╌>

Mass shooting reported at Gilroy, California Garlic Festival

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  26 comments

Mass shooting reported at Gilroy, California Garlic Festival
Reports of multiple victims at a shooting in California at the Gilroy Garlic Festival.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1  sandy-2021492    5 years ago

The last update I saw said 3 fatalities.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Obviously, this will be a developing story...

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3  MrFrost    5 years ago

Tragic, but sadly, all too frequent. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Yes? And so what else is new today?

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
4.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    5 years ago
Yes? And so what else is new today?

Critique? Are you advocating that America adopt Chinese gun laws? You could at least show a smidgen of compassion for the victims.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @4.1    5 years ago

Compassion?  Too bad it's so necessary on a daily basis.  In America the people should be in mourning EVERY FUCKING DAY.

So what is so wrong with having NO FEAR of being shot, at a gathering or alone on a street, or any time at all?  The only persons with guns in China are the military, the police and bank money delivery staff.  Even bank guards don't have guns. 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
4.1.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.1    5 years ago
So what is so wrong with having NO FEAR of being shot, at a gathering or alone on a street, or any time at all?

If it requires giving up my freedom of speech along with capitalism, then I do see a few problems. I want universal background checks and sensible gun laws, not a communist government to come and take all our guns away, that would not make me feel safer.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @4.1.2    5 years ago

By the way, one does not have to be a Communist to live in China. I've been pretty happy here for almost 13 years, but I've supported the Conservative Parties of Canada and Ontario for the past 40 years.  True, I don't get up on a soapbox and criticize the government - I have no reason to do that because I've been made to feel welcome since I came here.  I really don't miss not having a gun.  I never owned one and never needed one both in Canada or here.  

Oh, another thing. You don't give up Capitalism here.  There are many millionaires and billionaires.  Ever heard of Jack Ma?  My wife's brother lives in a small mansion in a gated community surrounded by a golf course and drives a new BMW SUV, sends his son to a top private school and in a little more than a year will be supporting him at a Toronto university. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1.4  Snuffy  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @4.1.2    5 years ago

I don't want universal background checks at the federal level. Not because I don't think they can help but I don't want to give the federal government a toe-hold in controlling intra-state commerce. Once they start who knows where it will end. This should definitely be a states rights issue and left with the state.

I think for the most part we do have sensible gun laws, what we are missing is sensible laws around people and mental health, as well as actually reporting up to the NICS system all the information. How many of these times do we find out after the fact that the perpetrator was able to legally buy the weapon from a gun store because of non-reported information to the NICS system or an issue with the persons mental stability that someone knew about but didn't report it.

Is this an issue that needs to be worked on?  Absolutely. But lets fix the system. The only reason, IMO, why politicians continue to talk about new laws is to get their name out in public. Then they can stand up, pound their chests and proclaim how they tried to do something. They don't care about dead people as there are always other voters.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.1.6  Ozzwald  replied to    5 years ago
What's universal?

u·ni·ver·sal
/ˌyo͞onəˈvərsəl/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
of, affecting, or done by all people or things in the world or in a particular group; applicable to all cases.
"universal adult suffrage"
synonyms: general, ubiquitous, comprehensive, common, omnipresent, all-embracing, all-inclusive, all-round, across the board; More
noun
a person or thing having universal effect, currency, or application.

What's sensible?

sen·si·ble
/ˈsensəb(ə)l/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
(of a statement or course of action) chosen in accordance with wisdom or prudence; likely to be of benefit.
"I cannot believe that it is sensible to spend so much"
synonyms: practical, realistic, responsible, full of common sense, reasonable, rational, logical, sound, circumspect, balanced, sober, no-nonsense, pragmatic, levelheaded, serious-minded, thoughtful, commonsensical, down-to-earth, wise, prudent, mature; More
(of an object) practical and functional rather than decorative.
"Mom always made me have sensible shoes"
synonyms: practical, realistic, responsible, full of common sense, reasonable, rational, logical, sound, circumspect, balanced, sober, no-nonsense, pragmatic, levelheaded, serious-minded, thoughtful, commonsensical, down-to-earth, wise, prudent, mature;

JumpDrive
Freshman Silent
4.1.7  JumpDrive  replied to    5 years ago
I want universal background checks and sensible gun laws.
What's universal?  What's sensible?

Universal means across all states. Let's try the gun laws in NJ for sensible. In NJ, for a private or commercial transfer, you must obtain a permit to purchase/acquire a handgun from the police for each handgun. To purchase a rifle you must have a Firearms ID. A handgun purchase permit requires a Firearms ID. A firearms ID requires a background check, finger printing, and a couple unrelated people to vouch for you.

In NJ, 80+% of the weapons recovered at crime scenes come from out of state. In neighboring Pa, almost 100% come from in-state. Seems like NJ gun acquisition laws could have a substantial effect on guns in the hands of criminals.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
5  Dismayed Patriot    5 years ago

I've gone to the Garlic festival at least a dozen times in the last 20 years, missed it this year. Just so sad to hear about another mass shooting, and one relatively close, about 40 minutes north from where my family and I live. My heart goes out to the victims and I can't even imagine how I would have felt had I been there this year with my five and ten year old daughters. So sad. I've no doubt we'll soon hear the conservative narrative about how this has nothing to do with the easy availability to buy assault rifles in America and this will just be added to the pile of mass shootings where nothing is done. They say "why bother?" with universal background checks, "criminals will get them anyway". I think we can have a strong 2nd amendment where any responsible adult can buy and own as many fire arms as they would like with few exceptions. The exceptions that already exist are: no automatic rifles (without specific permits), no silencers (without specific permits), no concealed carry (without specific permits), background check for gun store purchases. Just as of March bump stocks have been banned. But it's still legal to buy an assault rifle without a background check from a private sale or gun show in most States, including California. From what I hear so far it sounds as if another assault rifle was used in this mass shooting as in almost all mass shootings, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it was another AR-15 as that seems to be the mass shooter weapon of choice.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5    5 years ago

Then it may well have just been good fortune or good karma that you chose not to be there this year, because had you been there.....who knows what could have befallen you, or your kids?  Personally, I'm glad you and your kids are okay.  I don't wish harm on anyone. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5    5 years ago

You might want to check your definitions of assault "weapon" and assault "rifle". I could be mistaken, but I believe it is perfectly legal to own a assault weapon while is illegal to own a assault rifle without a exhaustive and difficult to obtain Class 3 weapons permit. The major difference being assault weapon refers to semi auto while assault rifle is capable of selective fire between semi and automatic fire.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
7  Dean Moriarty    5 years ago

It was another sitting duck zone. People attending the festival must pass through metal detectors and security before getting into the park. The shooter cut a hole in the fence to get in. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Dean Moriarty @7    5 years ago

Any crowd would be the same.