Iraq War veteran Chris Kelley to challenge Ilhan Omar in 2020 Minnesota House bid

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  2 weeks ago  •  12 comments

Iraq War veteran Chris Kelley to challenge Ilhan Omar in 2020 Minnesota House bid

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Jessica Campisi, msn news, 3 days ago

AAFfPva.img?h=634&w=1123&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

© Fox News/YouTube Iraq War veteran Chris Kelley to challenge Ilhan Omar in 2020 Minnesota House bid

Longtime Minneapolis police officer and Iraq War veteran Chris Kelley announced this week that he would challenge Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) in 2020.

Kelley, a 27-year veteran of the U.S. Army and Army Reserves and 20-year veteran of the Minneapolis Police Department, ran as a Republican in a 2016 Senate bid, but after failing to gain the party's endorsement, he is running as an independent in 2020.

"What I'm hoping to achieve is maybe bridging the gap between the parties and get some legislation done," he said. "I want to be able to work with both sides."

Kelley, 49, told Fox News on Friday that Omar's controversial comments about the Sept. 11 attacks - she said in March that on 9/11, "some people did something" - motivated him to launch his campaign.

"That statement was a slap in the face to first responders and everyone who died on that horrible day," he said. "I said to myself that I could either sit and complain about it or actually try and do something about it by running."

Kelley said that Omar is "more concerned about her celebrity" status and "not really focusing" on the 5th Congressional District that she represents, while issues such as the opioid crisis and homelessness aren't addressed.

"These are things I want to bring to the forefront," he said. "These are things we need to deal with, and our current congresswoman is not doing her job. That is the concern."

Kelley said he supports a secure border but added that he "would also like to see a pathway to citizenship for those under DACA," Fox News reports. He also strives to boost Medicare, ensure access to private health insurance and set term limits on members of Congress.

"I think we owe it to our constituents, if elected, to listen to their problems and work on solutions and make things better for the district," he told Fox News.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
Find text within the comments Find 

Buzz of the Orient
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    2 weeks ago

Go Chris Go!!!  I wish him the best of luck in his campaign.

chris3.jpg?ve=1&tl=1?ve=1&tl=1

Chris Kelley has collected eleven military medals as a 27-year veteran of the U.S. Army and Army Reserves and clocked more than 36,000 hours patrolling the Minnesota streets as a 20-year veteran of the Minneapolis Police Force

Ed-NavDoc
1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    2 weeks ago

If I was from Minnesota, as a Independent myself, I would vote for this guy in a heartbeat! I certainly hope he figuratively kicks Omar's tail in the election. She needs to go. Kelley and Omar have only one thing in common and that would be the (D) behind their names. Otherwise they seem to be polar opposites!

Dismayed Patriot
1.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    2 weeks ago

He seems like a good guy and I hope he does well. I hope he wins on ideas and determination and not just on some anti-Muslim rhetoric being pushed by Islamophobes, but he seems like he'd make a fine congressman. Omar has put her foot in her mouth a few times so having someone less controversial would help, though I doubt she's the extremist anti-Semite so many on the right try to make her out to be.

Vic Eldred
2  Vic Eldred    2 weeks ago

He should run as a democrat!

Buzz of the Orient
2.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    2 weeks ago

Why?  Is it because independents rarely succeed against Democrats and Republicans? 

Sean Treacy
2.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1    2 weeks ago

As Nancy Pelosi said, a glass of water could be elected as a democrat in a district like this. The last two from this district have a nation of islam apologist/women beater and a tax cheating/brother marrying /anti semite.  None of that matters as long as there is a D after the name. 

Vic Eldred
2.1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1    2 weeks ago

It is because that district is so heavily democratic. He wouldn't have much support from democratic donors, but if he can get on the ballot with a (D) behind his name he would give the blue collar democrats the option they might be looking for.

Greg Jones
2.1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.2    2 weeks ago

I sure he could make it as a moderate Democrat. The bimbo in that seat right now might get tossed out anyway, before the election.

Ed-NavDoc
2.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    2 weeks ago

The article said he is running as a Democrat.

Dismayed Patriot
2.2.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.2    2 weeks ago

"Kelley, a 27-year veteran of the U.S. Army and Army Reserves and 20-year veteran of the Minneapolis Police Department, ran as a Republican in a 2016 Senate bid, but after failing to gain the party's endorsement, he is running as an independent in 2020."

Ed-NavDoc
2.2.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.2.1    2 weeks ago

Sorry, you are correct. My bad, I misread  it. My thanks for the clarification.

It Is ME
3  It Is ME    2 weeks ago

"Kelley said that Omar is "more concerned about her celebrity" status and "not really focusing" on the 5th Congressional District that she represents,"

It's like he knows !

I'd vote for him.

Or

Maybe I should say ….. I'd vote for that "Person".

Wouldn't wanna piss off the Gender neutral "Do-Gooders" dontchyaknow. 

PC sucks !