╌>

Power returning to major sections of Manhattan after outage

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  30 comments

Power returning to major sections of Manhattan after outage
A city official said power should be fully restored by midnight.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1  Tacos!    5 years ago

So much hysteria!

When an ordinary thing happens in New York City, it's suddenly worthy of national obsession and worry, with live media coverage throughout because we just can't believe a building could go dark. 

This might come as a shock to New Yorkers, but power goes out all over the country every day and it's not a crisis. Whole towns in Southern California and Louisiana lose power from earthquake and hurricane respectively but you don't see reporters dancing around in the street acting like God has left the universe because the lights won't come on.

And those are actually catastrophe-related power outages. Even on a regular day, transformers explode just because transformers do that and it happens all over the country. No news coverage. But part of NYC goes dark and it's historic.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tacos! @1    5 years ago

It happened on the anniversary of the massive black out of the 70's. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1    5 years ago

That blackout covered the whole north-eastern USA and eastern Canada as well.  I remember it affecting Toronto.  It was first blamed on Canada (as the South Park Boys say: "Blame Canada") but was discovered to be a blown up power station facility in the USA. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.1    5 years ago

There was also an increase in births nine months later due to nothing to do but have sex.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1.2    5 years ago

LOL. Yes, now that you remind me of that I think I recall it as well.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

So? Is the crisis over yet?  

The reason for the panic is the reliance on electricity.  There was a time when people survived without it.  Some of my most peaceful, recuperative times were spent at a vintage farmhouse in a remote area of Ontario with neither running water nor electricity.  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.1  Tacos!  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    5 years ago

I actually kind of miss the days when the power would go out every time we had a storm.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tacos! @3.1    5 years ago

Yeah, if it happened at night we always had candles to light, kind of making us feel like what it was like living in the past - a change of pace.  The lightning flashing through the windows was far more noticeable and effective than if your lights were working.  I grew up enjoying thunderstorms - never feared them. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tacos! @3.1    5 years ago

I love a good storm and if power goes out, I have ways to get by.  I don't open the fridge so that what cold is in there, stays in there.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1.2    5 years ago

Same.  Our main problem is water, since we're on a well.  When there's a bad storm coming, I scrub and fill the bathtub with water.  I have a gas stove, so I can cook, if needed, and a gas fireplace that will keep the house warm enough.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.3    5 years ago

Have you ever considered having rain barrels?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1.4    5 years ago

I've considered it, but our power has never been out for more than 8 hours, so I've never bothered.  I think there's only been one time that we had to dip water out of the tub to flush toilets.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.5    5 years ago

The water in barrels can be used to water your plants, fill a kiddie pool, and other things.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.2  katrix  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    5 years ago

When you live or work in a skyscraper - not having an elevator is a problem!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  katrix @3.2    5 years ago

Yes, I'll bet.  A real problem in the event of a medical emergency or a fire.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.2.2  katrix  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.1    5 years ago

I live in a semi rural area and some of my neighbors have a different problem. Their road is off a low section of a road next to the river ... and sometimes it floods and they can't even get out. So when the houses were built up there, a clearing for a medevac was put in, just in case.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.2.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  katrix @3.2.2    5 years ago

There are a lot of poultry farms where I live.  Any time the power goes out, the farmers risk losing a lot of chickens due to lack of circulation in their barns.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.2.3    5 years ago

Is a gasoline-powered generator a very expensive item to cover such a risk?  Usually the fuel should outlast a power-outage.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.2.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.4    5 years ago

It would be a moderate expense.  I'd get one that runs on propane, as I have a buried propane tank to fuel my cooking range, furnace, and fireplace.  I've also thought about that, but power outages rarely last long in my area due to the reason I posted above - poultry houses.  Since one poultry house out of power for a day could lead to the loss of $25,000 or so in chickens (or so I've been told), the power company is generally on top of it.

As far as powering the poultry houses - I imagine it would take a pretty big generator.  They run huge fans to keep the temps down and get rid of ammonia.  So I figure it would be a pretty big expense for a poultry farmer, to cover something that doesn't happen very often.  Easier to put pressure on the power company.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.2.5    5 years ago

I have no idea how much generators cost, but in the event of a day without power and the loss of $25,000 maybe it's worth it for the security.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.2.8  katrix  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.2.5    5 years ago

I was out for 5 days after the derecho ... and have had a couple of 3-day power outages when we got the tail end of a hurricane. But you're right, they generally don't last long enough to make it worth it.  I do have a small gas generator that I've never used; if we ever have another 3 day outage, I can keep my fridge going. But the cost of a whole-house generator that would power my well isn't worth it. I could lose all the food in my fridge and freezer multiple times before it would pay for itself! Plus, then I'd have to get a propane tank.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.2.9  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.2.3    5 years ago

That is why I like free range chicken farming.  They are out in the open.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.2.10  sandy-2021492  replied to  katrix @3.2.8    5 years ago

Same.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.2.11  katrix  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.2.9    5 years ago
That is why I like free range chicken farming.  They are out in the open.

So do foxes and coyotes!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.2.12  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  katrix @3.2.11    5 years ago

Good point lol.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.2.13  sandy-2021492  replied to  katrix @3.2.8    5 years ago

My parents had no power for a week after the derecho.  Unfortunately, gas was really hard to come by, so a generator wouldn't have helped, unless it ran on something else.  My brother lost power for 2 weeks, but had a diesel generator, so he was ok (except for his roof, which peeled back like a tin can).

That was one scary storm.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.2.14  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.2.13    5 years ago

I know people who keep spare gas just in case of an outage.  That way, it is already on hand when needed.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.2.15  sandy-2021492  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.2.14    5 years ago

A lot of folks there did, too, but after a week or more without power, they'd used the gas they had on hand.  Even local towns were turning off their water pumps, because they had run out of fuel for their backup generators.