I signed the bill because the law requires that I do that and I haven't looked at changing that law," Lee said Thursday.  According to The Tennessean, Lee declined to say if he thought the state law should be changed — something Tennessee Democrats have been hoping would happen. Previous efforts by Democrats have failed

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee signed a proclamation declaring July 13 Nathan Bedford Forrest Day. Forrest was a Confederate general, slave trader and an early leader of the Ku Klux Klan. 

A Tennessee law dating back to 1971 mandates that the governor must issue proclamations for six state holidays each year, including days for Nathan Bedford Forrest and Robert E. Lee,  CBS Nashville affiliate WTVF  reported. 

According to the Tennessee code, the governor must declare January 19 as "Robert E. Lee Day"; February 12 as "Abraham Lincoln Day"; March 15 as "Andrew Jackson Day"; June 3 as "Memorial or Confederate Decoration Day"; July 13 as "Nathan Bedford Forrest Day"; and November 11, as "Veterans' Day."

"I signed the bill because the law requires that I do that and I haven't looked at changing that law," Lee said Thursday.  

According to  The Tennessean , Lee declined to say if he thought the state law should be changed — something Tennessee Democrats have been hoping would happen. Previous efforts by Democrats have failed.  

"This a reminder of the painful and hurtful crimes that were committed against black people," Rep. Vincent Dixie of Nashville told WTVF.

Dixie said he was previously unaware July 13 was Nathan Bedford Forrest Day in Tennessee and criticized Lee's decision to sign the proclamation.

"Now you're signing a proclamation honoring the same people that fought to keep people that look like me, African Americans in slavery," Dixie said.

There is a bust of Forrest in the state capitol and there is a highly-visible statue of him on Interstate 65. There have been calls to remove the bust. The statue, which is on private property, is frequently defaced. 

------------------

William Byron Lee is an American businessman and politician serving as the 50th governor of Tennessee since 2019. Elected in 2018, Lee campaigned as a business-oriented Republican. Before entering politics, he held various positions at the Lee Company, an inherited family business; he was the company's president and CEO from 1992 to 2016.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Lee_(Tennessee_politician)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago
"I signed the bill because the law requires that I do that"

means

"I signed the bill because my political affiliation requires that I do that"

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Why would one of the UNITED States proclaim a "day" honoring a confederate general?  Did Tennessee conservatives threaten to secede from the state if it didnt? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Next thing we will see is someone saying Nathan Bedford Forrest was a Democrat. 

Who wants to see this "day" honoring him ended?  The Democrats do. The Republicans don't.  Hmmm. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.2  MrFrost  replied to  JohnRussell @3    5 years ago

They are just mad because they lost the civil war. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.2.2  MrFrost  replied to  XDm9mm @3.2.1    5 years ago

Gov. Bill Lee is dead? 

JBB
Professor Principal
4  JBB    5 years ago

This is how the Gumps honor their no good racist halfwit forebear. Who knew?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @4    5 years ago
This is how the Gumps honor their no good racist halfwit forebear. Who knew?

I will pretend that you don't know that Democrats passed that law forcing the governor to sign the proclamation. That is the only way I can square your unrighteous indignation over it NOW.

I AM a little curious why nobody ever uttered a peep when a Democratic governor did the same exact thing.

The faux poutrage is getting very, very old.

Find something real to care about.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
5  igknorantzrulz    5 years ago

Another Trumpp victory ,

i guess.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  Texan1211  replied to  igknorantzrulz @5    5 years ago
Another Trumpp victory ,

Oh, FFS.

WTF does Trump have to do with a fucking Democratic-passed law in Tennessee?

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
5.1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1    5 years ago

Trumpp has to do with a mindset.

Him accepting, and not calling out certain things, or glossing over them, instead of taking the bull by the horns and denouncing racist views, has opened the door for many to feel it is now OK to display their own racist view points.

For Fux Sake,

Prove me Wrong

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  igknorantzrulz @5.1.1    5 years ago
Trumpp has to do with a mindset.
Him accepting, and not calling out certain things, or glossing over them, instead of taking the bull by the horns and denouncing racist views, has opened the door for many to feel it is now OK to display their own racist view points.
For Fux Sake,
Prove me Wrong

Why the faux-poutrage?

Did you even KNOW of this Tennessean law before now?

If you did, where was your outrage when it was passed by a Democratic-majority state Legislature, where was it when other Governors--both Republican and Democratic signed the exact same thing according to law?

This doesn't have a freaking thing to do with Trump, except for a flare-up of TDS on your part.

The faux-poutrage IS rather impressive, though. So passionate, too!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.3    5 years ago
Did you even KNOW of this Tennessean law before now?

Are you under the delusion that the above comment is actually relevant? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.4    5 years ago

I am under no delusion when it comes to a side completely ignoring something for a long time, then bitching about it like it is relevant.

The faux-poutrage is funny though!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.6  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.5    5 years ago

Tex, things are relevant because they are relevant, not because one side or the other is bitching about them or not bitching about them. 

Because the great majority of your comments are nothing but "commentary" on other peoples comments it is probably natural that you think reactions are more relevant than actions. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

It doesn't matter who created the bill or when, or if the governor of the state is Republican or Democrat or Independent. No where in the United States should there be a "day" honoring Nathan Bedford Forrest. 

This is exactly why some people of color feel enraged toward American governments and institutions. 

Just end the fricking day celebrating a racist traitor who helped start the KKK terrorist group.  Just end it. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7  Bob Nelson    5 years ago

I'd post a picture of a lynching victim... but that's forbidden.

It's OK to show ISIS beheadings... but not to show American lynching...

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8  Paula Bartholomew    5 years ago

It is TN...nuff said.

PJ
Masters Quiet
9  PJ    5 years ago

I think posters are approaching this wrong.  You are not going to get racists to admit that they are racists or to admit that their fellow racists shouldn't be honored.   You cannot shame a racist. 

If the law requires the proclamation be signed then why not launch a campaign to highlight the actions of the person being honored and how those actions impacted history.