╌>

Walmart will bar shoppers from openly carrying guns in its stores and stop selling some ammunition in response to 2 deadly shootings

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kdmichigan  •  5 years ago  •  54 comments

Walmart will bar shoppers from openly carrying guns in its stores and stop selling some ammunition in response to 2 deadly shootings
"After selling through our current inventory commitments, we will discontinue sales of short-barrel rifle ammunition such as the .223 caliber and 5.56 caliber that, while commonly used in some hunting rifles, can also be used in large capacity clips on military-style weapons," Walmart CEO Doug McMillon said in a memo to employees on Tuesday.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Walmart on Tuesday announced changes to its gun-sales policies and asked shoppers to stop openly carrying firearms in its stores nationwide in response to two deadly shootings at Walmart stores in El Paso, Texas, and Southaven, Mississippi.
The company also said it planned to end the sale of ammunition for handguns and some types of rifles, and it will stop selling handguns in Alaska, which is the only state where Walmart sells handguns.
"We know these decisions will inconvenience some of our customers, and we hope they will understand," Walmart CEO Doug McMillon said in a memo to employees.
McMillon said he was a gun owner and that the company remained committed to its long heritage of supporting hunters. The company will continue to sell the shotguns and rifles that it carries.
If shoppers openly carry guns into Walmart stores going forward, store managers may ask the shopper to leave and safely secure their gun in their vehicle before returning to the store. The policies will vary by location, however, and shoppers who are openly carrying guns may not always be asked to leave the store, a Walmart spokesman said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1  seeder  KDMichigan    5 years ago

I personally feel this is good thing, More business for the Mom and Pop stores. I myself would never go to Walmart to buy a firearm, well I actually can't stand Walmart. 

The thing is they have rural areas especially in Alaska where they have run the small stores out of business, so now because they caved to PC culture some poor bastard will run out of ammo and get ate by a Grizzly.

Thanks Walmart.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1  Krishna  replied to  KDMichigan @1    5 years ago
I personally feel this is good thing, More business for the Mom and Pop stores. I myself would never go to Walmart to buy a firearm, well I actually can't stand Walmart. 

The thing is they have rural areas especially in Alaska where they have run the small stores out of business, so now because they caved to PC culture some poor bastard will run out of ammo and get ate by a Grizzly.

Thanks Walmart.

Regardless how you feel about Walmart, they are an extremely successful business.

People had been thinking that Amazon would drive all "bricks and mortar" stores out of business. And that's true in many cases. But a few have survived-- and in fact have thrived. Walmart is one of these. (Another one is Costco).

One Year Chart - Price comparison between Walmart, Costco stocks and the DOW

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.1.1  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  Krishna @1.1    5 years ago
Regardless how you feel about Walmart, they are an extremely successful business.

But what about Trapper John who is going to get ate by a Grizz?

I never questioned the success of Walmart. I'm seriously curious how their new policies will effect people in rural areas like the 3 or 4 Walmart's in Alaska. Their new policy doesn't bother me. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Kavika   replied to  KDMichigan @1.1.1    5 years ago

Walmart decision isn't going to make much difference in Alaska. Fred Meyer has around 20 stores in Alaska and they all sell guns. 

There are no Walmarts in the very remote areas of Alaska. Most are in the major cities/towns. Walmart will continue to sell rifles.

There are numerous individual gun stores in Alaska.

TTGA
Professor Silent
1.1.3  TTGA  replied to  Kavika @1.1.2    5 years ago
Fred Meyer has around 20 stores in Alaska

Didn't know about that Kav.  Glad to see that they're expanding out of Michigan (their first store was in Rockford, North of Grand Rapids, in 1937).  By the way, it's spelled "Meijer".

Walmart will continue to sell rifles.

Not to any pro gun people who read this, they won't.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Kavika   replied to  TTGA @1.1.3    5 years ago
By the way, it's spelled "Meijer".

No, it's spelled ''Meyer''....Two different corporations. Fred Meyer is a WC chain and not the same as Meijer.

BTW, the most popular rifle in Alaska is the 30 06.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Kavika   replied to  KDMichigan @1.1.1    5 years ago

They are going to stop selling .223 and 5.56 ammo....If you are facing off with a Griz with that ammo, you fucked already.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.1.6  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  Kavika @1.1.5    5 years ago

It was a Joke. I shoot a 44 mag to piss off the neighbors.  I know what calibers are.

And before anyone plays the holier than thow, I break out the Mag after the neighbors call cops when we are sighting rifles. If they think my 30 06 is scary a few hot loads on my Mag really gets under their skin.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.1.7  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  Kavika @1.1.2    5 years ago
Fred Meyer has around 20 stores in Alaska and they all sell guns. 

Cool, I'm not familiar with the chain.

TTGA
Professor Silent
1.1.8  TTGA  replied to  Kavika @1.1.4    5 years ago
Two different corporations

Ahhh yes.  It was the Fred that fooled me.  Meijer stores were founded by Frederick Meijer.

BTW, the most popular rifle in Alaska is the 30 06.

Oh yeah.  Big enough to take down anything but the big bears with excellent long range characteristics and, depending on the weapon, moderate recoil (I've used both of the military weapons in that caliber and found that the M-1 Garand kicks like a mule (I've still made hits out to 800 yards; they just hurt a lot), while the M-1903 Springfield doesn't have much apparent recoil at all and is even more accurate.  Difference in stock length and drop. 

My personal favorite in cartridges is the .30-06's little brother the 7.62 NATO or .308 Winchester.  It has the same hitting power and accuracy but comes in rifles that are a lot shorter and lighter (a feature that I've found more and more important as I've gotten older). 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  KDMichigan @1    5 years ago

I think in Alaska most folks get their bullets from the local fish and gaming spot, so I doubt that is an issue for them or Walmart.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.2.1  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2    5 years ago

I don't know Perrie, It only takes one time and Walmart should be held accountable. /jk

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  KDMichigan @1    5 years ago

News just out. CVS for sure and Walgreens, Krogers, and others to follow have jumped on the corporate BS knee jerk progressive leftist liberal snowflake bandwagon barring open carry in their stores. I carry concealed anyway, so screw em!

Ender
Professor Principal
1.3.1  Ender  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.3    5 years ago

I thought corporations were people too and had free choice.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
1.3.2  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Ender @1.3.1    5 years ago

You would be right to think they are people. It is right there in the definition. 

cor·po·ra·tion
/ˌkôrpəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun
  1. a company or group of people authorized to act as a single entity (legally a person) and recognized as such in law.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.3.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ender @1.3.1    5 years ago

They are, but who said they ever make correct or reasonable choices?

charger 383
Professor Silent
3  charger 383    5 years ago

Walmart charges too much for .223

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
3.1  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  charger 383 @3    5 years ago

I bought .22 there once when supply was low during the Obama era. That's it. I get my ammo from a local sports shop.

TTGA
Professor Silent
3.1.1  TTGA  replied to  KDMichigan @3.1    5 years ago
I bought .22 there once when supply was low during the Obama era

So did I.  Won't happen again though.

"We know these decisions will inconvenience some of our customers, and we hope they will understand," Walmart CEO Doug McMillon said in a memo to employees.

Certainly we understand.  Walmart has chosen to go anti gun; therefore, gun people will choose to go anti Walmart.  They don't sell anything that we can't get almost as cheap or even cheaper than Walmart somewhere else.  Businesses that restrict carrying weapons have needed a sharp lesson for a long time.  Walmart seems to have elected itself to deliver that lesson; the lesson being, "Openly show yourself to be anti gun and you will lose a significant amount of business".

And I don't even do open carry, I prefer to retain the advantage of surprise.  It gains me a clean 3 seconds in reaction time.  Most of the open carry guys figure that they're making a political statement or that they can deter crime.  I don't carry weapons to make political statements, nor does open carry deter crime.  Dead armed robbers lying on the sidewalk deter crime.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
3.1.3  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  TTGA @3.1.1    5 years ago
Dead armed robbers lying on the sidewalk deter crime.

Fear of the unknown keeps them honest.

TTGA
Professor Silent
3.1.4  TTGA  replied to    5 years ago
I went to a Walmart over the weekend for the first time in awhile to buy a fishing lure the place was trashed all the lures were off the pegs and on the floor the whole store was a wreck. 

You were probably following not far behind the "ladies" in the pictures up above.  They both look like they could leave a trail of destruction behind them without even trying hard.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
3.1.5  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  TTGA @3.1.4    5 years ago

lol you didn't start the video? It's more than just "Ladies". 

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.1.6  katrix  replied to  TTGA @3.1.1    5 years ago
Walmart has chosen to go anti gun; therefore, gun people will choose to go anti Walmart.

I seriously doubt this will impact Walmart's business very much. Most people don't buy their ammo there in the first place. You act as though it's a personal insult if Walmart chooses to reduce its potential liability; especially as they are apparently going by location. The Walmarts that were mentioned in Alaska? I'd imagine they'll still let people carry, since it's kind of necessary to carry a gun in many places in Alaska.

As a responsible gun owner who lives in an area where any yahoo can carry, whether they've shown proficiency, understand the safety rules, and have a clue how to act in an active shooter situation or not - I'd personally prefer NOT to shop where these yahoos are carrying. I think if you choose to carry, you have a responsibility to train regularly.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Sparty On  replied to  katrix @3.1.6    5 years ago

My entire state is open carry.   Problem is few people know that and most people do freak out if they see someone doing it.

Here's the thing about open carry.   Crooks and criminals will rarely do it.   Why?   Because it gives authorities/cops probable cause to come up and hassle them and if they are carrying illegally they are busted.

Always more to the story than meets the eye.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.1.8  katrix  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.7    5 years ago
My entire state is open carry.

Same here.  I'd actually prefer people to open carry in my area - since I can't tell who actually knows what they're doing, I'd just rather not be around them. But if I were going to carry, I would go concealed.

It's different when I go to my friend's cabin in a really remote area. Everyone around there seems to open carry, but then, those people also generally know what they're doing because they practice often and hunt a lot.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Sparty On  replied to  katrix @3.1.8    5 years ago
But if I were going to carry, I would go concealed.

I agree .... no if about it.  

I honestly don't understand peoples desire/need to open carry.   I'm really not comfortable in an area like that either.   Especially when i know some of the yahoo's that are doing it.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.10  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.7    5 years ago

I remember an episode of All In The Family where Archie was being interviewed about airplane hijackings.  His solution was to arm all of the passengers so that the hijackers would be outnumbered.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.11  Sparty On  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1.10    5 years ago

Lol, Archie was a trip that's for sure.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
3.1.12  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.7    5 years ago
My entire state

Your state? I don't think so mister. M go Blue.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.13  Sparty On  replied to  KDMichigan @3.1.12    5 years ago

Spoken like a true Michigan fan ...... you ain't all that and a bag of chips there son

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
3.1.14  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.13    5 years ago

Now now little brother...jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

jrSmiley_26_smiley_image.gif I should keep my mouth shut, Michigans record sucks against State lately....

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.15  Sparty On  replied to  KDMichigan @3.1.14    5 years ago
I should keep my mouth shut

You sure should big sis but ..... like usual you can't help yourself and then you give us great lifetime memories like this:

Ah yes, the surrender cobra ....... good times!

jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
3.1.16  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.15    5 years ago

Really Sparty? 

I'm flagging your post as no value.jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.17  Sparty On  replied to  KDMichigan @3.1.16    5 years ago

C'mon man!   You started this

That one was a classic ..... right up there with the fake kick against Notre Dame in 2010.   A couple of my most precious sports memories.

Although Chip Kelly's face wasn't quite as satisfying as Jimmy's was.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
3.1.18  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.17    5 years ago
That one was a classic ...

Yes it was. I remember it well.

I'm not one to celebrate before the fat lady sings and I didn't in that game. 

The MSU fans I was watching it with had given up the game and succeeded defeat and I'm like the game isn't over yet....Needless to say they took our money and rubbed it in our faces. jrSmiley_99_smiley_image.jpg

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.19  Sparty On  replied to  KDMichigan @3.1.18    5 years ago

I felt sorry for most of my family and friends who are U of M fans.   All except for the perpetually over-arrogant ones.   They got their faces rubbed in it .... because they deserved it. 

If i could shake Mike Harts hand i would do that as well.   He did more with that comment to make us good in that stretch than any other single person.     No doubt about it.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2  Sparty On  replied to  charger 383 @3    5 years ago

Really .... if you're buying your ammo there you deserve to get ripped off.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
4  livefreeordie    5 years ago

In Walmart’s in more rural Arizona it’s just not unusual to see open carry inside a Walmart. I always considered that a good thing

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.1  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  livefreeordie @4    5 years ago

I don't really notice things like that, I mean I would notice someone open carrying or even concealed but it isn't memorable. You know what I mean?

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.2  Krishna  replied to  livefreeordie @4    5 years ago

In Walmart’s in more rural Arizona it’s just not unusual to see open carry inside a Walmart. I always considered that a good thing.

I believe that in the past their policy in that regard varies-- its was  consistent with the laws of whatever state a particular store was located in. So there was no single policy that was the same for all of their stores nationwide.

This is a difficult issue for businesses-- whatever their policy on a controversial issue, they are bound to make some people very happy with the policy but alienate other people.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.2.1  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @4.2    5 years ago

Here's an example of that:

Heated calls for boycott of Equinox, SoulCycle over owner’s support for Trump

(Some boycotts based on political views are successful-- others may have mixed results, while aren't and may actually backfire)

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  livefreeordie @4    5 years ago

I live in SE SE Arizona in Cochise County right on the border. Not unusual to see ranchers and other folks that live outside of town carrying in the Douglas Walmart all the time. It is also the only place to buy ammo in town. The next Walmart is a hour away in Sierra Vista. Probably a good thing I usually carry concealed anyway. Why make a target if myself?

katrix
Sophomore Participates
4.3.1  katrix  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.3    5 years ago
Probably a good thing I usually carry concealed anyway.

I really don't understand why people open carry. It just freaks some people out, possibly makes you a target, and doesn't seem to have any advantage over concealed carry.

It is also the only place to buy ammo in town

A lot of people I know buy their ammo online. One guy would usually have his shipped to my house because his state had different purchase rules for the magazines (not ownership, just what could be purchased - they're legal to own if purchased out of state).

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.3.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  katrix @4.3.1    5 years ago

I order mine online as well or drive a hour to the nearest military facility and but it at the PX.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7  Sparty On    5 years ago

I've got a different take on this than many on both sides of this debate.  

Being a business owner, who for liability reasons only, has a policy which denies all employees any carry privileges (open or otherwise) while on the clock.    I think it should be the business owners right to allow or disallow such things.   Not the fed, state or municipality.   Legally it's not their asses on the line if some crackpot carries in and starts shooting the place up.  It's the business owners ass and all the other people who depend on his/her business.

Potential employees who didn't like our policy were free to seek employment elsewhere.   Just like people don't have to shop at Walmart if they don't like their policies.

This isn't having segregated restrooms and water fountains.   It's a basic liability issue for ownership.   Nothing more, nothing less.