╌>

Ruth Bader Ginsburg underwent treatment for tumor on pancreas, Supreme Court says

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tig  •  5 years ago  •  69 comments

Ruth Bader Ginsburg underwent treatment for tumor on pancreas, Supreme Court says
The 86-year-old justice missed oral arguments in January for the first time in her years on the court recuperating from a previous cancer scare.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By   Adam Edelman

Supreme Court Associate Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg recently underwent a fresh round of treatment for a cancerous tumor on her pancreas, the high court said in a statement Friday.

The three-week radiation treatment, performed at the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City, was administered after doctors discovered a "localized malignant tumor" on her pancreas on July 31, the statement said.

The treatment — called stereotactic ablative radiation therapy — was administered in an outpatient setting for a three-week period that began Aug. 5. Doctors also inserted a bile duct stent as part of the treatment, which Ginsburg completed Friday, the court said.

In the statement, the court said that Ginsburg "tolerated treatment well" and that "no further treatment is needed at this time."

"The tumor was treated definitively and there is no evidence of disease elsewhere in the body," the court said. "Justice Ginsburg will continue to have periodic blood tests and scans."

The tumor is the 86-year-old justice’s latest cancer scare. She has suffered a number of health setbacks in recent months, including a fall that fractured three ribs in November followed by surgery to   remove two cancerous growths from her lung   at the end of December. She missed oral arguments for a case in January, the first time she had missed courtroom arguments in 25 years.

Ginsburg had been diagnosed with colon cancer in 1999 and pancreatic cancer in 2009.

Pancreatic cancer is usually diagnosed at later stages of the disease, because its earliest symptoms can be quite vague, including loss of appetite, depression, jaundice, fatigue and abdominal pain.

The vast majority of pancreatic cancer patients will die within five years of diagnosis, according to the American Cancer Society. Just 9 percent are expected to survive more than five years.

By all accounts, Ginsberg has tolerated this most recent radiation treatment well.

"A three-week course of radiation for pancreas cancer is moving into the standard of care," said Dr. Kenneth Merrell, a radiation oncologist at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. Merrell has not treated Justice Ginsberg.

"We are finding that this is a very tolerable course of treatment with little impact on the patient's quality of life," Merrell told NBC News.

Affectionately known as "RBG," Ginsburg is the court's oldest serving justice and was nominated in 1993 by then-President Bill Clinton.

If the liberal Ginsburg were to step down from the bench, that would enable President Donald Trump to name her replacement. The nine-person court is currently made up of five justices nominated by Republican presidents and four nominated by Democratic presidents. Trump has so far nominated, and seen confirmed, two of the justices, Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky.,   has said that if a Supreme Court vacancy were to emerge next year, he would act to fill it quickly — a stark divergence from his decision   in 2016 to block the consideration of President Barack Obama’s Supreme Court nominee, Merrick Garland, after the death of Justice Antonin Scalia earlier that year.

Ginsburg, however, has vowed to stay on the court for several more years, if possible.

Last August, she told CNN that she had no intention of retiring in the near future.

"My senior colleague, Justice John Paul Stevens, stepped down when he was 90, so I think I have about at least five more years,"   she said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1  seeder  TᵢG    5 years ago
Ginsburg had been diagnosed with colon cancer in 1999 and pancreatic cancer in 2009. Ginsburg, however, has vowed to stay on the court for several more years, if possible.

Got to admire her tenacity.

Ginsburg, however, has vowed to stay on the court for several more years, if possible.

Several.  If Trump is reelected he will likely nominate her replacement.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @1    5 years ago
Got to admire her tenacity.

Indeed. That and other qualities she has too.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Gordy327 @1.2    5 years ago

That she does, however there were some who thought she should retire while Obama was president, so he could name a replacement. She said the same thing then as she said now. "At my age you have to take it year-by-year."  Who can argue with that?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  TᵢG @1    5 years ago

She is one tough cookie, that is for sure.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2  pat wilson    5 years ago

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said Tuesday that she is "very much alive," tamping down concerns that recent health issues could cause her to leave the bench.

"There was a senator, I think it was after my pancreatic cancer [in 2009], who announced with great glee that I was going to be dead within six months," she told National Public Radio . "That senator, whose name I've forgotten, is now himself dead and I am very much alive."

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    5 years ago

She's going to live to be 100. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @3    5 years ago

She is great at defying the odds so who knows?

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.1  CB  replied to  TᵢG @3.1    5 years ago

Well, she has her exercise program and she has really good healthcare. To see the problems and issues with her early. 

I am really glad to read she is in positive spirits! All these internal cutting, sewing, and wound closing on a woman in her 80's can not be what J. Ginsberg had planned for her old age. Each time I see her now, I can not help think Barack Obama should have offered to replace her on the Court. Then again, may be it was her who did not express an interest in leaving!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @3    5 years ago

I am betting more than that.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @3    5 years ago

Could be, John. She has taken care of herself.

JBB
Professor Principal
4  JBB    5 years ago

Providence willing The Indomitable RBG will tenaciously persevere for years...

CB
Professor Principal
4.1  CB  replied to  JBB @4    5 years ago

We do have to pray and/or send our best wishes to her. Then work hard to win this 2020 election. Forces are building against Donald Trump, but life has a way of leaning into Donald Trump (J. Kennedy swerved "into" Trump after all the beneficial years of opinings). Strange things can happen in political 'years.' Justice Ginsberg is honestly contending to keep up her part of this 'bargain.' Now come 2020 liberals in this country have to take care of their part. And, let her go 'rest'!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  CB @4.1    5 years ago
Then work hard to win this 2020 election.

I'll see you at the polls come election day!

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
5  Jack_TX    5 years ago

I disagree with RBG on almost every issue I can think of.  But I wish her health, long life, and happiness.

So to my batshit crazy liberal/leftist friends who have spent the day dancing on David Koch's grave... do you see how this works?

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
7  JaneDoe    5 years ago

What a strong woman. I wish her the best.

CB
Professor Principal
8  CB    5 years ago
"My senior colleague, Justice John Paul Stevens, stepped down when he was 90, so I think I have about at least five more years," she said.

May God richly bless you, RBG! (But in 2020 when a democrat president wins - take that as a sign - go enjoy your twilight years!)

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  CB @8    5 years ago
(But in 2020 when a democrat president wins - take that as a sign - go enjoy your twilight years!)

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Tacos!
Professor Guide
10  Tacos!    5 years ago

I think it's encouraging to see any somewhat good news in connection with pancreatic cancer. That variety, in particular seems like it's almost always fatal by the time they find it.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
10.1  MrFrost  replied to  Tacos! @10    5 years ago

Patrick Swayze comes to mind.