╌>

Ilhan Omar Happened Because Media Chose to Lie to You

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  badfish-hd-h-u  •  5 years ago  •  70 comments

Ilhan Omar Happened Because Media Chose to Lie to You

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Three years ago, most American newsrooms picked Ilhan Omar -- despite her crawling Jew-hatred and evidence of an extensive criminal past -- to be the transcendent face America needed to fight bigotry and federal corruption. Reporters apparently chose to lie about Omar to help birth a more trusting country.

Perfectly irrational idiocy. Legacy newsmedia, decayed, perhaps brought itself final ruin by getting exactly what it wanted.

The first Somali-born woman and the first female Muslim to be elected to a U.S. statehouse, Ilhan Omar defeated 44-year incumbent Phyllis Kahn in the Democrat-Farmer-Labor primary for Minnesota House District 60B in 2016. A former child refugee from civil war, Omar was perceived as a best-case image for shepherding progressive causes against President Trump. Ilhan Omar’s individual character, however, was openly trending towards worst-case.

She had written anti-Semitic statements indistinguishable from the Protocols of the Elders of Zion . She had disturbing associations with Islamic terror-tied groups. Sources within the Minneapolis Somali community presented evidence, including a video , of the “East Africa Team” members of Ilhan Omar’s campaign openly threatening local Somalis who may have released negative information about her .

Then came the harder evidence of corruption: Publicly available state records , viewed along with her own confirmed, time-stamped social media posts , suggested a breathtaking spree of state and federal felonies.

The social media posts, visible to anyone who cared to investigate, were rapidly being deleted from Omar’s confirmed accounts.

Best-case image, worst-case character: Would legacy outlets publish the facts, then chase more? While self-righteously condemning Trump’s “fake news” jab, would editorial decision-makers see an illusory greater good in faking it?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    5 years ago
The Board’s findings included a presumably career-ending admission for Omar: For at least two years, 2014 and 2015, she jointly filed her income taxes with a man who was not her husband.

LOL, by conservative Trumpian standards she is presidential material.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1  JBB  replied to  JohnRussell @2    5 years ago

By the standard Ilhan is being held to rightwing hypocrites are Islamaphobes...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JBB @2.1    5 years ago

Ah, did you learn to use that word as a weapon from Congresswoman Tlieb, or is it your own sword to kill valid criticism, as you have done before.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.2  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @2    5 years ago

When the left can't refute facts they scream "Trrrummmmpppppp!!!!!!!"; and declare victory.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Ronin2 @2.2    5 years ago

I didnt even look at the facts.  After the mountains of egregious ethical offenses by Trump, with no repercussions to him, she could shoot someone in the middle of downtown Minneapolis and no one would care. 

Own it Trumpers

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.2.2  arkpdx  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.1    5 years ago
I didnt even look at the facts. 

Not surprised.. Not looking at facts is SOP  for you.

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
2.2.3  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.1    5 years ago
I didnt even look at the facts.

Glad to see some things never change...like your honesty.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.3  Ozzwald  replied to  JohnRussell @2    5 years ago

By conservative Trumpian standards she should apply for sainthood.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.4  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2    5 years ago

jrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gif

jrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gif

Kudos. It only took four words into your first post to try to change the subject to Trump.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.4.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @2.4    5 years ago

I am concerned if she might be anti-semitic.

Trying to hit her with a corruption charge is absurd when the GOP doesnt care about corruption. Their leader/god is as corrupt as they come. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.4.2  arkpdx  replied to  JohnRussell @2.4.1    5 years ago

There is no "might be" about it! She is about as anti-Semitic as they come. 

JBB
Professor Principal
2.4.3  JBB  replied to  arkpdx @2.4.2    5 years ago

No, but that comment is about as dumb as they come. Ever hear of Nazis?

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.4.4  arkpdx  replied to  JBB @2.4.3    5 years ago

Yes I have and I do know they aren't the only ones that are anti-Semitic.  She is at least as bad as they are. 

JBB
Professor Principal
2.4.5  JBB  replied to  arkpdx @2.4.4    5 years ago

When did Congresswoman Omar commit a genocide on 6 million Jews?

Why don't you tell us exactly what Ilhan Omar did or said to deserve that?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.4.6  Vic Eldred  replied to  arkpdx @2.4.4    5 years ago

WORSE!  She is also anti-American! She shares the beliefs of a lot of fanatics who hate both Israel and the US. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.4.7  Ozzwald  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.4.6    5 years ago
WORSE!  She is also anti-American!

Advocating for her to lose her citizenship and be deported is also anti-American since those actions would be against the Constitution.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.4.8  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ozzwald @2.4.7    5 years ago
Advocating for her to lose her citizenship and be deported is also anti-American since those actions would be against the Constitution.

Provided she gained her citizenship legally. There is that nasty little story from the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Oh you haven't heard?

According to the  Minneapolis Star-Tribune :

"New investigative documents released by a state agency have given fresh life to lingering questions about the marital history of Rep. Ilhan Omar and whether she once married a man — possibly her own brother — to skirt immigration laws.

Omar has denied the allegations in the past, dismissing them as “baseless rumors” first raised in an online Somali politics forum and championed by conservative bloggers during her 2016 campaign for the Minnesota House. But she said little then or since about Ahmed Nur Said Elmi, the former husband who swept into her life in 2009 before a 2011 separation.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.4.9  Ozzwald  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.4.8    5 years ago
Oh you haven't heard?

Birtherism 2.0?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.4.10  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ozzwald @2.4.9    5 years ago

She's already been elected into office. There is a difference.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.4.11  Ozzwald  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.4.10    5 years ago

She's already been elected into office. There is a difference.

Obama had already been elected into office also, that didn't stop birtherism 1.0.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.4.12  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ozzwald @2.4.11    5 years ago

The birther argument was made while he was a candidate. The issue had been raised over other candidates as well, not just the black guy! We all know the haters like screaming "birtherism". As I told you before, political parties should verify candidates as soon as they announce they intend to run. Then there is no problem, is there?

This issue is different. It's about vetting people from places like Somalia looking to become citizens. We all know how badly people want to gain citizenship.  What are you afraid of?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.4.13  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.4.12    5 years ago

Donald Trump promoted birtherism about Barack Obama in 2011, after the state of Hawaii had TWICE officially announced that Obama's original birth certificate had been examined in the state archives by state of Hawaii officials. 

Vic, is Trump a moron or a scumbag? All he had to do, if he was actually interested in the facts in 2011, was call the governor's office of the state of Hawaii and ask them (perhaps the governor would have taken Trump's call personally) about the birth certificate. The state of Hawaii was willingly responding to inquiries at that time.  He could have had the whole thing cleared up for himself in 5 minutes. 

For some odd reason he chose to take the racist route and start a birther crusade.  Do you wonder why? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.4.14  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.4.12    5 years ago
Then there is no problem, is there?

The problem is the attitude of people who pretend this was not racist. 

JBB
Professor Principal
2.4.16  JBB  replied to  arkpdx @2.4.4    5 years ago

So, I see that you still cannot come up with one thing Ilhan Omar ever did or even said to really deserve you're lameass unjustified unfair assessment that US Congresswoman Ilhan Omar is an antisemite of historic proportion on par or exceeding Adolph Hitler and the goddamn Nazis.

None of you have. Proving? That the demoniztion, dehumanization and public degradation US Congresswoman Ilhan Omar is suffering today by the hands and words of Donald Trump and the damn gop is neithe earned or deserved! Butt rather, just more intolerand dumbass Trumpian reichtwing xenophobic racism on parade...carrying Tiki Torches! Keep it up! You GUYS are losing...

JBB
Professor Principal
2.4.18  JBB  replied to    5 years ago

The damn gop is losing the voters and winners are chosen by the voters...

Also, I must now note, again, you had no answers for the queries I posed.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.4.19  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.4.13    5 years ago
Donald Trump promoted birtherism about Barack Obama in 2011, after the state of Hawaii had TWICE officially announced that Obama's original birth certificate had been examined in the state archives by state of Hawaii officials. 

Again John, the birther argument was made while he was a candidate. PLEASE READ:

" That theory first emerged in the spring of 2008, as Clinton supporters circulated an anonymous email questioning Obama’s citizenship.

“Barack Obama’s mother was living in Kenya with his Arab-African father late in her pregnancy. She was not allowed to travel by plane then, so Barack Obama was born there and his mother then took him to Hawaii to register his birth,” asserted one chain email that surfaced on the urban legend site Snopes.com in April 2008.

You are always looking to re-litigate this issue.  Who gives a fuck. Other candidates went through it and they were white so don't give me the racist BS!

For some odd reason he chose to take the racist route and start a birther crusade.  

Wrong again!  He neither started it nor was it racist!  Those who started it were the same ones who started the Russia hoax. The same ones who created the greatest political machine in American history and got away with everything!

Ender
Professor Principal
2.4.20  Ender  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.4.19    5 years ago

Other candidates went through it? Which ones?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.4.21  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.4.19    5 years ago

Vic, the rules of Newstalkers require me to be kind to you. Otherwise I wouldnt be. 

The birther movement was a Republican creation. Hillary Clinton never suggested that Obama wasnt born in America. Donald Trump did. Hillary Clinton never demanded to see Obama's birth certificate , Donald Trump did.  By the time Trump got involved in 2011, the state of Hawaii had by then TWICE officially announced that Obama's birth certificate had been personally inspected in the Dept. of Health archives by state officials. The question of Obama's birth certificate was over before Trump got involved. Trump got involved anyway, because he courted conservative racists to become his political base. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.4.22  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ender @2.4.20    5 years ago

Most recently Trump questioned Sen Ted Cruz on the same issue. My, how they forget or do they only feel it when it happens to their beloved Obama?

"Here’s a look at five other birthplace controversies, going back to the original birther debate in 1880.

Chester Alan Arthur

In 1880, Arthur ran as the vice presidential candidate on the James Garfield ticket for the Republican Party. Arthur became President after Garfield’s death in 1881 and there were rumors – spread by campaign rivals -  that Arthur had been born in Canada, and not Vermont, as he claimed.

Arthur’s father was born in Ireland and his mother was born in the United States. If Arthur was born in Canada, his opponents claimed, there was a citizenship issue.

Marquette Law professor J. Gordon Hylton   pointed out in a 2009 blog post  that if Arthur was born in Canada “he was technically foreign-born, and in 1829, citizenship in such cases passed to the child only if the father was a United States citizen, and, of course, at this point Arthur’s father was still a citizen of the British Empire.”

Charles Evans Hughes

There was also a birthplace controversy over the 1916 presidential candidacy of Charles Evans Hughes, the Republican who narrowly lost to Woodrow Wilson.

There were claims that Hughes was ineligible for office because his father was born in the British Empire in Wales. Hughes was born in Glen Falls, New York, and his mother was also born in New York state; he was also born before the 14 th   Amendment was ratified. An attorney, Breckinridge Long, apparently challenged Hughes’ qualifications in a 1916 Chicago Legal News article.

Barry Goldwater

The 1964 Republican presidential candidate was born in the Arizona Territory in 1909 before Arizona was admitted as a state. Goldwater was born in an organized incorporated territory that was formed in 1863, an act that is interpreted to grant U.S. citizenship to folks born there.

For more on the citizenship distinction between incorporated and unincorporated territories, see the recent news coverage   about the efforts of American Samoa residents   to become full American citizens.

George Romney

As a candidate for the 1968 presidency, Romney faced questions because he was born in Chihuahua, Mexico in 1907 at a Mormon colony. His parents were born in the Utah Territory before Utah became a state, and they were American citizens. Romney’s parents chose United States citizenship for their son. The Romneys left Mexico when George Romney was very young, due to the Mexican Revolution.

Democrats questioned Romney’s ability to run for President in 1967 when congressman Emmanuel Celler, a Democrat, publicly expressed “serious doubts” about Romney’s eligibility. A New York Law Journal article   later sided with Romney , who insisted he was a natural-born citizen.

John McCain

Senator McCain faced questions in the 2008 election, since he was born in the Panama Canal Zone in 1936. His parents were born in Iowa and Oklahoma. McCain’s father was a Navy admiral.

In addition to having two parents who were American citizens, McCain was born in a region that was under the control of a United States treaty agreement, which was considered as a sovereign United States territory.

In 2008, Tribe and Theodore Olsen, another well-known legal expert,   wrote in a law journal article that “the circumstances of Senator McCain’s birth satisfy the original meaning and intent of the Natural Born Citizen Clause, as confirmed by subsequent legal precedent and historical practice.”

Still, there was on-going talk during the McCain campaign on the Internet that the Senator wasn’t eligible for the White House, which led to several unsuccessful lawsuits. The Senate passed a nonbinding resolution declaring McCain as eligible to be President.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.4.23  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.4.21    5 years ago

It began via the Clinton campaign and I even took the time to give you a link.  Talk about being kind?

I should get teacher's pay!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.4.24  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.4.23    5 years ago

It did not begin with the Clinton campaign. A low level Clinton staffer forwarded an email that did not originate with the campaign. The Clinton campaign never used the information in that email in any way. Hillary Clinton never questioned Obamas birth like Trump did. 

The Republicans and right wing conspiracy freaks kept the birther issue alive for years. Trump joined in in 2011. 

Only racists defend birtherism Vic. 

You need to be very careful. 

Obama was president of the United States when Trump demanded to see Obamas "papers", he wasnt a candidate. And the issue had already been settled by the state of Hawaii, publicly.

Now is Trump a liar or a scumbag? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.4.25  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.4.23    5 years ago

Donald Trump has written a letter complaining about me.

New York Times (Online), New York: New York Times Company. Apr 8, 2011.

Gail Collins

“Her storytelling ability and word usage (coming from me, who has written many best sellers), is not at a very high level,” he penned.

Although Trump and I have had our differences in the past, I never felt it was personal. In fact, until now, I have refrained from noting that I once got an aggrieved message from him in which he misspelled the word “too.”

But about the letter. Mainly, it’s a list of alleged evidence that Barack Obama was not born in the United States. Trump has made this the centerpiece of his faux presidential campaign, falling further and further into the land of the lunatic fringe. I find this a disturbing spectacle — a little like seeing a guy you know from the neighborhood suddenly turn up in the middle of Times Square with his face painted blue and yelling about space aliens.

“Bill Ayers wrote ‘Dreams From My Father,’ I have no doubt about it,” Trump told Joe Scarborough, who reported on Politico.com.

Ayers is the former ’60s radical who became a huge Republican talking point in 2008 because he had once given a house party for Obama when he was running for State Senate. It’s a pretty big jump from coffee and cookies to writing an entire book, but I guess that’s what neighbors are for.

“That first book was total genius and helped get him elected,” Trump continued. “But you can tell Obama did the second book himself because it read like it was written by somebody of average intelligence with a high school education.”

Did I mention that, in his letter, Trump complained about my calling him a “birther” because the word was “very derogatory and meant in a derogatory way”? Obama, of course, graduated from Columbia University and Harvard Law School — if you can believe Columbia and Harvard Law.

“Three weeks ago I thought he was born in this country. Right now I have some real doubts. I have people that actually have been studying it, and they cannot believe what they’re finding,” Trump announced on “Today.”

Trump does not actually seem to have people studying, or even Googling. Still, he sounds very self-assured. This is because before he was a reality-show host, he was in the New York real estate business, a profession in which it is vital to be able to say imaginary things with total certainty. (“I have five other people who are begging me to sell them this property. Begging.”)

Let’s run over some of his arguments:

THE GRANDMOTHER STORY “His grandmother in Kenya stated, on tape, that he was born in Kenya and she was there to watch the birth,” Trump wrote. This goes back to a trans-Atlantic telephone call that was made in 2008 by Ron McRae, an Anabaptist bishop and birther, to Sarah Obama, the president’s 86-year-old stepgrandmother. He asked her, through an interpreter, whether she was “present when he was born in Kenya.”  The translator responded: “She says, yes, she was. She was present when Obama was born.”

It is at this point that some of the tapes floating around the Web stop, which means that the listener doesn’t get to hear the follow-up, which makes it very clear that Sarah Obama misunderstood. The full conversation ends with the interpreter saying, for the umpteenth time: “Hawaii. She says he was born in Hawaii. In the state of Hawaii, where his father, his father was learning there. The state of Hawaii.”

THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE If only Hawaii made its birth records public, and charged people a thousand dollars a pop to look at them, the state’s budget problems would be solved by the conspiracy theorists. However, it doesn’t. If you were born in Hawaii and request a copy of your birth certificate, you get a certification of live birth, which the federal government accepts for passports. Barack Obama requested his in 2007, and his campaign posted it on the Internet.

“A certificate of live birth is not even signed by anybody. I saw his. I read it very carefully. It doesn’t have a serial number. It doesn’t have a signature,” said Trump on “Today.”

The document has the stamped signature of the state registrar. The University of Pennsylvania’s FactCheck.org made a pilgrimage to the Obama campaign headquarters, examined the document, felt the seal, checked the serial number and reported that it looked fine.

THE EMPTY PHOTO ALBUM “Our current president came out of nowhere. Came out of nowhere,” Trump told the Conservative Political Action Conference to great applause. “In fact, I’ll go a step further. The people that went to school with him, they never saw him; they don’t know who he is. It’s crazy.”

This week on CNN, Suzanne Malveaux played Trump clips of Hawaiians reminiscing about the schoolchild Obama for a documentary the network had done on the president.

“Look, I didn’t say that ... If he was 3 years old or 2 years old or 1 year old and people remember him, that’s irrelevant,” Trumpresponded. “You have to be born in this country.”

Recent polls have shown Trump running second among potential Republican primary voters. I believe this is not so much an indication of popularity as a desperate plea to be delivered from Mitt Romney.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.4.26  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.4.24    5 years ago
A low level Clinton staffer forwarded an email that did not originate with the campaign.

Ah! And it took you how long to find that?

The Republicans and right wing conspiracy freaks kept the birther issue alive for years.

Isn't that funny - I only hear about it from liberals. Just examine this seed here. Ozzwald first raised the issue and you have turned it into an added topic!

Only racists defend birtherism Vic. 

Only racists carelessly toss the term around John.

I really think you should give it up.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.4.27  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.4.25    5 years ago

Thanks for the opinion piece or was it Ms Collins term paper?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.4.28  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @2.4.25    5 years ago

"The only people that I know who are afraid to take drug tests are the people who use drugs," says Rep. Bill Posey. The Florida Republican is the author of the so-called "Birther" bill, which would require future presidential candidates to submit their birth certificates. The fact that President Obama has already submitted -- forgive the extension of Posey's metaphor -- a clean urine sample seems to be completely irrelevant. Whether it's out of cynicism, fear of the GOP base or a simple inability to read and reason, the ranks of Birthers in Congress seem to be growing.

Salon has here in its (virtual) hand a list of 17 names of members of Congress who have either expressed support for, or refused to oppose, the idea that America has a foreign president problem. You'd be surprised how hard it is to get a member of Congress to say that Barack Obama is a natural-born citizen with the right to be president. Or maybe you wouldn't. Meet the Birthers on the Hill:

Rep: Bill Posey, R-Fla.: Though rumors of then-candidate Barack Obama's ineligibility for office incubated in right-wing fever swamps during the campaign, they found their first congressional ally in the actual swamps of Florida. Posey, a first-term representative from the   "Space Coast"  of Florida, is the sponsor of a bill that would require presidential candidates to submit their birth certificates. Posey has said that he can't   "swear on a stack of Bibles"   that Obama is a citizen. The congressman   told Lou Dobbs , "The eligibility of the president to serve under the Constitution has arisen five times, and Congress has failed to do anything about it thus far." Barry Goldwater was born in Arizona Territory, Posey points out. George Romney was born in Mexico. Shoot, John McCain was born in the Panama Canal Zone, and, claims Posey, the New York Times and Washington Post thought that made him ineligible. (We must have missed those editions of the Times and the Post. Posey's office has not responded to a request for comment.)

Meanwhile,   Stephen Colbert has demanded that Posey disprove the rumors about his own parentage . An outraged Posey denies the allegation. "There is no reason to say that I'm the illegitimate grandson of an alligator."

Rep. John Campbell, R-Calif.: Though he wasn't the first member of Congress to board the birther train, Campbell is perhaps the most infamous, thanks to   an interview on the topic with an unamused Chris Matthews.   Campbell cites the same talking points -- Romney, Goldwater and McCain -- as Posey did. "Nice try," responds Matthews, who then showed him the president's birth certificate. "You're verifying the paranoia out there. You're saying to the people, 'You're right, that's a reasonable question, whether he's a citizen or not.'"

Campbell spends the interview trying to weasel out of the question. "As far as I know, yes," he says of Obama's legitimacy. "Say it now: Barack Obama is president of the United States and he was born in this country," Matthews insists. "He is president of the United States," responds Campbell. Finally, under duress, Campbell concedes that Obama enjoys natural-born status: "Yes, I believe so."

With a hint of malice, Matthews half-jokes his way through the end of the segment, saying, "Congressman John Campbell, who does believe -- watch the rerun at 7 -- that Barack Obama is a native-born American. So those wackos in your district out there, don't vote for this guy, because he fundamentally disagrees with you. I'm just kidding." Campbell winces visibly.

Sen. Jim Inhofe, R-Okla.: Probably the know-nothingest member of the Senate, Inhofe thinks climate change is   "the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people." Coming in second, presumably, is the current fraudulent presidency. The Oklahoma conservative recently told Politico that the Birthers "have a point," adding, "I don't discourage it ... But I'm going to pursue defeating [Obama] on things that I think are very destructive to America." In a later clarification, he accused the White House of   not doing "a very good job of dispelling the concerns of these citizens."

Sen. Richard Shelby, R-Ala.: Asked about the president's eligibility at an Alabama town hall meeting back in February, Shelby said, "Well, his father was Kenyan and they said he was born in Hawaii, but I haven't seen any birth certificate. You have to be born in America to be president." Almost immediately afterward, his spokesperson was saying that the local paper had distorted what happened, adding, "While [Shelby] hasn't personally seen the president's birth certificate, he is confident that the matter has been thoroughly examined."

Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn.: This Tennessee politician, a co-sponsor of the Posey bill, trusts that the president is a natural-born citizen, says a spokesperson. She just thinks it's mighty odd that candidates for office don't have to meet   "the same basic identifying standard as a 16-year-old Tennessean aspiring to a driver's license."   Obviously, as government bloats and journalism withers, the DMV is much easier to trick than the international media. 

Rep. Dan Burton, R-Ind.: Paranoia is how Burton gets in the news. In the 1990s, the Indiana Republican shot a pumpkin in his backyard to demonstrate how the Clintons could have whacked Vince Foster. Now he's a co-sponsor of the birther bill. Says a spokesperson, explaining Burton's co-sponsorhip,   "You don't want to needlessly expose presidents to crazy conspiracy theories."   No, of course not.

Team Stonewall: Mike Stark, of the blog FireDogLake, wandered around the Capitol   trying, and mainly failing, to get a straight answer.   Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers, R-Wash., tells Stark she "would like to see the documents." One wonders what's stopping her. Rep. Charles Boustany, R-La., says the issue of Obama's eligibility "is certainly being looked at." (Though apparently not by him.) "I think there are questions. We'll have to see."

Rep. Jeff Fortenberry, R-Neb., asks Stark, "Do you have some evidence that he is or isn't?" Rep. Greg Harper, R-Miss., says that he thinks that "the Constitution speaks for itself, and it'll be up to others to look into that." Michigan's Rep. Thaddeus McCotter, asked whether Obama was born in the United States, says, "I'm focused on healthcare issues." (When the question was reiterated by Salon, a McCotter spokesperson again refused to comment, saying, "He's focused on healthcare like he said.") However, Rep. Tom Price, who sprinted away from Stark's camera, apparently doesn't want to be a member of Team Stonewall. A Price spokesman told Salon that Price was only running because he was late for a vote, and that Price does in fact believe that Obama was born in the United States.

The Gaggle of Unknown Texans: Reps. John Carter, John Culberson, Kenny Marchant, Ted Poe and Randy Neugebauer, all backbench Texas Republicans, have signed on to the Posey bill. Says Neugebauer, "I don't have the documentation one way or the other. And so my assumption is that he is a natural-born citizen, that hopefully the appropriate people checked that." Apparently, Neugebauer also does not have access to the Internet. Explains a spokesperson for Carter, "The requirement is there in the law upfront. So all of our candidates in the future should respond and   present the documentation upfront , and then there can't be any of these type of charges." Chalk all these charges against Obama to his tardiness in presenting his documentation. He waited all the way until June of 2008.

The Facebook Friends: A number of prominent Republicans are friends with birther leaders on Facebook. Of course, Facebook friendship need not imply an endorsement, in any form, of the denial of the president's eligibility for office. For example, New Jersey's Rep. Scott Garrett is Facebook friends with Philip Berg, a big-time Birther. "Oh my," said Garrett communications director Erica Elliott in response to this information. Elliott had never heard of Berg, but explained that Garrett doesn't manage his Facebook account, and a staffer must have confirmed Berg's friendship request, unaware of who he is.

The most aggressive Facebook user among the Birthers is Orly Taitz, the California dentist-lawyer-real estate agent who may also be the best-known Birther, even though she is a Facebook novice. "Today," she posted Sunday, "is the first day my assistants Vivian and Theresa opened my Facebook account to wide audience." Already she counts Rep. Eric Cantor, the House minority whip, among her virtual friends. But Cantor's spokesperson says much the same thing that Garrett's did: "She is registering her support for Eric Cantor, and nothing more.   Not vice versa ." (Taitz is also Facebook friends with Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele, whose office did not respond to a request for comment.)

Finally,   Taitz claims  that she was friended by Rep. Mary Bono Mack of California shortly after becoming active on Facebook. "Amazingly, Congresswoman Mary Bono asked to be my friend on Facebook."

A spokeswoman for Bono Mack told Salon that the Facebook friendship with Taitz doesn’t indicate support for Taitz, and is just a form of general, broad outreach. However, given three opportunities to agree on behalf of Bono Mack that the president was born in the United States and is qualified to command the armed forces, the spokeswoman refused to comment.

Counting the Facebook friends, that's 17 Republican elected officials who either seem doubtful that Obama is a legal head of state or are more than willing to indulge and even fan the unfounded doubts of their constituents. Nearly one in 10 members of the House Republican Caucus can fairly be said to have Birther sympathies, and those are just the ones we know about. The evasiveness doesn't really look great either. After all, as Posey says, the only people who won't take drug tests are the ones doing drugs.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.4.30  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.4.28    5 years ago

Keep beating that drum John!  I love when you prove me right!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3  Sean Treacy    5 years ago

It's good to have the MSM on your side...

The recent scandal resulted in the release of some emails of her staff, who basically were treating the Minnesota Star Tribune (the local "objective" paper) as a member of the team who could be relied on to frame the issue as Omar wanted

.The historical record, written objectively, should focus on the three years of apparently deliberate unethical choices made by legacy news media.

Would that it were...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    5 years ago

if there is proof she is anti-semitic i dont think she should be in congress although im sure she wouldnt be the only anti-semite there. 

as far the 'ethical" stuff, please, the political right has demonstrated they dont give a rats ass about ethics. i wouldnt even waste time looking at it.  This is what Trump has done, he has lowered our ethical standards out of existence. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    5 years ago

As is usual John, whatever truth is presented to you you deny it, deflect, and tell the messenger how wrong they are.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.1.1    5 years ago
As is usual John, whatever truth is presented to you you deny it, deflect, and tell the messenger how wrong they are.

Youre joking right? 

You have Donald Trump, the most unethical person to ever hold high office in the federal government. You dont hold him to any standard. Do you really think we should care about the ethics of a congresswoman? 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.2    5 years ago

You've made it clear, caring about Trump's ethics is just a pretext for Democrats. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.2    5 years ago

That's funny! You have absolutely zero idea what standards I hold anybody to, and as far as Trump being the most unethical person to ever hold high office in the federal government, that is solely your opinion  just as it is mine that his predecessor qualified for that category so I guess that leaves us at a impasse. And yes we should care about the ethics of a freshman congresswoman. You have good day now.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.5  JohnRussell  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.1.4    5 years ago
as far as Trump being the most unethical person to ever hold high office in the federal government, that is solely your opinion  just as it is mine that his predecessor qualified for that category

You are seriously trying to tell me that you think Obama is more unethical than Trump? 

Yikes !

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.7  JohnRussell  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.6    5 years ago

I dont think you know what unethical means. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Tessylo  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.6    5 years ago

What promises did the shitstain turd Rump keep?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.11  Tessylo  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.10    5 years ago

So you got nothing.  The turd has accomplished nothing except tear down every good thing President Obama had done.  President Obama is admired and respected around the world.  Rump is a shitstain racist thug corrupt grifter gangster thief and is a laughingstock around the world 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.12  Tessylo  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.9    5 years ago

Very good descriptions of the turd Rump.

Immoral, amoral, unprincipled, unconscionable, fraudulent, deceitful, disreputable, etc. etc. Good job Sparky!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.13  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.5    5 years ago

Without a doubt. Trump ain't perfect but Obama was far worse to me.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.14  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.11    5 years ago

I refer you back up to 3.1.1. You fall under the same category. Trump could tread six inches of water and you would still hate and criticize him for not walking on top of the water to meet your expectations!jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.15  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.7    5 years ago

Unethical means like politicizing and weaponizing all the agencies of government. You know, like having the IRS go out and target Conservative organizations ahead of the 2012 election and destroy evidence in the process. Or having the FBI & CIA spy on American citizens and an opposing political campaign while violating various laws. Or having a biased Justice Department that fixed investigations and placed consent decrees on police departments or distorting Title IX protections in universities via the denial of due process to the accused. 

Isn't that what it means?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.16  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.5    5 years ago

I most certainly am.

JBB
Professor Principal
4  JBB    5 years ago

The State of Israel is a government the same under US and international law as any other nation though Israel does enjoy "Most Favored Nation" status with the US and receives over a billion dollars a day in various forms of assistance from US taxpayers. This does not necessarily mean though that US and Israeli interests are always completely aligned. Certainly differing interests and ideas exist and therefore disagreements will sometimes ensue. This is especially true regarding "The Palestinian Issue"...

The United States of America in addition bestowing largess upon our friends the United States also enacts economic sanctions large and small upon many nations in our attempts to bring those regimens into better alignment with our own interests and international norms especially as regards weapons and human rights.

In an America where our President is plainly and openly hostile to the Islamic faith even going so far as to propose a "Muslim Ban", I see nothing particularly antisemitic about the only Muslim Member of Congress advocating for the interests off her Muslim constituents in her primarily Muslim district.

By those same standards should the thirty five Jewish Members of The US Congress (Only 2 of whom happen to be republicans) be disallowed from or condemned for metely advocating for the interests of their Jewish constituents or, for that matter, even the interests of The State of Israel?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @4    5 years ago
In an America where our President is plainly and openly hostile to the Islamic faith even going so far as to propose a "Muslim Ban",

When Trump talks about rounding up all the Muslims in this country, suggests deporting them or putting them in concentration camps. then i'll believe you.  

Until then your comment is simply TDS driven nonsense.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
4.2  arkpdx  replied to  JBB @4    5 years ago
the United States also enacts economic sanctions large and small upon many nations in our attempts to bring those regimens into better alignment with our own interests and international norms

I guess you would rather we go to actual war with those countries to safeguard our interests.  

propose a "Muslim Ban

What "Muslim ban" ?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.3  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @4    5 years ago
In an America where our President is plainly and openly hostile to the Islamic faith even going so far as to propose a "Muslim Ban", I see nothing particularly antisemitic about the only Muslim Member of Congress advocating for the interests off her Muslim constituents in her primarily Muslim district.

There was never any Muslim ban. You shouldn't believe everything MSNBC tells you.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JBB @4    5 years ago

A billion dollars a day?  Would you please post your source for that UNBELIEVABLY WILD figure? 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5  Sparty On    5 years ago

The media lied

And the liberals knew

Turk 182

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6  It Is ME    5 years ago

"He who controls the media controls the minds of the public." 
Noam Chomsky