NBCBLK Black rag dolls with instructions to 'whack' them against a wall are pulled from New Jersey store

Via:  pat-wilson  •  3 weeks ago  •  20 comments

NBCBLK Black rag dolls with instructions to 'whack' them against a wall are pulled from New Jersey store
A black rag doll that came with instructions to "whack" it against a wall was pulled from a dollar store in Bayonne, New Jersey, following complaints that it was offensive.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A black rag doll that came with instructions to "whack" it against a wall was pulled from a dollar store in Bayonne, New Jersey, following complaints that it was offensive.

State Assemblywoman Angela McKnight, a Democrat whose district includes Bayonne, said in a press release posted on her Facebook page that the doll, sold at a One Dollar Zone! store, was "disturbing on so many levels" and was "an inappropriate representation of a black person."

The cloth doll, called the "Feel Better Doll," has red, black, yellow and green yarn hair with a white smile and eyes stitched on its face. On the doll's stomach are instructions on how to use it.

The "Feel Better Doll" instructs people to "whack" it against a wall to help them feel better. It was pulled from a dollar store in Bayonne, New Jersey, for being offensive.Angela V. McKnight via Facebook

"Whenever things don't go well and you want to hit the wall and yell, here's a little 'feel better doll' that you just will not do without," it reads, according to a photo of the doll with McKnight's press release. "Just grab it firmly by the legs and find a wall to slam the doll, and as you whack the 'feel good doll' do not forget to yell I FEEL GOOD, I FEEL GOOD."

The doll's manufacturer is shown on the photo as Harvey Hutter, Co. Multiple numbers listed for the New York-based company no longer work. An online search said Harvey Hutter, Co. was permanently closed.

McKnight said she went to the dollar store after hearing complaints and asked the manager to promptly remove the doll, which she said the manager did.

"Racism has no place in the world and I will not tolerate it, especially not in this district," McKnight said in the press release. "When I saw the doll in person, I cringed and was truly disheartened by the thought of a black child being beaten by another child or an adult for pure pleasure."

The manager at the One Dollar Zone! store in Bayonne could not immediately be reached by NBC News.

Ricky Shah, president of the independent family-owned chain based in Paterson, New Jersey, apologized in a statement to NBC Boston, saying that the dolls were included in a shipment of about 35,000 pieces of closeout items.

"This somehow slipped through the cracks," he said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
Find text within the comments Find 

pat wilson
1  seeder  pat wilson    3 weeks ago

What sick fuck came up with this ?????

Greg Jones
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  pat wilson @1    3 weeks ago

[deleted]

pat wilson
1.1.1  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    3 weeks ago

There is nothing political in the article or my seeding of it. Try again.

bugsy
2  bugsy    3 weeks ago

[deleted]

This is stupidity and racist all at the same time.

pat wilson
2.1  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  bugsy @2    3 weeks ago

The first sentence of your comment is useless, your second is accurate.

bugsy
2.1.1  bugsy  replied to  pat wilson @2.1    3 weeks ago

[deleted]

Whoever made this doll should be put out of business.

pat wilson
2.1.2  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  bugsy @2.1.1    3 weeks ago
I could be snarky

You just were. You could have commented without making anything political about it.

Dean Moriarty
3  Dean Moriarty    3 weeks ago

Looks like a nothing burger to me. 

If they only sold their white ones somebody would complain that it is racist they don’t offer a black one. 

pat wilson
3.1  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3    3 weeks ago

Tried to google that one but only black ones come up. Google must be racist, lol.

Vic Eldred
3.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3    3 weeks ago
If they only sold their white ones somebody would complain that it is racist they don’t offer a black one. 

And there it is!  Do they only make black dolls or do they come in multiple colors?  If they only make black dolls Ms McKnight would be/is correct. But I'm going to set the record straight on where we are: Ms McKnight complained the dolls were racist and the manager immediately removed them. If she had made the same complaint about Lentil soup, the manager would have removed all of that too! [deleted]

bugsy
3.3  bugsy  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3    3 weeks ago

That one is from New Mexico. Is it a white Hispanic? If it is, it's racist. If it's just white, it's not.

Kathleen
3.4  Kathleen  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3    3 weeks ago

I had to laugh at that one.

I saw white ones in the store long ago, I was not sure what they were for, now I know.

Tacos!
4  Tacos!    3 weeks ago

I was hoping to find a catalog of these things, but the manufacturer doesn't seem to be in business anymore. However, this kind of product is pretty common. There are all sorts of toys and dolls out there intended to be squeezed, thrown, beaten, etc. Some look like people, sep130086_-_big_bang_theory_stress_doll_71VeNOOmPxL._SL1500_.jpgs-l225.jpgPROBATION-OFFICER-FRUSTRATION-DOLL-dammi 

some look like made up creatures, rBVaVVx2NJeAapE9AADRYAH4PKM474.jpg 813WRIq7R7L._SX355_.jpg

some are toolish, 672517.jpg412jX4s82SL._SX425_.jpg

and some are just shapes. Dancing-Doll-Stress-Buster.jpg

So I don't know that I would just assume a particular doll is racist. I'd say I recognize a stereotypical (or perhaps archetypal) figure in the doll in this story. i.e., It looks Rastafarian. Unless someone is specifically trying to promote the entertainment value of beating up Rastafarians specifically or black people generally (which I kind of doubt), I'm not really seeing the racism.

pat wilson
4.1  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Tacos! @4    3 weeks ago

Apparently the doll also came in green and yellow, can't find any images.

As of now the manufacturer's phones are disconnected and the website has disappeared.

Vic Eldred
4.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  pat wilson @4.1    3 weeks ago
Apparently the doll also came in green and yellow, can't find any images.

I'm over here Pat.

So maybe it wasn't intended to be openly racist!  They would have to be incredibly stupid to manufacture such a doll!

pat wilson
4.1.2  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.1    3 weeks ago

Look, if they had been displayed in the assorted colors it would be one thing but the dollar store only displayed the black dolls which certainly looks racist to me.

Vic Eldred
4.1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  pat wilson @4.1.2    3 weeks ago

They only displayed the black ones?  I guess I missed that.

Kathleen
4.1.4  Kathleen  replied to  pat wilson @4.1.2    3 weeks ago

Maybe the white ones sold out. Not meaning to sound racist, but I collect barbies and I see a lot of the black ones left on the shelves. 

luther28
4.1.5  luther28  replied to  pat wilson @4.1.2    3 weeks ago
"Look, if they had been displayed in the assorted colors it would be one thing but the dollar store only displayed the black dolls which certainly looks racist to me."
As they say, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...............

Kathleen
4.2  Kathleen  replied to  Tacos! @4    3 weeks ago

I guess the brick is soft and you can throw it at a window without it breaking. 

Anger management needed here.