╌>

A man's missing dentures were found stuck in his throat 8 days after surgery

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sandy-2021492  •  5 years ago  •  21 comments

A man's missing dentures were found stuck in his throat 8 days after surgery
“Stay on the safe side,” an expert said. “Inform your physician of what’s going on in your mouth.”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Here’s why it’s best to remove false teeth before surgery: You just might swallow them.
A medical journal is reporting the case of a 72-year-old British man whose partial dentures apparently got stuck in his throat during surgery and weren’t discovered for eight days.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1  seeder  sandy-2021492    5 years ago
The man went to the emergency room because he was having a hard time swallowing and was coughing up blood. Doctors ordered a chest X-ray, diagnosed him with  pneumonia  and sent him home with antibiotics and steroids. It took another hospital visit before another X-ray revealed the problem: His dentures — a metal roof plate and three false teeth — lodged at the top of this throat.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.1  Tacos!  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1    5 years ago
Doctors ordered a chest X-ray, diagnosed him with pneumonia and sent him home with antibiotics and steroids

Medical "science" does it again. Well done. I wonder what they charged him for the x-ray and the drugs.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.1  seeder  sandy-2021492  replied to  Tacos! @1.1    5 years ago

I had one patient whose teeth were broken during entubation for surgery. The hospital paid for me to make her a denture.  Her teeth were so rotten that it wasn't really the anesthesiologist's fault, IMO, but they accepted responsibility.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.1    5 years ago

Every time I've had surgery or been put under anesthesia I'm always asked if I have dentures or a partial. Every. Time.

Seems this man's nurses didn't ask the important question

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.3  seeder  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.2    5 years ago

The anesthesiologist has always asked me, even if the nurse already had.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.3    5 years ago

I can never remember the anesthiologist, only the nurses

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2  MrFrost    5 years ago

Da Fuq? Every time I had surgery I had to remove my ear ring, (except the last time, my surgeon allowed me to tape it down, but after 9 surgeries, we got to be friends)... But they didn't bother to take this guys teeth out? Holy crap, that's some next level incompetence right there. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1  seeder  sandy-2021492  replied to  MrFrost @2    5 years ago

Yeah, the anesthesiologist should have seen this.  A cursory inspection of the mouth would have been prevented this.

Somehow, I figured you'd be the first to stop by this article jrSmiley_7_smiley_image.png

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1    5 years ago

Anything for you Sunshine. ;)

And...correct. When doing a medical history, this should have come up, which would make it into the nurses notes, which would alert the anesthesiologist and the rest of the surgical staff. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.2  seeder  sandy-2021492  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.1    5 years ago

Any time I've been under general anesthesia, the anesthesiologist has both asked if I had any dentures, loose teeth. or piercings, and looked in my mouth to verify.  It only takes a few seconds.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.3  MrFrost  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1.2    5 years ago

Any time I've been under general anesthesia, the anesthesiologist has both asked if I had any dentures, loose teeth. or piercings, and looked in my mouth to verify.  It only takes a few seconds.

Exactly, also, "any broken teeth", which  I am assuming is to minimize liability. But yes, it does only take a few seconds. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  MrFrost @2    5 years ago

I used to be a nurse and the pre op check list includes removal of false teeth and jewelry.  Someone in this case really f'd up.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4  TᵢG    5 years ago

Scary level of medical incompetence.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1  MrFrost  replied to  TᵢG @4    5 years ago

But fortunately, (at least in the US), it's on the decline. Now there is a count of everything used during a surgery, every single item, to make sure items aren't left in the patient. It has drastically decreased medical mistakes, but, no system is perfect. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5  Freefaller    5 years ago

I notice there's a lot of blame being placed on the hospital and certainly they have their share but the patient himself bears some responsibility himself (unless of course he was brought to the hospital already unconscious).

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.1  seeder  sandy-2021492  replied to  Freefaller @5    5 years ago

TBH, there is no way that this denture wasn't easily visible to the anesthesiologist at intubation.   It's an upper partial made mostly of metal.  The doctor has a clear view of the upper palate.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  Freefaller  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5.1    5 years ago

Agreed