╌>

Boston's Straight Pride Parade is a deranged veneration of toxic masculinity nobody asked for

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tig  •  5 years ago  •  137 comments

Boston's Straight Pride Parade is a deranged veneration of toxic masculinity nobody asked for
From the cosplay contest to the official hip hop artist, a look at the bizarre group courting mockery to make sure people know they're straight.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By   Jonathan Krieger

The Straight Pride Parade is coming to Boston on Saturday, the brainchild of three straight men convinced that they are the victims of oppression. Apparently, the same kind of individuals who spent the last election complaining that everyone-gets-a-trophy millennials are too easily offended have had their feelings hurt. And now they want a parade.

The parade is offensive, it’s disorganized and, frankly, it’s confusing. Their grand marshal has   made statements   that appear to condone priests having sex with boys. Their website   proudly displays   the logos of all the companies who have publicly stated they will not endorse the event. And, at the eleventh hour, the organizers have   turned the march   into a cosplay contest.

With this parade you probably have a few questions, like “Who are these guys?” “Is anyone actually going to be there?” And, “Wait, did you say ‘cosplay contest?’” So here’s all the information you need to make sense of the nonsense.

The event is organized by a group called Super Happy Fun America, because apparently “The petulant homophobes that every Boston-area woman swiped left on” was too on-the nose. Bemoaning what they’re labeling as a backlash against the straight community—there isn’t one — that has left them an “oppressed majority” —they’re not — they’re hosting a march celebrating the fact that they are attracted to women, even if no woman could possibly be attracted to them.

If the event’s three organizers have been feeling that people don’t like them lately, in their defense, that’s probably true — but it’s likely less because of the fact that they’re straight and more because of their alarming number of ties to   alt-right organizations, neo-Nazis and/or white supremacist groups .

And speaking of ties to neo-Nazis and alt-right organizations, let’s not forget their grand marshal, Milo Yiannopoulos, who boasts a long list of disturbing credentials, including   championing the alt-right and promoting both anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim campaigns   and then   resigning from uber-conservative Breitbart amidst the resurfacing of his aforementioned pro-pedophilia rhetoric . And when your views are so disturbing that even Breitbart thinks they might be a bit much, it could be time to reevaluate.

From there, the parade takes a turn from the offensive to the simply bizarre. Their website also proudly promotes a man who goes by G. Notes Justice as “the official hip hop artist of the Straight Pride movement.”   According to the site , he “is changing planet Earth for the better by busting out tunes,” but after checking out   his SoundCloud page , I can assure you that he is not. His not-quite-a-hit-single is called “Straight Pride (YEET!)” —   no, seriously   — and its “lyrics” consist primarily of him proclaiming “I love being hetero” followed by a voice softly whispering “sexual” over and over. It’s ironic that listening to the anthem for the straight pride parade might be enough to make women swear off men altogether.

And finally, yes, there is a cosplay contest. We’re not totally sure what happened here, but Super Happy Fun America recently announced that Saturday now also features a contest offering “a $100 giftcard prize for the best individual cosplay, and a double prize for the best straight-couple cosplay.” For those unfamiliar with the medium, cosplay is the act of participants dressing up as fictional characters, often from comic books or anime. It actually serves as a surprisingly fitting competition for participants in the parade since many male members of the cosplay community have   a history of harassing women   themselves. Plus, if I were participating in a parade like this, I would wear a mask, too.

So what’s a state like Massachusetts —   the first to legalize gay marriage ,   the first to elect an openly gay Congressman , and home to the   second highest percentage of LGBT citizens   in the nation — to do about an event like this one? Well there is a counter-protest   scheduled at City Hall   from nine until noon and another along the parade route at Copley Plaza.

Still, if history’s any indication, there might not be much to worry about. In 2017, Boston was home to a rally in support of the neo-Nazi side in Charlottesville   that only drew a few dozen participants, while the counter protestors numbered in the tens of thousands . And that same year in Seattle, a straight pride parade organizer officially answered the question what would happen if   someone threw a parade and no one else showed up ? Despite inviting over 2,000 people and tallying 169 confirmed attendees online, he was ultimately left to walk solo, carrying a bunch of balloons and a cardboard sign reading “straight pride” in what sounds like a scene from history’s saddest birthday party.

And, on June 13, Boston   played host to a gay pride parade   that energized the city, which was cheered on by thousands. A community once afraid to come out of the metaphorical closets now marched proudly down their hometown’s most prominent streets, and a community once ostracized was now so popular that even buttoned-up corporations like Bank of America and Delta sponsored the event.

On August 31, the turnout to support the alt-right’s limited vision of heterosexuality will be far, far lower.

Bigotry hasn’t been vanquished in our country, that is clear. But days like this aren’t all bad: They remind us that hate is losing, and love is winning. And that’s something of which we can all be proud.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1  seeder  TᵢG    5 years ago

Some people have way too much time on their hands.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @1    5 years ago
Some people have way too much time on their hands.

I agree.

Who has time to march in a parade, or to protest one?

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1    5 years ago
[delete]

lady in black
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  lady in black  replied to    5 years ago

I would say it's the incels that are the worst...blaming everybody but themselves because they can't get a girlfriend and get laid

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.1.1    5 years ago
Tex, i'm so ecstatically overjoyed you are not to take part, it makes me Happy.

Oh, thank God. I live for your personal happiness!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.1.1    5 years ago
Just an excuse for insecure bigots to strut their asz'z in front of other insecure, yet very macho sounding, other men.

Aww. Are you afraid that some gay people got their feelings hurt because someone who was straight had a parade?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.6  MrFrost  replied to    5 years ago

I would say it's the LBGTQ's who are the insecure and intolerant bunch.

Are Gay Pride Parades inclusive? Yes. They don't exclude straight people from participating in their parades, all are welcome. 

Is this group of fucknuts and their straight pride parades going to allow Gay people to join their parade? If a guy shows up wearing pink spandex, nipple rings and ass chaps, are they going to openly welcome them to join their parade? Never in a million fucking years. 

Now what was that you were saying about "insecure" and "intolerant"? 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.7  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.5    5 years ago
gay people got their feelings hurt because someone who was straight had a parade?

Actually it looks like the "straight pride parade" people are the ones that got their feelings hurt. Gay pride parades have been around for decades, straight pride parades? First I ever even heard of one was in 2015. 

Why the sudden need to have one? Because like I said, they view equality as oppression, so they are butt hurt. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.7    5 years ago

So straight people aren't supposed to take pride in being straight, but gay people are expected to take pride in being gay?

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.1.9  Thrawn 31  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.8    5 years ago

What shithead makes a display of being a part of the vast majority? That is like telling me your body is mostly composed of water, and my reaction is the same...cool?

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.1.10  Thrawn 31  replied to  lady in black @1.1.3    5 years ago

W/O a doubt they are the worst. I don't even pity them, they disgust me.

How much you want to bet that half the people marching in the "parade" fall into that category? 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.11  Greg Jones  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.6    5 years ago
If a guy shows up wearing pink spandex, nipple rings and ass chaps, are they going to openly welcome them to join their parade? Never in a million fucking years. 

Why would any self respecting guy dress up that way.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.12  Greg Jones  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.7    5 years ago

Nah...I think they are affectionatly making fun of all those pride filled people. Is it a sin or a crime to be straight?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.13  MrFrost  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.11    5 years ago

The same reason other people wear the clothing THEY choose to wear? 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.14  MrFrost  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.12    5 years ago
Is it a sin or a crime to be straight?

Not to the best of my knowledge. Is it a sin or a crime to be gay? 

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1.15  SteevieGee  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.6    5 years ago
Is this group of fucknuts and their straight pride parades going to allow Gay people to join their parade? If a guy shows up wearing pink spandex, nipple rings and ass chaps, are they going to openly welcome them to join their parade? Never in a million fucking years. 

No he can't be in the parade but would probably win the cosplay contest.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1.16  igknorantzrulz  replied to  SteevieGee @1.1.15    5 years ago

Probably bring home a lot of phone numbers as well 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.17  Dulay  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.11    5 years ago

Never been to Mardi Gras I see. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.18  Vic Eldred  replied to    5 years ago

The words that Jonathan Krieger used is his title were spoken by Alexandria Octavio-Cortez. "Seems more like a “I-Struggle-With-Masculinity” parade to me."

"Super Happy Fun America, the group that organized the parade, said on its website that the event  was held  to "achieve inclusivity and spread awareness of issues impacting straights."

It seems Cortez and some like minded people don't like the taste of their own medicine.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.19  JBB  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.18    5 years ago

It is still legal to deny LGTBQ housing and employment in 26 states...

Institutional discrimination is still suffered by gay and lesbian America.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.20  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @1.1.19    5 years ago
Institutional discrimination is still suffered by gay and lesbian America.

Not in the world I live in.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1.1.22  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.12    5 years ago

Of course not.  But there is no need for these guys to be a bunch of dicks about it, is there?

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1.23  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.8    5 years ago
So straight people aren't supposed to take pride in being straight, but gay people are expected to take pride in being gay?

Gay persons have been historically discriminated against and told to be ashamed of their sexual orientation for centuries. They have been attacked, maligned, ridiculed and deemed inferior and only recently have been given the breathing room by society to exist and feel free to be themselves. And the gay pride parade is one method by which they are celebrating their right rights and their "pride" because it allows them to reject the undeserved shame that has been heaped upon them.

Now, please inform us when the last time straight persons were told to be ashamed of their sexuality. When were they historically discriminated against, told they are sinners, evil, abominations and deviants? The answer is an obvious "Never". So why this need to push some ridiculous straight pride parade? Because what these dumb fuck bigots are really trying to do is push gays back down to where they believe they should be, inferior in all things, even parades.

A straight pride parade is like a birthday boy getting upset that his mom got small presents for all the birthday party attendees so the spoiled little brat demands all their gifts be given to him instead because he's the birthday boy and should get all the attention and all the presents, and then demands his birthday last all year.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.24  Texan1211  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.23    5 years ago

Perfect solution for you.

If you don't like straight parades, don't attend them.

I don't like parades period, so I don't attend them.

Doesn't matter if its a gay one or a straight one or something other.

Professor Guide
1.1.25  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.20    5 years ago

Let me guess...1974 church directory photo?

_v=63f541567269647

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.26  JohnRussell  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.23    5 years ago

We have a thing going on now in society where dominant groups want to act like they have some sort of grievance. Sadly, it doesnt speak too well of us as a people. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.27  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1.25    5 years ago

Wrong again!  You don't know who that is?

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
1.1.28  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  Thrawn 31 @1.1.9    5 years ago
What shithead makes a display of being a part of the vast majority?

Hometown sports fans, religious folk, and anyone else that falls into a "majority" role at any event that is hosted for them that sounds like it might be fun to attend...like Comic Con.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.29  Trout Giggles  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.18    5 years ago
"achieve inclusivity and spread awareness of issues impacting straights."

What issues are impacting straights?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.30  Tessylo  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.23    5 years ago

I remember my best friend growing up, he told his pastor when he was around 16 or so, that he was gay.  His pastor told him he was going to burn in hell.

Years later he committed suicide by walking in front of a subway train.  

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1.31  Raven Wing  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.12    5 years ago

Not at all. But, there is also no sin or crime to be gay either. Those who try to make it a crime are the only sinners.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.32  JBB  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.30    5 years ago

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.33  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @1.1.32    5 years ago

Yikes!  They're some scary looking bitches!

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  TᵢG @1    5 years ago

The other day I was heading to the gym and there was some asshole standing out in front of planned parenthood with a sign bitching and moaning about abortion or some such shit. This was at 4:50AM.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
1.3.1  lady in black  replied to  Thrawn 31 @1.3    5 years ago

Another faux christian that needs to get a life

lady in black
Professor Quiet
1.3.3  lady in black  replied to    5 years ago

No one is pro-abortion, get it [right...Deleted]

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.3.4  FLYNAVY1  replied to  lady in black @1.3.3    5 years ago

Good luck in bouncing marbles off of sidewalk too LiB.....

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2  sandy-2021492    5 years ago
Apparently, the same kind of individuals who spent the last election complaining that everyone-gets-a-trophy millennials are too easily offended have had their feelings hurt. And now they want a parade.

jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
3  Dean Moriarty    5 years ago

The Washington Times did a better job of reporting on this story. 

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jun/28/bostons-straight-pride-parade-critics-have-no-reas/?utm_source=GOOGLE&utm_medium=cpc&utm_id=chacka&utm_campaign=TWT+-+DSA

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1  Split Personality  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3    5 years ago

That article is only background about the potential parade, dated June 28, 2019.

Here are two articles about the actual parade on Saturday.

Basically another event Milo Yiannopoulos should have avoided...

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4  MrFrost    5 years ago

Sounds to me like this group of people are easily triggered.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @4    5 years ago

I think the people protesting the parade had every right to do so!

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1    5 years ago

I think the people protesting the parade had every right to do so!

True, but why would they? They are triggered snowflakes? Maybe they need a comfort puppy and a safe space? As has been pointed out already, they are literally doing what they say Gays were doing a few years ago. I am guessing you support their hypocrisy? 

Seriously, why call it a "Straight Parade"? Why not just call it a parade and be done with it? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.1    5 years ago
True, but why would they?

I have no earthly idea why anyone would give a shit if there is a straight parade or not.

They are triggered snowflakes?

I don't know, but it sounds like they are.

Maybe they need a comfort puppy and a safe space?

Whatever gets them through the awful trauma of seeing s straight parade.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.1.3  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.2    5 years ago
have no earthly idea why anyone would give a shit if there is a straight parade or not.

possibly, so it could have a happy ending, before dark, as a convoluted twisting and crooked path, ps unlike the straight parade path, with that 'straight' line being the shortest n quickest distance between two points on the color spectrum, occasionally referred to, as the rainbow.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.4  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.2    5 years ago
I have no earthly idea why anyone would give a shit if there is a straight parade or not.

Me either, other than the fact that they are triggered and pissed that Gay people have parades. So like a little kid starved for attention, they have a "straight pride parade" is that kid waving his arms in the air saying, "Hey!!!!!!!!! Look at me!!!!!!!!". 

Whatever gets them through the awful trauma of seeing s straight parade.

The people in the straight pride parade are clearly the ones that are triggered... 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  igknorantzrulz @4.1.3    5 years ago

[delete]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.4    5 years ago

So in your view, the people PROTESTING the straight parade weren't triggered and upset.

Got it now.

SMMFH

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.1.7  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.5    5 years ago
You can private message me

Why, ive already explained i don't swing that way, in public , or private.

now before you finish that thought,

i'm joshing with u, so undo that wedgie , n calm down

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.1.8  Greg Jones  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.1    5 years ago
Why not just call it a parade and be done with it?

Very true...but they insist on calling it "gay pride", as if sexual preference is something to be proud of.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.9  MrFrost  replied to  Greg Jones @4.1.8    5 years ago

Very true...but they insist on calling it "gay pride", as if sexual preference is something to be proud of.

As I have said, there have been Gay pride parades for decades. Why do we need straight pride parades? 

Also, it's not a preference, it's the way they were born. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.9    5 years ago
As I have said, there have been Gay pride parades for decades. Why do we need straight pride parades?

why do we need gay pride parades?

Neither are necessary or serve any real purpose.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.11  Tacos!  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.10    5 years ago
why do we need gay pride parades?

Because for so long, people who are gay have been told they should feel shame for what they are. They have been told they should change what they are. They have been told they offend God. They have been told they can't have familial relationships like straight people can. They have been told they can't be trusted around children. They are told that what they feel is not healthy, but a dangerous perversion. They have been dehumanized in every possible way.

If you were told all of that, wouldn't you be looking for a little pride? A little support? Maybe just a little acknowledgement that you are as valued as other people? Maybe you can't even imagine it, but try to have some compassion for people who live it every day.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.12  sandy-2021492  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.11    5 years ago

Excellent response, Tacos!

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.13  MrFrost  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.11    5 years ago

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.1.14  Raven Wing  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.11    5 years ago
If you were told all of that, wouldn't you be looking for a little pride? A little support? Maybe just a little acknowledgement that you are as valued as other people?

Totally agree, Tacos. Very well put, and very true. The Cherokee, and many other Tribes, accept gay members of their Tribe as their equal and valued Brothers/Sisters. While those who call themselves Christians regard the Tribes as being Godless savages, it is instead proof that the Native Americans hold a high value of all human life, regardless of their gender differences. They are revered as being "Two Spirit" people, and are held in high regard in their Tribe.

The Creator does not make mistakes, it is the ignorant and biased humans that make them.

Professor Guide
4.1.15  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.11    5 years ago

Every now and then you shock the shyte out of me in a good way.  This is one of those times.

Professor Guide
4.1.16  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.2    5 years ago

Asking the organizers and participants might be a good place to start.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.17  Texan1211  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.1.16    5 years ago
Asking the organizers and participants might be a good place to start.

It might be--if I actually gave a shit about either group having a parade I would never attend.

I didn't bitch when the gays had their little parade, and I am not bitching now that the straights had their little parade.

I refuse to get worked up over this non-impactful-event.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.1.18  Jack_TX  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.9    5 years ago
Also, it's not a preference, it's the way they were born. 

There is a lot of evidence to suggest they're not actually born that way.  

Not that it matters.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.19  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.17    5 years ago

Then why are you posting on this subject if don't care? Just curious.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.20  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.19    5 years ago

Mainly to be amused by all the fine folks here getting worked up over a freaking parade, dude!

It is absolutely hilarious to me!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.21  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jack_TX @4.1.18    5 years ago

Why would anyone choose to be gay?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.1.22  Jack_TX  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.21    5 years ago

Why would anyone choose a blue shirt over a white one?  Broccoli over cauliflower?  A beach vacation over the mountains?  Baseball over football?  Guitar over piano?  Tequila over vodka?   Country music over hip-hop?

Why do some men prefer Karlie Kloss to Kim Kardashian?  Why do some women prefer Brad Pitt to George Clooney?

The question "when did you choose to be straight" is completely asinine but opens the door to reason entering the conversation, so I'm actually thankful for it.

"Born this way" pre-supposes that the situation requires some sort of excuse.  It accepts the homophobic pretenses like "unnatural" and "freaks", and seeks to mitigate them with "we can't help it...we were born defective".

I respectully submit that starting a campaign for equality with "we're genetic freaks" may not actually be the best way to go.

For a more concrete example, we'll use me.  Personally, I prefer tan blondes with big boobs.  Like all people, it wasn't an active decision I made, any more than I "decided" to prefer blue dress shirts to white or Jack Daniels over Jim Beam.  But I also didn't emerge from the womb looking for Pamela Anderson.

Why would a Brooklyn Decker preference simply evolve over time, but a same sex preference need to be hard coded before birth?  It wouldn't...unless you accept the pretense that it's unnatural and that such people are defective in some way. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.23  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @4.1.8    5 years ago

You insist on calling it a preference when people are born that way.

When did you choose to be straight?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.24  Tessylo  replied to  Jack_TX @4.1.22    5 years ago

No one called them unnatural or freaks or defective except maybe you and the 'Proud Boys'.  Snort.  

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
4.1.25  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Jack_TX @4.1.22    5 years ago
It accepts the homophobic pretenses like "unnatural" and "freaks", and seeks to mitigate them with "we can't help it...we were born defective".

Total nonsense. No one but vile ignorant bigots claim being gay is "defective". Just like being born left handed. Once left-handedness was considered by some to be "defective". But now, most of society understands there's nothing wrong with it at all so we simply had to remove the stigma of left-handedness. So the real defect is in the brain of the bigot who believes they have to treat others with disrespect, ridicule and hate. They are the ones who need to change, not those born gay.

I respectully submit that starting a campaign for equality with "we're genetic freaks" may not actually be the best way to go.

There was nothing respectful in your comment and no gay persons are claiming to be "genetic freaks" as you seem desperate to imagine.

Personally, I prefer tan blondes with big boobs.  Like all people, it wasn't an active decision I made, any more than I "decided" to prefer blue dress shirts to white or Jack Daniels over Jim Beam.  But I also didn't emerge from the womb looking for Pamela Anderson.

Why do you think that's any different for gay people? They don't come out of the womb singing show tunes, but just like you didn't choose to like blonde women with tans and big boobs, their sexual orientation wasn't something they had an active role in choosing. You didn't "choose" to be attracted to women like that, it wasn't just deciding between a blue shirt or a white one as you callously claim, it was an innate predilection. And if society ridiculed you daily for your taste in partners, you'd likely wonder why you were born that way instead of just proclaiming "Well, since it's socially unacceptable to be attracted to tan blondes with big boobs, I'm going to decide to be attracted to flat chested brunettes instead...". And the problem wouldn't be with you, it would be with that bigoted society that ridiculed you for your sexual orientation and what you find attractive.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
4.1.26  katrix  replied to  Jack_TX @4.1.22    5 years ago
The question "when did you choose to be straight" is completely asinine but opens the door to reason entering the conversation, so I'm actually thankful for it.

How so? It's not really a choice in this case - if you're not sexually attracted to women, you can't force yourself to be. Whether it's partly genetic and partly environmental, or was strictly one of those - it still wouldn't be a choice.

I find the question a great way to shut up bigots who claim that gays choose to be gay. Not that it would matter to me if it actually were a choice.

You probably have much less "choice" in your preference for shirt colors or hair colors than most people assume, as well. I think it was an article in Time-Life's recent magazine about habits where I read a really interesting article about that, but it might have been National Geographic. I'm trying to find it to link to it. We're all genetic freaks.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.27  Tessylo  replied to  katrix @4.1.26    5 years ago

Even if it was actually a choice, I agree, who cares?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.28  MrFrost  replied to  Jack_TX @4.1.18    5 years ago
There is a lot of evidence to suggest they're not actually born that way.  

Simple question...

When did you choose YOUR sexual preference? 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.29  MrFrost  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.21    5 years ago

Hook up with a gal about your size....BAM! Doubled your wardrobe. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.1.30  Jack_TX  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.28    5 years ago
Simple question... When did you choose YOUR sexual preference? 

It's actually a stupid question.  In any case it's already been answered.  See @4.1.22

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.1.31  Jack_TX  replied to  katrix @4.1.26    5 years ago
How so? It's not really a choice in this case - if you're not sexually attracted to women, you can't force yourself to be.

Doesn't mean it was a choice.  Neither was broccoli over cauliflower, BTW.

Whether it's partly genetic and partly environmental, or was strictly one of those - it still wouldn't be a choice.

It would be a preference.  Like the many I have already described.

I find the question a great way to shut up bigots who claim that gays choose to be gay. Not that it would matter to me if it actually were a choice.

Well, as most actual bigots lack the intellectual capacity to handle such a challenge, I suppose that might be the sole redeeming use of the question.

You probably have much less "choice" in your preference for shirt colors or hair colors than most people assume, as well.

Notice that I have never claimed any of it was an active choice.  That is the point.  There are more options than "I chose this" or "I was born this way", and those alternatives increasingly appear to be the most valid.

We're all genetic freaks.

I'll go with that.  However despite the fervent efforts of people attempting to find the genetic link to sexual preference, there is really very little actual evidence to suggest it exists.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.1.32  Jack_TX  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.27    5 years ago
Even if it was actually a choice, I agree, who cares?

Exactly!

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.1.33  Jack_TX  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @4.1.25    5 years ago
Total nonsense. No one but vile ignorant bigots claim being gay is "defective".

And yet you feel the need to make excuses for them...as though there is something wrong with preferring a same sex partner.

They are the ones who need to change, not those born gay.

If there is nothing wrong with them, why do you insist they must be "born that way", despite almost no actual evidence to support that assertion?

There was nothing respectful in your comment and no gay persons are claiming to be "genetic freaks" as you seem desperate to imagine.

Frankly, I see the behavior more in emotional straight white liberals than I do actual gay people.  Note the present conversation.

I wish I were surprised to see you asserting firmly that they are genetic freaks and pretending you're not claiming that in the same post.

Why do you think that's any different for gay people?

I don't.  As I have stated, I think it's exactly the same. That is, in fact, the point.  Are you following along at all?

You didn't "choose" to be attracted to women like that,

Nor was I born attracted to women like that.  Do you see the point?  Is the penny closer to dropping yet?

it wasn't just deciding between a blue shirt or a white one as you callously claim,

Why not?  Because you're all hot and bothered over sexual preference?  Because you think it's some sort of big deal?  Are the rest of us required to live in your emotional drama?

Or is it because you can't wrap your mind around the idea that more than two explanations might exist?

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
4.1.34  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Jack_TX @4.1.33    5 years ago
If there is nothing wrong with them, why do you insist they must be "born that way"

What the fuck does being "born that way" have to do with something being wrong with them? People with blue eyes were "born that way", does that mean there is something wrong with them?

Obviously you want to obtusely reply to my very clear statements and completely ignore the point in preference of some ignorant babble because you know your arguments are beyond moronic. It's not as if the fact that many bigots do label gay persons as "defective" is a secret. We see it all the time, and to pretend as if it's those standing up for gay rights that are the ones telling gays there is something wrong with them is just another lame tactic used by many bigots to deflect and distract from their very real hate and discrimination.

If there is nothing wrong with them, why do you insist they must be "born that way"

Because anyone with access to more than half their brain can see how every person born was "born" with certain traits, hair color, height, left handedness, all are "ways" people are born including their sexual orientation. Just treat gay persons like someone born with blue eyes or born left handed and treat them with respect, is that really too much to ask?

Frankly, I see the behavior more in emotional straight white liberals than I do actual gay people.  Note the present conversation. "Born this way" pre-supposes that the situation requires some sort of excuse.  It accepts the homophobic pretenses like "unnatural" and "freaks", and seeks to mitigate them with "we can't help it...we were born defective".

Those are your words, your ridiculous claim that mentioning being "born" with certain traits is somehow an admission that they are "freaks" when nothing could be further from the truth.

Why not?  Because you're all hot and bothered over sexual preference?  Because you think it's some sort of big deal?

Claiming that a person chooses their sexual orientation like they choose different color shirts just shows how ridiculous your flaccid argument really is.

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.35  JBB  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.21    5 years ago

Jack thinks kids want to be gay so they will be more popular at school...

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.1.36  Jack_TX  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @4.1.34    5 years ago
What the fuck does being "born that way" have to do with something being wrong with them? People with blue eyes were "born that way", does that mean there is something wrong with them?

Erm...most white people are born with blue eyes that change as they get older.  I'm not sure that's the happiest of examples.

There is an established genetic link for blue eyes.  There is not for sexual orientation.  Yet you are determined to pretend such a link exists.  Why is that, exactly?  I suggest you feel the need to create an excuse for them because:

It's not as if the fact that many bigots do label gay persons as "defective" is a secret.

So why would you or any gay person give a single millionth of an iota of a tinker's damn what these bigots think?   Why on earth would you allow them to define any part of this conversation, much less drive you to contradict existing research, all in some ridiculous attempt to justify behavior to people you don't respect?  

Because anyone with access to more than half their brain can see how every person born was "born" with certain traits, hair color, height, left handedness, all are "ways" people are born including their sexual orientation.

You see...those of us with full brains in our head are able to understand that hair color, height, and left-handedness have well established and proven genetic links.  Sexual orientation does not. 

Just treat gay persons like someone born with blue eyes or born left handed and treat them with respect, is that really too much to ask?

Or treat them like a guy who prefers a blue shirt over a white one, or chicken fajitas over beef, or Dave Chappelle over Kevin Hart. 

Those are your words, your ridiculous claim that mentioning being "born" with certain traits is somehow an admission that they are "freaks" when nothing could be further from the truth.

Claiming they are born gay when there is significant evidence to the contrary is ridiculous neurotic nonsense.  They don't need you to make shit up to defend them.

Claiming that a person chooses their sexual orientation like they choose different color shirts just shows how ridiculous your flaccid argument really is.

Are you going to at least attempt to read carefully?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.2  Jack_TX  replied to  MrFrost @4    5 years ago

That quickly becomes a chicken and egg situation. 

Who is more triggered...the people marching or the people offended by the people marching?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5  MrFrost    5 years ago

It's pretty sad that these people see equality as oppression.

These are the same people that were crying daily when SSM was passed because, "why should those gay people get to have something *I* have??!".  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
5.1  Jack_TX  replied to  MrFrost @5    5 years ago
It's pretty sad that these people see equality as oppression.

Yes.

Which people?

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
6  Thrawn 31    5 years ago
Straight Pride Parade Is

for mother fuckers who clearly haven't been laid in awhile and have absolutely zero game, zero career prospects, and zero better things to do with their free time.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.1  MrFrost  replied to  Thrawn 31 @6    5 years ago

All true. They need a better hobby than being outraged about another group of people having a parade. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  MrFrost @6.1    5 years ago

Yes, this seed is a great example of that.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
6.1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.1.1    5 years ago

We all suck lol.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6.1.3  Jack_TX  replied to  MrFrost @6.1    5 years ago
They need a better hobby than being outraged about another group of people having a parade. 

Outstanding use of irony, even if unintentional.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Thrawn 31 @6    5 years ago

who clearly haven't been laid in awhile and have absolutely zero game, zero career prospects, and zero better things to do with their free time.

Sounds like a lot of gay guys I know.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.2.1  MrFrost  replied to  Greg Jones @6.2    5 years ago

Sounds like a lot of gay guys I know.

If I had to guess, you don't know any at all. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8  Tacos!    5 years ago

In America, you are free to be a stupid idiot. The straight pride parade is a stupid idea that somehow slipped through the common sense filters (assuming they possess them) of everyone associated with it. 

Is it the stupidest idea ever? I won't say for sure, but it's an interesting competition, at any rate.

2526726.main_image.jpg?strip=all

2526731.main_image.jpg?strip=all

2526733.main_image.jpg?strip=all

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tacos! @8    5 years ago

Those are some pretty bad ideas, there, Tacos.

The guy on the ladder? He's Reason number 43 why men don't live as long as women

But the woman holding the gun to her eye...she's the exception to the rule

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.2.1  Tacos!  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.2    5 years ago
The guy on the ladder?

I love how he's got a buddy to steady the thing for him. Cuz that'll help. Safety first!

katrix
Sophomore Participates
8.3  katrix  replied to  Tacos! @8    5 years ago

Wait. What's wrong with that bottom picture?

Here, hold my beer - watch this!

pat wilson
Professor Participates
9  pat wilson    5 years ago

Didn't see any women in the straight parade, why is that ?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
9.1  MrFrost  replied to  pat wilson @9    5 years ago

Because women are smart enough to avoid butt hurt idiots? 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
9.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  MrFrost @9.1    5 years ago
Because women are smart enough to avoid butt hurt idiots? 

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.3  Tessylo  replied to  pat wilson @9    5 years ago

Because the reason these 'guys' have a straight pride parade is because they can't get laid in a whore house with a stack of $100 bills or a women's jail with a stack of pardons (stole that one from another member).

These 'guys' would lose their shit if women were there.  

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.4  devangelical  replied to  pat wilson @9    5 years ago

maybe there weren't any local women available to march that were sexually insecure due to past incidents in their rwnj childhoods.

JBB
Professor Principal
9.5  JBB  replied to  pat wilson @9    5 years ago

Straight Pride? It was more like Self Loathing Closet Cases On Parade...

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
9.6  bbl-1  replied to  pat wilson @9    5 years ago

Because the women were smart enough to stay away from those guys.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
10  bbl-1    5 years ago

Yeah well, concerning the 'straight pride parade' one can only assume the participants think...………..uh...…...that maybe their societal stature is diminished because they.....uh......Hell, I haven't a clue.  Though I hope there were hot dog venders to keep them fed and lighten their wallets.  

And I bet they bought the, "When you're a star, you can do anything," crap, hook line and sinker. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
10.2  Jack_TX  replied to  bbl-1 @10    5 years ago
Yeah well, concerning the 'straight pride parade' one can only assume the participants think...………..uh...…...that maybe their societal stature is diminished because they.....uh......Hell, I haven't a clue.

So this is how many of us see ALL rallies. 

Welcome.

If you're not careful, you're going to become a straight white fiscally conservative male with a BMW and a single digit handicap.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
11  It Is ME    5 years ago

"Boston's Straight Pride Parade is a deranged veneration of toxic masculinity nobody asked for "

Hmmmmmm ….. Only "Liberal" types seem to NEED "Gay Pride" …… PARADES ! 

But that's AOK ! jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

"Parades" claiming "Which person they'll have SEX with", Is just "Moronic" in the first place. "Parades" weren't invented for that reason. "Parades" were for kiddie fun.....NOT CHILDISH ADULT SEXUAL ACTIVITIES !

I feel sorry for what the Kiddies have to deal with these days !

Fucking Childish self absorbed ADULTS ! jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
12  Tessylo    5 years ago

Have you ever been to Mardi Gras?

I heard that there are folks fucking in the side streets, where ever.

I don't think you'll see that at a Gay Pride parade though.  Though I've never been to Mardi Gras or a 'Straight' parade.

Me thinks these 'proud boys' protest too much.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
12.1  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @12    5 years ago
Though I've never been...……..

WHAAAAAAT The "F" ?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
13  Tessylo    5 years ago

I meant to say I've never been to Mardi Gras or a Gay Pride parade but I'd bet you'd find folks doing it at a Mardi Gras parade and not at a Gay Pride parade.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
13.1  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @13    5 years ago
I meant to say I've never been to Mardi Gras or a Gay Pride parade but I'd bet you'd find folks doing it at a Mardi Gras parade and not at a Gay Pride parade. 

There's a difference ? jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
14  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

Here's the latest update from Boston - many more counter demonstrators showed up, well outnumbering those in the parade:

"There was no serious violence during the rallies themselves, which involved groups of several hundred.

But after the “Straight Pride” group had dispersed, the counter-protesters accused police of protecting “Nazis,” chanted “shame on you” and formed a human chain which police tried to get through, an AFP photographer said.

Officers fired pepper spray and made several arrests."

The Antifa sissies finally   let leak a truth

“We’re covered in black so when we attack these guys we can’t be prosecuted,” said Jon Crowley, an Antifa member who told the Herald that he felt violence was the only way to deal with the people marching in the parade, which went from Copley Square to City Hall Plaza. “They are fascists, 100%. How else are you going to get them to shut up?”

36 people were arrested-   all of the Antifa . To his great credit, the presiding Judge refused to dismiss the charges

A Boston Municipal Court judge on Tuesday refused to drop assault charges against dozens of people arrested at the “Straight Pride Parade” over the weekend, including one counterprotester who claims he did nothing wrong.

Boston police took 36 people into custody during the controversial event on Saturday.

Rod Webber, one of the counterprotesters of the parade, recorded himself getting arrested.

“I’d done nothing wrong so I calmly started to walk away and you can see my video because I turned my selfie stick around and you see that I was targeted,” he said. “I was put in a chokehold and put down and told I was under arrest and they really messed up my leg.”

Webber faces charges of disorderly person and resisting arrest.

Astonishingly- or maybe not- two members of the “the Squad” were   backing the Antifa animals

U.S. Reps. Ayanna Pressley and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, members of the so-called “squad” of new left-wing congresswomen, are backing the anti-Straight Pride protesters accused of assaulting cops and the marchers, and touting a fund for their defense.

An online fundraiser initiated by the Lucy Parsons Center, a Jamaica Plain anarchist bookstore, has raised more than $24,000 for the legal costs of the 36 people arrested at the Straight Pride Parade, including nine charged with assaulting cops.

Pressley, who represents much of Boston, Cambridge and Somerville, retweeted a link to the fund and told reporters in Boston Monday, “I don’t think they should have been arrested, and that’s why I’ve been promoting a bail fund to support them. … They were protesting a racist, fascist, demonstration.”

Ocasio-Cortez, of New York City, tweeted a link and wrote, “One way to support the local LGBTQ community impacted by Boston’s white supremacist parade? Contribute to the Bail Fund for the activists who put themselves on the line protecting the Boston community.”

The bookstore didn’t respond to a request for comment on Monday.

The Boston Police Patrolmen’s Association president   Michael Leary   wrote to Ayanna Presley

Dear Representative Pressley:

I am writing on behalf of the Boston Police Patrolmen’s Association to strongly protest your decision to urge your constituents to contribute to a bail fund for protesters arrested this weekend during the Straight Pride rally in downtown Boston. The Police are assigned to work at these kind of events in order to keep the peace and control any crowds or disorder. Whether someone was there as part of the rally or as a counter protest, the Boston Police officers are there to treat all the same and to maintain order. My members have informed me that the individuals who were arrested on Saturday were not peaceful protesters but were committing crimes of assault against Boston Police Officers. In fact at least four officers were injured by actions of some of the protesters. These officers were screamed at, abused and fought by these so-called peaceful protesters. Your actions in support of these individuals serves only to encourage criminal and disruptive behaviors such as those suffered by my members this weekend. This attitude also further contributes to the growing we/they attitude against police officers in this Country. As an elected official and particularly as someone who has historically worked with the Boston Police Department and the BPPA as a member of the Boston City Council you should be working to encourage Boston city residents and visitors to respect and cooperate with Boston Police officers who are there to serve and protect. The BPPA supports the right of free speech, but free speech does not include the right to abuse and assault the men and women who are appointed to keep the peace.

I urge you to reconsider your support of the protest bail fund. Instead, I hope you will make it clear to your supporters that you don’t approve of violent behavior against public safety personnel.

Sincerely,
Michael Leary
President
Boston Police Patrolmen’s Association

Tessylo
Professor Principal
14.1  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @14    5 years ago

How  many proud boys were in the parade?  About a dozen or so?

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
14.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @14.1    5 years ago

Zero.  You have your wires crossed.

jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
14.2  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Vic Eldred @14    5 years ago

It looks like the Berkeley snuff out freedom of speech movement has spread from coast to coast. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
14.2.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dean Moriarty @14.2    5 years ago

They've been in Boston before. I just wanted to set the record straight. We have so many seeds & articles with false titles and outrageous proclamations.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
14.2.2  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Vic Eldred @14.2.1    5 years ago

Yes and reading many of the comments here I get the feeling some of our members did not understand it was an all inclusive event with an openly gay Grand Marshal. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
14.2.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dean Moriarty @14.2.2    5 years ago

It was both inclusive and tongue-in-cheek.