Times Square panic as motorcycle backfires

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  5 years ago  •  35 comments

"This is the world we live in. This cannot be our world."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Australian Associated Press / Yahoo News, 8 August 2019

Frantic people scrambled to get out of Times Square after the sound of a motorcycle backfiring caused fear in the wake of mass shootings in other American cities.The New York Police Department tweeted a reassurance after it received multiple 911 calls about the tumult on Tuesday night.

"There is no ActiveShooter in TimesSquare. Motorcycles backfiring while passing through sounded like gun shots," the department said."Please don't panic. The Times Square area is very safe!"

But after 31 people were killed in two mass shootings in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, in less than 24 hours over the weekend, the sudden discharge of loud noises had people screaming as they fled one of New York City's most popular areas.Some pounded on theatre doors to find a place to hide.

Governor Andrew Cuomo, a Democrat, said the nation was in fear."You hear a noise, you run. That's the state of this nation. We're petrified," he said.

Video footage showed the throngs rushing out of the busy tourism and entertainment area, with some taking cover behind vehicles.

Gideon Glick, an actor in To Kill a Mockingbird on Broadway, said the show at the Shubert Theater had to be stopped because of the chaos."Screaming civilians tried to storm our theatre for safety. The audience started screaming and the cast fled the stage," he wrote on Twitter.

The Fire Department of New York said nine people were hurt altogether, with six transported to hospitals. Most injuries were minor.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

What a shame, says Buzz, shaking his head.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    5 years ago

Well, unfortunately mass shootings are just a fact a life-- there's no way to prevent them . . . :-(

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.1  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @1.1    5 years ago
Well, unfortunately mass shootings are just a fact a life-- there's no way to prevent them...

I recently came across an excellent article that looks into the matter in greater depth:

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

THOUSAND OAKS, CA—In the hours following a violent rampage in California in which a lone attacker killed   12 individuals, including a police officer, and seriously injured at least 12 others, citizens living in the only country where this kind of mass killing routinely occurs reportedly concluded Thursday that there was no way to prevent the massacre from taking place.

“This was a terrible tragedy, but sometimes these things just happen and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop them,” said Kansas resident Carrie Grant echoing sentiments expressed by tens of millions of individuals who reside in a nation where over half of the world’s deadliest mass shootings have occurred in the past 50 years and whose citizens are 20 times more likely to die of gun violence than those of other developed nations. (Read it all)

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Krishna @1.1.1    5 years ago

One of the surest bets anyone could make is that there will be more mass shootings. There are 300 million guns in America, and if just .0000001% of them are used in a mass shooting that will be 300 more mass shootings. 

It is completely inevitable. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.3  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @1.1.1    5 years ago

I wonder if the Carrie Grant from Kansas ever went to the top of the Empire State Building looking for someone.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.4  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @1.1.1    5 years ago

“This was a terrible tragedy, but sometimes these things just happen and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop them,” said Kansas resident Carrie Grant echoing sentiments expressed by tens of millions of individuals who reside in a nation where over half of the world’s deadliest mass shootings have occurred in the past 50 years and whose citizens are 20 times more likely to die of gun violence than those of other developed nations. ( Read it all )

Maybe what we must do is start to look into how those nations are able to how such a minuscle level of gun violence (compared to the U.S.)? What are we doing differently that creates such a YUGE level of mass shootings?

To discover what is their "secret sauce" (to coin a phrase).

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.2    5 years ago
One of the surest bets anyone could make is that there will be more mass shootings. There are 300 million guns in America, and if just .0000001% of them are used in a mass shooting that will be 300 more mass shootings.
It is completely inevitable.

There are over 320 million people in this country.

Bound to have a few nutjobs running around. It is inevitable that with that many people, some will be unwilling to obey laws and act in a civilized manner.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2  Ed-NavDoc    5 years ago

To the uninitiated, they sound the same sadly but better safe than sorry.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3  Split Personality    5 years ago

A sign fell at a mall causing complete panic as the shoppers thought it was a bomb or gunshot.

Someone in Atlanta reported seeing a shooter causing the mass evacuation of Phiserv in Alphretta, GA

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Split Personality @3    5 years ago

And now, the American people have to live with fear in their hearts....

freepress
Freshman Silent
5  freepress    5 years ago

Making America Great? Not so much.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1  Split Personality  replied to  freepress @5    5 years ago

These events are occurring with increasing frequency.

An old meme attempting to smear the Obama Administration by lowering the threshold of "mass" murder from 4 to 3 has been debunked several times. But even if you apply the same original standards to the Trump administration, it's clear that no one has a handle on this.

from Twitter

from 2008 through 2016:  313 killed, 314 wounded.    A rate of roughly 4 killed and 4 wounded every month

from 2016 through thus far in 2019:  251 killed, 727 wounded. In roughly 30 months, 8.3 killed monthly and 24.2 wounded

Based on this spreadsheet by MJ

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6  It Is ME    5 years ago

"Home"land security needs to step it up. jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

"9/11 - The Office of Homeland Security was created when the Homeland Security Act of 2002 was signed into law by George W. Bush with the mission to “coordinate the executive branch's efforts to detect, prepare for, prevent, protect against, respond to, and recover from terrorist attacks within the United States.”

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @6    5 years ago

And they are only focusing on Muslim terrorist attacks when the majority are non-Muslim right wing WHITE domestic terrorists.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @6.1    5 years ago
And they are only focusing on Muslim terrorist attacks when the majority are non-Muslim right wing WHITE domestic terrorists.  

Are you sure ?

Or

Did they just get lax when ISIS was being destroyed by Obama.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @6.1.1    5 years ago

[Deleted]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.2    5 years ago
Trump Now Says ISIS ‘Largely Defeated,’ Days After Declaring Terrorist Group Had Lost

Who gives a Fuck about Syria. The countries over there don't, why should we. Just send the fucking bombs and let them clean up their own mess they started.

Don't you want to concentrate on "THIS COUNTRY" for a Change ?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @6.1.3    5 years ago

It would be nice if Homeland security was concentrating on "THIS COUNTRY" for a change.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.4    5 years ago
It would be nice if Homeland security was concentrating on "THIS COUNTRY" for a change. 

That's what I said in my first post.

" Home "land security needs to step it up ." jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1.6  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @6.1.3    5 years ago
Who gives a Fuck about Syria.

Yes.

And that's what people here were saying about in the early days of Hotler's rise to power in the late 1930s.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1.7  It Is ME  replied to  Krishna @6.1.6    5 years ago
And that's what people here were saying about in the early days of Hotler's rise to power in the late 1930s.

Non-of the other countries in the area lift a finger until we do when it comes to "Arab" world. Give the "Other Guy" a chance to figure it out first....won't you ?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7  It Is ME    5 years ago

IT'S STILL ALRIGHT !

(The Traveling Wilburys - Handle With Care (Official Video))

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @7    5 years ago

IT'S STILL ALRIGHT !

I suppose it depends upon what your definition of "Alright" is...????

. . . a nation where over half of the world’s deadliest mass shootings have occurred in the past 50 years and whose citizens are 20 times more likely to die of gun violence than those of other developed nations.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Krishna @7.1    5 years ago
 . . . a nation where over half of the world’s deadliest mass shootings have occurred in the past 50 years and whose citizens are 20 times more likely to die of gun violence than those of other developed nations.

Better than "Millions", like "Wars" cost. Since the being of "Man" (not to be insensitive to women), we kill each other. That's a FACT !

Animals kill each other, plants kill each other....even Coral at the bottom of the oceans vie for space and will wipe each other out over that space.

I "Live" my life. I "carry", but if some fucktard gets the quicker draw, it was just my time. I don't stop going places because some lune killed folks. What a fucked up life I would have if I just hid in my home.....just because "IT" MAY happen. Hell, some ass may jump the curb I'm next to before I see it, and wipe my fat ass out in a blink, because they're fucking "TEXTING".

No one is going to STOP "Centuries" of killings.

It's always an uphill battle, but that's the way it is, and ALWAYS has been !

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1.3  It Is ME  replied to    5 years ago
So you put us on par with the excretion from marine polyps.

Yep !

We are just another "life" on some "Planet" in the universe. Having a "Brain" doesn't make us any better than "Other" life. We still do the same as the "Other NO BRAINER Life" does. jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Soooo ….. based on that FACT, I find it more fun to live Life, such as it is.

I don't sit back and "Watch It" and have a nervous breakdown over it! I want to "LIVE LIFE" until I can't. jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.4  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @7.1.1    5 years ago
That's a FACT !

I call "FAKE NEWS"!

(Heh :-)

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  Krishna @7.1.4    5 years ago

jrSmiley_40_smiley_image.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  It Is ME @7    5 years ago

The Traveling Wilburys - A group I really enjoyed listening to, whose life ended too soon when Roy's life ended, too soon.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.2.1  It Is ME  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.2    5 years ago

Same here. I liked Roy too. Died Young.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
8  Ed-NavDoc    5 years ago

Would not surprise me to see a lot of city folks picking up and moving out of tightly packed metropolitan areas and going out to less populated rural areas that are currently not seeing this kind of activity.