╌>

An American tennis player has been fined $10,000 for pointing his tennis racket like a rifle at a US Open official

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  32 comments

An American tennis player has been fined $10,000 for pointing his tennis racket like a rifle at a US Open official
Bryan made the gesture during a second round doubles win over Federico Delbonis and Roberto Carballes Baena on Sunday.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

screenshot-2019-09-02-at-093705.png

Mike Bryan has been fined $10,000 by the US Open after pointing his racket at an official like a rifle.

Bryan made the gesture during a second round doubles win over Federico Delbonis and Roberto Carballes Baena on Sunday.

The ill-timed gesture followed a gunman killing seven people in a mass shooting in Texas.

"I apologize for any offense I may have caused. We won the point and the gesture was meant to be playful," Bryan told reporters after the match.

American tennis player Mike Bryan has been fined $10,000 by the US Open after pointing his racket at an official like a rifle.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Let the whining begin. 

I like the fact that the tennis authorities took action.  This is the baby step of a way to wean America off gun love. Point it out at times of key incongruence, like a tennis match. 

Gun laws are too late to stop gun violence. Only a new attitude by the people can stop the killing with guns. 

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
1.1  livefreeordie  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

John loves Gestapo style policing, even on a tennis court 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  livefreeordie @1.1    5 years ago

I like that this will get some publicity. We have a sickness in this country with some people fetishizing guns.  If that guy in Texas had to run around trying to stab people instead of shooting them like a wild west outlaw it is very likely the toll would have been much smaller. 

We have glamorized gun violence as a society and now the chickens are coming home to roost, again. 

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
1.1.2  livefreeordie  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    5 years ago

Hollywood glamorizes gun violence, not law abiding gun owners

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  livefreeordie @1.1.2    5 years ago

Keep your gun on your property. If you take it off your property you go to jail. 

You can have a pistol and a hunting rifle. You dont need anything else. 

113,000 Americans are shot by guns every year. 

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
1.1.5  livefreeordie  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.3    5 years ago

Total nonsense

99.999% of gunowners never use their firearms against another innocent person

secondly, in many states like Arizona and Idaho we have open carry and we do.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.6  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.3    5 years ago

That is 310 Americans shot by a bullet from a gun , every day. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.7  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to    5 years ago

Who is anyone to tell anyone else what to do ?  Why dont you get to throw your garbage from your house all over the expressway?  Why can't you pee anywhere you want when you are outside? 

We do what is best for society. It would be far better for society if we didnt have a gun love culture. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.9  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to    5 years ago

Having a gun love culture hasnt kept America safe.  The U.S. is nowhere near the safest country in the world in terms of crime or violent crime. 

There are countries that dont allow much private gun ownership that are safer than we are. 

So our safety must be compromised so gun lovers can feel "free". Its nonsense. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.10  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.3    5 years ago
You dont need anything else. 

You have absolutely no right to make that decision of anyone.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
1.1.11  Dean Moriarty  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.9    5 years ago

Yes countries like Switzerland have a higher gun ownership percentage and lower crime rate. They don’t have the bloods, crips and Ms13 problems we have it’s cultural. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.12  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  bugsy @1.1.10    5 years ago

The society has a right, through its representatives in governing bodies, to regulate the private ownership of weapons. Otherwise you are living in an anarchy. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.13  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Dean Moriarty @1.1.11    5 years ago

Do the bloods , crips, and MS 13's throw rocks at one another? 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.14  MrFrost  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.6    5 years ago

That is 310 Americans shot by a bullet from a gun , every day. 

They won't care until it's someone they care about. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.17  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.12    5 years ago
through its representatives in governing bodies,

Possibly, as long as they don't attempt to overstep the Constitution. The problem with your post is it is your opinion, and you are advocating your opinion to be the law of the land.

Never gonna happen.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1.18  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.3    5 years ago

Sorry, John- no dictatorships in the US allowed. You don't get to dictate what anyone can or cannot own.

I think it is hilarious. I own 3 guns for home protection. 1 for each floor of my house. 2 hand guns and a semi automatic shotgun. None of which are ever used for hunting.

So by your definition I would be violating the law 3 times over?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1.19  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.13    5 years ago

Nor are the vast majority of them legal gun owners- no matter how many restrictive laws you want to enact.  They are criminals and do not follow the law.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    5 years ago

There should be some kind of discipline just for making personal gestures at officials. They are only trying to do their job the best they can and it's not necessary or sporting to to give them grief for making an honest mistake on a close call.

Having said that, I don't think the punishment needs to be more severe because he used his racket like a gun. I would hope the fine would be the same whatever the particular gesture was.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4  Sparty On    5 years ago

This just in:

NY Dems work on legislation to make operation of "finger gun" .....  a felony ..... more news at eleven.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5  Freefaller    5 years ago

IMO it's a wee bit of an overreaction, a polite please don't do that anymore would have sufficed.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1  Sparty On  replied to  Freefaller @5    5 years ago

Definitely in poor taste but still .... this guy is a poor mans John McEnroe.

Now there was a guy who could really flip out on a tennis court.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Sparty On @5.1    5 years ago

I really miss the days of Connor and McEnroe. There were two competitors that knew how to put on a show both during and after points.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Ronin2 @5.1.1    5 years ago
I really miss the days of Connor and McEnroe.

YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS!!! jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

LOL .... McEnroe was always one questionable call away from completely snapping .... it was fun to watch.  

Good tennis as well!

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5.1.3  Freefaller  replied to  Ronin2 @5.1.1    5 years ago

Lol, if you liked them keep your eye out for a guy named Nick Kypreos.  If nothing else he is entertaining (about 2 weeks ago he went on a 10 min rant at the umpire for not getting him a white towel fast enough).

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.1.4  Ronin2  replied to  Freefaller @5.1.3    5 years ago

I don't watch as nearly as much tennis as I used to. I kind of lost interest when it became all 100 plus mph serves for aces, or long boring rallies with both players fighting to stay as far back behind the back line as possible. At least on the men's side.

Serena Williams domination of the women's side did me in there. I think she is the G.O.A.T. for women's tennis; but after 23 majors it gets kind of old. I know that she is older now, but still manages to make the finals on a regular basis.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5.1.5  Freefaller  replied to  Ronin2 @5.1.4    5 years ago

Understood, trust me it's only a step or two above watching paint dry for me as well, but I do try to keep up on things with the sports highlights show just before bedtime.

but after 23 majors it gets kind of old. I know that she is older now, but still manages to make the finals on a regular basis.

True but I don't believe she'll be in the mix much longer, she's suffering more injuries and there's a number of young guns that can beat her (I believe she was booted in the quarter finals of the currently ongoing US Open)

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6  It Is ME    5 years ago

"An American tennis player has been fined $10,000 for pointing his tennis racket like a rifle at a US Open official"

Really ? jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

I see a bazillion buck lawsuit against the "Escape Club" for this Oldy one (they showed a gun in their Vid, and had gun shooting noises). Someone may use this Vid as a defense as to why they shot someone. jrSmiley_55_smiley_image.gif :

Snowflakes are running Rampant  these days !

MORONS Love SNOW-ING folks !

Don't ever Fucking "Point" a finger at someone when talking to them, they might call the COPS !