╌>

Steve King Says He Deserves Apology Over Coverage Of His Rape, Incest Comments

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  5 years ago  •  7 comments

Steve King Says He Deserves Apology Over Coverage Of His Rape, Incest Comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Rep.  Steve King  (R-Iowa) said Republican leadership and “ vibrant left-wing media ” owe him an apology over their response to recent comments he made while defending his extreme anti-abortion views in which he appeared to downplay rape and incest.

The congressman, who has a long history of espousing  white supremacist beliefs , faced renewed calls for his resignation after he made the  controversial remarks  at his town hall in Urbandale, Iowa, on Wednesday.

“What if we went back through all the family trees and just pulled out anyone who was a product of rape or incest?” King said on Wednesday. “Would there be any population of the world left if we did that? Considering all the wars and all the rapes and pillages that happened throughout all these different nations, I know that I can’t say that I was not a part of a product of that.”

King made the bizarre statement while defending his belief that anti-abortion legislation that makes exceptions for victims of rape and incest doesn’t go far enough. The remarks drew heated backlash from Democrats and some Republicans.

During another town hall event on Saturday in Buena Vista County, King defended his rape and incest comments and suggested he was the victim of a “very active and vibrant left-wing media.”

Iowans “know it’s a misquote and they know that [the Associated Press] has, I’ll say, retracted the quote that they initially used because they relied on the Des Moines Register who did the same,” he said. 

He continued: “And so when we have a national, viral attack that comes down on a misquote ... all the folks that did that attack, I think they owe me an apology, including my own leadership. I don’t expect that’s going to happen because egos are a little too strong in this business.”The “misquote” King mentioned was a reference to a correction  the AP made to its story about the rape and incest comments. The news outlet, citing the Register, originally quoted King as stating, “It’s not the baby’s fault for the sin of the father, or of the mother.”

King, referring to other members of the House who support banning abortion, actually said, “I’ve got 174 people who say they don’t want exceptions for rape and incest because they understand it is not the baby’s fault, to abort the baby, because of the sin of the father, and maybe sometimes the sin of the mother too.”

Video from the town hall (see below) shows King’s other comments, including his statements about rape and incest, were reported accurately.

Other members of the GOP bashed the comments, with Iowa Republican Party Chairman Jeff Kaufmann calling them “outrageous” and “not reflective of the Republican Party of Iowa.”

Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming, the third-ranking Republican in the House, described King’s remarks as “appalling and bizarre” and  once again  called on him to resign.

Asked Thursday if he believes King should step down,  President Donald Trump claimed  he didn’t know about “the situation.”

“It looked like — I read a statement that supposedly he made. I haven’t been briefed on it,” he said. “But certainly it wasn’t a very good statement.”

This article originally appeared on HuffPost .

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

He continued: “And so when we have a national, viral attack that comes down on a misquote ... all the folks that did that attack, I think they owe me an apology, including my own leadership. I don’t expect that’s going to happen because egos are a little too strong in this business.”The “misquote” King mentioned was a reference to  a correction  the AP made to its story about the rape and incest comments. The news outlet, citing the Register, originally quoted King as stating, “It’s not the baby’s fault for the sin of the father, or of the mother.”

No misquote you racist inbred moron.

No one owes you DICK!

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1  Jack_TX  replied to  Tessylo @1    5 years ago
No misquote

Well....technically he was misquoted.

His problem is that the actual correct quote wasn't much better.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
2  luther28    5 years ago

Boo, hoo poor fellow.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3  Ronin2    5 years ago

I will give him credit; he doubled down on his asinine comment.  He definitely believes his own garbage.

Seems the rest of the Republicans in Congress don't agree with him, no matter what he claims.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4  MrFrost    5 years ago

He's an idiot. Not sure if I feel sorry for the people who voted for this asshat or not. Ole stevie needs to be shown the door. 

He not only sees his original comment as justified and true, he now wants an apology for getting slammed for it? Holy shit. Not sure if that's arrogance or stupidity but either way, it's unacceptable. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5  seeder  Tessylo    5 years ago

It's arrogance and stupidity, like the majority of the gop.