╌>

41 shot, 7 fatally, in Chicago Labor Day weekend violence

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  badfish-hd-h-u  •  5 years ago  •  71 comments

41 shot, 7 fatally, in Chicago Labor Day weekend violence

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

CHICAGO (WLS) -- A violent Labor Day weekend in Chicago has left seven people killed and another 34 wounded.

In the latest shooting,  four men were shot   near the King Drive CTA Green Line station at about 11 p.m. Monday night. All four men are expected to be OK.

Davantae Jackson, 15,  was among the seven people shot and killed. The teen was supposed to be starting high school Tuesday. Instead, his family is making funeral plans.

Family members said Davantae was lured outside early Sunday morning by someone he thought was a friend who then opened fire, shooting and killing him just steps away from his own home.

"They called him and told him to come outside," said Alexis Jackson, the victim's sister. "When they told him to come outside and he was guessing he was going to see his friends," she said. "And they did what they did to him after they called his phone."

The shootings occurred as Chicago police increased patrols during the holiday weekend.

Mayor Lori Lightfoot lashed out against Texas Senator Ted Cruz after his tweet about violence in Chicago over Labor Day weekend.

The Republican Cruz said, "Gun control doesn't work. Look at Chicago. Disarming law-abiding citizens isn't the answer."

Mayor Lightfoot fired back, tweeting "60% of illegal firearms recovered in Chicago come from outside Illinois-mostly from states dominated by coward Republicans like you who refuse to enact commonsense gun legislation. Keep our name out of your mouth. "

About 20 minutes after Jackson was shot and killed, a man was killed and a woman wounded in a shooting at a party in Woodlawn on the South Side.

They were gathered about 2:45 a.m. inside of a residence in the 6100-block of South St. Lawrence Avenue when someone at the party opened fire, police said.

A 27-year-old man suffered numerous gunshot wounds to the body and was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center where he was pronounced dead, police said.

The medical examiner's office has yet to release the man's identity or details on his death.

The woman, 34, was hit in the foot and took herself to St. Bernard hospital where she is listed in good condition, police said.

About an hour later, a drive-by claimed the life of one man and wounded another in Archer Heights on the Southwest Side.

They were traveling in a vehicle about 3:54 a.m. in the 5100-block of South Pulaski Road when someone fired shots from a passing vehicle, police said.

A man suffered multiple gunshot wounds to the body and was pronounced dead on the scene, police said.

The medical examiner's office hasn't released details on the death.

The other man, 38, was hit in the chest, abdomen, hand and was able to take himself to Mount Sinai Hospital where he is in serious condition, police said.

On Saturday, two men were killed and three more people were wounded after someone unleashed gunfire at a group of people in Englewood on the South Side.

They were on the front porch of a home about 5:51 p.m. in the 7100-block of South Paulina Street when they heard gunfire, Chicago police said.

The two men, 26 and 32, were killed, police said. The 26-year-old was was hit in the chest and pronounced dead at Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn. The 32-year-old was hit in the chest and thigh, police said. He was pronounced dead at the University of Chicago Medical Center.

Three others, a woman and two men, were also wounded in the shooting.

Witnesses told police they did not see who fired the shots, but one told investigators a dark-colored vehicle drove off from the scene, police said.

On Saturday morning, a man was killed and another wounded in a double shooting in Humboldt Park on the West Side.

About 4:43 a.m., they were in the 3200-block of West Le Moyne Street when someone in a vehicle unleashed gunfire, Chicago police said.

Angel Perez, 18, was struck in the chest and taken to Stroger Hospital where he was pronounced dead, police and the Cook County medical examiner's office said. He lived in Logan Square.

The other man, 23, was hit in the buttocks and taken to Norwegian American Hospital in serious condition, authorities said.

In the weekend's earliest reported homicide, a 42-year-old man was killed in a shooting in South Chicago.

Willie Coker was outside with a group of people about 12:22 a.m. in the 8700-block of South Burley Avenue when shots rang out from an unknown direction, police and the medical examiner's office said.

Officers responded to a ShotSpotter alert and found the man unresponsive with multiple gunshot wounds to the chest, police said. He was pronounced dead at the University of Chicago Medical Center.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    5 years ago

[deleted]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3  It Is ME    5 years ago

They (The Media), never seem to dig deep into what Gun was used in these "Chicago" ..... matters. Probably because it doesn't Really "Matter" in the first place. Only #SomeLivesMatter, depending on the Political Issue being "Pushed" ?jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

The other wild thing about this is....."Liberal Types" NEVER seem to use #Chicagomatters when it comes to their want of "Gun" CONTROL !

Just Weird ! jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.1  Jack_TX  replied to  It Is ME @3    5 years ago
Only #SomeLivesMatter, depending on the Political Issue being "Pushed" ?

Correct.

If black lives actually mattered we'd do something about this.

Hint:  Actually fixing this has zero to do with gun control.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.1.2  Jack_TX  replied to    5 years ago
You could stop and frisk in high crime areas  but that seem's to work to well.

At some point you need to break from shining liberal idealism and move to a more pragmatic approach. 

We need to accept that some bastards need to be removed from society.  Rahm Emmanuel has complained loudly about the revolving door that is Chicago's "justice" system.  When you shoot somebody on Friday and you're back on the street on Tuesday, there is very little incentive for you not to repeat the behavior.

We'll also need to accept the fact that our jails are going to swell, often with groups liberals love to feel sorry for.  We will need to hold our resolve and keep them locked up...because the fuckers shoot people if we let them out.

In Chicago, they'll need to think about things like outsourcing that union trash collection or water billing and use the money they save to put more cops on the street in high crime areas.  This will lead to more arrests and more complaining from groups liberals love to feel sorry for, because as much as people like to demand something be done, they change their tune when "something" means incarcerating their son. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  Jack_TX @3.1    5 years ago
Hint:  Actually fixing this has zero to do with gun control.

Exactly !

JBB
Professor Principal
4  JBB    5 years ago

If guns were not so easily obtained all Americas could feel less under siege!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @4    5 years ago

If guns were banned, only criminals would have guns.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.5  KDMichigan  replied to  JBB @4    5 years ago

What is the difference between the two?

Why do the left have so much faux rage over one and avoid discussing the other? 

Do you know?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    5 years ago

It didn't happen all at once and wasn't perpetrated by some crazy white guy, so there will be no national coverage, no cries for legislation, no blaming of the president, no need for a national conversation. In fact, if we could just not mention it at all, that'd be great.

url.jpg

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6  It Is ME    5 years ago

There was a "Mass Fire " off California, that killed 25 people quickly.

At least Boating requires "Registration", no matter where you buy the boat. jrSmiley_99_smiley_image.jpg

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1  Tacos!  replied to  It Is ME @6    5 years ago

We need better boat control.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Tacos! @6.1    5 years ago

Damn "Registered/Lisc." Boat ...… "Mass" Fires !

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6.1.2  Jack_TX  replied to  Tacos! @6.1    5 years ago

Including banning high capacity boats....

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  Jack_TX @6.1.2    5 years ago
Including banning high capacity boats....

5 or more is waaaaaaaaaaay to much !

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @6.1.3    5 years ago

Chicago mayor slams ‘Republican cowards’ like Ted Cruz over gun laws

Published:   Sept 4, 2019 7:43 a.m. ET

Critics regularly argue Chicago is proof that strict gun laws can’t work, but they’re misrepresenting the facts, says Mayor Lori Lightfoot

MW-HQ601_mayor_20190903153800_ZH.jpg?uuid=56c3eeec-ce82-11e9-b075-9c8e992d421e Getty
Mayor Lori Lightfoot.
shawnLanglois_100.png

By

SHAWN LANGLOIS

SOCIAL-MEDIA EDITOR

What about Chicago?

If you’ve tuned into talk radio, chances are good you’ve heard the host or the guest (or both) deflect calls for increased gun control by pointing to Chicago as some sort of crime-ridden wasteland where disarming law-abiding citizens has directly led to a spike in shooting deaths.

Well, Ted Cruz, who once showed his love of guns by   using an assault-style rifle to cook bacon , tweeted Monday that “ Gun control doesn’t work. Look at Chicago ” after Breitbart News reported that 25 people were shot in the “Democrat-controlled” city over the long holiday weekend.

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot   fired back :

‘Keep our name out of your mouth.’

She deployed the chart below to show that 60% of illegal firearms recovered in Chicago come from outside Illinois — “mostly from states dominated by coward Republicans like you who refuse to enact commonsense gun legislation.” (What’s more, NPR and other fact checkers have   rated as false the claim that Chicago’s gun laws are the country’s strictest , particularly after the Supreme Court in 2008   effectively struck down a municipal ban on handguns . A city gun-registry program in effect for decades ended with the 2013 enactment in Illinois of a state law allowing concealed carry.)

MW-HQ600_EDgEhp_20190903153601_NS.jpg?uuid=0fda8234-ce82-11e9-99ea-9c8e992d421e

She wasn’t finished, either:

Lightfoot,   inaugurated on May 20 as successor to Rahm Emanuel , has called for stricter gun laws in response to the recent mass shootings across the country, and this isn’t the first time she’s gotten into a Twitter   TWTR,   +1.91%   tangle in defense of her city. Last month, she   took the fight to Ivanka Trump   over a tweet following the El Paso and Dayton shootings whose grammatical construction rendered it highly inaccurate.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.4    5 years ago
She deployed the chart below to show that 60% of illegal firearms recovered in Chicago come from outside Illinois

Sounds like her, and other "Liberal" rulers "Enforcement" of a gun free zone in Chicago…… really does suck ! 

That didn't paint her in a good light Tessylo. She just "PROVED" ..... UBER GUN LAWS DON'T REALLY WORK as intended !jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @6.1.5    5 years ago

Nope.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1.7  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.6    5 years ago
Nope.

Nope ….. What ? jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6.1.8  Jack_TX  replied to  It Is ME @6.1.3    5 years ago
5 or more is waaaaaaaaaaay to much !

Nobody "needs" a boat for more than 5 people.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1.9  It Is ME  replied to  Jack_TX @6.1.8    5 years ago
Nobody "needs" a boat for more than 5 people.

I agree ! 

Time for MORE regulation !

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6.1.10  Jack_TX  replied to  It Is ME @6.1.9    5 years ago
I agree !  Time for MORE regulation !

Think about the tragedies we could have prevented with more regulation.

The SS Minnow, for example.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1.11  It Is ME  replied to  Jack_TX @6.1.10    5 years ago
The SS Minnow, for example.

More regulation would allow the castaways to sue the maker "Chris Craft" too !

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
6.1.12  KDMichigan  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.4    5 years ago

Why are you posting this? 

What does it have to do with It Is Me comment?

Here lets just post anything...

Israeli scientists just did a study that proves that sitting on your fat ass actually makes your fat ass fatter. They noticed that paraplegics and other people bound to wheelchairs and beds were developing fat cells in the muscle groups where they were sitting or lying.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
6.1.14  KDMichigan  replied to  Release The Kraken @6.1.13    5 years ago

[deleted]

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
6.1.15  KDMichigan  replied to  Release The Kraken @6.1.13    5 years ago

[delete]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @6    5 years ago

What do mass fires, boating registration, have to do with guns?

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
6.2.2  KDMichigan  replied to  Tessylo @6.2    5 years ago

Absolutely nothing. But I'll help you out here. I think he was referencing  the hypocrisy of the left to be outraged by one death and total lack of concern for the other because it doesn't meet their talking points.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.2.3  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @6.2    5 years ago

No matter what one is required to do....It's always the "USERS ERROR" that causes a problem anyway.

Did that help ?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.4  Tessylo  replied to  KDMichigan @6.2.2    5 years ago

The day I need your help, I'll let you know, which is never.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.5  Tessylo  replied to  XDm9mm @6.2.1    5 years ago

Nothing he says ever goes over my head.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.2.6  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @6.2.5    5 years ago
Nothing he says ever goes over my head.  

Then why the question ?

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
6.2.7  KDMichigan  replied to  Tessylo @6.2.4    5 years ago
The day I need your help, I'll let you know, which is never.  

Obviously from your comment you did. You're welcome.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.2.8  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @6.2    5 years ago

As they say in Russia: ооо мессед it

148-shutterstock_128569691.jpg

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
7  Citizen Kane-473667    5 years ago
On Saturday, two men were killed and three more people were wounded after someone unleashed gunfire at a group of people in Englewood on the South Side.

According to FBI definitions this is a "mass shooting". Where is all the news coverage??? Where is the faux outrage???

Guess it doesn't fit the narrative...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

I was in Chicago once in my life, for a weekend around 60 years ago. Maybe I was lucky to escape alive. Had a great steak dinner there though - if I recall it was a famous steak house with an Irish name.

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
8.1  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8    5 years ago

McCormick and Schmicks?

I've eaten there every Thanksgiving when I'm in town for business. They have an awesome Turkey Dinner they serve on that day!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @8.1    5 years ago

No, remember this was 6 decades ago, and I think the name was more like "Shaughnessy's" (a single Irish name).  However, I can't find anything on the internet about it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8    5 years ago
Maybe I was lucky to escape alive

Buzz, more people come to visit or do business in Chicago every year than live in the entire country of Canada. Chicago had more than 50 million visitors last year.  It is true that some of them are just there for the day, still they "risk their life" , according to you. It's laughable. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @8.2    5 years ago

I love Chicago and visit it as often as possible.

I never fear for my life while there.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @8.2    5 years ago

Never mind just Chicago, I never intend to step foot in the USA again.  I really don't think I want to be in a country where the people panic when they hear a backfire.

It's a pity, because not only have I over my lifetime travelled extensively throughout the USA, even owned with my brother a golf condo in Florida, but I really loved your country, and there are still places I would have liked to see.