╌>

Miners, keepers: Could bees be the answer to West Virginia’s coal slump?

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  23 comments

Miners, keepers: Could bees be the answer to West Virginia’s coal slump?
In Summers County, West Virginia, what was once a booming coal-fueled economy has diminished as coal usage in the U.S. has dropped to its lowest since 1979. The Appalachian Beekeeping Collective based in Summers County is hoping to help the economy by introducing former coal miners and low-income West Virginians to beekeeping. The Collective plans to pay the new beekeepers for the honey they produce to supplement their income and introduce a new kind of natural resource to West Virginia.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

A creative way of making new jobs in areas that have dying industries. I am sure there are others. 

What are your thoughts?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

Should be some decent honey with all the mountain laurel in the woods

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1    5 years ago

It depends on the area.  I remember a drive in the mountains with my mom and aunts where they were surprised to find mountain laurel, because it was rare there.  That was when I was in college, and it was the first time I'd seen it.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.1    5 years ago

You're right. It was pretty abundant where I grew up.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.2    5 years ago

My neighbor has a lot in his woods. I don't have any.  But he's at a higher elevation than me.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  Release The Kraken @1.1.4    5 years ago

I've never heard of mountain laurel being used that way jrSmiley_7_smiley_image.png

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

An excellent idea - serving two important purposes.  First of all, there have been reports that the bees are dying out, so this will be an important boost, but secondly, the coal miner families need the income. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3  sandy-2021492    5 years ago

Thanks for posting this, Perrie.  My cousin in Kanawha County, WV has taken up beekeeping.  He's an electrician, not a coal miner, but he's found it to be a great way to supplement his income, and he's also helping the bee population to survive.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     5 years ago

A darn good idea that serves two purposes. Income and contintued survival of the bees. 

freepress
Freshman Silent
5  freepress    5 years ago

Great idea, and I think greenhouse growing even using solar would be a great job creator for year round jobs lowering food costs for the entire region giving the state a boost.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6  Trout Giggles    5 years ago

Did you know that dandelions are one of the first flowers a honey bee visits in the spring?

charger 383
Professor Silent
6.1  charger 383  replied to  Trout Giggles @6    5 years ago

I think of dandelions as low profile sunflowers

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  charger 383 @6.1    5 years ago

I like that!

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
6.1.2  GaJenn78  replied to  charger 383 @6.1    5 years ago

Damn! I thought I was the only one to think that!!! :-) :-)

It's almost like calling Walmart the ugly step sister of Target, kinda LOL!

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
6.1.3  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  charger 383 @6.1    5 years ago
I think of dandelions as low profile sunflowers

I found these to be an interesting take on the word...

" Dandy Lion: (Re)Articulating Black Masculine Identity  seeks to distinguish the historical and contemporary expressions of the Black Dandy phenomenon in popular culture.  The first comprehensive exhibition of its kind, this project highlights young men in city-landscapes who defy stereotypical and monolithic understandings of Black masculinity by remixing Victorian-era fashion with traditional African sartorial sensibilities."

Dandy Lion: Lions  that are extremely  happy  or  playful .

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
6.1.4  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @6.1.3    5 years ago

I have a good friend who is gay and self identifies as a "Dandy Lion" which he said was the gay version of a "cougar" which is why I looked it up to see if that was a commonly used definition, but I only found the two above, though the urban dictionary definition does sort of hint at it.