Country band Confederate Railroad nixed from another fair

Via:  john-russell  •  3 weeks ago  •  60 comments

Country band Confederate Railroad nixed from another fair
"I've done nothing wrong," Shirley said by phone on the band's tour bus. "I love the part of the country I'm from, and I will never apologize for that."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

NEW PALTZ, N.Y. (AP) — The Southern country-rock group Confederate Railroad lost a second summer fair gig after objections over the use of the Confederate flag in its logo.

The band's Aug. 1 date at the Ulster County Fair in New York's Hudson Valley has been canceled, a spokesman for Ulster County Executive Pat Ryan said Thursday. Illinois this month canceled a state fair appearance by the band, whose logo features a steam locomotive flying Confederate flags.

"The Ulster County Fair must be an event that everyone can enjoy while representing the values of all members of our community," Ryan said in a prepared statement. "Any showcasing of a symbol of division and racism runs counter to that principle and will be vigorously opposed by my administration."

The flag has come under increasing criticism as a racist emblem of slavery and segregation. Confederate Railroad frontman Danny Shirley on Thursday echoed supporters who say it represents history and Southern heritage.

"I've done nothing wrong," Shirley said by phone on the band's tour bus. "I love the part of the country I'm from, and I will never apologize for that."

Shirley said the band's name was inspired by a steam locomotive called the General, which was commandeered in Georgia by a Union raiding party during the Civil War. The locomotive is on display in Kennesaw, Georgia, where Shirley lived when he got his record deal.

"It seems that everybody kind of gets looking for something to get upset about," Shirley said. "And I guess I'm just the flavor of the month."

The Grammy-nominated band is known for acoustic ballads such as "Jesus and Mama," as well as its raucous anthem "Trashy Women."

Article is Locked

Find text within the comments Find 

JohnRussell
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 weeks ago

XDm9mm
1.1  XDm9mm  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 weeks ago

Absolutely GREAT band with great songs.

Oh, JR, do you have permission to use their logo?   

Tessylo
1.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1    3 weeks ago

Who cares what dumb inbred hicks have to say?  Or sing?

devangelical
1.2  devangelical  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 weeks ago

tough shit. fuck them.

JohnRussell
2  seeder  JohnRussell    3 weeks ago

No one should fly or portray the confederate flag outside of their own home or some other private gathering, unless it is to use it in a historical context such as in a movie, play, or book. 

If you fly the confederate flag with pride you are signaling agreement with what the flag symbolized, which was white supremacy. 

This decision is really a no brainer. 

Vic Eldred
2.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 weeks ago
which was white supremacy.

You mean the Confederacy. "White supremacy" is a very recent construct, a form of newspeak.

JohnRussell
2.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    3 weeks ago

lol.   The Confederacy was founded on white supremacy. 

Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner-stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth. Alexander Stephens , vice president, Confederate States of America

WallyW
2.1.2  WallyW  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    3 weeks ago

If you are suggesting that the Republican Party is a party of racism and white supremacy, you would be wrong.

That disgusting and dishonorable distinction belongs to the democrats alone.

devangelical
2.1.3  devangelical  replied to  WallyW @2.1.2    3 weeks ago

it is the party of racism and white supremacy, now.

Paula Bartholomew
2.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  WallyW @2.1.2    3 weeks ago

Trump is an R, not a D.  The dems might have started it, but the repubs have fine tuned it.

Dismayed Patriot
2.1.5  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  WallyW @2.1.2    3 weeks ago
If you are suggesting that the Republican Party is a party of racism and white supremacy, you would be wrong.

They are the current party embracing and welcoming white supremacists and racists, that pretty much defines them even though the majority of Republicans do not hold to the most extreme of those views. They just often share the same feelings of remembering the confederacy fondly, revering those who fought for slavery and celebrating those treasonous confederate military leaders who tried their best to kill as many American Union soldiers as they could. I find it hilarious that today its the party of Lincoln who is stalwartly defending the ideology of the confederacy, but lets be real, the Republican party of today looks nothing like the party of Lincoln. It is now the party of Lincoln in name only.

Texan1211
2.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1.5    3 weeks ago

Please point out where and when the Republican Party has "welcomed and embraced" racists and white supremacists.

I know I can point out where the Democratic Party did EXACTLY those things.

JBB
2.1.7  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.6    3 weeks ago

In 1972 Nixon INFAMOUSLY welcomed the disaffected Dixiecrats who had deserted the Democratic Party in 1964 and 1968 to support Strom Thurman and zgeorge Wallacd into the damn gop with Nixon's "Southern Strategy" For Reelection...

Texan1211
2.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @2.1.7    3 weeks ago
In 1972 Nixon INFAMOUSLY welcomed the disaffected Dixiecrats who had deserted the Democratic Party in 1964 and 1968 to support Strom Thurman and zgeorge Wallacd into the damn gop with Nixon's "Southern Strategy" For Reelection...

I always love it when people try to make something out of that.

The one thing they invariably do is to simply ignore the fact that the South remained staunchly Democratic for decades.

And it is always amusing to see them gloss over the facts that the Democratic Party as  whole had absolutely NO problem with Southern Democrats for DECADES when it meant political power.

Vic Eldred
2.1.9  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    3 weeks ago
The Confederacy was founded on white supremacy. 

The Confederacy was based on preserving slavery and state sovereignty. The "racism" of the 20th century is not quite the same thing. Slavery was not necessarily based on a hatred of another group. In the case of the old south, slavery grew out of the need for labor - labor to harvest cotton and other crops.

WallyW
2.2  WallyW  replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 weeks ago

Yet more left wing PC stupidity. They went so far as to censor the 'General Lee'.

https://deadline.com/2015/07/dukes-of-hazzard-tv-land-clementa-pickney-dylann-roof-1201466719/

Mark in Wyoming
2.3  Mark in Wyoming  replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 weeks ago
No one should fly or portray the confederate flag outside of their own home or some other private gathering, unless it is to use it in a historical context such as in a movie, play, or book.

how about historically accurate re-enactments john?

XDm9mm
2.3.1  XDm9mm  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @2.3    3 weeks ago
how about historically accurate re-enactments john?

Only if the Confederate flag gets blurred out and the Union Troops always win.

JBB
2.3.2  JBB  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @2.3    3 weeks ago

I would like to see more historical reenactments of the horrors of slavery, Ku Klux Klan violence and the injustices of the 100 Year Jim Crow Era. I hear they are finally making a major motion picture about The Tulsa Race Riot aka The Greenwood Massacre when the emerging Black Wall Street was bombed to smitherines and hundreds of innocent men, women and children were massacred by White Supremacist a hundred years ago in Tulsa...

SteevieGee
2.3.3  SteevieGee  replied to  XDm9mm @2.3.1    3 weeks ago

It wouldn't be historically accurate if the union troops lost would it?

devangelical
2.3.4  devangelical  replied to  SteevieGee @2.3.3    3 weeks ago

there wouldn't be a controversy today if every traitor had been executed after the civil war

Texan1211
2.3.5  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @2.3.4    3 weeks ago
there wouldn't be a controversy today if every traitor had been executed after the civil war

Possibly.

But, hey, let's damn the GOP for being conciliatory and reasonable. Maybe we SHOULD have got rid of those damn racist Democrats. That way, we wouldn't have had Democrat-supported Jim Crow laws for decades.

XDm9mm
2.3.6  XDm9mm  replied to  SteevieGee @2.3.3    3 weeks ago
It wouldn't be historically accurate if the union troops lost would it?

Maybe you missed this point, so I'll let it slide: and the Union Troops always win

They got their asses kicked quite often.   But what's history got to do with anything.

Mark in Wyoming
2.3.7  Mark in Wyoming  replied to  JBB @2.3.2    3 weeks ago

And I think making such movies , in a documentary style is a good thing , especially if it is unvarnished by artistic lic so often used by screen writers, but I can see a stumbling or road block .

And that would be , it will have to be something people will actually go and pay to watch, and if they desire to watch it will be entirely up to the audience . 

I recently saw that they have done a movie about the life of Harriet Tubman , called Harriet, it has not been released yet, it promises to be decent .

Paula Bartholomew
2.3.8  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JBB @2.3.2    3 weeks ago

I suggest the film Rosewood also.  It happened in FL and not really all that long ago.

luther28
2.3.9  luther28  replied to  XDm9mm @2.3.6    3 weeks ago
"But what's history got to do with anything."

Everything.

katrix
2.3.10  katrix  replied to  XDm9mm @2.3.6    3 weeks ago
They got their asses kicked quite often.   But what's history got to do with anything.

I live near quite a few Civil War battlefields, so I'm interested in the history. The interesting thing is how incompetent many of the generals actually were, and how quite a few of the outcomes could so easily have been vastly different. From the Confederate idiot who dropped a cigar with the army's plans wrapped around it, to Burnside's incompetence ... whether it's because warfare was changing, or too many of them were political appointees, a lack of information and intelligence, inexperience, or what, I don't know.

One of my friends found a Civil War musket in the river where the soldiers crossed during the retreat from Antietam. That always makes me wonder about the soldier was carrying it.

Trout Giggles
2.3.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  katrix @2.3.10    3 weeks ago

It makes me wonder the percentage of West Point Academy grads in the Union Army vs the Confederate Army.

I think Lee was a West Point grad and graduated at the top of his class, while Grant graduated near the bottom. But as you pointed out, the commanding general has to rely on all of his subordinates doing their jobs well.

JBB
2.3.12  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @2.3.5    3 weeks ago

Or, even better yet, how about everybody in the damn gop today quits pretending to have complete and total political amnesia regarding race for all American History since Nineteen Sixty Four?

Texan1211
2.3.13  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @2.3.12    3 weeks ago

And maybe we can pretend, for your personal comfort level, that Democrats didn't fight for slavery, and that the Jim Crow laws they passed weren't accepted by the Democratic Party.

Mark in Wyoming
2.3.14  Mark in Wyoming  replied to  Texan1211 @2.3.13    3 weeks ago

Tex in a perfect world , people would recognize their own racism , and if they truly wanted to make the world perfect they wouldn't use or tolerate racism at all and it would end up in the dustbin of history. 

But that also depends on how an individual personally defines racism and how its used.

JohnRussell
2.3.15  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @2.3.13    3 weeks ago
And maybe we can pretend, for your personal comfort level, that Democrats didn't fight for slavery, and that the Jim Crow laws they passed weren't accepted by the Democratic Party.

That type of argument is the stupidest thing we see on the internet these days. 

Texan1211
2.3.16  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2.3.15    3 weeks ago

I do notice that you supplied absolutely nothing to dispute what I wrote.

Interesting.

ArkansasHermit-too
2.3.17  ArkansasHermit-too  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.3.11    3 weeks ago
the percentage of West Point Academy grads in the Union Army vs the Confederate Army.

People also ask

How many West Point graduates died in the Civil War?
Nine hundred and seventy-seven West Point graduates from the classes of 1833 through 1861 were alive when the Civil War began. Of these men, 259 (26%) joined the Confederacy and 638 (65%) fought for the Union.

katrix
2.3.18  katrix  replied to  Texan1211 @2.3.13    3 weeks ago
And maybe we can pretend, for your personal comfort level, that Democrats didn't fight for slavery, and that the Jim Crow laws they passed weren't accepted by the Democratic Party

And maybe we can pretend, for your personal comfort level, that you haven't ignored every single fact about how the parties have switched planks over the years. Democrat vs. Republican is intellectually dishonest of you in this case, when what it comes down to is bigots vs. progressives. The bigots (conservative Democrats) moved to the Republican party. As you well know, but keep pretending is not the case.

Texan1211
2.3.19  Texan1211  replied to  katrix @2.3.18    3 weeks ago
And maybe we can pretend, for your personal comfort level, that you haven't ignored every single fact about how the parties have switched planks over the years. Democrat vs. Republican is intellectually dishonest of you in this case, when what it comes down to is bigots vs. progressives. The bigots (conservative Democrats) moved to the Republican party. As you well know, but keep pretending is not the case.

Switched planks?

Do give some real examples of Republicans passing Jim Crow laws and fighting to keep slavery.

And explain how the "bigots" who switched kept electing Democrats for decades throughout the South.

Trout Giggles
2.3.20  Trout Giggles  replied to  ArkansasHermit-too @2.3.17    3 weeks ago

Thanks for the info.

Kathleen
2.4  Kathleen  replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 weeks ago

If it’s on your own private property you can. Even if you disagree with the flag a private homeowner can.  There may be homeowner associations that may have rules against it depending where you live. 

JBB
3  JBB    3 weeks ago

Good...

devangelical
3.1  devangelical  replied to  JBB @3    3 weeks ago

meh, they can always rename their stinkin' band after a different defeated enemy of the USA

JBB
3.1.1  JBB  replied to  devangelical @3.1    3 weeks ago

The Kiaser's Zeppelin, The King Spain's Side Car or King George's Carriage!

Mark in Wyoming
3.1.2  Mark in Wyoming  replied to  devangelical @3.1    3 weeks ago

They could have chose the name Underground Railroad , keeping the railroad tie in , imagine the krefflufle that would have caused being a southern country rock band.... besides there is a European group by that name now already.

JBB
3.1.3  JBB  replied to  devangelical @3.1    3 weeks ago

Please note I did not suggest "Hitler's Handcart". That'd be goin too far! /S

r.t..b...
3.1.4  r.t..b...  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @3.1.2    3 weeks ago
keeping the railroad tie in

The 'White Spurs'...not connected to the main line, but a secondary track used for the purpose of unloading whatever cargo they are delivering. 

XDm9mm
4  XDm9mm    3 weeks ago

So, the Confederate Railroad has been performing for over thirty years and never has a word been said.

Now, someone gets their panties in a bunch over their logo and they get cancelled.

George Orwell got it wrong.  One book should have been titled 2019 and the other Progressive Farm.

JBB
4.1  JBB  replied to  XDm9mm @4    3 weeks ago

The simple truth is that people have just finally became a lot more sensitive to the fact that community celebrations should be inclusive for everyone? Such acts as CRR were originally formed and well named specifically to make some people (white people) feel welcomed and to let some other people know that they were being intenentionally excluded. Such concept bands are anachronistic and outdated for many American's tastes in 2019. Besides, is not a rose by any other name just as sweet? CRR needs to find a new name that does not glorify the misbegotten Southern resistance to civil rights...

Texan1211
4.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @4.1    3 weeks ago
CRR needs to find a new name that does not glorify the misbegotten Southern resistance to civil rights...

[Removed....you can do better....]

luther28
5  luther28    3 weeks ago

I believe the train has finally pulled into Bat Shit Station.

We have collectively gone off the rails in my estimation, but on the positive side I am sure things like this send some folks scrambling for the history books ( or at least google).

JohnRussell
5.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  luther28 @5    3 weeks ago

It is not bat shit at all to not do business with people who want to fly the Confederate flag. 

devangelical
5.1.1  devangelical  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1    3 weeks ago

where I live it's a good reason to get their asses kicked. now those flags get torn town or the window stickers get bashed out. a few years back at a family reunion, I had the privilege of watching 2 nephews ( both servicemen with 2 & 3 ME tours of duty ) pull down 2 traitor flags in texas on memorial day. one of which with the goober yelling at us out of his window. he wouldn't come outside for some reason... bwah ha ha

Texan1211
5.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @5.1.1    3 weeks ago

So you favor lawlessness when you agree politically with the people perpetuating the crime.

Got it.

JBB
5.1.3  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.2    3 weeks ago

Then I do not think you should object if the Toe Suck City Texas City Council picks Pubic Enemy or Insane Clown Posse to headline your town's annual White Pride Rally and Bland Food Festival? Fair is Fair! Right? SMH...

Texan1211
5.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @5.1.3    3 weeks ago

So still dealing with fantasy and what-ifs while I am dealing in reality.

My city doesn't have any of those celebrations.

If I lived in a city that hired either band, I would either:

A. Attend because I like the bands OR

B. Not attend because I don't like the bands.

I don't base my preference for a band on their name, or politics, but rather on their music. I'm just funny like that. I also don't judge actors' and actresses' performances on their personal political stances.

devangelical
5.1.5  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.2    3 weeks ago

some people claim their heritage is connected to flying the dixie swastika, while the heritage of others was making sure a lead miniball hit center mass or the skulls of those that were flying it.. get that?

Texan1211
5.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @5.1.3    3 weeks ago
SMH...

So now you are going to tell me what I object to theoretically and then shake YOUR head?

Texan1211
5.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @5.1.5    3 weeks ago
some people claim their heritage is connected to flying the dixie swastika, while the heritage of others was making sure a lead miniball hit center mass or the skulls of those that were flying it.. get that?

Okay, first off, no matter what you claim, there is no such thing a dixie swastika.

Second, I fully support the Republicans who killed racist Democrats during the Civil War.

Let's just say I am rather surprised you do.

devangelical
5.1.8  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.7    3 weeks ago

sorry, that type of goober spin is ineffective on anyone with an IQ over room temperature, oh wait...

Texan1211
5.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @5.1.8    3 weeks ago
sorry, that type of goober spin is ineffective on anyone with an IQ over room temperature, oh wait...

I always find it amusing when people who don't understand what is written try to deflect by calling people out for spin.

What in my post is inaccurate?

Trout Giggles
6  Trout Giggles    3 weeks ago

They'll be all right. They're going to play at some venue in Arkansas. Somebody heard about their gig getting canceled so they signed them up to play down here

r.t..b...
6.1  r.t..b...  replied to  Trout Giggles @6    3 weeks ago
Somebody heard about their gig getting canceled so they signed them up to play down here

Are the Dixie Chicks the opening act?