Meth-gators aren't real, Tennessee police department says after viral Facebook post

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  one month ago  •  13 comments

Meth-gators aren't real, Tennessee police department says after viral Facebook post
The department hopes to make a website where people can buy Loretto police apparel, including "meth-gator" merchandise. Proceeds would go to charities helping children affected by drug use.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Kalhan Rosenblatt

A Tennessee police department that warned locals not to flush their drugs in fear of creating "meth-gators" has walked back their statement, calling the mention of drug-fueled reptiles a "humorous illustration."

"Let us be perfectly clear: the meth gator was a humorous illustration used to highlight the dangers of flushing drugs and other substances down your toilet," the Loretto Police Department wrote in a Facebook post on Friday. "Alas, the meth-gator is not real. Let’s say that again: THE METH GATOR IS NOT (at this time) REAL."

On July 13, the Loretto Police Department made its first mention of the methed-up gators in a post detailing a recent arrest where a suspect was caught unsuccessfully attempting to flush methamphetamine down a toilet.

"On a more or less serious note: Folks…please don’t flush your drugs m’kay ... if it made it far enough we could create meth-gators in Shoal Creek and the Tennessee River down in North Alabama," the post reads, in part.

But after the initial mention of meth-gators went majorly viral, the Loretto Police Department decided to clarify that the community in both Tennessee and Alabama was not under threat from drug-fueled crocodilians.

The police said they've had to field calls from across the globe and from some frightened professionals "fearing we actually had a meth influenced gator in our custody."

The department said it hopes to open a website where people will be able to buy Loretto Police Department apparel, which will include "meth-gator" merchandise, with proceeds going to local charities that deal with children affected by drug use.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
Find text within the comments Find 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    one month ago

I just couldn't resist posting this story. What I find amazing is that people actually believed it. Maybe if it didn't come from the police themselves , people would have not taken it seriously. But what does that say about us, and authority? 

Enoch
1.1  Enoch  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    one month ago

Dear Friend Perrie: Can you get me a list of those who bought Meth-Gators please.

I want to sell them land for potential appreciation in Florida.

Its above water most of the year.

Enoch, Studying for a Sunshine State Real Estate License.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
1.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Enoch @1.1    4 weeks ago

Indeed Enoch... apparently there is more real estate than we realized. Just make sure you put it on twitter and facebook! 

Enoch
1.1.2  Enoch  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.1    4 weeks ago

Dear Friend Prrrie: Tweet, tweet.

Smiles.

E.

Freefaller
1.2  Freefaller  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    4 weeks ago

Lol while untrue the original story was humorous and an amusing distraction from the standard fare we see here

Perrie Halpern R.A.
1.2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Freefaller @1.2    4 weeks ago

Glad you enjoyed it. I had a good laugh and I try

Tacos!
2  Tacos!    one month ago

Don't let them gaslight you, people! Meth-Gator IS a thing!

35qvx3.jpg

Enoch
2.1  Enoch  replied to  Tacos! @2    4 weeks ago

Dear Friend Tacos: Is there a dental plan available?

Doesn't look like Xylocaine is necessary.

P&AB.

E.

sandy-2021492
2.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Enoch @2.1    4 weeks ago
Doesn't look like Xylocaine is necessary.

I believe the dentist would need some.

Enoch
2.1.2  Enoch  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1.1    4 weeks ago

With a Nitrus Oxide chaser.

Smiles.

E.

Kavika
3  Kavika     one month ago

94a72cb77fe2f5534d48802c15e71a71.jpg

Bob Nelson
3.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Kavika @3    one month ago

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Enoch
3.2  Enoch  replied to  Kavika @3    4 weeks ago

Dear Brother Kavika: Or waiting on a Ford focus for lunch!

E.