╌>

CNN Commentators bury ‘gutless’ Trump for boast about crowd size when confronted with gunshot victims

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  85 comments

CNN Commentators bury ‘gutless’ Trump for boast about crowd size when confronted with gunshot victims
“Listen, I know this presidency breaks every norm in the book,” she continued. “This isn’t about breaking with presidential behavior. This is just wrong. This is gutless. If I don’t continue to call it out, then we are normalizing this kind of behavior — we’re better than this.”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

CNN’s Baldwin and Setmayer bury ‘gutless’ Trump for boast about crowd size when confronted with gunshot victims

Reacting to a video of Donald Trump bragging in an El Paso hospital about the crowds he draws while visiting survivors of a mass shooting at a local Walmart, CNN host Brooke Baldwin, and regular Tara Setmayer did nothing to disguise their disgust with the president with Baldwin bluntly calling Trump “gutless.”

After a terse introduction about the viral video of Trump’s boasts that is being  universally derided , the CNN host was joined by conservative Setmayer who appeared furious.

“In the past four days, the president has attacked or insulted at least 15 people or groups on Twitter or using the microphone. He couldn’t stop himself from lodging insults at 35,000 feet on Twitter against the former vice president, ripping media coverage, turning the attention back to himself,” Baldwin began.

“Listen, I know this presidency breaks every norm in the book,” she continued. “This isn’t about breaking with presidential behavior. This is just wrong. This is gutless. If I don’t continue to call it out, then we are normalizing this kind of behavior — we’re better than this.”

“What a petty, small, insecure person,” Setmayer chimed in. “He never ceases to amaze me at how low he’ll go to feed his ego. This is malignant Narcissism 101.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

The president* went to a hospital where he was supposedly there to console gunshot victims and he saw the need to brag about his crowd size at a rally a few months ago compared to Beto O'Rourke's crowd size. 

He is not a well man. 

Off topic comments, such as complaints about the topic of this seed, will be reported for removal. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2  MrFrost    5 years ago

With one shooting, the state of Texas will likely be blue in 2020.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @2    5 years ago
With one shooting, the state of Texas will likely be blue in 2020.

Damn! I wish I had a dollar for every time somebody decided that THIS event or THAT event or THIS person or THAT person is going to be THE thing that turns Texas blue!!

Say, don't you remember little Wendy Davis and her famous pink shoes?

Where is she now? Not elected to squat now, is she?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3  MrFrost    5 years ago

It's my understanding that not one of the survivors wanted to meet with trump. Not surprising given the attack was a direct result of trump's rhetoric. 

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
3.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  MrFrost @3    5 years ago

Your understanding is correct.  As a matter of fact, of the 8 patients who were well enough for a brief meeting with Trump, they all refused.  Hospital staff were coerced into calling patients that had been released, and asking them to come back and meet with Trump in front of photographers.  Only 2 were willing to do so.  True story.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @3.1    5 years ago

Thanks Sister for the confirmation..

And BTW..

jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
3.1.2  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  MrFrost @3.1.1    5 years ago

jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @3.1    5 years ago

Truth and one survivor, a little girl, didn't look happy at the dozen or so people in the room.  

This was only a photo OP.  I would bet good money on that 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
3.1.4  1stwarrior  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @3.1    5 years ago

Gotta link for that Sis?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  1stwarrior @3.1.4    5 years ago

Trump: All El Paso shooting patients being treated at hospital 'refused to meet with president'

Tom Embury-Dennis
The Independent August 8, 2019
Trump's visits to Dayton, El Paso met with protests as president posts divisive tweets

Every  El Paso mass shooting  patient being treated at a local hospital refused to meet with  Donald Trump  when he visited, a spokesperson for the facility has said.

The US president on Wednesday travelled to both the Texas city and Dayton, Ohio,  to meet with victims and first responders  following two mass shootings over the weekend which left 31 people dead and dozens injured.

But following Mr Trump's departure from University Medical Center (UMC), where he met two victims already discharged by the hospital, UMC spokesperson Ryan Mielke revealed the eight patients still being treated there did not agree to meet the US leader.

"This is a very sensitive time in their lives," Mr Mielke told  The Washington Post . "Some of them said they didn't want to meet with the president. Some of them didn't want any visitors."

The newspaper reported some of the victims did, however, meet a number of locally elected officials, including Democratic congresswoman Veronica Escobar.

Mr Trump’s arrival in El Paso was met with opposition by some of the city’s elected officials and thousands of its residents, who have accused the 73-year-old of using inflammatory rhetoric and encouraging white supremacy - a racist ideology allegedly espoused by the gunman who attacked shoppers at a local Walmart.

Beto O’Rourke, a Democratic 2020 presidential contender and El Paso native who has denounced Mr Trump as a racist instigator, said the president had “helped create the hatred that made Saturday’s tragedy possible” and thus “has no place here”.

Protesters booed Mr Trump as he and the first lady were driven to meet the survivors and first responders at the hospital, outnumbering the president’s supporters who cheered his motorcade.

Mr Trump was, however, praised by Sherrod Brown, a Democratic senator for Ohio, who said the president was “comforting” and “did the right things” during his meeting with Dayton shooting victims.

Despite being cast by some as the “consoler-in-chief”, Mr  Trump used his flight time  on the way back to the White House to attack his critics and boast on Twitter about how shooting victims had shown him “love, respect & enthusiasm”.

“Leaving El Paso for the White House. What GREAT people I met there and in Dayton, Ohio,” Mr Trump tweeted.

“The Fake News worked overtime trying to disparage me and the two trips, but it just didn’t work. The love, respect & enthusiasm were there for all to see. They have been through so much. Sad!”

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.1.6  Raven Wing  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.3    5 years ago
This was only a photo OP.  I would bet good money on that 

Trump and the First Lady's all smiles and thumbs up photo with a baby who supposedly lost their Mother and Father in the massacre clearly seems to indicate that the only intention of Trump's "Consoling" trips to Dayton and El Paso was nothing more that a photo op opportunity to try and show 'how saddened by the loss of life and the injured he was.' /s  

Fortunately, not all the people in America or the world are so stupid as to believe he really cared about the victims. 

As I have to wonder.....would Trump and his wife be all smiles and thumbs up if it had been his own Son or other family members who were killed or injured in the massacre? 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  MrFrost @3    5 years ago

Two released survivors went back to meet with him.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.3.1  Tessylo  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.3    5 years ago

After, I'm sure, one of the 'president's' people called them and begged and pleaded that they come back to talk to the 'president'

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.3.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @3.3.1    5 years ago

The pleading probably came with a dollar sign.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4  bbl-1    5 years ago

The CNN commentators were wrong in their criticism of Trump's performance at this particular event.  Trump acted and responded in the only way he ever has.  His depth and outside scope is limited onto only that which affects himself.  I am surprised they did not already know that.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    5 years ago

It would be nice if they had given us a little more context. All we got was a sentence fragment. I would assume he was responding to a question from a reporter along the lines of "how did people respond to a visit from the president?" Of course we can only guess because - typical for CNN - we got only enough information to justify their mission to make the audience hate the president.

And isn't it interesting that Democrats have spent the last 4 days going out of their way to make political hay out of the shootings and there has been nary so much as a hint of outrage from CNN.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @5    5 years ago
Mr. Trump praised the medical officials treating the victims, telling them "they're talking about you all over the world." He then pivoted to boasting about the attendance at his February rally and mocking the relatively small size of the counter-rally held by O'Rourke.

"I was here three months ago," Mr. Trump said. "That place was packed ... That was some crowd. And we had twice the number outside. And then you had this crazy Beto. Beto had like 400 people in a parking lot, they said his crowd was wonderful."

Donald Trump does not know how to talk to people without referencing himself. It really is that simple. 

He is at a hospital to visit wounded people and the doctors who worked on those wounds, and he cant help but denigrate the person who represented these very people in Congress. 

Trump deserves every ounce of criticism he gets. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1    5 years ago

I will say this: Even if he was asked a question that logically led to his comments (he probably was), there are classier ways of responding, for sure. But to suggest that he went out of his way to be political is probably not accurate, either. Unfortunately, with such lazy and partisan journalism, we cannot know.

And by the way, Mr. O'Rourke has spent the last few days being very political and the left-leaning media is totally giving him a pass for it.

If Trump's comments bother you (I don't approve of the ones cited here, even though I wish for more context), then a fair-minded person should be equally bothered by those from O'Rourke. Are you? 

Beto O'Rourke rips President Trump in expletive-filled rant after El Paso shooting

Beto O'Rourke on Texas shooting: Trump 'has no place' in El Paso

Beto O'Rourke lashes out at question about Trump's language after mass shooting in El Paso

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @5.1.1    5 years ago

Do you think anyone at that hospital gives a damn about the size of his crowd in February ? 

People make a truly endless parade of excuses for this man.  The whole thing is monumentally embarrassing to the United States. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.3  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.2    5 years ago
Do you think anyone at that hospital gives a damn about the size of his crowd in February ?

No. Do you think anyone at that hospital gives a shit about what Beto O'Rourke has to say about blaming Trump?

People make a truly endless parade of excuses for this man

People likewise condemn him for ordinary things while excusing far worse from Democratic politicians. You seem to be doing that in this case.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @5.1.3    5 years ago

Talking about the size of your crowd while visiting the scene of a mass shooting is not "ordinary" .  You excuse everything he does, and there is no help for it. 

This is why we talk about "Trumpsters". They are contributing to this bizarro world we are all being forced to live in. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.5  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.4    5 years ago
Talking about the size of your crowd while visiting the scene of a mass shooting is not "ordinary" .  You excuse everything he does, and there is no help for it. 

Are you even reading my comments? I already said I didn't approve of it. Your need to repeatedly accuse me of excusing speaks to your inability to analyze these things with a fair and open mind.

Additionally, I keep mentioning the things O'Rourke has said and inviting your comment. Apparently you can't even acknowledge that his actions or my requests exist at all. I guess that tells me and everyone else all we need to know.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @5.1.5    5 years ago

It doesn't tell me all everyone needs to know.  

Context?  

Absurd.

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
5.2  Don Overton  replied to  Tacos! @5    5 years ago

[Deleted]

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6  MrFrost    5 years ago

This picture... Trump with a big smile and a thumbs up while his wife holding a baby whose parents were murdered in the El Paso shooting. Proof that trump literally has no empathy for anyone but himself. What a POS. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
6.1  1stwarrior  replied to  MrFrost @6    5 years ago

Make sure you tell the guy to the right of Trump with his arm around Trump and smiling a huge smile that he is also a POS.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
6.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  1stwarrior @6.1    5 years ago
Make sure you tell the guy to the right of Trump with his arm around Trump and smiling a huge smile that he is also a POS.

If I was anywhere close to him I would most certainly do so. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  1stwarrior @6.1    5 years ago
and smiling a huge smile

That guy is Tito Anchondo and his smile is at best polite because his mother would expect him to be polite, especially to the POTUS.

Tito's sister Deborah Ontiveros isn't smiling quite as politely.

The baby is Paul Anchondo, Tito's nephew.

We are all also assuming that Tito & his wife will adopt and raise his deceased brothers children.

Tito took the baby to the hospital to meet Trump and invite him to the family business.

But Anchondo rejected that criticism, telling telling NPR that his family members are Republican conservatives, and his brother “was very supportive of Trump.” Instead, Anchondo said that he wanted to “have a human-to-human talk” with the president, despite none of the eight currently hospitalized victims of the shooting reportedly agreeing to meet with Trump.

"I want to see his reaction in person," Anchondo told NPR. "I want to see if he's genuine and see if my political views are right or wrong. And see if he feels maybe some kind of remorse for statements that he's made. I just want to have a human-to-human talk with him and see how he feels."

An anonymous White House official told The Washington Post that Trump was told about the baby, and Anchondo was kind to the president during their meeting.

Trump took other thumbs-up photos at the hospital during the visit, too, a White House official said, noting that other such pictures have concerned aides who have encouraged him to strike a more empathetic tone.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
6.2  KDMichigan  replied to  MrFrost @6    5 years ago

I know right. And it wasn't hard to find a pic of Obama being a piece of shit doing a photo op either.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  KDMichigan @6.2    5 years ago

It looks like those folks were very happy to see him unlike the el Paso survivors.  

Where and when was this photo OP and what were the circumstances?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.2.2  MrFrost  replied to  KDMichigan @6.2    5 years ago

But.............but.............but................OBAMA!!!!!!

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
6.2.3  KDMichigan  replied to  MrFrost @6.2.2    5 years ago

But...….but...…..but Hypocrisy.

Was the left crying about the panderer in chiefs photo ops? 

I understand that this is what Presidents do but I don't make a political hit job out of it. But hey who ever accused the left of having to much class?

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
6.2.4  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  KDMichigan @6.2.3    5 years ago
who ever accused the left of having to much class?

Perhaps the same person not accusing the right of having any morals, ethics or standards...

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.2.5  Split Personality  replied to  Tessylo @6.2.1    5 years ago

Very nice article by the Daily Mail of all sources...

Of course I also found another site that used it, but that one was a conspiracy site that claimed that there is an Aurora cover up by the police and government.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.2.7  MrFrost  replied to  dennis smith @6.2.6    5 years ago

The right spent 6 months being outraged tha Obama wore a tan suit. Give it a rest.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.2.9  MrFrost  replied to  Release The Kraken @6.2.8    5 years ago
Barack Ebola wore a tan suit?

Never heard of him, so I couldn't tell you.