╌>

Michigan city council candidate wants to keep town 'a white community'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  freefaller  •  5 years ago  •  16 comments

Michigan city council candidate wants to keep town 'a white community'

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A candidate running for city council in Michigan told attendees at a forum Thursday night that she wants to keep the town's demographics as "white" as possible.

The Port Huron Times Herald reported that Jean Cramer, one of five candidates running for an open seat in Marysville, vowed to work to keep the town "a white community as much as possible" if she's elected.

The remark was reportedly in response to a question from the moderator, who asked, "Do you believe the diversity of our community needs to be looked at, and if so, should we be more aggressive in attracting foreign-born citizens?"

Kathy Hayman, the town's mayor pro tem, said she was "shocked and upset" by Cramer's comment, adding that she has black family members.

"I don't even know that I can talk yet, I'm so upset and shocked. My father was a hundred percent Syrian, and they owned the Lynwood Bar. It was a grocery store at that time. So basically, what you've said is that my father and his family had no business to be in this community," Hayman said, according to the Times Herald.

"My son-in-law is a black man and I have biracial grandchildren," she reportedly added. "And I take this very personally, what you've said, and I know that there's nothing I can say that's going to change your mind."

In a statement to the Times Herald following the forum, Cramer denied being racist but said that she was against interracial marriage, calling Hayman's family "wrong."

"As long as, how can I put this? What Kathy Hayman doesn't know is that her family is in the wrong," she said. "[A] husband and wife need to be the same race. Same thing with kids. That's how it's been from the beginning of, how can I say, when God created the heaven and the earth. He created Adam and Eve at the same time. But as far as me being against blacks, no I'm not."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Freefaller    5 years ago
reported that Jean Cramer, one of five candidates running for an open seat in Marysville,

Well I'm fairly certain I know who's not winning the open seat

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Freefaller @1    5 years ago

I wish I could be sure.  I'm not.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    5 years ago

The information in wikipedia is from the 2010 census, so may be outdated, but it indicates a town population of about 10,000, of which .3% is black.  .3% is 3/10 of one percent, or 30 people.  So in a town of 10,000 people, 30 are black, and this woman is concerned.  But there may be a 'reason' why. In the 2000 census there were only 18 black people living in the town. Over the course of 10 years the neighborhood went to hell because 12 more blacks moved in. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @2    5 years ago

If this racist wins, I am betting that the old practice of buying the homes at inflated value of any black families to force them out makes a comeback.  The movie A Raisin In The Sun showcased that very practice.  Either that or make it so uncomfortable for those families that they will leave town.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1    5 years ago

She dropped out of the race.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1.1    5 years ago

Evidently not to be forgotten!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1.1    5 years ago

That is a good thing.  TY for the 411.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.1.4  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1.1    5 years ago
She dropped out of the race

Lol probably a good decision, thanks for the update

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1.5  Split Personality  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1.1    5 years ago

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3  MrFrost    5 years ago

What an asshole. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     5 years ago

Not much to be said about that comment. It speaks for itself.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Kavika @4    5 years ago

Yup it does

Enoch
Masters Quiet
5  Enoch    5 years ago

Don't they get it?

We are all members of the same human family.

I guess some are just a tad slow on the uptake.

Peace, Abundant and Diverse Blessings to One and All.

Enoch.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Enoch @5    5 years ago

As always you are correct Enoch

Enoch
Masters Quiet
5.1.1  Enoch  replied to  Freefaller @5.1    5 years ago

Thanks

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
6  Drakkonis    5 years ago
"Do you believe the diversity of our community needs to be looked at, and if so, should we be more aggressive in attracting foreign-born citizens?"

I found this question kind of strange. Is this a normal question for a small town city council race? I find it surprising that such a concern would even be on the radar for a small town. I wonder if the moderator had some idea of Jean Cramer's views on the subject prior to the debate and asked this question specifically to expose her views on it.