╌>

Are you OK with a racist president, Republicans? | Charlotte Observer

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  56 comments

It’s the party where locking legal migrants in crowded, unhealthy cages is acceptable immigration policy. It’s the party where it’s OK to say racist things so long as the next jobs report is encouraging.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

JULY 15, 2019

EDITORIAL

President Donald Trump celebrated "the greatest political journey in human history" Thursday in a Fourth of July commemoration before a soggy, cheering crowd of spectators, many of them invited, on the grounds of the Lincoln Memorial. By

We’re not big believers in public officials being responsible for all the bad things other public officials say or do. It’s become a too-common political weapon to ask lawmakers to condemn members of their own party, even for behavior that’s not representative of anything more than one person’s poor decision. But sometimes that behavior is so troubling that our leaders need to stand up and say something.

So it was Sunday when President Donald Trump  tweeted a bigoted attack on four Democratic Congresswomen of color , telling Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts and Rashida Tlaib of Michigan to “go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came.” This despite three of the four women being born in the United States, and the other, Omar, being a U.S. citizen.

“Go back where you came from” is among the worst of racist tropes. It divides us by ethnicity and skin color. It says that even if someone is a citizen or legal immigrant, they are not part of the rest of us. That runs contrary to who we should be as Americans, and if Donald Trump didn’t know it when he typed the words, he surely did later when people responded with appropriate outrage. But the same president who referred to African and Haitian nations as  “shithole countries”  and said African visitors would never  “go back to their huts”  once again  doubled down on his racism .

It’s dangerous, destructive behavior, and at the least every Republican lawmaker in Congress should declare as much about their president’s outburst. That includes North Carolina’s most senior leaders, Sens. Richard Burr and Thom Tillis. We know this isn’t easy politically, especially for Tillis, who is running for reelection and faces a Republican primary challenger in a race to see who can embrace the president more fully. Tillis, of course, has a history of  comically wavering on Trump  — standing up then backing down on issues that include the Mueller investigation and the president’s declaration of a national emergency at the southern border.

North Carolina’s lawmakers, however, are far from the only Republicans to struggle with Trump’s troubling tendencies. A handful have dared to step forward and criticize the president, only to equivocate when everyone else takes a step back. Most have instead decided that any criticism of Trump — be it for policy or problematic behavior — is not worth the heat that follows.

The result is that the Republican Party is firmly Donald Trump’s party now. It’s the party where insults and other ugliness are just being “rough around the edges.” It’s the party where locking legal migrants in crowded, unhealthy cages is acceptable immigration policy. It’s the party where it’s OK to say racist things so long as the next jobs report is encouraging.

If you don’t believe it, listen to the meekness today from Republicans, including those who represent our state. Instead of standing up for who we should be, they’re bowing to the worst of who we are.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago
The result is that the Republican Party is firmly Donald Trump’s party now. It’s the party where insults and other ugliness are just being “rough around the edges.” It’s the party where locking legal migrants in crowded, unhealthy cages is acceptable immigration policy. It’s the party where it’s OK to say racist things so long as the next jobs report is encouraging.

This is likely only the "beginning". There is no low too low for Trump. 

Funny thing is, I wouldnt be surprised if this all doesnt lead Pelosi to ok impeachment. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

The esteemed historian Jon Meacham just said in a television interview that Trump has joined Andrew Johnson as the most racist presidents in American history. 

Isnt that a thing nice for our children to have to grow up with? 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
3.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  JohnRussell @3    5 years ago

He’s known for having a bad case of TDS. 

“Historian Jon Meacham’s analogy is one more example of Trump Derangement Syndrome.”

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3.1    5 years ago

Trump's racism is meaningless to you Dean. We know that. 

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
3.3  livefreeordie  replied to  JohnRussell @3    5 years ago

Esteemed?

Leftist “historian” Meachems has been a shill for the left for several decades. He is and has been a jerk as noted in this blast from the past

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
4  livefreeordie    5 years ago

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
5  Citizen Kane-473667    5 years ago
“go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came.”

Quick question: What cities/States do they come from? 

AOC: 14th Congressional District of New York encompasses part o the Bronx and part of Queens. The Bronx section of New York is one of the poorest neighborhoods. So does she come from the Poor side of the District. or the Richer Queens side? Are those areas High Crime Areas or not?

Ilhan Omar5th District of Minnesota which includes all of Minneapolis and a good portion of its suburbs. Guess what? Only 3% of other cities are LESS safe than Minneapolis !

Ayanna Pressley: Massachusetts's 7th congressional district just happens to be one of the POOREST in the entire nation, but number 1 in teenage births!  

Rashida Tlaib : Michigan's 13th Congressional District also happens to be the POOREST and MOST crime ridden of the entire State. The Detroit crime rate is only 140% of the national average , so I guess that's not too bad. /s

So Yeah, they might want to go back home and start working on fixing what's wrong there....

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @5    5 years ago

50 Most Dangerous Cities In America

Minneapolis is not on the list. 

Neither is Chicago for that matter. 

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
5.1.1  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1    5 years ago
Minneapolis is not on the list.  Neither is Chicago for that matter.

I guess it depends on who you ask...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @5    5 years ago

Trump didnt tell them to go back to their districts, he told them to go back to the countries that they came from. 

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
5.2.1  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  JohnRussell @5.2    5 years ago
he told them to go back to the countries that they came from

That's a lie. You yourself furnished the quoted text of his statement. Try again.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.2.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @5.2.1    5 years ago

Its not a lie. Dont worry, I'm not going to flag you. 

This the text of Trumps two now infamous tweets

So interesting to see “Progressive” Democrat Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world (if they even have a functioning government at all), now loudly and viciously telling the people of the United States, the greatest and most powerful Nation on earth, how our government is to be run. Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came. Then come back and show us how....

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
5.2.3  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  JohnRussell @5.2.2    5 years ago

Flag away. YOU supplied the quoted text, not me. By the way, aren't you combining two separate tweets while cherry picking the meaning? How about if I do that to you:

It’s dangerous...to equivocate

Now don't get me wrong, I know EXACTLY where he was going with this and it had absolutely NOTHING to do with Race; it had to do with the "Non-American" names they bear. Of course it doesn't help when the entire group is supporting illegal immigration and the fact that their last names do happen to coincide with popular surnames from the exact shit-holes they want to import.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.2.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @5.2.3    5 years ago
Flag away. YOU supplied the quoted text, not me. By the way, aren't you combining two separate tweets while cherry picking the meaning? How about if I do that to you:

You probably shouldnt try to assume too much. I doubt if it will work out well for you. 

I copied the two tweets exactly,  in sequence and combined them into one paragraph. There is nothing missing or removed or cherry picked. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.2.5  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @5.2.3    5 years ago
it had to do with the "Non-American" names they bear.

Thats just fucking embarrassing. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.2.6  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @5.2.3    5 years ago

Trump's tweets here are simply a blatant if slightly non-specific echo of his infamous racist birther theme from 2011. Just like Obama was an "other" from elsewhere, so are these four women, who are also "of color".   Trump's just going back to his political roots. 

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
5.2.7  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  JohnRussell @5.2.5    5 years ago
Thats just fucking embarrassing.

What? that the reason for italicizing went right over your head?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.2.8  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @5.2.3    5 years ago

Non American names?  Seriously dude?  What exactly constitute an American name to you?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.9  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @5.2    5 years ago

Yup, he told them to leave the U.S.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.2.10  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.2.8    5 years ago

Also, do you realize that Trump's last name who his father changed was not what you define as an "American" name.

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
5.2.11  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.2.8    5 years ago
What exactly constitute an American name to you?

Running Wolf, Moonflower etc...

Other than those, the rest are all immigrants to the Native Americans, but I'm guessing that isn't the direction you wanted this discussion to go. Unlike you I actually have an Italian last name now (although once it was a German last name) and also unlike Trump, I recognize that American's can have very foreign sounding names despite having both parents and grandparents born here. The whole reason I italicized that portion of the statement was to illustrate his possible assumption based solely upon their names that they were not native to America, even though 3 out of the 4 are. On the other hand, maybe he did know it and was actually directing the majority of his comment to the Somali immigrant but went ahead and threw the other 3 under the same bus just for hits and giggles.

Who knows, besides him, for sure why he chose to act like that...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.2.12  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @5.2.11    5 years ago
I italicized that portion of the statement was to illustrate his possible assumption based solely upon their names that they were not native to America, even though 3 out of the 4 are. On the other hand, maybe he did know it and was actually directing the majority of his comment to the Somali immigrant but went ahead and threw the other 3 under the same bus

Its fun to watch people tie their arguments into knots on Trump's behalf.  Please go on. 

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
5.2.13  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  JohnRussell @5.2.12    5 years ago
Please go on.

With what? Trying to educate the ill-informed? Okay. Got anything else you're unclear on in my statements?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.2.14  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @5.2.11    5 years ago

My grandfather changed his last name also.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Rep. Ilhan Omar Has Been A U.S. Citizen Longer Than Melania Trump

Donald Trump presumably doesn’t question his wife’s right to criticize her adopted country.

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
6.1  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  JohnRussell @6    5 years ago
Rep. Ilhan Omar Has Been A U.S. Citizen Longer Than Melania Trump

So what? I've got them both beat hands down. Does that somehow make ME a better citizen than either of them?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @6.1    5 years ago

Are you related to Trump too? If not, your status is probably not relevant here. 

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
6.1.2  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.1    5 years ago
Are you related to Trump too?

Must be in some form or fashion since I am human after all...

How about you?

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
6.2  livefreeordie  replied to  JohnRussell @6    5 years ago

Omar is an Islamic radical who supports jihadist organizations. She is an anti-Semite who supports the destruction of Israel.

she should be denounced daily until we get her out of Congress 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
6.2.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  livefreeordie @6.2    5 years ago
Omar is an Islamic radical who supports jihadist organizations. She is an anti-Semite who supports the destruction of Israel

That is your opinion based on your interpretation of a handful of things she's said or tweeted.

Based on what I hear many religious conservatives say, it's my opinion many are anti-American bigots who want nothing more than the total annihilation of millions of Americans as they pray for it daily, for their God to come and wipe out those they disagree with, the Muslims, the gays, the atheists. They grin with glee at the thought of murdering women and children simply because they don't share their faith and they let their bitter hate leak into their anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim, anti-human bigoted comments.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
6.2.2  livefreeordie  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @6.2.1    5 years ago

I’ve never met a Christian conservative who holds any such belief

the left are the most hateful, bigoted, America haters in our country

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
6.2.3  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  livefreeordie @6.2.2    5 years ago
the left are the most hateful, bigoted, America haters in our country

I love my country yet I'm pretty sure you'd consider me on the left. So what are you saying about me lfod? Why are you lying about me? Why are you constantly claiming you know what other American citizens think or how they feel about their country?

Very few Americans truly hate our country, and I believe they exist only on the far fringes of the left and the right, antifa on the left, Neo-nazi's and wannabe confederate cock wads on the right. But most Americans want the same things. Safe schools, good jobs, safe streets, freedom, justice and the ability to pursue happiness. If that means being an atheist, wonderful, America should work for you. If it means being a Christian or Muslim, wonderful, but remember, your religion is like a penis, it's fine to have one and you should be proud of it, but don't take it out in public or shove it in any unwilling participants face.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.2.4  FLYNAVY1  replied to  livefreeordie @6.2.2    5 years ago

Really..... Given all of the inhumanity that is going on at the boarder, I've not heard a single Evangelical Christian speak out against the sub-human treatment being dished out there.

Of course its doesn't matter to Christian Conservatives.... "Them at the boarder aren't human beings cause they have brown skin, and worse, they're mostly Catholic." 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.2.5  Sparty On  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.2.4    5 years ago
Really..... Given all of the inhumanity that is going on at the boarder, I've not heard a single Evangelical Christian speak out against the sub-human treatment being dished out there.

Not a surprise.   Its doubtful you frequent the places you would see or hear that.   And please, don't say the mass media.   Most of that is clearly biased against such groups and are hesitant at best to report such stories because of that bias.   One google search reveals:

Here's where you rationalize that isn't speaking out but it appears "that" is all many on the left are good for.   Running their mouths.   They are all talk and no action.   These Christian groups are taking action.   More than can be said for all the hypocrites in congress and many on the left.

Of course its doesn't matter to Christian Conservatives.... "Them at the boarder aren't human beings cause they have brown skin, and worse, they're mostly Catholic.

Untrue sweeping generalization.   That's just misplaced hatred.   You appear to have a bad case of Christophobia.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.2.6  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Sparty On @6.2.5    5 years ago

You appear to have a bad case of Christophobia.

No... I'm allergic to religious hypocrisy and it's constant insult to intelligence.

Untrue sweeping generalization.

Bullshit... It is EXACTLY to the point! The second you can make someone slightly subhuman, the atrocities that they can be subjected to is endless.  The Germans did it to the Jews, and we did it to the Japanese.  We've done it to blacks, and were doing it to Latinos now.  The Christian Right has once again fallen silent, but they keep passing the offertory plate. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.2.7  Sparty On  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.2.6    5 years ago
I'm allergic to ALL hypocrisy

I am as well.   Which is why my comment was ..... exactly spot on.

Bullshit... It is EXACTLY to the point!

Which just shows how far off base it is.   Your comment clearly singles out ALL Christian conservatives.   A more clear example of a sweeping generalization i have never seen.   All of the group you've singled out clearly don't feel that way.   Look no further than my link for proof of that.  

And make no mistake, i won't be the one to report the SG because i feel it's very instructive to leave such bias up for all to see.   Better to evaluate the person who wrote it.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7  Sparty On    5 years ago

Are you OK with a racist president, Republicans?

Don't really consider myself a Rep or Dem but no, i'm not okay with it and since we don't have one, we are all set.

So there you go .....

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
8  Jeremy Retired in NC    5 years ago

Funny how "the squad" were "Somalian", "Palestinian", "Jamaican-Indian" and "Puerto Rican" until President Trump suggested they go back.

Now they are "American"