╌>

Cory Booker goes to church to call out Americans as racists: ‘White supremacy has always been a problem’

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  it-is-me  •  5 years ago  •  37 comments

Cory Booker goes to church to call out Americans as racists: ‘White supremacy has always been a problem’
"President Trump “sowed the seeds” of hatred that produced the weekend’s mass shooting in Texas, and he called on Americans to confront the white supremacist belief ingrained in their country."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

He blamed Mr. Trump’s vow to “build a wall” and warnings of a migrant “invasion” as fueling white supremacist hatred. He also blamed the country’s legacy of racism that he said was ingrained laws and culture.

Mr. Trump condemned racism and white supremacy in a speech Monday.

To stem the violence, Mr. Booker proposed tough gun laws, including a ban of military-style rifles and national licensing of gun owners.

He called for the Departments of Justice and Homeland Security to conduct assessments of the domestic terrorism threats posed by white supremacists and report annually to Congress and the public.

And he demanded the FBI overhaul its reporting of hate crimes and work with local law enforcement to establish policies and training for officers on how to identify, investigate and report hate crimes.

“We must change our laws, but we must also confront our past,” the senator said.

Mr. Booker did not name Mr. Trump but said racist violence was “sowed by a president who spews hateful rhetoric and endangers the lives of people of color and immigrants in this country.”

Calling out the president’s shortcoming was not enough, he said, because every American must take responsibility for their role in perpetuating the hatred.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1  seeder  It Is ME    5 years ago

So much for the "Lefts" …. "SEPERATION OF CHURCH AND STATE" argument. jrSmiley_92_smiley_image.png

Apparently, It only needs to be "separated" when someone else does what Cory (D) actually Did (use the pulpit for politics) ! jrSmiley_99_smiley_image.jpg jrSmiley_27_smiley_image.gif

And the Liberals even want to cut out a churches tax status if things like Cory (D) did, are done by the Preachers of a church. 

WTF ! 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  It Is ME @1    5 years ago
Liberals even want to cut out a churches tax status if things like Cory (D) did

"Corporations, and any community chest, fund, or foundation, organized and operated exclusively for religious , charitable, scientific, testing for public safety, literary, or educational purposes, or to foster national or international amateur sports competition (but only if no part of its activities involve the provision of athletic facilities or equipment), or for the prevention of cruelty to children or animals, no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual, no substantial part of the activities of which is carrying on propaganda, or otherwise attempting, to influence legislation (except as otherwise provided in subsection (h)), and which does not participate in, or intervene in (including the publishing or distributing of statements), any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for public office ."

"Under the Internal Revenue Code, all section 501(c)(3) organizations are absolutely prohibited from directly or indirectly participating in, or intervening in, any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for elective public office. Contributions to political campaign funds or public statements of position (verbal or written) made on behalf of the organization in favor of or in opposition to any candidate for public office clearly violate the prohibition against political campaign activity.  Violating this prohibition may result in denial or revocation of tax-exempt status and the imposition of certain excise taxes.

Certain activities or expenditures may not be prohibited depending on the facts and circumstances.  For example, certain voter education activities (including presenting public forums and publishing voter education guides) conducted in a non-partisan manner do not constitute prohibited political campaign activity. In addition, other activities intended to encourage people to participate in the electoral process, such as voter registration and get-out-the-vote drives, would not be prohibited political campaign activity if conducted in a non-partisan manner."

Cory is not a pastor or priest of that Church, and as far as we know the Church did not make any contributions to his campaign or make a public statement in favor of him or against Trump.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.2.1  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.2    5 years ago

" On the other hand , voter education or registration activities with evidence of bias that (a) would favor one candidate over another; (b) oppose a candidate in some manner; or (c) have the effect of favoring a candidate or group of candidates, will constitute prohibited participation or intervention."

You need to read "The Rest of the Story".

Cory was allowed to speak in order to "Oppose" a candidate. you don't think they knew what he was there for ?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    5 years ago

I think separation of church and state has to do with the church taking a political position, not a guest. 

Should President Trump or vice president Pence be prohibited from speaking in front of religious groups? 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @2    5 years ago

Project "Fair Play" comes to mind (pulpit politicking).

Goose/Gander applies !

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3  Ed-NavDoc    5 years ago

Only real racist mentioned in the article is Booker himself! 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3    5 years ago

Why do you think Cory Booker is racist? 

I have another question. There seem to be an awful lot of white people who have grievances related to race.  Why? What do white people have to complain about? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    5 years ago
What do white people have to complain about?

Isn't that what you do 24/7 about Trump, racists, and white supremacists?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.1    5 years ago

Bingo!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.3  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.1    5 years ago
Isn't that what you do 24/7 about Trump, racists, and white supremacists?

On Voters and Donors too !

Must be a (I didn't mean it) Castro fan.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.5  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.1    5 years ago

I asked him what white people have to complain about?  Are they discriminated against? 

You people dont have the slightest concept of the diiference between being part of the dominant group in a culture and being part of a minority.  You actually think the majority, dominant,  racial group has legitimate grievances. It's hilarious. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.6  JohnRussell  replied to  Release The Kraken @3.1.4    5 years ago

[Deleted

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.5    5 years ago
You people

LOL!

Look, everyone, now we are "You People"!

Give it up. You can play the race card all day long, we expect it because you have nothing else except the usual "I Hate Trump" and "Trump isn't Qualified" nonsense.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.8  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.7    5 years ago

who is "you people" ?  I am talking to the ones I am addressing. Do you want me to name them all individually? jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.9  seeder  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.5    5 years ago

racial group has legitimate grievances.

#BlackLivesMatter ……. The "Pigs in a blanket. Fry 'em like bacon!" jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

McConnell Protesters …….. “just stabs the mother f*cker in the heart, please.” ! jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

Wonderful ain't it ? jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

And Trump is the Problem …….. PFFFFFFT ! jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.8    5 years ago
who is "you people" ?

If you don't know, perhaps you shouldn't use the term.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.11  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.8    5 years ago

Yes please do, I would love to know!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.12  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.8    5 years ago

Hey John! Still waiting for those names.jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3    5 years ago

Ya, Booker seems to have a great concern with the popular buzzword "white supremacy." He needs to be taken to one of the Chicago neighborhoods, where there are young black children and their parents who worry about such things as simply getting to & from school in one piece. They would tell him what they fear and it's not white supremacists, it's other young black men!

cms5
Freshman Quiet
4  cms5    5 years ago
"In one voice, our nation must condemn racism, bigotry and white supremacy." ` President Trump

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  cms5 @4    5 years ago

I agree with President Trump.  

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
4.2.1  Don Overton  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2    5 years ago

[Members of the forum are not the topic

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.2.2  MrFrost  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2    5 years ago

And which one of his 12,019 lies do you agree with?