╌>

A Gift to NT Members From Everyone Loves Movies - Classic to Current

Category:  Entertainment

By:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  5 years ago  •  27 comments

A Gift to NT Members From Everyone Loves Movies - Classic to Current

A Conversation With Gregory Peck (1999) 

https%3A%2F%2Fassets.mubi.com%2Fimages%2

If you are able to open the Chinese web site "bilibili" it is your lucky day, because you will be able to enjoy an absolutely wonderful time watching and listening to "The Conscience of Hollywood", i.e. one of its greatest stars.  Peck sits on a stage alone and answers questions from the audience - is so incredibly gracious. He invites audience members backstage who want something signed by him or a photo standing with him.  There are scenes from his movies, and also clips of him at home and abroad with his wife and family.  Particularly poignant is how he met and ended up with his wife in Paris.

Try to open this.  If you cannot, I'll bet you can find  "A Conversation With Gregory Peck (1999)"  on YouTube.

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av4689258?from=search&seid=15071710909104764775

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  author  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

This is one of many great articles about the movies on the Everyone Loves Movies - Classic to Current Group.  If you are not already a member of the group, then click this link to apply for membership and you may be accepted as a member:

Some info from the video: His favourite movie part was Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird.   

luther28
Sophomore Silent
2  luther28    5 years ago

Some info from the video: His favourite movie part was Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird

It was my favorite Peck portrayal as well, his second best role in my estimation was as Mengele in the Boys From Brazil, a rather chilling performance.

Thank you Buzz.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  luther28 @2    5 years ago

I loved his story about the fact that when Veronique (his wife) was asked to meet with him, she hesitated and then agreed, and unknown to Peck cancelled an interview she was scheduled to do at the same time - an interview with Albert Schweitzer, at the home of Jean Paul Sartre.  She made a good choice - they married and lived together for, was it almost a half a century, until his death.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  author  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Another good bit from the video.  A man from the audience said it was because of the To Kill a Mockingbird movie that he studied law and became a lawyer, but even more - he named his son Atticus.  He had an original movie poster with him and asked Peck if he would sign it, and Peck graciously told him to bring it backstage.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  author  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

My mistake. I should have posted a video by an atheistic progressive homosexual of colour and maybe a lot more members would have been more interested in and sympathetic with what the protagonist had to say. 

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1  JBB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    5 years ago

That is pitiful...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JBB @4.1    5 years ago

Congratulations.  You actually must have some interest in something other than politics and dissing me, because you posted a comment on one of my movie articles - so did you watch the video?  But then look what it took to inspire you.  Pitiful...

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.2  JBB  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.1    5 years ago

NEWSFLASH- Self Pity Repels All That Which You Desire To Attract...

Bemoaning, "Why don't people like me.", never induced an attraction.

Sorry though about your lousy computer...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.4  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JBB @4.1.2    5 years ago

If it could, my computer would thank you for your sympathy.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
4.2  luther28  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    5 years ago

Nah, two lesbians would have attracted a lot more interest ( s just in case ) :)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  luther28 @4.2    5 years ago

I can remember when Ellen Degeneris "came out" - it was a hell of a sensation. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.3  Dulay  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    5 years ago

Way to piss on your own seed Buzz. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.3.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dulay @4.3    5 years ago

Seems like the only way to attract people like you to the cultural seeds/articles I post.

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.3.2  Dulay  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.3.1    5 years ago
Seems like the only way to attract people like you to the cultural seeds/articles I post.

So you're pretending that you're whole purpose is to bring people like me to culture Buzz? 

It's sad to see that you put so much import on how many comments you get on your seeds. I suggested the thumbs up on seeds so that those of us that don't necessarily want to comment, can still show their appreciation of a seed. Before you pissed in here, I intended to give the seed a thumbs up without commenting. 

You've concentrated on making ME the subject of your comments in multiple seeds now. Perhaps a high colonic is in order. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.3.3  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dulay @4.3.2    5 years ago

I have just deleted what I was going to reply because I came to the realization that I cannot expect or demand civility from others if I do not practise it myself.  Therefore I hereby apologize to you for any comments I have made to you that were not civil and offer an olive branch in the hope that our comments directed to each other be civil from now on. It's up to you as to how you wish to respond to that.

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.3.4  Dulay  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.3.3    5 years ago
The seed was posted 4 days ago on the Front Page.

Point? 

I really don't believe you had any intention of even looking at it, and your comment that you were GOING to post a thumbs up is pure bullshit - an "after the fact" comment,

I watched the video the first day it was up. I came back to read the seed and vote it up.

I really could not care less whether you believe me or not. 

Frankly, because you have nothing beneficial, or even civil, to say to me,

As I said, you get what you give. 

I'd appreciate it if you would just not bother - put me on "ignore".

Still searching for the ignore button Buzz? 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.3.5  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dulay @4.3.4    5 years ago

Because my decades-old computer just died yesterday, and I am using a very sick XP laptop given to me by a student about 12 years ago I am having a lot of trouble using it as it freezes all the time and makes me start back at the beginning. While you were posting your last comment I was trying hard to amend my comment to say as follows:

I have come to realize that I cannot expect civility from others if I don't practise it myself, and therefore I apologize to you for all the bad comments I have been making to you.  I offer you an olive branch in the hope that we can address each other civilly from this point on.  It is up to you as to how you wish to respond to this.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.3.6  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.3.5    5 years ago

LOL.  Now I see that the comment I wanted to amend finally registered.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.3.7  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.3.6    5 years ago

Okay, I'll assume that because you were so quick to reply to my penultimate comment, and now have not responded to my reply, that I must have made a mistake in what I just did.  

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.3.8  Dulay  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.3.7    5 years ago

My wife works until late and I like to make her a drink and have it ready when she comes home. Last night I folded cloths and put dishes away too. I hope that is a sufficient explanation of why I didn't immediately reply to your post. 

As for your olive branch. Accepted. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.3.9  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dulay @4.3.8    5 years ago

Thank you  Dulay.

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.3.10  Dulay  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.3.9    5 years ago

You are more than welcome Buzz. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.4  dave-2693993  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    5 years ago

The I don't think I would suggest that...

I love his wife's name. Veronique. As Julia and the girls say, Paris wasn't built in a day.

The vid keeps restarting on me a few minutes in, so I might need to try youtube.

If you don't mind the comparison, reminds me of impromptu meetings I would have with a once prominent drag racer during some of my experimental sportsman years on an annual basis at Maple Grove Raceway Park.

John Force.

He was a guy who was on top of his game for a long time. He would tend to park his car in the staging lanes when the sportsman guys were running. He was perennial Top Fuel Funny Car champion for many years...decades...

I prepared engines and chassis/clutch setup on this one car in those years.

As soon as our car made it's run and I watched it go down the track I would walk back up the staging lanes on the way to the lemonade stand run by some pretty Amish girls, then on to the our pits to correct the things I saw our car doing on it's last run.

About a third the way up the staging lanes is John Force alone with his car, the body propped up as the funny cars do. He's watching people go by, then out of the blue, hey buddy, whathca doing?  How's the car running? How did it launch? How was it running down track....Chatted for a bit. Gave proper greetings/salutations, etc. Then yold him I needed to get back to the pits and get the car turned around for the next qualifying run.

Of, course I needed time for lemonade too. They knew me by sight. "Two large, no sugar on ice right"? Right. Best lemonade I ever had. Life saver in that heat.

John spotted and caught me every year there for the years we ran that series. He wasn't all full of himself. He wanted to know first hand what the sportman guys were doing and would not preach or pontificate.

What I have seen of this video reminds me of those experiences.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

Some actually thought Peck's style was too stiff. I thought it was admirable. I know Iv'e said it before, but I liked him in just about every role he played. He was very good as Captain Ahab. "Moby Dick" or "The Whale" was one of the most important Novels in American literature. The common interpretation of Ahab seeking revenge is very controversial. More likely it is a story of blasphemy!  I could draw a modern interpretation: The whale represents religion or God and Ahab represents modern secularists. Either way, Peck was Ahab in a way that would make Melville proud!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @5    5 years ago

Yeah, I can see him being criticized for being stiff in a lot of his movies, but not in Duel in the Sun and he was a riot in the Cape Fear remake.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1    5 years ago

Lol, ya I forgot all about the Cape Fear remake!  I kind of think the remake rivaled the original...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @5    5 years ago

Were you aware that Eldred is Gregory Peck's first name? Eldred Gregory Peck (and he HATED the name - LOL)