╌>

AOC, Omar, Tlaib Silent As Palestinians Outlaws LGBT Activity in West Bank

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  badfish-hd-h-u  •  5 years ago  •  85 comments

AOC, Omar, Tlaib Silent As Palestinians Outlaws LGBT Activity in West Bank

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

They would have gone nuclear if Israel did this.

Via   PJM :

Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.), Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.), and Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) have remained silent after the Palestinian Authority banned LGBT activity in the West Bank. These members of “The Squad” have supported legislation praising the Boycott-Divestment-Sanctions (BDS) movement against Israel and voted against legislation condemning it. PJ Media reached out to them for comment on the move, and they have remained silent.

Early Monday morning, The Jerusalem Post reported that the PA and Palestine Police had outlawed LGBT activity in the West Bank and threatened to arrest members of the LGBT group Al-Qaws for Sexual & Gender Diversity in Palestinian Society. Al-Qaws was planning a gathering for members in Nablus at the end of the month. The group only has offices in Israel — in East Jerusalem and in Haifa.

Luay Zreikat, a spokesman for Palestine Police, said LGBT activities are “harmful to the higher values and ideals of Palestinian society.” He added that Al-Qaws’s activities are completely “unrelated to religions and Palestinian traditions and customs, especially in the city of Nablus.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2  It Is ME    5 years ago

"AOC, Omar, Tlaib Silent As Palestinians Outlaws LGBT Activity in West Bank"

Wouldn't be Prudent ! jrSmiley_19_smiley_image.gif

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1  Sparty On  replied to  It Is ME @2    5 years ago

Not gonna do it!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Btw, from the mainstream media:

Palestinian police vow crackdown on LGBTQ events in West Bank

Palestinian police have threatened to arrest anyone involved in an upcoming gathering planned by LGBTQ activists in the northern West Bank town of Nablus.
Where is the outrage?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3    5 years ago

I know.

Once again hypocrisy pervades the situation.

Watch for it now though.   Many will start jumping on the bandwagon now.

Which is actually is even worse IMO since it's not their first response and likely a lie.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @3.2    5 years ago
Watch for it now though.   Many will start jumping on the bandwagon now. Which is actually is even worse IMO since it's not their first response and likely a lie.

And that is what most politicians do. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3    5 years ago

What I am seeing here in this seed is a whole lot of people who were against LGBTQ rights or made some not-so-funny jokes about it that are now jumping on the LGBTQ rights band wagon.

I guess hypocrisy is ok when it allows one to bash a group that they can't stand over another group they can't stand.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.4.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.4    5 years ago
What I am seeing here in this seed is a whole lot of people who were against LGBTQ rights or made some not-so-funny jokes about it that are now jumping on the LGBTQ rights band wagon.

You werent actually expecting otherwise were you? 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.4.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @3.4.1    5 years ago

No, I guess not. But it is amazing to me that I see conservative commenters complaining that the left is strangely silent while these same commenters complain about LGBTQ people being granted "special rights". But since it's Palestinians who are bashing the gays, it's ok to side with the gays...but just for today. Tomorrow they'll be back to bashing the gays again.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.4.3  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.4    5 years ago

'What I am seeing here in this seed is a whole lot of people who were against LGBTQ rights or made some not-so-funny jokes about it that are now jumping on the LGBTQ rights band wagon.

I guess hypocrisy is ok when it allows one to bash a group that they can't stand over another group they can't stand.'

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.4.5  Trout Giggles  replied to    5 years ago

In what way?

I've never seen Tessy bash Muslims or LGBTQs.

I have seen many cons on here bash both....but now they supporting the gays because it gives them a chance to bash Muslims

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.4.6  Texan1211  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.4.5    5 years ago
I've never seen Tessy bash Muslims or LGBTQs.

Then it is obvious you have either missed her posts bashing people who she thinks are gay, or you didn't consider it gay-bashing because, of course, she referred to a Republican.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4  Ronin2    5 years ago

Between the PA and Hamas the Palestinians have no one to represent them. Just two corrupt organizations more concerned about staying in power than helping their people.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1  Sparty On  replied to  Ronin2 @4    5 years ago

Well, to be honest, we have the same problem.   At least for many in congress we do.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Sparty On @4.1    5 years ago

I won't go as far as saying our politicians are as bad as the PA or Hamas; but at times they do make one wonder.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Ronin2 @4.1.1    5 years ago

The concept is exactly the same IMO.   Just implemented in a more "civil" manner on our side of the pond.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    5 years ago

I'm not going to say nothing Israel does is above reproach. They are imperfect like anyone. But it just blows my mind that they are constantly treated like oppressors even though they are the freest most just country in the region and surrounded by countries who have sworn to destroy them. Even worse, the same people who are the ones who most accuse them of oppression are the ones who treat women like cattle and throw homosexuals off of buildings. And the media doesn't bat an eye.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tacos! @5    5 years ago

And Israel 🇮🇱 is one of the most tolerant of LGBT rights in the would and gay and lesbian American Jews are excluded from many LGBT 🏳️‍🌈 events here

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Dulay  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.1    5 years ago
gay and lesbian American Jews are excluded from many LGBT 🏳️‍🌈 events here

Excluding a flag doesn't exclude a person. 

Fail.

JumpDrive
Freshman Silent
7  JumpDrive    5 years ago

This seed is shown to be false with one google search. The Jerusalem Post published the Palestinian action on Monday morning. Omar & Tlaib retweeted a link to "Five Ways to Support Palestinian Queers" Monday evening. Omar went on to say “LGBTQ rights are human rights..."

JumpDrive
Freshman Silent
7.1  JumpDrive  replied to  JumpDrive @7    5 years ago

P.S. I'm sure Evangelicals get wet when the see people doing what the Palestinians did. When they weren't successful getting that kind of legal action here, the sent 'missionaries' to Uganda to fuck-over the LGBT community.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  JumpDrive @7.1    5 years ago

I'm sure that evangelicals wield a lot of political power in Uganda.

/s

JumpDrive
Freshman Silent
7.1.2  JumpDrive  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.1    5 years ago
I'm sure that evangelicals wield a lot of political power in Uganda

Read about it. They had an enormous effect.

CB
Professor Principal
9  CB    5 years ago

Hmm.

CB
Professor Principal
11  CB    5 years ago

I do not even know where to start with this article. It seems to have a life of its own. So, I'm out!

Update: So I read "JumpDrive's comment @ 7 and got some direction to go in on this one.

LGBTQ rights are human rights and we should condemn any effort to infringe upon them.

But we should also condemn any effort to equate this with the occupation or use this as a distraction.

— Ilhan Omar (@IlhanMN) August 19, 2019

I hate misleading articles! Especially the ones which are hard to validate with research. Kudos to JumpDrive for constructive participation with this story!