╌>

Mueller didn’t fail. The country did.

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  5 years ago  •  35 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

T322QNVOHEI6TFARUYEPTUGC2M.jpg
Former special counsel Robert S. Mueller III appears during a hearing on Capitol Hill in Washington on Wednesday. (Matt McClain/The Washington Post)

Opinion writer

July 25 at 8:07 AM

Being thousands of miles away from home in Portugal, a country that 45 years ago was in the grasp of a brutal dictatorship, gives me an interesting perspective on former special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s Wednesday testimony and on the now nearly forgotten — was it only a week ago? — racist call for four nonwhite congresswomen to “go back” to where they came from.

I worry that we — the media, voters, Congress — are dangerously unserious when it comes to preservation of our democracy. To spend hours of airtime and write hundreds of print and online reports pontificating about the “optics” of Mueller’s performance — when he confirmed that President Trump accepted help from a hostile foreign power and lied about it, that he lied when he claimed exoneration, that he was not completely truthful in written answers, that he could be prosecuted after leaving office and that he misled Americans by calling the investigation a hoax — tells me that we have become untrustworthy guardians of democracy.

The “failure” is not of a prosecutor who found the facts but might be ill equipped to make the political case, but instead, of a country that won’t read his report and a media obsessed with scoring contests rather than focusing on the damning facts at issue.

The Republicans were hostile. The Democrats were friendly. Former special counsel Robert S. Mueller III gave them the same response on obstruction. (Joshua Carroll/The Washington Post)

Many well-meaning figures continue to beat the drums of impeachment rather than demand that Trump be voted out of office for betraying his country and lying to voters to conceal his crew’s unpatriotic sellout to Russian actors.

Trump’s authoritarian liturgy, like that of many 20th-century despots, also co-opts religion, abandons universal liberal values including a free press, substitutes corporate cronyism for democracy and excludes from the body politic those who disagree with the government. Given his druthers, this president would exile critics just as dying colonial regimes would send off dissidents without hope of physical return.

And despite all this, too much of the chattering class remains dangerously unfocused and frivolous. It deploys irony and cynicism when clear-eyed explanation and morally defensible perspective are essential. Democratic presidential candidates and voters had better get their act together to find someone to beat Trump. If not, Trump with the complicity of a craven party and the indulgence of those who know better will further fray our tenuous attachment to democracy and truth.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

I worry that we — the media, voters, Congress — are dangerously unserious when it comes to preservation of our democracy. To spend hours of airtime and write hundreds of print and online reports pontificating about the “optics” of Mueller’s performance — when he confirmed that President Trump accepted help from a hostile foreign power and lied about it, that he lied when he claimed exoneration, that he was not completely truthful in written answers, that he could be prosecuted after leaving office and that he misled Americans by calling the investigation a hoax — tells me that we have become untrustworthy guardians of democracy.

The “failure” is not of a prosecutor who found the facts but might be ill equipped to make the political case, but instead, of a country that won’t read his report and a media obsessed with scoring contests rather than focusing on the damning facts at issue.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
1.1  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Tessylo @1    5 years ago
when it comes to preservation of our democracy.

the federal govt is not a democracy and never will be

of a country that won’t read his report

only because "the country" has figured out [Deleted] but dont worry none about it, the progressive communists will get another chance to fundamentally shit-hole this country in about 40-60yrs.  so, better luck next time... LOL

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @1.1    5 years ago

Marxist communist left blah, blah, fucking blah.  jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

That's so whack.  Your magic 8 ball is cracked.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2  XXJefferson51    5 years ago

Blame America First!  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2    5 years ago

Nope I blame your shitstain of a 'president' who is a grifter, thug, thief, gangster along with his whole complicit cabinet and administration.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @2.1    5 years ago
Nope I blame your shitstain of a 'president' who is a grifter, thug, thief, gangster along with his whole complicit cabinet and administration.

Your Democratic Congress has the ability and means for impeachment.

Why won't they vote to impeach Trump?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.1    5 years ago
Why won't they vote to impeach Trump?

Under what circumstances do you imagine the Republican run Senate backing up those impeachment proceedings?

Democrats are in a no win situation, no matter the crime that Trump has committed, the Senate will always choose party over country.  They won't even criticize him over his latest racist tweets and pedophile charges, and you can't get much more extreme.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.2    5 years ago

Wah, wah, wah.

So now it is the fault of the GOP that some Democrats don't have the balls to vote for impeachment?
That is freaking hilarious!

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.4  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.3    5 years ago
So now it is the fault of the GOP that some Democrats don't have the balls to vote for impeachment?

It is amazing that you respond to comments, that apparently you don't bother reading...

luther28
Sophomore Silent
3  luther28    5 years ago

"The “failure” is not of a prosecutor who found the facts but might be ill equipped to make the political case, but instead, of a country that won’t read his report and a media obsessed with scoring contests rather than focusing on the damning facts at issue."

I would say this fairly sums it up. Mr. Mueller did not seem to be judged by what he said, more along the lines of how it was said.

If Democracy is to die, it will be ignorance and apathy that slays it.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.1  Ronin2  replied to  luther28 @3    5 years ago

I would have more respect for Herr Mueller if he had followed the leads wherever they took him on the Russian interference in our elections. Instead he turned it into a get Trump at all costs side show.

First he hires a team of Hillary and Obama sycophants. I am sure they were completely impartial./S

Then his complete and absolute failure against the Russian bot companies in court. The first real thing his team did in investigating Russian interference and they blow it.

But at least he gave us great theater arresting Roger Stone.

As for his testimony. There is a reason he had two babysitters with him. Someone needed to coach him through his testimony. 

Especially loved his walk back of the red meat he threw the Democrats. At least his babysitters were smart enough to know that he had perjured himself.

Lieu recounted the three elements needed for the crime of obstruction of justice.

"I believe a reasonable person looking at these facts could conclude that all three elements of the crime of obstruction of justice have been met, and I'd like to ask you the reason, again, you did not indict Donald Trump is because of the OLC (the DOJ's Office of Legal Counsel) opinion stating that you cannot indict a sitting president, correct?" Lieu asked.

"That is correct," Mueller asked.

In Mueller's opening statement that came later before the House Intelligence Committee, the former special counsel said he wanted to "correct the record" on his exchange with Lieu.

"That's not the correct way to say it," Mueller said. "We did not reach a determination as to whether the president committed a crime."

That statement was more in line with his report, and with his earlier opening statement to the Judiciary Committee, where he said, "Based on Justice Department policy and principles of fairness, we decided we would not make a determination as to whether the President committed a crime. That was our decision then and it remains our decision today."

In early May, Attorney General William Barr testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee that Mueller "reiterated several times in a group meeting that he was not saying that but for the OLC opinion he would have found obstruction."

The Dems must be terrified of Trump getting 4 more years. With the insane exploding clown car of candidates racing ever further left I can see why.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Ronin2 @3.1    5 years ago

That's Mr. Mueller.  

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.2  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.1    5 years ago
That's Mr. Mueller.  

Tell you what. You start referring to the President as President Trump, and not the little immature names you like to use, we will return the gesture in kind. Until then Herr Mueller failed. President Trump triumphed against hateful liberals...yet again.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  bugsy @3.1.2    5 years ago

Who is we?  

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.4  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.3    5 years ago
Who is we?  

Pretty much everyone that agrees that your immature names for the President are just stupid. There are many of us.

[deleted]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  bugsy @3.1.4    5 years ago

Don't include me in your "we"

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.6  bugsy  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.5    5 years ago
Don't include me in your "we"

Don't believe I did, but your responding shows a bit of guilt.

[deleted]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  bugsy @3.1.6    5 years ago

I never sent you a PM and I know I will get a ticket for this, but you're lying and that's not cool

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.1.8  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.7    5 years ago

I sent himm a BM once

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.9  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  bugsy @3.1.4    5 years ago

Please enlighten me then bugs.  

Otherwise, you are lying.  

I am free to refer to the turd 'president' however I please.  Just because you and your friends don't like it, I really don't give a shit.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.10  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  igknorantzrulz @3.1.8    5 years ago
'I sent himm a BM once'

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5  Nerm_L    5 years ago

The fact that Robert Mueller conducted an unimpeded investigation of the President and publicly testified before Congress is direct proof that our republic is working as it should.  The fact that Hillary Clinton could not use a popular majority to overturn an election is direct proof that our republic is working as it should.

Our politics is broken, not our republic.  Our country has not failed; our political parties have failed us.  Political parties have become a clear and imminent danger to the republic.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
5.1  luther28  replied to  Nerm_L @5    5 years ago
"Our country has not failed; our political parties have failed us.  Political parties have become a clear and imminent danger to the republic."
I wish I could disagree, but sadly I cannot.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
5.1.2  luther28  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @5.1.1    5 years ago
"So the question that remains is, when are all these knuckleheads who think their incredibly ineffective government should do something for them going to wake the fuck and do something for themselves and the country in the process."
Well until the electorate, number one actually begins to turn out and vote and discontinues the practice of rewarding bad behavior by electing the same folks and expecting a different outcome (is that not insanity defined?), I suppose the answer logically would be never.
Term limitations would not be the do all, but it would be a good beginning in my estimation. Legitimate third party might be a breath of fresh air, as long as I am dreaming.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Nerm_L @5    5 years ago

The gop is a clear and imminent danger to the republic.  

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5.2.1  Nerm_L  replied to  Tessylo @5.2    5 years ago
The gop is a clear and imminent danger to the republic.  

Nancy Pelosi has publicly stated that impeaching Trump isn't worth it.  Pelosi has publicly expressed concerns that impeaching Trump would mean Democrats lose their political majority in the House.  Democrats won't impeach because of fear that would harm the Democratic Party's chances of winning elections.  And Republicans won't convict in the Senate because of fear that would harm the Republican Party's chances of winning elections.

Neither political party is governing.  Both are more concerned about winning elections than they are concerned about the republic.   Government has become nothing more than a political tool for winning elections.

Voters are not being provided alternatives or choices.  Political party demands to vote against the opposing party is not a choice; the party retains power by default rather than by being an alternative.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Nerm_L @5.2.1    5 years ago

jrSmiley_90_smiley_image.gif