╌>

Police thwarted six mass shootings and white supremacist attacks since El Paso

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  7 comments

Police thwarted six mass shootings and white supremacist attacks since El Paso

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

In the two weeks since a gunman killed 22 people in El Paso , law enforcement officials say they have thwarted six separate mass shootings or white supremacist attacks across the US.

At least four of the alleged foiled plots also appeared to involve men espousing far-right viewpoints and racist ideologies, with echoes of the Texas massacre. The 21-year-old suspect in that shooting, considered the deadliest anti-Latino attack in modern US history, allegedly authored a racist anti-immigrant “manifesto”.

In online posts and in their alleged planned massacres, the suspects in these recent cases targeted LGBTQ people, Jewish people, black Americans, Latinos and Muslims, according to law enforcement and media reports on the six men. Four of them were white men in their 20s, and all but one of them were believed to be armed, some with extensive weaponry.

A timeline of foiled plots

8 August, Nevada

Five days after the El Paso attack police arrested 23-year-old Conor Climo, saying the Las Vegas man wanted to attack Jews and an LGBTQ bar and was trying to build a bomb . The US Attorney’s office said he was “communicating with individuals who identified with a white supremacist extremist organization”. During encrypted conversations online, he would regularly use racist, antisemtic and anti-gay slurs, authorities said.

Climo was charged with possession of illegal firearms and destructive devices.

15 August, Connecticut

One week later, Brandon Wagshol, 22, was taken into custody in Connecticut after he allegedly wrote on Facebook that he was interested in committing a mass shooting, the FBI said . Police had received a tip that he was looking to buy ammunition out of state and had written on social media about building his own rifle with gun parts he had purchased online, authorities said.

Wagshol was charged on Thursday with illegal possession of large capacity ammunition magazines, and law enforcement allegedly seized firearms and body armor from his home. The guns were reportedly registered to his father. One news report suggested he had posted racist and anti-transgender comments online.

16 August, Florida

In Daytona Beach, Florida, 25-year-old Tristan Scott Wix was arrested on Friday after he allegedly sent violent and threatening text messages to his ex-girlfriend, saying he wanted to commit a mass shooting, according to the local sheriff’s office . His texts, police said, included: “I’d wanna break a world record for longest confirmed kill ever” and “A good 100 kills would be nice. I already have a location.”

Wix told detectives he didn’t own firearms but was fascinated with mass shootings, the sheriff’s department said.

17 August, Ohio

The following day, police in New Middletown, Ohio, charged 20-year-old James P Reardon with telecommunications harassment and aggravated menacing, saying he had threatened to commit a shooting at a local Jewish community center. The FBI said he had posted a video on Instagram depicting himself as a shooter, saying he was a “white nationalist”, and tagging the nearby Jewish organization.

Police recovered assault rifles, ammunition, a gas mask, bulletproof armor and antisemitic propaganda at his home, authorities said . WYTV, an Ohio news station, reported that he had attended the violent white nationalist Charlottesville rally in 2017.

20 August, Florida and Tennessee

US authorities announced on Tuesday the arrest of Maryland resident Eric Lin, 35, who had allegedly made a series of social media threats against Hispanics in the Miami area. On Facebook, he threatened a Hispanic woman and her family, praised Hitler, and called for the extermination of Spanish-speaking people, Muslims and black Americans, the FBI said .

He also allegedly wrote , “I Thank God everyday President Donald John Trump is President”, saying he expected Trump to launch a racist war.

Also on Tuesday, law enforcement announced the arrest of Thomas Matthew McVicker , a 38-year-old truck driver accused of threatening a mass shooting at a Memphis, Tennessee, church. His mother reportedly told the FBI he owned a Ruger P90 handgun, though the motive of his potential attack was unclear.

Attorneys for the suspects did not immediately respond to inquiries or could not be reached.

‘This is the new normal’

Brian Levin, the director for the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism, said there is often a cluster of violent threats and possible copycat attacks after high-profile mass shootings. But he also expected there could be more families and friends reporting their loved ones who may be plotting shootings.

“This is the new normal,” he said. “The people most able to thwart these attacks are often not law enforcement, but those closest to them – friends, family, coworkers and fellow students … We’re not dealing with foreign-based terrorists, but the mass killer down the block.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago
US authorities announced on Tuesday the arrest of Maryland resident Eric Lin, 35, who had allegedly made a series of social media threats against Hispanics in the Miami area. On Facebook, he threatened a Hispanic woman and her family, praised Hitler, and called for the extermination of Spanish-speaking people, Muslims and black Americans, the FBI said .

He also allegedly wrote , “I Thank God everyday President Donald John Trump is President”, saying he expected Trump to launch a racist war.

The chickens are coming home to roost. 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
2  Enoch    5 years ago

Dear Friend John Russell: Good the police were successful in preventing needless and tragic bloodshed.

I am proud of those who serve and protect who prevent loss of life and limb.  

Good article John.

Thanks for posting.

P&AB.

Enoch.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

The article, and you, speak of four white nationalists out of 6 prevented mass shootings.  Can you describe the other two shooters, their loyalties and intentions as fully as the four?

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
3.1  Old Hermit  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    5 years ago
Can you describe the other two shooters

I think it's these two since they're the only two I see that aren't thanking Trump and shouting, "Jews will no replace us" type sentiments to justify their actions.

One looks like a John Hinckley Jr wanna-be, looking to kill a bunch of folk to impress his girlfriend and the other looks like he's going to try the David Berkowitz, "Son of Sam" defense.

He confessed to all of them, and initially claimed to have been obeying the orders of a demon manifested in the form of a dog named "Harvey" which belonged to his neighbor "Sam"

16 August, Florida
25-year-old Tristan Scott Wix - sent violent and threatening text messages to his ex-girlfriend, saying he wanted to commit a mass shooting, according to the local sheriff’s office. His texts, police said, included: “I’d wanna break a world record for longest confirmed kill ever,” and, “A good 100 kills would be nice. I already have a location.”

20 August, Tennessee

38-year-oldThomas Matthew McVicker - allegedly planned to commit a mass shooting at a church in Memphis, Tennessee.

Authorities apprehended 38-year-old Thomas Matthew McVicker in Indianapolis a few days before his planned attack.

Federal investigators were tipped off about McVicker's plan by one of his friends. She told FBI agents that he planned on "shooting a church up" while he was visiting Memphis and that he "intended to take his knife and slit the pastor's throat."

"I was thinking about shooting a church up, but I'm afraid how it will affect my family in the flesh after I'm gone," McVicker wrote in text messages to his friend. "So, I think I'm just gonna kill some people on the street and get away with it then kill myself."

She told the FBI that McVicker claimed "evil entities entered his body and are torturing him." He told her "they put spiritual snakes and spiders in my bed at night," and that he "can feel them crawling on me and under me."

The FBI interviewed McVicker's mother, who told the agents that her son is being treated for schizophrenia and has a history of cocaine and methamphetamine use.

Officials did not reveal the details of McVicker's arrest or why he was in Indianapolis. They also did not give a motive for his planned attack or whether he was targeting a specific church.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
4  lady in black    5 years ago

These are trump's fine people. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Trump met with the head of the NRA in the Oval Office yesterday. It is said that by the time the meeting ended Trump was parroting NRA talking points. 

Just a few days ago Trump was talking about the need for expanded background checks. Now he says we have enough background checks.  

Someone told him that gun lovers are his political base. lol