╌>

Jeffrey Epstein died by suicide in Manhattan jail cell, autopsy report says

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tig  •  5 years ago  •  67 comments

Jeffrey Epstein died by suicide in Manhattan jail cell, autopsy report says
Epstein was not on suicide watch at the time of his death, even though he was found alone in his cell two weeks prior with marks on his neck.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Aug. 16, 2019, 3:38 PM CDT  /  Updated Aug. 16, 2019, 4:31 PM CDT

By   Tom Winter, Rich Schapiro, Jonathan Dienst and Doha Madani

Jeffrey Epstein's death has been ruled a suicide by hanging, the   medical examiner's office   said Friday.

The determination capped days of speculation   and conspiracy theories   after the wealthy financier and accused sex trafficker was found unresponsive in his federal jail cell in lower Manhattan last Saturday.

The ruling wasn't unexpected: multiple law enforcement officials had previously told NBC News that Epstein's death was presumed to be a suicide.

The medical examiner's office completed an autopsy on Sunday but indicated it was waiting for more information from investigators before releasing its final determination. The autopsy revealed that Epstein had   broken a bone in his neck , a source told NBC News Thursday, an injury that can occur in a suicide by hanging.

The death sparked   harsh criticism of the federal prison system   and led former wardens and U.S. lawmakers to question how a high-profile inmate could get the opportunity to take his own life, especially after carrying out what was believed to be   a previous attempt .

"We are not satisfied with the conclusions of the medical examiner's office," Epstein's attorneys said Friday in a statement. "We will have a more complete response in the coming days."

Epstein, 66, was locked up in a special housing unit at the Metropolitan Correctional Center where he was supposed to be checked by guards every 30 minutes.

But a period of hours passed before correctional officers looked in on his cell, and investigators were probing whether they had fallen asleep, multiple officials have told NBC News.

The Justice Department, which oversees the federal prison system, took swift action. The facility's warden was ordered reassigned and the two guards tasked with watching Epstein were placed on leave in the days after the incident.

Attorney General William Barr has said there were "serious irregularities" at the federal jail and insisted investigators "will get to the bottom of what happened and there will be accountability."

"His safety was the responsibility of the MCC. It is indisputable that the authorities violated their own protocols," Epstein's attorneys, Martin G Weinberg, Reid Weingarten and Michael Miller, said in their statement. "The defense team fully intends to conduct its own independent and complete investigation into the circumstances and cause of Mr. Epstein’s death ..."

They added that they would take legal action if necessary to view prison security videos.

Epstein was arrested July 6 on sex trafficking and conspiracy charges. Prosecutors say he sexually abused dozens of underage girls at his homes in New York and Florida in the early 2000s. Epstein was also accused of paying his victims to recruit others, allowing him to build a vast network of girls to exploit.

His lawyers asked a judge to allow him to await trial under house arrest at his Manhattan mansion, but the request was denied.

Less than three weeks before his death, Epstein was found unresponsive in his cell, with marks around his neck, in what authorities were investigating as a suicide attempt.

He was placed under suicide watch in a special cell with near round-the-clock observation. But he was   removed less than a week later   and returned to the special housing unit, where he was held alone in his cell and apparently left unchecked for hours.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1  seeder  TᵢG    5 years ago

Suicide enabled by incompetence?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    5 years ago

I'm not normally the race card guy or the class warfare guy, but the coverage of this story bugs me. People die in local jails every day, and a huge number of them are people of color, or poor whites. No one seems to care. But this fancy white guy dies in jail and it's a national scandal. 

Not that people shouldn't care about this, but they should also care about all the people in custody who die by suicide or murder, get the hell beat out of them, get raped, or see their health fail because no one cares to treat them.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Tacos! @2    5 years ago

I think the interesting part of this story is that a high-profile, well-connected, well-informed, desperate suicide-risk inmate somehow was able to kill himself.

It may just be incredible incompetence, but no way this will not be investigated further.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  TᵢG @2.1    5 years ago
desperate suicide-risk inmate somehow was able to kill himself.

That does indeed puzzle me as well. While the ME has now officially declared that Epstein died from suicide, we still don't know HOW he managed to hang himself. What did he use to hang himself? Why was it available in his cell? It is curious that guards that were supposed to keep a regular check on him went to sleep at the time Epstein was able to hang himself without anyone knowing. 

These are some questions that still need answers, at least for me. Something still smells fishy in NYC to me.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Raven Wing @2.1.1    5 years ago

If there was something to tie it to, a pair of pants could be stretched out to act as a rope.

I agree that there are just too many anomalies here that indicate something was amiss.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.1.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.2    5 years ago
I agree that there are just too many anomalies here that indicate something was amiss.

If the prisoner was wearing a two piece prison outfit then It may be possible to use the shirt or pants as a rope like item to hang themselves with. But, many prisons issue a one piece outfit, so the entire item would have to come off in order to be used to hang themselves with. But, that is just a supposition on my part.

As it has not yet been revealed what was used by Epstein to hang himself, it leaves a question that should be answered. That it is not being revealed seems a bit odd, and remains suspicious.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tacos! @2    5 years ago

All that matters is that pos child molester is dead.  Let God sort it out now.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.2.1  Tacos!  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.2    5 years ago

You determined that without a trial.

You also decided death was the appropriate sentence when our law does not even call for that.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.2.3  MrFrost  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.2    5 years ago

All that matters is that pos child molester is dead.  Let God sort it out now.

Hear hear.. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.2.4  MrFrost  replied to  Tacos! @2.2.1    5 years ago
You also decided death was the appropriate sentence when our law does not even call for that.

Try this movie... It explains a lot, even if it was a low budget movie with luke warm acting. 

The point being that even criminals see child molesters as the lowest of the low. Had Epstein been thrown in prison, he would have been dead in days and I am sure he knew that. His guilt or innocence isn't really at issue because he has been known to be a pedo for decades, he just had not been caught. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.2.5  Tacos!  replied to  MrFrost @2.2.4    5 years ago

The fact that I place a priority on equal justice before the law for all people in no way should be construed as some kind of endorsement or excusing of criminal behavior.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.2.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tacos! @2.2.1    5 years ago

I didn't decide on death, Epstein did.  He was his own judge, jury, and executioner.  I would have preferred that he went to trial so that all of the shit could come out.  Heads would have rolled, careers would be ruined, and the mighty would fall.  Epstein took all of that off of the table.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.2.7  MrFrost  replied to  Tacos! @2.2.5    5 years ago

The fact that I place a priority on equal justice before the law for all people in no way should be construed as some kind of endorsement or excusing of criminal behavior.

Nor did I claim you did. I was simply pointing out that pedo's don't do well in prison. 

lady in black
Professor Quiet
6  lady in black    5 years ago

Items he could have used:  jumpsuit, separate top or bottom, sheet, and underwear.  

If one really wants to die they will find a way.  

I don't give in to any of the conspiracy theories. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7  It Is ME    5 years ago

"Jeffrey Epstein died by suicide in Manhattan jail cell, autopsy report says"

Oh Well. Couldn't have happened to a better guy.

Now let's get on with the investigation of who else was involved !

That's what I'm willing to "Sit" for awhile and make popcorn over . 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.1  MrFrost  replied to  It Is ME @7    5 years ago
Now let's get on with the investigation of who else was involved !
Suicide is the act of intentionally causing one's own death . [7] Mental disorders, including depression , bipolar disorder , schizophrenia , personality disorders , anxiety disorders , and substance abuse —including alcoholism and the use of benzodiazepines —are risk factors. [2] [4] [8] Some suicides are impulsive acts due to stress, such as from financial difficulties, troubles with relationships, or bullying. [2] [9] Those who have previously attempted suicide are at a higher risk for future attempts. [2] Effective suicide prevention efforts include limiting access to methods of suicide—such as firearms , drugs, and poisons; treating mental disorders and substance misuse; proper media reporting of suicide; and improving economic conditions. [2] [10] Even though crisis hotlines are common, there is little evidence for their effectiveness. [11] [12]

Suicide is a solo act, so not sure who else can be involved. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  MrFrost @7.1    5 years ago
Suicide is a solo act, so not sure who else can be involved. 

I was speaking of the case he was originally put in jail for.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  It Is ME @7    5 years ago

Make it a jumbo buttered and I will bring the beer.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.3.1  It Is ME  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.3    5 years ago

jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
8  Colour Me Free    5 years ago

Here is my conspiracy ...

I question the coroners report  .. it was supposedly hours that he had not been checked on, yet he is 'found hanging' then transported by EMS to New York Downtown hospital in cardiac arrest at 6:30am - then pronounced dead by hospital staff...?

.. it is said Epstein was found dead in his cell after hanging himself with a sheet .. so was it death by hanging or cardiac arrest?  Perhaps the job was completed in the ambulance on the way to the hospital, or at the hospital breaking the hyoid?  : )

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
9  Thrawn 31    5 years ago

Meh, a dead child molester is a dead child molester. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10  Sparty On    5 years ago

Well, it’s easy to have little sympathy for this POS but that’s beside the point.    Lady justice is not suppose to be emotional or biased.    And is suppose to protect everyone equally.    POS or not.

The cogent part of this discussion is how a clear suicide risk was allowed to off himself.    It raises a plethora of questions.     No doubt about it 

katrix
Sophomore Participates
10.2  katrix  replied to  Sparty On @10    5 years ago
The cogent part of this discussion is how a clear suicide risk was allowed to off himself.

Yep. Someone did not do their job. It may not be possible to prevent it when someone is really determined - but they apparently made no effort at all.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
11  Jeremy Retired in NC    5 years ago

Not losing any sleep over the suicide of a pedophile.  He just saved the taxpayers millions.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
12  Sparty On    5 years ago

Now there's issues with the surveillance video around his cell.

This whole thing is beginning to smell more and more like week old stink fish

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
12.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Sparty On @12    5 years ago

Awww - don't badmouth BF thataway - he bathes daily - not necessarily in clean water - but he bathes.