╌>

Border Patrol Detained a 9-Year-Old American Girl on Her Way to School for 32 Hours

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  5 years ago  •  30 comments

Border Patrol Detained a 9-Year-Old American Girl on Her Way to School for 32 Hours

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

U.S.

e0fa0b80-4930-11e6-b906-8fd8d05e2343_64x   Luke Darby, GQ   15 hours ago  

American teen detained by U.S. immigration officials for over three weeks

Last Monday, the   Dallas Morning News   broke the story of Francisco Erwin Galicia, an 18-year-old U.S. citizen who was detained by Customs and Border Protection (CPB), transferred to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), and held in custody for  nearly three weeks . ICE held Galicia even though he had documents on him that proved he was born in Texas. But by Tuesday afternoon, a little over 24 hours after the   Morning News’ s story came out, Galicia went free.

As the   Morning News   reports , Galicia’s detention "appears to have been a bureaucratic mix up," caused by an application for a Mexican visa to visit the U.S. filled out in his name. Galicia told the paper that he was held with 60 other men and not allowed to shower for the 23 days he was held, and by the time he was released he had lost 26 pounds. "It was inhumane how they treated us," he said. "It got to the point where I was ready to sign a deportation paper just to not be suffering there anymore. I just needed to get out of there."

The broad strokes of Galicia’s story, a U.S. citizen held by immigration authorities and threatened with deportation because of paperwork, is shockingly common. Peter Sean Brown, a  Philadelphia man  with the same name as an immigrant, was held for weeks and nearly deported to Jamaica. Officials weren’t swayed by his state-issued IDs that are only available to people with social security numbers. And in March of this year, 9-year-old Julia Medina was detained by CBP for 32 hours despite her being a U.S. citizen.

65bee13e10da5eaf5e0762b2167f0499 Border Patrol Detained a 9-Year-Old American Girl on Her Way to School for 32 Hours

Though she’s an American, Medina’s family lives in Tijuana, and they cross the border each morning to get to school. On a Monday morning, CBP detained her and her 14-year-old brother, Oscar, saying she didn’t look like the photo in her passport, according to  NBC San Diego . CBP said the elementary student, who was questioned without her parents present, "provided inconsistent information during her inspection." The agency reportedly had no explanation for why it took 32 hours to confirm her citizenship and release her, though in that time they accused her brother, who is also a U.S. citizen, of human smuggling and tried to have him sign a document saying  his sister was his cousin . Medina was finally released after her mother pleaded with the Mexican consulate to contact U.S. immigration authorities.

In all of these cases, Galicia, Brown, and Medina had paperwork on them that proved they were U.S. citizens when they were apprehended. But clearly that wasn’t enough to prevent detention by an administration that views  non-white people  as suspicious. If a passport isn’t enough to prove citizenship, it’s not clear what people can do to avoid getting detained by ICE or CBP.

47549a8cf6e3b2d88514ee5d5de84fd9

Originally Appeared on  GQ

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

Last Monday, the   Dallas Morning News   broke the story of Francisco Erwin Galicia, an 18-year-old U.S. citizen who was detained by Customs and Border Protection (CPB), transferred to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), and held in custody for  nearly three weeks . ICE held Galicia even though he had documents on him that proved he was born in Texas. But by Tuesday afternoon, a little over 24 hours after the   Morning News’ s story came out, Galicia went free.

As the   Morning News   reports , Galicia’s detention "appears to have been a bureaucratic mix up," caused by an application for a Mexican visa to visit the U.S. filled out in his name. Galicia told the paper that he was held with 60 other men and not allowed to shower for the 23 days he was held, and by the time he was released he had lost 26 pounds. "It was inhumane how they treated us," he said. "It got to the point where I was ready to sign a deportation paper just to not be suffering there anymore. I just needed to get out of there."

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Tessylo @1    5 years ago

ICE.  Trump's jack booted thugs.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
2  luther28    5 years ago

We are becoming a bit more Kafkaesque by the day.

As someone we all know would say, sad.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4  Jasper2529    5 years ago
Last Monday, the   Dallas Morning News   broke the story of Francisco Erwin Galicia, an 18-year-old U.S. citizen who was detained by Customs and Border Protection (CPB), transferred to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), and held in custody for  nearly three weeks

Yahoo should have gotten its facts and timeline straight before publishing its article yesterday, July 29. Mr. Galicia was cleared to leave last week. The mix-up was caused by his mother, Sanjuana Galicia, who is an illegal alien.

Texas-born  U.S. citizen was released Tuesday from  Immigration and Customs Enforcement  custody after being  wrongfully detained  for more than three weeks due to a mix-up of his documents, his lawyer said.

The teen’s mother, Sanjuana Galicia, is an undocumented immigrant. Galan said that agents may have suspected the teen's documents were fraudulent based on previous documents his mother took out in his name. When the teen was still a minor, his mother took out a U.S. tourist visa in his name, falsely saying on the document that her son was born in Mexico, thinking it would make it easier for him to travel there to visit family, she said.

His mother also said that when her son was born, she gave him a different name, the Washington Post reported. She was never able to get her son a U.S. passport because the name on his birth certificate did not match other documents, she said.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jasper2529 @4    5 years ago

Immigration still fucked up. They detained the legal citizen but forgot to arrest the illegal immigrant

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

Fuck 'faux news' the propaganda network for the shitstain/shithole of a 'president'

I don't trust them as a source.  I leave that to the shitstain/shithole supporters.  

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Tessylo @5    5 years ago

The facts posted in the links of comment 4 are those provided by Francisco Erwin Galicia's lawyer and mother to media, including WaPo. Our approval or disapproval of those facts aren't important.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.1    5 years ago

Don't believe it.  

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.1.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.1    5 years ago
Don't believe it. 

It's good to know that we shouldn't believe Francisco's mother, his lawyer, and the Washington Post.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.1.2    5 years ago
'Immigration still fucked up. They detained the legal citizen but forgot to arrest the illegal immigrant'
Which part of that don't you get?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.1.4  Jasper2529  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.3    5 years ago
'Immigration still fucked up. They detained the legal citizen but forgot to arrest the illegal immigrant'
Which part of that don't you get?

Tessy, you'll have to ask Trout Giggles, because she, not I, made the comment you block quoted and now question. Please see comment 4.1 - you even gave that comment a "thumbs up" approval.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.1.2    5 years ago
It's good to know that we shouldn't believe Francisco's mother, his lawyer, and the Washington Post.

It is clearly apparent that some sources are unacceptable because they don't reinforce predetermined opinions.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.6  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.1.4    5 years ago

[Deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.7  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.5    5 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.7    5 years ago
You just can't stay away can you?

I can, but choose not to.

I'm not flattered.

[Deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.9  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.8    5 years ago

You just can't. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.9    5 years ago
You just can't.

Prove it!

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.1.11  Jasper2529  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.6    5 years ago
I was just quoting her.  

Yes, you quoted Trout's comment 4.1 - however , that still doesn't explain why you attributed Trout's comment to me when you wrongly asked me, "Which part of that don't you get?" in your comment 5.1.3 . Time to move on.

Both people in your seed were released before Yahoo's breaking news , and I hope that Francisco and his mother learned that they can't alter names and nationalities at will on legal documents without facing consequences.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.12  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.1.11    5 years ago

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.13  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.10    5 years ago
'You just can't'
'Prove it!'

You just did

Tessylo
Professor Principal