9 dead, 16 injured in shooting in Dayton, Ohio

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  2 weeks ago  •  123 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Multiple Dayton police officers took down the shooter, according to police.

Author: TEGNA Staff, KVUE (abc)

Published: 3:29 AM CDT August 4, 2019

Updated: 3:38 AM CDT August 4, 2019

Nine people were killed and at least 16 people were injured after a mass shooting in Dayton, Ohio, early Sunday morning, according to the Dayton Police Department. The alleged shooter was killed by responding police.

It happened in the city's Oregon District in downtown Dayton. A witness said they heard 20 to 30 shots around 1 a.m., according to WDTN.

Dayton Police Lt. Col. Matt Carper said investigators are looking at the possibility that other people were involved, but initial indications were that only one person was responsible for the shooting. 

The shooter has not been identified. Carper said it was not immediately clear what the motive was.

RELATED: 20 dead, 26 wounded in El Paso shooting; suspect in custody

RELATED: Nonprofit marks El Paso shooting as 250th mass shooting in the U.S. for 2019

Carper said that a "long gun" was used in the shooting and that multiple rounds were fired. 

Multiple Dayton police officers took down the shooter, according to Carper.

The shooting came less than 24 hours after a mass shooting at an El Paso, Texas, Walmart in which at least 20 people were killed and 26 were injured.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
Find text within the comments Find 

Buzz of the Orient
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    2 weeks ago

Nonprofit marks El Paso shooting as 250th mass shooting in the U.S. for 2019

250 mass shootings (at least 4 people shot) in 210 or so days.  This Dayton shooting was on the same day as the El Paso shooting.  2 a day now?

Thrawn 31
1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    2 weeks ago

USA, USA, USA!

Thrawn 31
2  Thrawn 31    2 weeks ago

Yawn, oh well. Let's bust out the thoughts and prayers, let people and politicians pretend like they give a shit and then just wait for the next one, which will probably be a little bit later on today. And just think folks, school shooting season is once again almost upon us, we ain't seen nothing yet!

MUVA
2.1  MUVA  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2    2 weeks ago

I guess the answer is to take law abiding citizens property that have had nothing to do with any shooting.

Thrawn 31
2.1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  MUVA @2.1    2 weeks ago

No, clearly the answer is thoughts and prayers. They have been so effective thus far, it would be silly not to just double down. 

If we just think and pray a little harder...

MUVA
2.1.2  MUVA  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.1    2 weeks ago

I don't pray nor am I religious. I can tell you for sure taking people's property will not help but might make self righteous people feel better.

Dean Moriarty
2.1.3  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.1    2 weeks ago

Now let’s look at the data. The number of guns has greatly increased in the last 40 years but the murder rate is now 48% lower than it was at its peak in 1980. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-u-s-murder-rate-is-up-but-still-far-below-its-1980-peak/

Thrawn 31
2.1.4  Thrawn 31  replied to  MUVA @2.1.2    2 weeks ago

So of course, do nothing. The usual.

Just glad I am sending my daughter to a school where you have to be buzzed in through 2 sets of doors to be able to get in, what with school shooting season about to start again. 

Thrawn 31
2.1.5  Thrawn 31  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2.1.3    2 weeks ago

And that has what to do with mass shootings? 

MUVA
2.1.6  MUVA  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.4    2 weeks ago

Taking law abiding citizens property will not fix this problem.

Thrawn 31
2.1.7  Thrawn 31  replied to  MUVA @2.1.6    2 weeks ago

Severely limiting access has seemed to work for every other advanced nation. A mass shooting in every other advanced nation is an actual newsworthy event, here unless the body count exceeds 10 we don't pay attention to it for more than an hour or two. That is if it even makes the news at all.

Anyhow, I'm done pretending to be interested in this anymore, we may as well be talking about the weather (boring ass topic).

r.t..b...
2.1.8  r.t..b...  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.4    2 weeks ago
to a school where you have to be buzzed in through 2 sets of doors to be able to get in, what with school shooting season about to start again. 

Where kids, five-year olds mind you, will be subject to shelter-in-place drills. Teaching is a difficult enough task...how do you begin to explain that we are subject to danger simply because we are in a school. Not a great motivational tool. It should be, but tragically will never again be, a safe haven. 

r.t..b...
2.1.9  r.t..b...  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.7    2 weeks ago
I'm done pretending to be interested in this anymore, we may as well be talking about the weather

It is difficult to comprehend the resignation that is part and parcel to every mass murder. The tried and true bromides will be once again trotted out, with nary a care about the actual carnage taking place. The minute we lose interest, is the minute we surrender. Contact your representative, State and Federal, stay engaged, and don't let our apathy allow this to continue. And don't for a second let the comments on venues such as this dissuade you...the apologists you come across here are inflated in number compared to those in the real world.

MrFrost
2.1.10  MrFrost  replied to  MUVA @2.1    2 weeks ago

So 29 people were just murdered in less than 24 hours for no reason at all, and you are worried about losing your "property"? 

Wow. 

That's like a person watching you drown in a river and saying, "I would help but I don't want to get my shoes wet". 

MrFrost
2.1.11  MrFrost  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2.1.3    2 weeks ago
The number of guns has greatly increased in the last 40 years

I am sure that is a real comfort to the families of the 29 murdered in the last 24 hours. 

MrFrost
2.1.12  MrFrost  replied to  MUVA @2.1.6    2 weeks ago

Taking law abiding citizens property will not fix this problem.

Well, thoughts and prayers isn't fucking working very well, is it? 

loki12
2.1.13  loki12  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.10    2 weeks ago

No that’s nothing like that. What that is, is pointing out that taking the guns from responsible citizens or preventing them from acquiring certain types of guns won’t prevent this.

What he is saying IMO is that the gun grabbing retards don’t care about people’s rights, only control and agenda.

Show us how smart you are, how does preventing honest law abiding Americans from having guns prevent dickheads from committing mass murder?

WallyW
2.1.14  WallyW  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.4    2 weeks ago

So of course, do nothing. The usual.

Do what? Yet more gun laws?

Most schools remain unsecured. Armed guards are forbidden

Walmart needs guards instead of greeters

r.t..b...
2.1.15  r.t..b...  replied to  loki12 @2.1.13    2 weeks ago
how does preventing honest law abiding Americans from having guns prevent dickheads from committing mass murder?

Hey Loki. As a law abiding citizen are you willing to submit to a thorough background check, say an appropriate waiting period as required to exclude those adjudicated of a violent crime, assault, or domestic violence from the purchase of a weapon? No registration, just a background check? It may be a starting point for an issue we can all agree needs addressed.

MrFrost
2.1.16  MrFrost  replied to  loki12 @2.1.13    2 weeks ago
What that is, is pointing out that taking the guns from responsible citizens or preventing them from acquiring certain types of guns won’t prevent this.

ALL gun owners are responsible until they aren't! 

Show us how smart you are, how does preventing honest law abiding Americans from having guns prevent dickheads from committing mass murder?

We are the only country on the planet with more guns than people and we have one of the highest homicide rates in the world, (we are out flanked by third world shitholes that we would EXPECT to have high crime rates). The, "more guns means less crime" BS has not worked. The, "good guy with a gun" BS has not worked. El Paso shooting was in fucking TEXAS, OPEN CARRY and concealed carry in the state with LOTS of guns, (The governor even complained that Texas was 2nd in gun purchases and asked the people of Texas to buy MORE guns). Yet this kid walked into a wal-mart and blew away 20 fucking people. Where exactly was that good guy with a gun? Either dead or hiding behind children is my guess. But yes, lets throw some more "thoughts and prayers" at the problem. 

Tell ya what... Why not stick with thoughts and prayers to get that border wall built since they are clearly good enough to protect the American people from mass shootings. 

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
2.1.17  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  r.t..b... @2.1.15    2 weeks ago

You can ban whatever you want and like heroin I'll be able to buy it on your street, in your neighborhood without a background check.

sandy-2021492
2.1.18  sandy-2021492  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.16    2 weeks ago

Even in the Dayton shooting, where there were good guys with guns,  nine innocent lives were lost. Police took down the shooter quickly, but you can spray a lot of bullets into a crowd in 60 seconds.

MrFrost
2.1.19  MrFrost  replied to  WallyW @2.1.14    2 weeks ago
Most schools remain unsecured. Armed guards are forbidden

So you think we should rework the entire country just so people can say they have a weapon that literally has no purpose OTHER than killing people? 

Sorry, doubt that the founding fathers would approve of that. 

loki12
2.1.20  loki12  replied to  r.t..b... @2.1.15    2 weeks ago
  • Of course, I always try to plan ahead, 10 days 30 days it makes no difference to me, it’s the retards that blame the tools for the actions of the individual that irritate me. The are emotional simpletons.

Here are a couple ideas,

Make it mandatory, for police departments to update NCIC, so crimes can’t fall through the cracks, background checks are only as good as the info.

Pick a “Cooling of Period” once you pass the background check, 30 days is fine with me, if your not responsible enough to plan that far ahead, to bad, one exemption on waiting, domestic abuse, waived for The abused, once the pass a background check.

No more anonymity, no electronic privacy, any law enforcement at any time can get you info, no warrant, this way when these guys post there screeds online, you have instant access to them.

Make the fines crushing for any who don’t comply, no more apple refusing to cooperate, or 8chan or 4chan or where ever this dickheads congregate to spill their hate.

r.t..b...
2.1.21  r.t..b...  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @2.1.17    2 weeks ago
You can ban whatever you want and like heroin I'll be able to buy it on your street, in your neighborhood without a background check.

Not naive about that. It is passed time to pass legislation and if those selling and purchasing weapons on the 'street' are comprehended for such, persecute them to the fullest extent of the law. Start doing something for all our sake.

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
2.1.22  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  r.t..b... @2.1.21    2 weeks ago

We could declare a war on gun violence and have a new department and even a gun czar....

That always works

r.t..b...
2.1.23  r.t..b...  replied to  loki12 @2.1.20    2 weeks ago
Here are a couple ideas,

Well stated. Thank you as always...though coming from a different, yet rational perspective. Here's to starting a similar dialogue on the national scale.

r.t..b...
2.1.24  r.t..b...  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @2.1.22    2 weeks ago
We could declare a war on gun violence and have a new department and even a gun czar....

Nugent or Cheney? A shoot-off my not be the best of ideas. 

loki12
2.1.25  loki12  replied to  r.t..b... @2.1.23    2 weeks ago

We definitely need to get to the root of the problem, it’s not the guns, it’s the people. We Probably had a greater number of people owning before without these problems, what changed? And how do we correct it?

Blaming the tool for a bad result is what idiots do. But then again, the idiots are always the ones that scream the loudest.

loki12
2.1.26  loki12  replied to  r.t..b... @2.1.23    2 weeks ago

PS. I really don’t care if the government maintained a registration. With large fines/jail for owners who don’t report stolen weapons and sell weapons without going through a FFL dealer, so a background check can be performed, I don’t care if it’s good old cousin Timmy.

r.t..b...
2.1.27  r.t..b...  replied to  loki12 @2.1.25    2 weeks ago
Blaming the tool for a bad result is what idiots do. But then again, the idiots are always the ones that scream the loudest.

Well then, call me an idiot. At least I am still alive as I respond. Though I may go shopping today, or see a movie, or do any thing that you and I do in the course of doing everything that everyday life entails. Having to say that should concern even the most entrenched of ideologues. Hopefully, more meaningless thoughts and prayers will not be directed to your community today.

loki12
2.1.28  loki12  replied to  r.t..b... @2.1.27    2 weeks ago

Do you really blame the gun for the action of the individual? 

r.t..b...
2.1.29  r.t..b...  replied to  loki12 @2.1.28    2 weeks ago
Do you really blame the gun for the action of the individual? 

Do you really believe we do not have a gun problem? 

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
2.1.30  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  loki12 @2.1.28    2 weeks ago

It's important to cover this issue with your guns. Talk to them and tell them it's not their fault.

loki12
2.1.31  loki12  replied to  r.t..b... @2.1.29    2 weeks ago

An inanimate object is to blame? No we don’t have a gun problem, we have an idiot problem, we didn’t have a fertilizer/fuel oil problem in Oak city, we didn’t have a plan problem on 911 and we didn’t have a car problem in Charlottesville, we had idiot problems.

Blaming any inanimate object for the actions of an individual makes no sense, and will do nothing to solve the issue.

r.t..b...
2.1.32  r.t..b...  replied to  loki12 @2.1.31    2 weeks ago
Blaming any inanimate object for the actions of an individual makes no sense, and will do nothing to solve the issue.

With all due respect, then let us do everything legislatively possible to remove the inaminate object too many have chosen as their inaminate object of choice to fulfill their senseless acts. Doing so will not impact a concerned law abiding citizen individual in any sane and contextually reasonable way.

Split Personality
2.1.33  Split Personality  replied to  WallyW @2.1.14    2 weeks ago

In the fucking parking lot?  Get real, WallyW.

r.t..b...
2.1.34  r.t..b...  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @2.1.30    2 weeks ago
Talk to them and tell them it's not their fault.

Rather they resort to fisticuffs as in a previous thread. A bloodied nose vs. scores dead and injured. The former we can and have made light of, the latter is sadly just another day of hand-wringing in which no one should take comfort.

loki12
2.1.35  loki12  replied to  r.t..b... @2.1.32    2 weeks ago

You want to see a blood bath of epic proportions, try that.

So you aren’t about reasonable steps? It’s that whole second amendment thing, I think people should have to post all their personal information in their profiles. There is no way the founding fathers could anticipate the internet. 

r.t..b...
2.1.36  r.t..b...  replied to  loki12 @2.1.35    2 weeks ago
You want to see a blood bath of epic proportions, try that

The saddest statement of all. Where we are headed...I'm headed elsewhere.

Split Personality
2.1.37  Split Personality  replied to  WallyW @2.1.14    2 weeks ago

Comment spamming WallyW?

You do realize that Texas is a licensed open carry state, right?

loki12
2.1.38  loki12  replied to  r.t..b... @2.1.36    2 weeks ago

So the truth is now sad? That is what I find sad. Let’s ignore the truth, because it’s sad, inconvenient, or doesn’t fit a political agenda. Talk about sad.

Kathleen
2.1.39  Kathleen  replied to  r.t..b... @2.1.27    2 weeks ago

So if you don’t want people expressing their condolences, besides taking away guns, what would you expect someone to do? You can give blood if you are close, money to the Red Cross, and talk to your family and friends about trying to be aware of your surroundings. Some people live far away, others really think a prayer may help. Remember, to them.... they are trying to mean well. 

Paula Bartholomew
2.1.40  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  MUVA @2.1.6    2 weeks ago

You would not give a child a dangerous toy.  Some adults need their dangerous toys taken away also.  In the case of both shooters, if any more guns are found at their house(s), would you have a problem with it, considering what they have done?

MUVA
2.1.41  MUVA  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1.40    2 weeks ago

I don't have a problem taking guns from criminals or denying gun to someone that is deemed mentally.

bugsy
2.1.42  bugsy  replied to  r.t..b... @2.1.29    2 weeks ago
Do you really believe we do not have a gun problem? 

No, we don't. We have a people who should not have guns, have guns" problem.

The guns are harmless without those people.

Buzz of the Orient
2.1.43  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1.18    2 weeks ago

Please explain to me what you mean by "none innocent lives were lost".  Are you saying all those who were shot and killed were criminals?

sandy-2021492
2.1.44  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.43    2 weeks ago

No, it was a typo.  Nine.  Thanks for pointing it out.

TTGA
2.1.45  TTGA  replied to  r.t..b... @2.1.15    2 weeks ago
No registration, just a background check?

There can be no effective requirement for a background check without the weapon being registered.  Without registration, background checks for private sales will simply be laughed at since it would be impossible to prove when the weapon was purchased.  The only way to be sure that the check was done would be to require all sales to be run through a dealer.  Without registration, that requirement too would be ignored (no way to get a conviction).

Buzz of the Orient
2.1.46  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1.44    2 weeks ago

Okay. Fixed it for you.

sandy-2021492
2.1.47  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.46    2 weeks ago

Thanks.

MrFrost
3  MrFrost    2 weeks ago

Remember when we were worried about Muslims terrorists? Now we have to worry about American domestic white supremacist acts of terrorism. 

WallyW
3.1  WallyW  replied to  MrFrost @3    2 weeks ago

Most mass shooters have been left wingers.

MrFrost
3.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  WallyW @3.1    2 weeks ago

As usual, incorrect. 

r.t..b...
3.1.2  r.t..b...  replied to  WallyW @3.1    2 weeks ago

The mass shooters could give a fuck...obviously. They are fractured individuals who chose to take their frustrations out on innocent individuals for whatever demons they were losing to. How about we address their choice of mass murder as that seems to be the only common denominator. 

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
3.1.3  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  WallyW @3.1    2 weeks ago

The mass shooting fetish crowd fakes empathy for victims while they hope the shooter propels their political narrative.

They are celebrating the shooting on CNN and MSNBC.

It's disgusting.

MrFrost
3.1.5  MrFrost  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @3.1.3    2 weeks ago
They are celebrating the shooting on CNN and MSNBC.

Proof? Link? I am watching CNN right now, not seeing any celebrations. 

Split Personality
3.1.6  Split Personality  replied to  WallyW @3.1    2 weeks ago

While your trolling, could you provide some proof of your opinion?

Split Personality
3.1.7  Split Personality  replied to  MrFrost @3.1.5    2 weeks ago

Fox, Msnbc & CNN all canceled their regular programming and ran whatever they could find on the El Paso story until at least

11PM last night.. Nothing I saw could be described as celebratory. But hey that's just our opini'on, right?

MrFrost
3.1.8  MrFrost  replied to  Split Personality @3.1.7    2 weeks ago

I am well aware, I was responding to trolling. 

sandy-2021492
3.1.9  sandy-2021492  replied to  MrFrost @3.1.8    2 weeks ago

I'm pretty sure SP was agreeing with you, and meant that to be tongue-in-cheek.

Paula Bartholomew
3.1.10  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  MrFrost @3.1.5    2 weeks ago

Maybe they are the same thousands that danced in the streets after 9/11 that never existed except in Trump's demented imagination.

MrFrost
3.1.11  MrFrost  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.9    2 weeks ago
I'm pretty sure SP was agreeing with you, and meant that to be tongue-in-cheek.

I know, I just felt odd putting a ":)" on an article like this. 

MrFrost
3.1.12  MrFrost  replied to  Split Personality @3.1.7    2 weeks ago

As a cord cutter, I am for the most part stuck with CNN for live news coverage. I can get MSNBC but have to jump through hoops to get it done. 

Split Personality
3.1.13  Split Personality  replied to  MrFrost @3.1.12    2 weeks ago

The most significant difference between Fox and the other networks ( besides today's Trent Gowdy pontifications on FOX this afternoon)

was that Fox insists on describing the Dayton killer's weapon as a .223 rifle, while MSNBC, CNN and PBS call it an AR 15 or variant.

bugsy
3.1.14  bugsy  replied to  Split Personality @3.1.13    2 weeks ago
Fox insists on describing the Dayton killer's weapon as a .223 rifle

Because during one of the updates given by Dayton's sheriff, where a slide presentation and audio and video of the shooting was given, one of the slides specifically said .223 rifle. The sheriff read directly from the slide and said exactly what was on it.

Maybe CNN and MSDNC were giving out wrong info? Would not surprise anyone.

MrFrost
4  MrFrost    2 weeks ago

bugsy
4.1  bugsy  replied to  MrFrost @4    2 weeks ago

The US has 330 million plus people in this country.

Now, compare that number to the population to all the countries you listed. They have a small percentage of the population of the US. Also, most of those countries are socialist in nature, and have bans on most firearms.

Maybe a link to your meme?

Kathleen
5  Kathleen    2 weeks ago

This could take a psychological effect on some people. They may not go out to public places.  It would not effect me because I think you should live your life but it will become a domino situation.

29 people have lost their lives in less then 24 hours.  Many more injured, it’s getting worse and worse.

Paula Bartholomew
5.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Kathleen @5    2 weeks ago

I am not much of a shopper but if I were, I would not go near a mall these days.

Kathleen
5.1.1  Kathleen  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.1    2 weeks ago

I am suppose to go to the mall next week.  It will be in my mind, that’s for sure..

Paula Bartholomew
5.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Kathleen @5.1.1    2 weeks ago

Just be vigilant of your surroundings.

MrFrost
6  MrFrost    2 weeks ago

MrFrost
7  MrFrost    2 weeks ago

Obviously, more guns is the answer... /s

Kathleen
8  Kathleen    2 weeks ago

I blame the asshole that pulled the trigger.

NO ONE ELSE.

loki12
8.1  loki12  replied to  Kathleen @8    2 weeks ago

Yes! This exactly!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
8.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  loki12 @8.1    2 weeks ago

Then the US has an outstanding number of assholes. That means there is something really wrong with the American psyche. 

loki12
8.1.2  loki12  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @8.1.1    2 weeks ago

Yes, we absolutely have an asshole problem. the percentage of people who owned guns was higher 100 years ago, not the number of guns, but households that owned guns.

Something changed, the rapid ability to exchange hate online? The breakdown of the family? Relying on mind altering drugs for our kids instead of behavioral modification? Pick one or any combination of the above.

Kathleen
8.1.3  Kathleen  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @8.1.1    2 weeks ago

It’s a combination of hatred, mental illness, no family support for some. Being a loner with no friends or just a sick twisted mind. It’s a problem that is so difficult to pinpoint and solve. Many don’t seek help or think they have no problem.  That is where we need to focus and it’s very hard.

Kathleen
8.1.4  Kathleen  replied to  loki12 @8.1.2    2 weeks ago

You can take away all the tools for a quick fix,  but the brain is the real problem. A complex situation that is going on.

Buzz of the Orient
8.1.5  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kathleen @8.1.3    2 weeks ago

I really wonder, Kathleen, if most other countries in the world have the same "people" problems as the USA, whether it be mental illness, alienation, etc. and if so, then that is NOT (as argued by the apologists here) the problem.  What is it about the USA that differs from other countries?   Let's face reality - it's the 2nd Amendment, the power of the NRA and the dedicated gun owners, and, unfortunately, the number of guns in so many people's hands already.

Kathleen
8.1.6  Kathleen  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1.5    2 weeks ago

So what do you suggest?

Buzz of the Orient
8.1.7  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kathleen @8.1.6    2 weeks ago

It's too late, and due to the Second Amendment, impossible to accomplish what Australia has done and New Zealand is now doing.  Judging just from the comments made on any gun and/or shooting articles there is no way that would ever be accomplished, so just look to the exact opposite direction.  Give guns to everybody, even school kids, make open carry mandatory, so now EVERYONE is in a position to SHOOT BACK, and that way it may be possible to reduce the number of crazies and terrorists and would-be fame seekers or even eliminate them.  Then the USA can enjoy its temporary peace waiting for the next person to go insane. Otherwise nothing is going to change and the pro and anti gun arguments can continue until eventually there's nobody left to argue about it. 

Paula Bartholomew
8.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Kathleen @8    2 weeks ago

Still, cause and effect have to be examined.

sandy-2021492
9  sandy-2021492    2 weeks ago

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/police-investigate-active-shooter-incident-dayton-ohio-n1039046

A senior law enforcement official told NBC News the gunman in the Dayton shooting was a 24-year-old white male named Connor Betts. Authorities have not officially identified the shooter or released a possible motive. “We certainly are not in the shooter’s head, but he was wearing body armor and had extra magazines,” Whaley said, adding that the suspect was carrying a .223-caliber rifle.

sandy-2021492
9.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9    2 weeks ago

His sister is among the victims.

Paula Bartholomew
9.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9.1    2 weeks ago

Was it the sister of the LEO or the murderer?

sandy-2021492
9.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @9.1.1    2 weeks ago

The murderer.

GregTx
9.1.3  GregTx  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9.1    2 weeks ago

Good Lord. Now I can't help but to wonder if she was the target or whether it was just fate that she was there.

sandy-2021492
9.1.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  GregTx @9.1.3    2 weeks ago

I'm not sure which would be more tragic.

MrFrost
9.1.5  MrFrost  replied to  GregTx @9.1.3    2 weeks ago
Good Lord. Now I can't help but to wonder if she was the target or whether it was just fate that she was there.

I am wondering the same thing Greg, at this point could be a combination of the two. Sadly, we will likely never know. Maybe she stole his Brittany Spears record collection...

Paula Bartholomew
9.1.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9.1.2    2 weeks ago

OMG, how horrible for their family.

sandy-2021492
9.1.7  sandy-2021492  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @9.1.6    2 weeks ago

I can't imagine what they're going through.

GregTx
9.1.8  GregTx  replied to  MrFrost @9.1.5    2 weeks ago

"at this point could be a combination of the two."

I just don't see how that could be possible given how he was prepared. Body armor? Extra magazines? In my opinion, either he knew she was there and felt that she deserved his insane rage or she was at the wrong place at the wrong time when her brother snapped. I doubt it was over a CD collection, but nowadays who knows?

Split Personality
9.1.9  Split Personality  replied to  GregTx @9.1.3    2 weeks ago

They all came in the same car, there have been conflicting reports as to whether there were 4 people in the car or 3.

Earlier reports were that the sister and her boyfriend are dead, later they changed that to "companion" and clearly stated that another "companion" was injured by Betts and helping law enforcement with background information.

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
10  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh    2 weeks ago

Beto is really working this tragedy. He is directing people to his campaign site to donate for victims. 

sandy-2021492
10.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @10    2 weeks ago

Speaking of celebrating, you really seem to be enjoying yourself on these articles.

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
10.1.1  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  sandy-2021492 @10.1    2 weeks ago

We post opinions here. If you don't like them, that's your problem

loki12
10.1.2  loki12  replied to  sandy-2021492 @10.1    2 weeks ago

Pointing out that a dumbass is trying to profit politically from a tragedy is celebrating? Or is it just highlighting that this person has no compassion? Only raw ambition.

sandy-2021492
10.1.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  loki12 @10.1.2    2 weeks ago

I see no supporting link, only an accusation.  I also see an accusation of networks celebrating the shootings, which they aren't, while some here are gleefully taking pot shots at those they don't like.

That's what's disgusting.

loki12
10.1.4  loki12  replied to  sandy-2021492 @10.1.3    2 weeks ago

Anybody who celebrates this is morally bankrupt, and anybody who tries to “profit” off this is also morally bankrupt. Since I didn’t claim either things, I wonder why this was to me? Did you ask the Fish for a link? Maybe this is what he is talking about?

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2019/8/3/1876470/-Msg-from-Beto-O-Rourke-Pls-support-El-Paso-Shooting-Victims-Fund

sandy-2021492
10.1.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  loki12 @10.1.4    2 weeks ago

I don't see him profiting politically.  This is his hometown.  Wanting to help is what good humans do. He provided a link for those who would like to donate.  Should he not have used his influence to help?

And nobody is celebrating, or at least those who have been accused (CNN and MSNBC) aren't celebrating.  But that doesn't stop the accusations.

loki12
10.1.6  loki12  replied to  sandy-2021492 @10.1.5    2 weeks ago

Every body that can should help. I would have a lot more faith in his motives if there wasn’t a prominent donate button on his page with the link to the actual site that is for the victims. Remove it or disable it on that page.

i don’t trust politicians.

sandy-2021492
10.1.7  sandy-2021492  replied to  loki12 @10.1.6    2 weeks ago

He spells out which link is to donate to the victims, and anyone literate should be able to recognize the extension "victims" after the backslash.  The other donation link clearly takes one to his campaign website.  There is nothing confusing, except for those who are determined so believe it so.

Kathleen
10.1.8  Kathleen  replied to  loki12 @10.1.6    2 weeks ago

I don’t either Loki, I just wish they would shut their traps and focus on the victims instead of their own personal gains for their campaign.

sandy-2021492
10.1.9  sandy-2021492  replied to  Kathleen @10.1.8    2 weeks ago

The best way to achieve that, obviously, is to call them out if they post a link to donate to the victims /s

Kathleen
10.1.10  Kathleen  replied to  sandy-2021492 @10.1.9    2 weeks ago

I was not talking about donating to the victims. That is something they should be talking about....

I am talking about any words about enhancing their campaigns. Yes.... some have done that.

I guarantee that this years campaign will use this for their gun control stance.

sandy-2021492
10.1.11  sandy-2021492  replied to  Kathleen @10.1.10    2 weeks ago

Did Beto?

No.

He verbally asked for donations for the victims, praised law enforcement and first responders, and provided the link both verbally and on his website.

For that, he's vilified.

Kathleen
10.1.12  Kathleen  replied to  sandy-2021492 @10.1.11    2 weeks ago

In the beginning he did.  Then he changed his tune quick.  Cory Booker did.... right after the tragedy.  On Fox I saw someone doing the same, so it’s not just a one party thing.

The point is, concentrate on the victims and their families and talk about what goes on in the head that would make someone do such a terrible thing.

Must go now, good day.

sandy-2021492
10.1.13  sandy-2021492  replied to  Kathleen @10.1.12    2 weeks ago

We're talking about Beto.  He hasn't asked for votes, or for donations to his campaign.  He asked for donations to the victims.

And some folks are piling on him.

MrFrost
10.1.14  MrFrost  replied to  sandy-2021492 @10.1.13    2 weeks ago
And some folks are piling on him.

Oh, they have been for pretty much everything already. If he offered nothing in the way of helping the wounded, he would have been blasted for that too.

sandy-2021492
10.1.15  sandy-2021492  replied to  MrFrost @10.1.14    2 weeks ago

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Maybe he should have just tweeted thoughts and prayers.

MrFrost
10.1.16  MrFrost  replied to  sandy-2021492 @10.1.15    2 weeks ago
Maybe he should have just tweeted thoughts and prayers.

Well, it's what we use to protect our kids in schools, so yea, should work well.. /s ;)

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
10.1.17  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  Kathleen @10.1.10    2 weeks ago

Here is a great piece on political ambulance chasing Beto.

Failing Democratic Presidential Candidate Looks to Capitalize on Walmart Shooting Tragedy

https://pjmedia.com/trending/failing-democratic-presidential-candidate-looks-to-capitalize-on-walmart-shooting-tragedy/

Sunshine
10.1.18  Sunshine  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @10.1.17    2 weeks ago

Obama's mantra...never let a tragedy go to waste.

MrFrost
10.1.19  MrFrost  replied to  Sunshine @10.1.18    2 weeks ago

Obama's mantra...never let a tragedy go to waste.

And how long did the right wing tap dance on the graves of the people who died in BENGHAZI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!? 6 years? All for political gain. Pot, meet kettle. 

Sunshine
10.1.20  Sunshine  replied to  MrFrost @10.1.19    2 weeks ago

[Deleted]  It was a few years and it was an investigation into the deaths and who was responsible.  Quite different than those trying to score political points the same day of a horrendous event.

MrFrost
11  MrFrost    2 weeks ago

Other countries have mentally ill people too, they don't have the mass shootings we do. 

Dean Moriarty
11.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  MrFrost @11    2 weeks ago

This is true in some other countries it is more fashionable for suicidal nuts to use bombs so they can kill 100 people more efficiently than a gun. 

Buzz of the Orient
12  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    2 weeks ago

One of the more dangerous trends as I see it when people comment on these tragedies is EUPHEMISM - watering down the seriousness of what is happening.  Was it started when a famous person called a Marine's wiping out his fellow Marines, calling it "workplace violence"? Mental illness?  No, call it what it is - TERRORISM or an attempt to emulate it. 

Kathleen
12.1  Kathleen  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @12    2 weeks ago

I did not know if you were referring to my posts or not, but I was certainly NOT watering it down.  When people are murdered it IS serious. I did say “hatred” not just mental illness. Also sick and twisted... if not on this thread, I said it in the other. 

Buzz of the Orient
12.1.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kathleen @12.1    2 weeks ago

I just posted an article with an opinion that if each such mass shooting were treated by the authorities the same as how terrorism is treated, it could be a little more effective than what is being done now.