Trump Again Boasts He ‘Spent A Lot Of Time’ At Ground Zero With First Responders

Via:  pat-wilson  •  3 weeks ago  •  49 comments

Trump Again Boasts He ‘Spent A Lot Of Time’ At Ground Zero With First Responders
“Many of those affected were firefighters, police officers and other first responders,” he said. “And I was down there also. But I am not considering myself a first responder. But I was down there. I spent a lot of time down there with you.”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

President Donald Trump said on Monday that he “spent a lot of time” at Ground Zero in the wake of the Sept. 11 terror attacks, resurfacing an old claim he has touted repeatedly without evidence to back it up.During a Rose Garden speech after signing a law to provide permanent financial aid to survivors and first responders who became ill after working at the site of the fallen Twin Towers, Trump told the audience he, too, was there.“Many of those affected were firefighters, police officers and other first responders,” he said. “And I was down there also. But I am not considering myself a first responder. But I was down there. I spent a lot of time down there with you.

Trump’s statement ― a suggestion that he deserves some measure of credit for showing up at the site ― echoes previous remarks he’s made about Sept. 11, including at an April 2016 campaign stop in Buffalo, New York, where he told his supporters that he assisted with recovery efforts.“Everyone who helped clear the rubble ― and I was there, and I watched, and I helped a little bit ― but I want to tell you: Those people were amazing,” he said. “Clearing the rubble. Trying to find additional lives. You didn’t know what was going to come down on all of us ― and they handled it.”The vague implication that he was lending a hand, even placing himself in harm’s way, remains completely unsubstantiated.He did, however, appear at Ground Zero.According to an excerpt from local paper Newsday, Trump was interviewed from the scene, having been quoted in a story that ran on Sept. 14.

The workers are so worn out that they barely glance at the sight of Donald Trump, every hair in place and impeccably dressed in a black suit, pressed white shirt and red tie, walking into the plaza with his cellular phone to his ear. “No, no. The building’s gone,” he says into the phone.

Trump also spoke to a German TV reporter on Sept. 13 and can be seen standing in Lower Manhattan. While he said in the interview that he had “a lot of men” helping out ― roughly 225 total ― PolitiFact was unable to corroborate that claim after researching it earlier this year.Though Trump’s appearance at Ground Zero checks out, the president has a history of dubious or outright false statements about his connection to Sept. 11.In a February 2016 GOP debate, Trump claimed to have “lost hundreds of friends” from the attacks, but his campaign did not provide a single name. Given that nearly 3,000 people died, the statement, if true, would mean the president personally knew a significant fraction of the victims.

At his Columbus, Ohio, rally on November 2015, Trump claimed that he watched from his apartment as people leapt from the crumbling towers and that he witnessed the second plane coming in. Since Trump Tower is located in midtown, more than four miles away from where the World Trade Center stood, it’s highly unlikely Trump could have seen the destruction from his window.  Among the things that are known as fact about Trump’s response to the attacks on Sept. 11 is that he immediately bragged in an interview with New Jersey’s WWOR-TV that his building had just become the tallest in the city since the Twin Towers had fallen.Trump also applied for and received $150,000 in federal recovery grants intended for small businesses impacted by the Sept. 11 attacks, a New York Daily News investigation discovered, even though his properties were not damaged.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
Find text within the comments Find 

pat wilson
1  seeder  pat wilson    3 weeks ago

Note to moderators, this article did not have a photo so I supplied a generic one.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  pat wilson @1    3 weeks ago

OK thanks for the heads up! 

Dean Moriarty
2  Dean Moriarty    3 weeks ago

I saw the German TV interview from the thirteenth. Generous man and great humanitarian, he got right on it with all the help he provided. 

pat wilson
2.1  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    3 weeks ago

Riiiiiggghhhhttt. 

His first response to the tragedy was to establish that his building was now the tallest in NYC (which it wasn't) and he made sure he got a cut of the fund set aside for small businesses that were impacted.

Real hero there, Dean./s

Texan1211
2.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  pat wilson @2.1    3 weeks ago
he made sure he got a cut of the fund set aside for small businesses that were impacted.

Do you mean to say that he applied and met the criteria to receive funds?

And how did HE make sure he got a "cut"?

Did he administer the funds or set the rules for receiving them?

pat wilson
2.1.2  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.1    3 weeks ago

The fact that he took a dime of that grant money is repulsive.

MrFrost
2.1.3  MrFrost  replied to  pat wilson @2.1.2    3 weeks ago
The fact that he took a dime of that grant money is repulsive.

He also took 10k out of his own corrupt fraudulent "charity" so he could buy a picture of....himself. 

Tessylo
2.2  Tessylo  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    3 weeks ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

JohnRussell
2.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    3 weeks ago

Donald Trump claimed, on camera,  to have lost hundreds of friends on 9-11. 

Sep 09, 2016 · Six months after Donald Trump claimed to have lost “hundreds of friends” in the 9/11attacks, his campaign continues to ignore a request from The Daily Beast that he name even one

Trump never attended a single Twin Towers related funeral. 

Tessylo
2.3.1  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @2.3    3 weeks ago

That can't be right.  He doesn't have any friends.  

pat wilson
2.4  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    3 weeks ago

Maybe you missed this:

While he said in the interview that he had “a lot of men” helping out ― roughly 225 total ― PolitiFact was unable to corroborate that claim after researching it earlier this year.

Paula Bartholomew
2.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    3 weeks ago

He probably threw rolls of paper towels like he has done before.

pat wilson
2.5.1  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.5    3 weeks ago

He "was the best thing that ever happened to Puerto Rico" remember ?

Paula Bartholomew
2.5.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  pat wilson @2.5.1    3 weeks ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
2.6  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    3 weeks ago

Hmm, that guy in the middle looks familiar.

pat wilson
2.6.1  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @2.6    3 weeks ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Trout Giggles
2.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    3 weeks ago

Yeah...he didn't get a speck of dirt on his nice, clean, suit, did he, tho?

He's a jackass

Tacos!
3  Tacos!    3 weeks ago

I don't understand this story. It seems to contradict itself.

President Donald Trump said on Monday that he “spent a lot of time” at Ground Zero in the wake of the Sept. 11 terror attacks, resurfacing an old claim he has touted repeatedly without evidence to back it up.

But then they mention evidence that he spent time at Ground Zero in the wake of the attack.

He did, however, appear at Ground Zero.According to an excerpt from local paper Newsday, Trump was interviewed from the scene, having been quoted in a story that ran on Sept. 14.

and . . . 

Trump also spoke to a German TV reporter on Sept. 13 and can be seen standing in Lower Manhattan.

It wouldn't surprise me if it turned out he embellished or even fabricated things about that time. We have certainly seen other people in politics and media do that very thing on a wide variety of topics. I just think it's a little bit weak for the argument to claim there is no evidence while presenting evidence.

pat wilson
3.1  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Tacos! @3    3 weeks ago
He did, however, appear at Ground Zero.According to an excerpt from local paper Newsday, Trump was interviewed from the scene, having been quoted in a story that ran on Sept. 14.
Note, it says he appeared at Ground Zero, not "spent time there"

and . . . 

Trump also spoke to a German TV reporter on Sept. 13 and can be seen standing in Lower Manhattan.
His claims in the German interview were never corroborated 

It wouldn't surprise me if it turned out he embellished or even fabricated things about that time. We have certainly seen other people in politics and media do that very thing on a wide variety of topics. I just think it's a little bit weak for the argument to claim there is no evidence while presenting evidence.

The ole "other people do it too"

Tacos!
3.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  pat wilson @3.1    3 weeks ago
The ole "other people do it too"

If by that you mean I am trying to excuse it, I am not. I said it wouldn't surprise me. The reason it wouldn't surprise me is that lots of people do it.

pat wilson
3.1.2  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Tacos! @3.1.1    3 weeks ago

It would be great if you could cite examples because I can't think of anyone who has gone to this extreme.

Tacos!
3.1.3  Tacos!  replied to  pat wilson @3.1.2    3 weeks ago

Sure, no problem. Here's an good example:

Hillary Clinton calls Bosnia sniper story a mistake

In a speech in Washington and in several interviews last week Clinton described how she and her daughter, Chelsea, ran for cover under hostile fire shortly after her plane landed in Tuzla, Bosnia. Several news outlets disputed the claim and a video of the trip, showed Clinton walking from the plane, accompanied by her daughter. They were greeted by a young girl in a small ceremony on the tarmac and there was no sign of tension or any danger.

And another that leaps to mind:

Richard Blumenthal’s Words on Vietnam Service Differ From History

“We have learned something important since the days that I served in ,” Mr. Blumenthal said to the group gathered in Norwalk in March 2008. “And you exemplify it. Whatever we think about the war, whatever we call it — or — we owe our military men and women unconditional support.” There was one problem: Mr. Blumenthal, a Democrat now running for the United States Senate, never served in Vietnam. He obtained at least five military deferments from 1965 to 1970 and took repeated steps that enabled him to avoid going to war, according to records.

And of course media people do it, too:

BRIAN WILLIAMS APOLOGIZES FOR LYING ABOUT HIS IRAQ HELICOPTER CRASH

Brian Williams has told the story multiple times. During a 2003 reporting trip in Iraq, Williams was riding in a Chinook helicopter that came under R.P.G. fire and required an emergency landing. He most recently told the story on Friday’s NBC Nightly News, during a segment in which he honored the sergeant major who Williams claimed saved his life.

“The story actually started with a terrible moment a dozen years back during the invasion of Iraq when the helicopter we were traveling in was forced down after being hit by an R.P.G.,” Williams said, as images of a battered helicopter flashed on the screen. “Our traveling NBC News team was rescued, surrounded and kept alive by an armor mechanized platoon from the U.S. Army 3rd Infantry.”

The only problem is that the story is not true.

Other soldiers who were actually on the helicopter that was hit and performed an emergency landing posted on Facebook that they didn’t recall Williams or his crew being onboard. They said that Williams arrived approximately an hour after the formation had already landed. Williams promptly acknowledged that they were right, and recanted.

pat wilson
3.1.4  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Tacos! @3.1.3    3 weeks ago

Fair enough but these people, no matter how you feel about them, are not chronic liars.

Tacos!
3.1.5  Tacos!  replied to  pat wilson @3.1.4    3 weeks ago

or they're better at it

Anyway, does it matter? Those aren't examples of stretching the truth a little. Those are whoppers! It's ok cuz they get busted less than Trump?

Trout Giggles
3.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  pat wilson @3.1    3 weeks ago

He appeared, not spent time leads me to think he was there for a photo-op

pat wilson
3.1.7  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Tacos! @3.1.5    3 weeks ago

It's not okay for anyone to lie. Stop with the "others do it to" already.

pat wilson
3.1.8  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.6    3 weeks ago

He was concerned that his building was now the tallest, sick f*ck 

Tacos!
3.1.9  Tacos!  replied to  pat wilson @3.1.7    2 weeks ago
It's not okay for anyone to lie.

Yes, I agree.

Stop with the "others do it to" already.

This has been explained to you. I have already told you I am not trying to excuse anything. Why do you persist? All I said was "I wouldn't be surprised."

But you seem to have an urgent agenda. i.e. you don't seem to like it when I observe that people you might support have done the same thing. Perhaps unlike you, I am willing to acknowledge that many people in the public eye are full of shit. I'm not into the hero worship.

Ozzwald
3.1.10  Ozzwald  replied to  pat wilson @3.1    2 weeks ago
He did, however, appear at Ground Zero.According to an excerpt from local paper Newsday, Trump was interviewed from the scene, having been quoted in a story that ran on Sept. 14. Trump also spoke to a German TV reporter on Sept. 13 and can be seen standing in Lower Manhattan.

Trump was never one to miss a photo op.  The only way he'd do any work would be if someone told him he could keep, for free, any Big Macs he dug up.

XDm9mm
4  XDm9mm    3 weeks ago
Trump claimed that he watched from his apartment as people leapt from the crumbling towers and that he witnessed the second plane coming in. Since Trump Tower is located in midtown,more than four miles away from where the World Trade Center stood, it’s highly unlikely Trump could have seen the destruction from his window.

Pretty pathetic "reporting".

First, Trump didn't claim to have seen anything from his apartment window.

Second, I was in Pittsburgh PA at the time, about 375 miles away, and guess what spanky, I saw people jumping from the tower and the second plane as it flew into the building.   I saw it all on TV, like the vast majority of America and the world did.

I knew people that died and a couple of relatives through marriage died there.

I was at ground zero several days later while the smoke was still rising from the ruins.

We passed the trucks bringing the to the Staten Island Landfill (Great kills) the vehicles (crushed fire apparatus and police vehicles) and removed building debris as we went the other way to get to my mom and check on her.

pat wilson
4.1  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  XDm9mm @4    3 weeks ago

And your point is ?

XDm9mm
4.1.1  XDm9mm  replied to  pat wilson @4.1    3 weeks ago
And your point is ?

It was the first three words after the "quoted" piece of the article.

It's just another hate Trump hit piece by the the Trump Haters of America.

MrFrost
4.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.1    3 weeks ago

Is the article wrong? 

XDm9mm
4.1.3  XDm9mm  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.2    3 weeks ago
Is the article wrong? 

Is it right?

I've already successfully challenged one of their assertions.

pat wilson
4.1.4  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.3    3 weeks ago
I've already successfully challenged one of their assertions.

Which one ?

XDm9mm
4.1.5  XDm9mm  replied to  pat wilson @4.1.4    3 weeks ago
Which one ?

You quite obviously did not read my initial post.  So, for your edification I will repeat it.  Just for you.

Trump claimed that he watched from his apartment as people leapt from the crumbling towers and that he witnessed the second plane coming in. Since Trump Tower is located in midtown, more than four miles away from where the World Trade Center stood, it’s highly unlikely Trump could have seen the destruction from his window.

My response which refuted the ASSERTION is as follows:

Second, I was in Pittsburgh PA at the time, about 375 miles away, and guess what spanky, I saw people jumping from the tower and the second plane as it flew into the building.   I saw it all on TV, like the vast majority of America and the world did.

So, can you refute what I stated?  Or better yet, can you validate the CLAIM by the articles author?

pat wilson
4.1.6  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.5    3 weeks ago

I'll stand by the article, author and her sources before I consider your emotional assertions.

Validate that.

XDm9mm
4.1.7  XDm9mm  replied to  pat wilson @4.1.6    3 weeks ago
Validate that.

Prove he did.  It was NOT, allow me to say that again, just for you, IT WAS NOT noted in any way in the article.  

The writer made an unsubstantiated and unsupported ASSertion.

pat wilson
4.1.8  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.5    3 weeks ago

Here you go:

https://www.cnn.com/2015/11/23/politics/donald-trump-9-11-twin-towers/

It's right in the beginning of the video.

luther28
4.1.9  luther28  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.5    3 weeks ago
"Trump claimed that he watched from his apartment as people leapt from the crumbling towers and that he witnessed the second plane coming in. Since Trump Tower is located in midtown, more than four miles away from where the World Trade Center stood, it’s highly unlikely Trump could have seen the destruction from his window."
While he did not claim to have been there, here is something else he saw sitting in his apartment. I suppose he has visions.

Fact-checking Trump's claim that thousands in New Jersey cheered ...

https://www.politifact.com/.../statements/...trump/fact-checking-trumps-claim-thousan...
Claim: "I watched in Jersey City, N.J., where thousands and thousands of people were cheering" as the World Trade Center collapsed.
Claimed by: Donald Trump
Fact check by PolitiFact: Pants on Fire

Tessylo
4.1.10  Tessylo  replied to  pat wilson @4.1.8    3 weeks ago

Funny how he disappeared after you proved him wrong.  

MrFrost
5  MrFrost    3 weeks ago

Trump said, on the morning of 9/11, that he saw thousands and thousands of Muslims celebrating on the roof tops. He also claimed he saw it all on TV. News stations keep news footage for YEARS on end, and not one news agency has any such footage. He also claims that many people saw the footage on TV like he did, but can't seem to name even one person. 

Once again, trump played to his base and stoked the anti-Muslim rhetoric... I am not sure what's more sad; that he actually said it, or that people actually believed him..

https://www.businessinsider.com/chuck-todd-donald-trump-9-11-2015-11

lib50
5.1  lib50  replied to  MrFrost @5    3 weeks ago
I am not sure what's more sad; that he actually said it, or that people actually believed him..

I'm starting to blame his sycophants and apologists.  We see them here.  They have no problem with his pathological lying or racist behavior.  While they occasionally say they don't think it was the best way to say it, they then go the 'yea but' route and twist themselves into pretzels trying to re-explain 'what he really meant'.  And then go try to pretend his lies are truth.  I'm to the point their Trump support is enough to bind them to his racism, hate, lying and treason forever.   They don't care because a few corporate elite got a big tax cut and Trump is locking up the brown.  No more catering to that bullshit. 

pat wilson
5.1.1  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  lib50 @5.1    3 weeks ago

The apologies are so tiresome.

luther28
6  luther28    3 weeks ago

Liar!

r.t..b...
6.1  r.t..b...  replied to  luther28 @6    3 weeks ago
Liar!

Manufactured valor.

luther28
6.1.1  luther28  replied to  r.t..b... @6.1    3 weeks ago

A much nicer label than mine.

r.t..b...
6.1.2  r.t..b...  replied to  luther28 @6.1.1    3 weeks ago
A much nicer label than mine.

Liar! serves well as the catchall phrase. Other adjectives can be added to describe each particular despicable act. He is one fractured piece of work.