╌>

A Body Language Expert Breaks Down *That* Photo of Melania Trump and Justin Trudeau

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  5 years ago  •  33 comments

A Body Language Expert Breaks Down *That* Photo of Melania Trump and Justin Trudeau
Noted Twitter fanatic Donald Trump was probably not pleased when he opened the app this morning.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The hashtag #MelaniaLovesTrudeau began trending on Monday morning after an image of First Lady Melania Trump greeting Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau with a double cheek kiss at the G7 summit began making the rounds. Melania, clad in a red  sheath  dress , appeared to be gazing lovingly at Trudeau (who's become something of a nerdy sex symbol in the realm of international politics), while clutching her husband's hand.

The gesture itself is innocent enough — anyone who's ever met a European has probably been subjected to this forced intimacy at one time or another — but there was just  something  about the image that got people talking.

In order to figure out just what about the picture was making the internet feel some type of way, we spoke with body language expert Patti Wood, author of  Snap: Making the Most of First Impressions, Body Language, and Charisma .   Here, Wood breaks down the photo point by point — from the hand hold to *that look*.

Wood : "Let’s talk about something that other people might not notice, which is part of what makes it such a dramatic photo, and that’s the hand hold.

[Donald and Melania] as a couple often hold hands, and one of the things I find interesting about that is typically, in a hand hold, you think it’s a reflection of the tenderness and affection in a relationship. But over time, after analyzing photos of the two of them since he became president, I often see that hand hold as a requirement; he is often leading her, pulling her, and walking ahead of her while holding her hand.

So what we’ve seen over time is that that hand hold doesn’t mean the affection that it does in most couples . . . (cont'd in article)

RELATED: Decoding Melania Trump's Body Language Before and After Stormy Daniels

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

The way she looks at him:

"The most significant is the way she’s looking at [Trudeau]. Again, the other thing you usually do in this greeting is you aim, you kiss, but you shut your eyes, and her eyes are not shut. And if you look at his lashes, his eyes are not shut either.

She’s looking with pleasure — It’s a delight to kiss you. I desire it. Her offering up, the way her neck is arched up, the way her mouth is placed up, the lips are partially pursed for the kiss, plus the look — there’s a reason that some people have made this into a romantic novel cover, because if that was just from the shoulders up, it would look like a romantic. The body language is that of a romantic kiss.

There’s nothing offhand or spontaneous [given that they were at a photo op]. This is something she’s doing purposefully."

flameaway
Freshman Quiet
1.1  flameaway  replied to  Krishna @1    5 years ago

It's a cheek kiss and you are seeing a single frame.  Sort of a traditional greeting in certain circles.  It's getting the full on meme treatment though.  Clever camera angle.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  flameaway @1.1    5 years ago
It's a cheek kiss and you are seeing a single frame

Take a look at the expression on her face....

flameaway
Freshman Quiet
1.1.2  flameaway  replied to  Krishna @1.1.1    5 years ago

I did. That's a kissy face. Because she's fixing to give that dude a smack on the cheek. Lucky man. As far as I can tell Melanie is sort of a decent woman.  Basing that on interviews I saw done in her hometown.  People seemed to like her.

Don't really know though.  She seems rather able to put Orange's ayss in line whenever she feels like it.

There's something to like.

It's a great photo... don't get me wrong.  Tells a story... awesome composition... compelling.

And it's a cheek kiss.

Been awesome if she'd patted him on the tushie though. News story worth reading right there.

Donald looks like he's trying to trod on minions.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1.3  SteevieGee  replied to  flameaway @1.1    5 years ago

The best part is Donnie's down cast cuckold eyes.  I'd bet Donnie hasn't touched her in years.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.4  MrFrost  replied to  SteevieGee @1.1.3    5 years ago
I'd bet Donnie hasn't touched her in years.

I'd bet that's because she doesn't want him to. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

Trump’s facial expression:

"[Melania's] making a decision to do what we are seeing. She’s making a decision to do a seductive kiss while holding hands with her husband, and that choice is affecting her husband. We don’t know whether it’s motivated to make him do that, but we can say she’s choosing to do that while holding his hand in this very public setting. This choice in that moment is making him look down in petulance and anger.

If you look at how the chin is brought in, he’s looking down. Look at the lips, you’ll see that they’re closed and turning down at the ends. If you look all around the eyes you’ll see the tension on his brow as he looks down. The brow has what I call the 'wicked look.' The muffles over the eyes have that V, and so it ends up on the face as very angular, and that’s one of the signals of anger."

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.2  bbl-1  replied to  Krishna @2    5 years ago

Do not believe Melania was holding hands with her husband--Trump. 

Rather, Trump was gripping Melania's hand as a show----and a show of dominance.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.1  Ozzwald  replied to  bbl-1 @2.2    5 years ago
Rather, Trump was gripping Melania's hand as a show----and a show of dominance.

If it was a show of dominance, he would have further requirements of her, least of which requiring her to stay in the White house with him.

I agree with the "expert", it has been impressed on Melania that hand holding is a requirement.  Especially after the video of her swatting him away.  That video, undoubtedly, caused Trump some extreme embarrassment, and through threats or promises impressed on her the need to never do it again.  The result is his holding her hand the same way someone would hold his dog's leash.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3  Paula Bartholomew    5 years ago

I wish the expert had addressed the incident where Melania was all smiles standing behind Trump.  He turned and said something to her and suddenly she looked positively crushed and on the verge of tears.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3.1  lady in black  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3    5 years ago

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  lady in black @3.1    5 years ago

What Exactly Is Going On With Donald And Melania’s Body Language?

Excellent video-- thanks for posting it! :-)

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  lady in black @3.1    5 years ago

Good video.  TY for posting it.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  lady in black @3.1    5 years ago

I wish I knew what the  hell he said to her 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.1.4  Raven Wing  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.3    5 years ago

Probably something along the line of "Shutup! Or I'll send you back where you came from!"

Krishna
Professor Expert
4  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5  bbl-1    5 years ago

In other photos taken during this ( incident ) the expression on Brigitte Macron's face is--------------interesting.  She watched every bit of it.

I suspect Trump was aware and-----------what was he going to do?

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  bbl-1 @5    5 years ago

what was he going to do?

Probably what he usually does-- distract by bringing up one false claim or another.

For example, the claim how he's fulfilled campaign promises by building new border wall. 

But his blatant lies are becoming so absurd now even some of his most ardent supporters are starting to rebel:

FOX NEWS SHREDS TRUMP OVER FALSE CLAIMS ABOUT BORDER WALL . . . 'THERE'S NO NEW WALL!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.2  cjcold  replied to  bbl-1 @5    5 years ago

I figure that she will be going on a Canadian 'good will' tour in the near future.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6  MrFrost    5 years ago

If he was willing, (and I am guessing he wasn't since he is married), Malaria should have ridden the bone. I mean, what's donny going to do? "I can't believe you cheated on me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"? Please... She could cheat on donny in the same room he is sitting in and he couldn't say a word. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6.1  bbl-1  replied to  MrFrost @6    5 years ago

Your last sentence deserves a Nobel.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
6.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  MrFrost @6    5 years ago

He probably wouldn't even notice since he would be glued to Fox.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.3  cjcold  replied to  MrFrost @6    5 years ago
since he is married

In the history of humankind, no husband has ever cheated on his wife with a hot woman.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7  Thrawn 31    5 years ago

You know she is just waiting for him to die, as is the entire world.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
7.1  cjcold  replied to  Thrawn 31 @7    5 years ago

Careful buddy, I've been dinged for less.

He didn't go to Walter Reed for the presidential checkup because he knows he is sick.

Both mentally and physically.