╌>

How to protect yourself from government phone scams

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tig  •  5 years ago  •  94 comments

How to protect yourself from government phone scams
The FTC warns complaints of scammers impersonating government agents are at an all-time high. Here's what to look for and how to protect yourself from being scammed.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Advice on how to detect and deal with the ever-increasing scammers scaring people by pretending they are from the government.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Enoch
Masters Quiet
1  Enoch    5 years ago

Dear Friend Tig: Good article.

At no level of government is there ever a telephone call requesting personal information the government already has.

You have rights as a citizen such as various places in the CFR (Code of Federal Regulations).

If, by Constitutional mandate records need to be updated you will receive a mailer to fill out, or be contacted in person by a Federal employee who must self identify and show you official picture identification. 

The government doesn't "smile and dial".

Ever!

Thanks for this public service article.

P&AB.

Enoch.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2  Raven Wing    5 years ago

I recently got a phone call from someone with a very distinct Hindu accent who said they were from Social Security, and wanted to alert me to the fact that my SS number had been breached. They wanted me to confirm my SS number and other personal information, which sounded very suspicious, as they would never request that kind of info in a phone call.

So I played along for a bit to confirm my suspicion without providing any of the information they were asking for. When they got angry that I would not give them the information they wanted they abruptly hung up. 

Made my day. (smile)

Enoch
Masters Quiet
2.2  Enoch  replied to  Raven Wing @2    5 years ago

Dear Sister Raven Wing: You just made mine.

Thanks.

Smiles.

E.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.2.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Enoch @2.2    5 years ago

jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    5 years ago

The best phone scam is when someone with a foreign accent tells you that your tax return showed illegalities on your part and a U.S Marshall is on their way to your house to arrest you UNLESS you give the caller your credit card number so they can use it to get you out of trouble.   I played along with one for about 10 minutes one time. It was fun. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @4    5 years ago

That scammer actually left me a voice mail message but he didn't speak with an accent. Too bad I didn't actually answer that call.

I have told a scammer to fuck off, tho. That was fun

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1    5 years ago

The sad part is that some people must fall for these scams and give the con man money. Otherwise why would the scammers keep doing it? 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.1    5 years ago

Why do people fall for this stuff? I'm not the brightest star in the galaxy but even I know when somebody is trying to scam me

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4.1.3  Sunshine  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.1    5 years ago
fall for these scams and give the con man money

Usually the elderly.  I have control over my mother's finances but not everyone has someone looking out for their best interest.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
4.1.5  Drakkonis  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1    5 years ago
I have told a scammer to fuck off, tho. That was fun

I have this fantasy where I can hack a scammers computer or phone and cause a power surge that melts the cpu and motherboard. Then, somehow, I'd know every time he got new equipment and do it again as soon as he turned it on, for a year. That would be awesome!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Drakkonis @4.1.5    5 years ago

I like the way you think

katrix
Sophomore Participates
4.1.7  katrix  replied to  Sunshine @4.1.3    5 years ago
I have control over my mother's finances but not everyone has someone looking out for their best interest.

Same here. Mom doesn't even have her credit card or checkbook, so nobody can scam her.

As for her SSN - between the OPM hack, the Blue Cross/Blue Shield hack, and the Experion hack, anyone who wants her SSN already has it!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1.8  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Drakkonis @4.1.5    5 years ago

There is a YouTube video where a hacker interacted with a scammer pretending to be Microsoft.   He got the scammer to give him access to their machine and while in the machine he deleted all the files.

Would that work for you?  jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Here it is:

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
4.1.9  Drakkonis  replied to  TᵢG @4.1.8    5 years ago

Yeah, I saw this one and yes indeedy, it does work for me. The banana dog was nice, too. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @4    5 years ago

I know, some of these bozos are pathetic.   There are YouTubers who purposely play along with these thieves to waste their time and frustrate them.   Building up their hopes only to let them realize that after days of effort they are not going to get their gift cards form of payment.

Here is an example (funny):

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.2.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  TᵢG @4.2    5 years ago

That.

Was.

Awesome.

And the nerve of the POS scammer to be offended when called out.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.2.4  sandy-2021492  replied to    5 years ago

I got the Microsoft call.  I told him I have a Mac (I don't).

My son wastes their time, then finally starts insulting them.  "Bro, nobody cares about you, bro.  It's so sad.  Nobody cares, bro."

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.2.5  Raven Wing  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.2.4    5 years ago

When I get the calls from Microsoft I give them a few seconds to start their spiel and then I tell them, "I am a Microsoft MVP (Most Valuable Professional) which I really am, and then let them know that I am an MS Technical Beta Tester (which I really am), and an Access Database Developer (which I really am), and a computer programmer (which I am not), sooo, how are you going to help me?"

Then I hear a 'click' on the other end as they hang up. 

One thing that I notice about many of the scam callers, they have a pretty sloppy Hindu accent, sort of like street slang, so the people who are hiring them to be scammers must be getting people off the streets who will work the cheapest.  

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
4.2.6  mocowgirl  replied to  TᵢG @4.2    5 years ago

A few years ago, I answered the IRS call on a cell phone that is not registered to me.

The guy started his pitch about how I owed the IRS and must pay immediately.  I just laughed and said in my usual Ozark hillbilly accent "Nope.  Y'all don't know who y'all is talkin' to."  He insisted that he did... that he knew who I was.  I said "No.  No you don't."  This actually went back and forth like this for several minutes with him making dire threats at what was going to happen to me if I didn't take him seriously....and me just continuing to say that he had no clue to whom he was threatening.

Finally, I grew tired of his bullshit - called him the scum of the Earth in less than polite words and told him that  he really should learn how to speak English properly if he wanted to make his scam seem credible.  He still continued to protest that he was a legit IRS agent and I ended the call.

These days, I have turned off my answering machine and only answer calls that I recognize the caller.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.3  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @4    5 years ago

I heard that same shit and I called them back and yelled at them that they were fucking scammers.  

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.4  MrFrost  replied to  JohnRussell @4    5 years ago

I had one about a week ago telling me my social security number had been canceled..... They said they could get me a new one for $500.00. 

Seriously, too stupid to make it up. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.4.2  MrFrost  replied to    5 years ago
I hope you laughed at them.

I did indeed...

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
4.4.3  Drakkonis  replied to    5 years ago
Cancelled?  Like a credit card?  Too stupid.  I hope you laughed at them.

I got a text saying my SSN was deactivated. I was overjoyed, as I figure that means no more taxes. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6  Paula Bartholomew    5 years ago

I don't answer calls whose numbers are in other states or ones I don't recognize.  Then I look up the number to see who or what it might be.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
6.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6    5 years ago
I don't answer calls whose numbers are in other states or ones I don't recognize.  Then I look up the number to see who or what it might be.

I do that as well, Paula. It is amazing just how ignorant some scammers are when they can't even tell they've been had. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
7  Sunshine    5 years ago

When my phone says the Las Vegas Police Dept is calling I panic and block the number.  

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8  Raven Wing    5 years ago

Some of the scams I get calls from are ones claiming to be some Law Enforcement or Fire dept. association asking for donations. They want to send someone by to pick up my donation. I tell them I don't donate to anyone over the phone and take me off their list. Then I call the supposed LE or Fire dept and ask them if they are soliciting donations by phone and they say no, so I give them the info and they take it from there.

Those are the worst ones, playing on people's sympathy. This kind of scam was really popular after the 9/11 horror and they were asking for donations for the 1st responders who were killed and/or injured.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Raven Wing @8    5 years ago

I just hang up on those guys. It's always some company soliciting donations for cops who died in the line of duty.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1    5 years ago

One time it was the IRS someone was scamming for - said the police would be at my door.  When they called me back I called them fucking scammers.  I forgot that they would never call you, just send a letter.  I had a call recently, some bullshit about how I was up for a federal crime.  I called that number back and called them fucking scammers.  

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1    5 years ago
It's always some company soliciting donations for cops who died in the line of duty.

Yeah, they like to play on people's good hearts to feed their scams. I tell them I don't make donations over the phone or to anyone coming to my home, and have often asked where their office is located and I would come there and make a donation in person. At that point they quickly hang up. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Raven Wing @8.1.2    5 years ago

LOL! They don't know I don't have a good heart so they waste their time trying to talk to me

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8.1.4  Raven Wing  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.3    5 years ago
They don't know I don't have a good heart

LOL!!  I have a good one, but, it is reserved for those who truly deserve it. Scammers hear the other side of it. jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

MrFrost
Professor Expert
10  MrFrost    5 years ago

This guy literally built a career fucking with telemarketers. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
11  igknorantzrulz    5 years ago

Call, text, or E-mail me at your own risk, as there R NO MODERATORS to

corral 

my 

creativity, and i'll take these people places they could never ever even imagine existed.

I NO KNOW Boundries, Y i live in a gated community

MrFrost
Professor Expert
11.1  MrFrost  replied to  igknorantzrulz @11    5 years ago
I NO KNOW Boundries, Y i live in a gated community

"Iggy Unchained".. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
11.1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  MrFrost @11.1    5 years ago

Danjo got

nuthin on me

lady in black
Professor Quiet
12  lady in black    5 years ago

I've gotten the IRS, Microsoft, SS, a police fund, a women's cancer something or other, school loan which uses the same reference number for every call and one that was in an asian foreign language so I have no clue what the scam is.   

What I don't understand is when they want you to go buy gift cards and give them the serial number that people don't get that it's a scam

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
12.1  Freefaller  replied to  lady in black @12    5 years ago
one that was in an asian foreign language so I have no clue what the scam is

Maybe it was just a wrong number?

lady in black
Professor Quiet
12.1.1  lady in black  replied to  Freefaller @12.1    5 years ago

I don't think so because I did get it a couple of times from different numbers

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
13  Freefaller    5 years ago

I must lead a charmed life I had one call about having won a cruise and to call back with a credit card to guarantee my prize (I never called) years ago and that's it.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
14  MrFrost    5 years ago

Who needs these bastards, I got the inside line on a Nigerian Prince. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
14.1  Raven Wing  replied to  MrFrost @14    5 years ago

hey......Hey..... HEY!!! I got first dibs on that Nigerian Prince! He's gonna make me the Queen of Nigeria if I give him all the info he needs.    jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

MrFrost
Professor Expert
14.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  Raven Wing @14.1    5 years ago

They actually caught the guy behind the nigerian prince scam, (seriously), I believe it was an older white guy in Alabama. Long time ago so I forget the specifics. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
14.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  MrFrost @14.1.1    5 years ago

I wondered why the Prince was no longer contacting me. My feelings were really hurt (sniff) because I thought he had found someone else (sniff).

Glad to know he was just caught and didn't cheat on me. jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
14.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  MrFrost @14    5 years ago

I got a fax yesterday with the Nigerian prince scam, but with a twist.  It was a terminally ill heiress in Canada who wanted to leave me her millions, because she was sure I would donate them to charity.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
14.2.1  Raven Wing  replied to  sandy-2021492 @14.2    5 years ago
because she was sure I would donate them to charity.

Emm......my middle name is Charity.....does that count?

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
14.2.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Raven Wing @14.2.1    5 years ago

Go for it.

I'm sure she won't be wanting your routing number or anything jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
14.2.3  Raven Wing  replied to  sandy-2021492 @14.2.2    5 years ago

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

TᵢG
Professor Principal
15  seeder  TᵢG    5 years ago

Here is another humorous adventure in this theme:

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
15.1  Raven Wing  replied to  TᵢG @15    5 years ago

That indeed is very funny. I had a bit of a time clearly understanding his accent at times, but, with the wordings of each part it was pretty easy to follow.

Thanks for sharing this with us. I really needed a good laugh today. (smile)

TᵢG
Professor Principal
15.1.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Raven Wing @15.1    5 years ago

He is a professional comedian.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
15.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  TᵢG @15.1.1    5 years ago

He is really a good comedian. He know very well how to lead into the punch lines. It would likely have been easier for me to follow the dialog if he had not spoken so fast, some of his words seemed to run together.

But, the whole thing was really very funny and I fully enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing! jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
15.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  TᵢG @15    5 years ago

How is it that I see people in that audience who are not laughing?  I've seen this video before, and it still has me cracking up.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
15.2.1  Raven Wing  replied to  sandy-2021492 @15.2    5 years ago

I wondered about that as well. Most of the audience was totally cracking up, but, a few didn't seem to get it. 

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
15.3  Drakkonis  replied to  TᵢG @15    5 years ago

Oh, that was sooooo good!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
16  It Is ME    5 years ago

"how to protect yourself from being scammed."

Don't answer your cellphone EVERY TIME it rings ? jrSmiley_29_smiley_image.gif

I have a rule when it comes to my cell phone use:

"If there is no name attached with the number calling, I won't answer it. The "Voice Mail" service part of your phone will get it for you. There is nothing saying you must call back either.